New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Iron Crisis (OOC)

Welcome to the OOC thread. The third IC thread is here.

Second IC thread is here

The First IC Thread is here.

Please pick a speech colour too. I'll be using a variety of them that people don't pick.

Player Character Class
    RandomWombat Cheerful Sam Warlock
    Spore Senna Candlebright Cleric
    purepolarpanzer Caelyn Syol'arael Druid
    Archmage1 Grok Magmaforge Paladin
    Awful ??? Fighter
    Bobthewizard Leaf Ranger/Rogue

Spoiler: Premise/Intro
    Show
    The Lord of Murder shall perish
    But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny
    Chaos will be sown from their passing
    So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Nestled atop the cliffs that rise from the Sword Coast, the citadel of Candlekeep houses the finest and most comprehensive collection of writings on the face of Faerun. It is an imposing fortress, kept in strict isolation from the intrigues that occasionally plague the rest of the Forgotten Realms. It is seculuded, highly regimented, and it is home.

You’re shaken awake one morning. Your foster father, Gorion, tells you that you need to collect your things and prepare for a journey, to meet him by the gates once done. He drops a coinpurse on the table and vanishes out the door. As you shake away the last remnants of sleep, you hear him do the same with your other “siblings”, foster children he’d brought back from who knows where – a childhood before Candlekeep long since forgotten. Sun’s first light is just bleeding through the windows. So much for chores.

For those who've played it - yes, this is an adaptation of Baldur's Gate 1. At least to start with. No guarantees it goes the same way. If you've got no experience with it, great! If you know everything about it, also fine but please don't spoil/metagame for those who haven't and aren't familiar, same with any sort of premade module/adventure.

Spoiler: Big 16 Again
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    5e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Forgotten Realms, specifically the sword coast. Time period is 1368 DR, though if you’re not familiar with the setting I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

3-6

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Forums. I usually use mythweavers for sheets, but if you’ve got an alternative (dndbeyond) that’s fine too.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

1st level – Milestone leveling. If all goes as planned, expect to reach 10th-11th by end of campaign, just in case that matters

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Standard character wealth.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Any classes/archetypes from published stuff. Any homebrew just ask.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

No warforged, but otherwise any FR race, though I might veto if I’ve forgotten something.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

27 Point Buy.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Not fussed beyond “must be able to work in a group”.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Allowed, not fussed.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

People will roll their own dice. If you’re forcing a save against someone else, roll in your post to speed things up – can apply modifiers later. I’ll be doing the same.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Everyone gets a free feat. No real HRs other than that, could change along the way.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

As very young children, you were brought from homes long forgotten to Candlekeep, a fortress-library on the Sword Coast. There you were raised by your foster father (dutiful and kind, though often absent) and the other monks alongside your ‘siblings’, though you weren’t all brought together at the same time. You've not stepped outside the walls since entering, and so Candlekeep is all the life you've ever known. You all know each other, though how close/how much you like one another is entirely up to you.

Max age of 25. Min age of 15. What sort of kid you were beyond that is up to you, and if you can justify a specific Background for a kid raised in candlekeep (eg. Criminal) that’s fine, but some (eg. Sailor, Faction Agent) are going to be off limits for obvious reasons. You might have a soldier background working with the keep guard, or merchant apprenticed to Winthrop the innkeep and learning from passing traders.

I don’t need any long details but if you want to, feel free. A paragraph works fine to hit the high notes of personality/style.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Hack+slash/RP, probably not much puzzle solving.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

I’ve got most books for 5e, if you’re concerned about anything unusual/UA/homebrew ask. Blood Hunter’s allowed, since that’s a common ask.

Spoiler: Item Hopelists
    Show

Spoiler: Senna
    Show

Dear Satan.

Even though I was a bit naughty this year, I wish for the following:
    - a Bag of Holding for senseless looting
    - Heward's Handy Haversack for even MORE senseless looting. I promise not to evoke a rip in space and time if I get both things.
    - a necklace of prayer beads. I like my wizard spells, but I have to be there for my family.
    - a wand of magic missiles. Did I mention I like wizard spells?

I have many more wishes, that include stat boosting items or magic weapons but frankly they are incredibly silly. For one, +1 items are deadly boring to me. Stuff like Gauntlets of Ogre Strength oddly don't go on the fighter, because his strength is already insane. Then stuff that just clashes with style. Me getting bracers of archery would be insanely good, but I feel Caelee and/or Melian would take affront for me to be elvier than them. Plus some items are just made in such a way that Senna would never keep them for herself.

I like stuff that adds to my tool kit, or take stress out of my in group duties of buffing and healing so I can add other spells. Other than that, in the case of cleric items, I love these insanely divine stuff like candles of invocation, holy avengers, prayer beads or valkyrie helms. Even though in Senna's case, these items would rather be "a book that allows her to cast assorted bard/wizard spells", a statuette that allows her to summon a pegasus, a tabard with her god's holy symbol that allows her to provide bardic inspiration. Or something that shores up her frankly stupid options for Channel Divinity. Maybe just a copy of another cleric domain's ability, that expends the thing like regular, like Protection or Light domain's.

Spoiler: Sam
    Show
    Dear Bahamut Claws,

All I want for Dragonyule is a magical book of jokes that cause funny effects when they are told. I've been a very good boy and only made a bet with a Hellspawn once this year.

Sincerely, Sammy

Translation: A more jester-themed Bard-flavored take on The Grimoire of Questionable Spells, a magic item I've played with once or twice that produces a set number of scrolls for unusual spells each day. They can range from useless to surprisingly helpful.

Aside from the joke item, I don't have any set plans for items I want or am after. I don't know the 5e magic item list very well so I'm happy to take whatever comes my way.

Spoiler: Caelyn
    Show

Dear Santa,

I would really like a new staff- a staff of the woodlands, a staff of healing, or some other cool staff that lets me cast more spells.
    Along those lines an Ioun Stone of Recovery would be really cool. More spells make Caelee happy.
    Alternatively, a longbow that uses Wisdom for attacks and damage rolls would be pretty cool.
    Ioun stones are nifty, even if they don't recover spells.
    Additional wildshapes (and therefore more summonings) would be rad.
    And scrolls and jewelry make great stocking stuffers!

Sincerely,
    Caelyn Syol'arael.

Spoiler: Melian
    Show
    - To the Private Secretary of The Wonderworker -

Sir,

While conducting studious research at the renowned learning institution of Candlekeep I found references to your personage across multiple scholarly works dating back several editions. I attach a copy of the most recent article I located but I am confident its description matches that found on even older publications.

It would seem tradition dictates I must first assure you I have strived toward exemplary behavior this past year and, while I may have given in to pranking my siblings on occasion and have indeed shirked my menial duties in favor of more scholarly pursuits, I entreat you to judge me favorably based on the whole of my actions as these have, I believe, yielded a positive net result toward goodness. It must then follow that I have been rendered immune to any coal dispensing for the time being.

This new section should now, as my research indicates, provide a list for material compensation in exchange for the aforementioned "good behavior". I submit said list for your approval; where applicable I have used technical jargon to facilitate understanding.

A magical (and preferably long) sword which can be wielded with finesse. Growing up I have always been partial to Flametongues and particularly Sunblades. I cannot overstate the significance of the Moonblade to my people and culture and would be delighted to be judged worthy or such an item. Researching old editions has also indicated the existence of the Artblade - alas a lost artefact which I hope one day be recovered.
    Historically, bladesingers have been clad in light magical elven chainmail. While it seems that modern versions do not allow for a bladesinger to truly display their art perhaps you can manufacture one according to an older formula.
    I would certainly not deny that magical elven chainmail may be eschewed in favor of the traditionally arcane white Robe of the Archmagi.
    Some nice jewelry may be desirable, such as rings of free action or of spell turning or perhaps an amulet of health.
    My cloak is getting a tad threadbare and a nice new cape of the mountebank, cloak of displacement or perhaps of arachnida would replace it nicely.
    On the subject of footwear, a pair of slippers of spider climbing might do well to keep my feet warm.
    Some reading material would also be great. I've read rave reviews of the Manuals of Bodily Health and Quickness of Action though, truth be told, I would really like a copy of the Tome of Clear Thought.
    Perhaps an original first printing of the Tome of the Stilled Tongue?
    Ioun stones!
    Spell gems!
    I would also like to meet more friendly students of the arcane arts who are willing to share spellbooks with me since learning spells from spell scrolls has become insane.

I hope this list has met all tradition requirements and that this missive finds you in good health. I would enjoy the opportunity to discuss the circumstances that led a group of elves to assist you in your endeavors in what seems to read as indentured servitude spanning several centuries but I digress - and leave you now to your works.

Yours faithfully,
    Melian Galanodel

Spoiler: Thalantyr's Shop
    Show

Spoiler: Ammunition
    Show

Dart +1 (300) – 30gp / 5
    Dart +1 of Acid/Ice/Fire (300) – 56gp / 5
    Arrow +1 (300) – 30gp / 5
    Arrow +1 of Acid/Ice/Fire (300) – 56gp / 5
    Bolt +1 (300) – 30gp / 5
    Bolt +1 of Acid/Ice/Fire (300) – 56gp / 5
    Bullet +1 (300) – 30gp / 5
    Bullet +1 of Acid/Ice/Fire (300) – 56gp / 5

'of Acid/Ice/Fire' ammunition deal an extra +1d6 damage of that type on a hit.

Spoiler: Potions
    Show

Potion of Fire Resistance (3) – 568gp (Resistance to Fire damage for 1 hour. Upgrades existing resistance to Immunity)
    Potion of Healing (3) – 50gp
    Elixir of Health (3) – 355gp
    Potion of Cold Resistance (3) – 355gp (Resistance to Cold damage for 1 hour. Upgrades existing resistance to Immunity)
    Potion of Explosions (3) – 639gp (Use an action to throw this potion to a square within 30. Casts Fireball centred on that square with DC12 save)
    Potion of Darkvision (3) – 142gp
    Potion of Insulation (3) – 241gp (Resistance to Lightning damage for 1 hour. Upgrades existing resistance to Immunity)
    Potion of Magic Blocking (3) – 2130gp (Blocks all level 5 or lower spells for 10 rounds, friendly or otherwise, and ends any existing level 5 or lower spell effects currently active)
    Potion of Mirrored Eyes (3) – 568gp (Immunity to petrification and gaze attacks for 1 hour)
    Potion of Perception (3) – 497gp (Advantage of Perception and Sleight of Hand checks for 8 hours)
    Potion of Regeneration (3) - 710gp (Heal 1 HP every 6 seconds for 8 hours)
    Potion of Insight (3) – 426gp (Advantage on any Wisdom skill checks for 8 hours)
    Potion of Strength (3) – 497gp (Sets your Strength to 18 for 10 rounds)
    Potion of Freedom (3) – 355gp (Gain Freedom of Movement for 2 rounds)
    Potion Case (1) – 284gp (Extradimensional storage space that works only for potions)

Spoiler: Scrolls
    Show

Weave Protection from Acid/Cold/Electricity/Fire/Poison/Undead/Magic (1 of each) – 1065gp
    Spoiler
    Show

A Weave Scroll can't be scribed and copied into a spellbook, instead representing a true 'one use only' scroll. It can, however, be used by any class with the spellcasting or pact magic ability. The scroll costs an Action to use, and affects you and up to 5 other creatures you choose within 30'.
    For the 'elemental' protection scrolls, it gives Resistance to the damage type for 8 hours.
    For the 'Undead' protection scroll, it gives Resistance against any and all physical attacks made by any undead creature for 8 hours, and imposes Disadvantage on any attacks made.
    The 'Magic' protection scroll is an exception, affecting only the user. It creates a invisible 3' radius globe of anti-magic around the user that travels with them that prevents any and all spells from passing through, and removing any spell effects currently active on the user. It likewise lasts for 8 hours. Note that this cannot be ended early, and will persist even if the target of the scroll dies.

Shocking Grasp (2) – 74gp
    Friends (2) – 74gp
    Chill Touch (2) – 74gp
    Larloch's Minor Drain (2) – 74gp
    Grease (2) – 142gp
    Mage Armour (2) – 142gp
    Burning Hands (2)- 142gp
    Charm Person (2) – 142gp
    Colour Spray (2) – 142gp
    Protection from Petrification (2) – 142gp
    Identify (2) – 142gp
    Darkvision (3) – 142gp
    Magic Missile (2) – 142gp
    Protection from Evil and Good (2) – 142gp
    Shield (2) – 142gp
    Sleep (2) – 142gp
    Chromatic Orb (2) – 142gp
    Cause Fear (1) – 142gp
    Luck (3) – 284gp
    Blindness/Deafness (2) - 284gp
    Mirror Image (3) – 284gp
    Enhance Ability (2) - 284gp
    Ray of Enfeeblement (1) – 284gp
    Protection from Fear (3) – 284gp
    Invisibility (3) – 284gp
    Hold Person (3) – 284gp
    Hold Undead (3) – 284gp (As Hold Person, except Undead creatures instead of Humanoids)
    See Invisibility (3) – 284gp
    Flame Arrows (3) – 426gp
    Fear (3) - 426gp
    Skull Trap (3) – 426gp
    Vampiric Touch (3) – 426gp
    Minor Spell Deflection (1) – 426gp

Spoiler: Magical Items
    Show

Wand of Sleep (1) – 2130gp (7 charges, action to expand 1 charge to cast Sleep. Regain 1d6+1 charges daily at dawn. If you expend the last charge, roll a d20 and on a 1 the wand crumbles)
    Wand of Cause Fear (1) – 2840gp (7 charges, action to expand 1 charge to cast Cause Fear, DC15. Regain 1d6+1 charges daily at dawn. If you expend the last charge, roll a d20 and on a 1 the wand crumbles)
    The Horn of Kazgaroth (1) – 12780gp (“When you blow the horn, it gives you impeccable defences against enemy attack for a short time, though it does cost you some energy to do so”)
    The Claw of Kazgaroth (1) – 14200gp (“A dangerous item, it boosts your defensive powers but saps your life to do so. I've not got quite the stamina to deal with it, or I'd be using it myself.”)
    Robe of the Good Archmagi (1) – 29110gp (Can only be attuned by a sorcerer, warlock or wizard of Good alignment)
    Robe of the Neutral Archmagi (1) – 29110gp (Can only be attuned by a sorcerer, warlock or wizard of Neutral alignment)

Last edited by Amnestic; 2022-11-19 at 05:08 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis (OOC)

Senna will pick a dark orange, like the candles she used and uses to study to.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Thrilled I got in!

Looking over people's sheets now. I'm going to wait till everyone else picks their colors to pick mine (thinking saddle brown, green, or teal but if all those wind up taken it's no big deal). I'd ask nobody pick colors that are too bright please (so not the yellows except Golden Rod anything in the teal line below Teal or Lime) as these ones hurt my eyes. In the case two people want a blue color, royalblue is pretty distinct from the default blues.

Edit: @Amnestic: If you don't mind, I'll be switching Investigation proficiency to Deception since... somehow we wound up with a party without that.
    Edit 2: Amnestic, if it's not a spoiler of some kind what languages might be useful to know? I was thinking maybe Dwarven and Undercommon? Those seem feasible given Vyvian's background.

By process of elimination, Vyvian's speech color is Teal.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-03-28 at 12:47 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post

Edit: @Amnestic: If you don't mind, I'll be switching Investigation proficiency to Deception since... somehow we wound up with a party without that.
    Edit 2: Amnestic, if it's not a spoiler of some kind what languages might be useful to know? I was thinking maybe Dwarven and Undercommon? Those seem feasible given Vyvian's background.

[I'll edit my color choice here later.]
    Fine to switch skills.

Undercommon may come up far in the future, but languages probably won't be important for a while, so options are fairly open. Then again, languages are rarely a big deal in 5e, for better or worse.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelee will speak in Green and would be a great sibling. Just great. Except when she's talking about how adult she is. how she has to watch out for her younger siblings, and when she is running around Candlekeep trying to climb to higher and higher points to stay away from the monks.

EDIT- As far as sibling relationships I think we already established that Aintas and Caelee would both spend time together in whatever passes for nature in Candlekeep. She would also be secretly envious that he was the "first" of our siblings to come to Candlekeep and of his fully developed body, since hers is a bit awkward for her age.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-03-28 at 11:45 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey everyone, well-met and let's have a good game.

Aintas will be speaking in Saddle Brown.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Howdy everybody. I noticed we have an almost entirely NG party going on. Just a bunch of good-natured orphans eh? (For now...)

Sam will go with a simple brown, since going with a brighter brass tone would hurt peoples' eyes, my own included.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Howdy everyone! Melian will speak in Bolded Blue.

Gonna look at everyone's characters and suggest some connections.

Melian Galanodel
    Sheet Link: Clicky
    Player: cigaw
    Speech: Blue

Class: Wizard (Bladesinger)
    Background: Inheritor
    Race: Elf (Eladrin)
    HP: 20
    AC: 13
    Passive Perception: 13
    Speed: 30ft
    Initiative: +3

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Melian is tall for an Elf and carries herself with typical Elven poise. She has spent her entire life outside of the Feywild and most of the typical markings of the Eladrin have mostly faded - the only telltale signs now left are gleaming silvery hair and piercing eyes often sparkling of edritch blue.

Her possessions are well-tended and her spellbook gleams with care; its pages filled in tidy, controlled script.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Melian is quick to laugh, but does so in a reserved fashion. She is not quick to forget, though. She bears none of the typical Eladrin haughtiness, her upbringing among Gorion's wards and humble monks tempered her wit with kindness.

She finds fulfillment in the Art and in Academic pursuits and will gladly hunker down with a good book by a fire at night.

Spoiler: Gorion's Wards
    Show
    • Sam: Melian is unsure of what to think of Sam's magic. She understands her own Mage abilities and has a theoretical idea of how Clerics and Druids and even Sorcerers get their powers but a Warlock's pact is almost alien to her. And, not that she'll admit it, from what she's read in books it sounds like the easy way out. Fiendish powers aside, she thinks the Half-Dragon is fascinating.
    • Senna: both academics, Melian finds Senna a kindred spirit and has shared many nights in the Library with her, researching together and discussing theoretical magical texts. Melian even sees herself as tutor figure when it comes to the Weave.
    • Caelyn: Melian developed feelings of kinship to the other full-blooded elf. While Melian is proud of her own magical skills, she's both jealous and proud of Caelyn's affinity to Nature; something an Eladrin should feel as well. Melian absolutely refuses to call her by the humanized name Caelee.
    • Vyvian: Melian's very fond of Vyvian; unconsiously seeing the Half-Elf more childlike than she actually is due to her height and human traits. Melian either acts unfazed or like the pranks slightly bother her but she secretly enjoys them. Every now and again, she pranks Vyvian back. Allegedly.
    • Aintas: Melian has always liked Aintas, finding his discipline in arms admirable though she doesn't think they have all that much in common. Melian and Aintas probably do some sparring together as she starts her path towards the Bladesinging tradition. I'd like to have Aintas teach her how to use a Rapier.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Inspired by her foster father's knowledge of the Art, Melian made especially productive use of her library home, poring over the vast treasury of lore and learning as much as she could. While Gorion was kind enough to teach her the basics, Melian knows nothing can replace real experience and she yearns to travel outside the secluded walls of Candlekeep, hearing the call of adventure every night before she falls asleep.

Melian has no recollection of where she was born. Her memories of her mother are faint - auburn hair the deep color of autumn leaves, a slight scent of spruce and lilac, the soft touch of her embrace and the half-remembered tune of a lullaby she would sing as the stars gleamed in the night sky. She knows nothing of the Feywild and her own people except for what she learned from books. She knows little of how she came to be a ward of Gorion's, except that he knew her mother and felt duty-bound to take an Eladrin babe into his own care; her only tie to this previous life is an ancient tome on the Elven tradition of Bladesingers hastily swaddled together with an infant Melian in a forgotten night of fleeing and despair. Of her father, she has learned nothing.

Spoiler: Familiar
    Show
    Fëanáro

• As Pseudodragon (MM 254) but no attacks and no share Magic Resistance.

Spoiler: Moonblade: Ennama'kaer Ivae
    Show
    Ennama'kaer Ivae - Dawn's First Light
    A long, single edged blade with a slight curve to it; the razor edge of the sword seems to cut light itself. At the handguard the metal is tinted the red-orange of a fresh sunrise, slowly giving away as it progresses up the blade into that of a blue at the tip, mixed with the white of clouds. The handguard is circular, carved with imagery of sunrises and halfmoons. The scabbard is hard lacquered wood with colouration matching the blade. It's distinctly eyecatching, even at a glance.

Runes are carved along the length of the weapon - elven, yet when one tries to read them the eyes slip away, unable to focus or grasp their actual meaning. Only one set - the ones furthest from the grip - are legible, spelling out a single name 'Trinastar'. A previous wielder.

Stats:
    • Longsword +1;
    Finesse property when wielded with one hand only;
    Bonus Action to summon the blade to hand from any distance and across dimensional planes, even if someone else currently is wielding it.

• In the hands of any other wielder it is treated as a mundane longsword in all respects, though they do feel like they're touching something they shouldn't if they hold it, as if they're deeply violating someone's privacy;
    • Though it has no mechanical benefit or hindrance, when you draw the blade from its sheath time seems to slow for a split second, letting you see a moment clearly.
    • To learn the rituals to unlock more runes (and information about the previous wielders), you need to succeed on an Intelligence (History) check that can only be made once per long rest. Unlike the tomes/bells, this is a binary pass/fail rather than steady progression, and you can't receive help.

Spoiler: Boreathar's Tome
    Show

Spoiler: Arcana
    Show
    The ritual Vyvian is looking for is described here. After Senna and Melian's deductions, it becomes clear that the primordial writer was more advanced than the draconic writer, and kept some details from them.

To successfully bind an elemental familiar as described, you will need a portion of elemental essence corresponding to the elemental summoned and the appropriately designed ring, along with a few more common ritual implements such as incense and chalk. For an air elemental, the book recommends iron as the base metal, mixed with a small donation of the intended wielder's blood (usually a few drops at most), and insists that the ring's band, while fitting firmly, should have a gap in it to allow for the 'air' to escape.

The ritual itself will take the better part of a day to complete, and for air it recommends an open air location such as a field or clearing.

In addition to the ritual, Melian notes a few spells that she may be able to use in the future. These are:
    Elemental Weapon, Protection from Energy, Summon Elemental Spirit (UA), Elemental Bane

More time with the book may reveal more spells, as there's still more to read.

Spoiler: History
    Show

Boreathar was a white dragon of some repute. As the 'lowest' of his chromatic kind, he struggled for many years with the distinct feeling of inferiority. He was cunning, yes, but lacked the raw intelligence to grasp magical theory like his fellows - and especially like the Reds, who he disdained above all others. To this end he sought out other sources of power beyond his own. In both humanoid and dragon form, he spent a good portion of his young life seeking the shortcut that eluded him. His fortune was changed when he came across a young water genasi wizard, who he promptly kidnapped back to his lair. Using her expertise, he learned how to control the elements both directly and indirectly in ways that had previously been denied to him, even summoning full elementals to serve his bidding.

The water genasi died in his captivity after decades of slavery, but by that point he had amassed sufficient power and forces to strike out and set his ambitions in motion. An army of elementals streamed from the mountains he made his home into Thay, a still fledgling country at the time. Boreathar's hopes were cut short however when the leaders of Thay formed a pact with one of his hated red dragons, who killed him in single combat. Bereft of their leader, the elementals rampaged wildly until they were all successfully put down (or in some cases, rebound to a new master).

Boreathar's tome itself was discovered years later, penned by both genasi and Boreathar in tandem, though the wizard's name has been lost to time.

The tome itself is considered uncommon for most libraries, and holds a somewhat esoteric approach to elemental binding that defies conventional wisdom and knowledge, so it's somewhat soft-suppressed by the arcanist community at large.

Spoiler: Item Research
    Show

Between Boreathar's Tome, Gorion's spellbook and the Bells, you've now got three items that pose new research options. Not applicable to this long rest, but for each one going forwards you can give me an arcana (or religion, for the bells, but not both at the same time) check along with your intended research subject for further details and potential boons. Don't expect it all at once though :P

• Gorion's Spellbook: first ward opens with a single keyword. Can be forced open but destroys message to us.
    • Boreathar's: Elemental Weapon, Protection from Energy, Summon Elemental Spirit (UA), Elemental Bane
    • Moonblade: History check (pass/fail) to identify how to unlock new abilities.

Spoiler: Changelog
    Show
    • Replaced Booming Blade Cantrip with Prestidigitation. I can wait a few levels for it.
    • Level 2: Absorb Elements, Grease, Arcane Tradition
    • Level 3: Mirror Image, Phantasmal Force
    • Level 4: +2 INT, Booming Blade, Shadow Blade, Shatter
    • Level 5: PB +3, Fireball, Counterspell
    - Scribed: Protection from Evil and Good, Invisibility, Skull Trap
    Last edited by cigaw; 2020-11-22 at 01:34 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I just realized that except for Cheerful Sam Caelee is younger than any other family member. That would drive her crazy, especially since her "little brother" is a massive half-dragon.

EDIT- Oh I just realized that Senna is 17. I guess Caelee does get to be a big sister to someone! Hey, cigaw, do you think it makes sense for my character to look up to yours as an older elf sister?
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-03-28 at 12:48 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I'm thinking Vyvian has a good fondness for Aintas as the only other person without their nose constantly in a book of the siblings. Maybe they spar often?

And she plays little pranks on Melian.

Nothing occurs to me immediately for relationships with the younger ones, though I'll be thinking on it and am happily open to suggestions.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-03-28 at 12:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it would be fun for Vyvian and Caelee to have a bit of a rivalry. They both shoot bows, but Vyvian has more natural talent with sneak attack and a higher dex. Vyvian is one year older but inches shorter, creating an interesting "big sister, little sister" dynamic, and they both sneak out of their rooms at night. When one gets caught and the other doesn't, that would probably breed a little resentment. Seems like the perfect person for Caelee to argue with about who is more mature (of course that shows that Caelee is NOT as mature, but kids don't think that way).
    The Bear is Back.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I love this. It's also funny because Vyvian is clearly (to anyone else at least) not even trying to act mature. She's either indulging herself in her immaturity or mature incidentally.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I am liking what I see on relationships!

I think that Aintas will be a bit envious of Caelyn for her woodland skills and of Vyvian 's stealth skills. He also knows that he is Melian 's and Sam's intellectual inferior, and he is always trying to balance being the 'big brother' to people twice as smart as he is.

14. - Top - End - #14

BlueKnightGuy

Sam is probably well known as the unreliable sibling, since he's constantly being hounded for unsettled debts and hanging out with the 'wrong people' in the keep.

It'd have been jarring with him being the youngest, since a lot of his older siblings would have known him as a small hatchling, but he grew very quickly. Now he's taller than most, even as a runt of a half-dragon.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by purepolarpanzer View Post
    Hey, cigaw, do you think it makes sense for my character to look up to yours as an older elf sister?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    And she plays little pranks on Melian.
    I love both ideas!

Here's my 2cp and I'm absolutely willing to change things up if it doesn't make sense or in the likely event that someone has better ideas!

• Sam: Melian is unsure of what to think of Sam's magic. She understands her own Mage abilities and has a theoretical idea of how Clerics and Druids and even Sorcerers get their powers but a Warlock's pact is almost alien to her. And, not that she'll admit it, from what she's read in books it sounds like the easy way out. Fiendish powers aside, she thinks the Half-Dragon is fascinating.
    • Senna: both academics, Melian finds Senna a kindred spirit and has shared many nights in the Library with her, researching together and discussing theoretical magical texts. Melian even sees herself as tutor figure when it comes to the Weave.
    • Caelyn: Melian developed feelings of kinship to the other full-blooded elf. While Melian is proud of her own magical skills, she's both jealous and proud of Caelyn's affinity to Nature; something an Eladrin should feel as well. Melian absolutely refuses to call her by the humanized name Caelee.
    • Vyvian: Melian's very fond of Vyvian; unconsiously seeing the Half-Elf more childlike than she actually is due to her height and human traits. Melian either acts unfazed or like the pranks slightly bother her but she secretly enjoys them. Every now and again, she pranks Vyvian back. Allegedly.
    • Aintas: Melian has always liked Aintas, finding his discipline in arms admirable though she doesn't think they have all that much in common. Melian and Aintas probably do some sparring together as she starts her path towards the Bladesinging tradition. I'd like to have Aintas teach her how to use a Rapier.

I'll also add these to my initial post.

16. - Top - End - #16

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Sam would unite a familarity with the strange foreignness of a Half-Dragon. He is the only one of his kind we know, and his powers are even stranger, even if his demeanor is not strange but inviting.

I can totally see Melian as a "wizard tutor", that was kinda my thing. I used Tethoril (the mage that gives you Protection from Evil at the start of the game) as my magic teacher tho. It might make sense he taught us both, with Senna's interests quickly going towards helping others rather than the dry research of the arcane.

Caelyn and Senna would have not much in common aside from the basic philosophy of helping people (and/or nature and animals in Caelyn's case). Then again our similar age and naivete could prove to be our strongest uniting factor.

Vyvian would be a nice numbskull in Senna's eyes. A lot of mischief and "curiosity" but no results. She could even get irate when he charms his way out of chores yet again.

I can see Senna nothing short of crushing on Aintas, which is short of weird, but Gorion also never said we shared parents. I am going as far as Grognard is comfortable with this, as it is kinda incest-y. But then, many good fantasy stuff is that, barring the bad BG 2 novel.

Maybe Aintas is best served as a big brother type, and kind of a patient instructor towards melee combat. After all, Senna wears one of the heavier armor types in the group, and while she wields simpler weapons, she needs an efficient instructor as her time is already spread on the arcane, the divine and her leisure reading.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-03-28 at 06:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian is a she Spore.

I think Vyvian has also spent a fair bit of time keeping her younger siblings out of trouble or sometimes getting them into it. Maybe including times when they were getting themselves into trouble they didn't notice. Sam in particular I imagine. Though there might be something with whatever Senna's scandal is if you're open to that Spore?

I'll note that even though Vyvian spent enough time around other orphans, she treats all her siblings like they're her real siblings and would find any relationships between them to be weird and gross. (Though that's not me the player saying don't do it. Just be aware my character will react to it.)
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-03-28 at 05:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe you are right, this IS too tasteless for such game. Senna is kind of a teacher's pet so her worst "scandal" would be to get into forbidden areas of the libraries to sate her curious mind. Maybe she could enjoy gossiping about the people in town with Vyvian, comapring their different views on things.

20. - Top - End - #20

BlueKnightGuy

I guess I might as well do a little bit for each of the siblings as well:

• Melian - I don't imagine Sam has confided in many people about the source of his sudden magic. He's probably allowed most of them to continue assuming he's a sorcerer of some kind. He might be a fool but he's not such a fool as to go bragging about getting magical power from a devil.
      He'd most likely have confided in Melian about the nature of his magic, her being the resident wizard and one of the older siblings. Asking things like how these things work, what he can do with it, etc.
    • Vyvian - One thing the two of them share is the value of Charity - he's often in debts himself, so Sam empathizes easily with those in financial trouble. He'd definitely have helped Vyvian here and there with any schemes and pranks she came up with, probably by acting as a distraction.
    • Senna - Senna would have been a close second, when looking for someone to ask about his abilities. But given Sam being Vyvian's 'partner in crime' a lot of the time, she's probably as annoyed with him as she is with Vyvian.
    • Caelyn - Sam doesn't get her desire to go out and see the world. He's very relaxed and carefree, and he hasn't gotten bored of living the easy life at the keep yet.
    • Aintas - Aintas is a big guy. Probably the only person in the keep taller than Sam, besides maybe some of the guards, and definitely broader. Since Aintas is protective and watchful of his siblings, he's probably pulled Sam out of hot water more than once, and Sam owes him for it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

@Spore & RandomWombat: That all sounds good to me.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by RandomWombat View Post
    • Melian - I don't imagine Sam has confided in many people about the source of his sudden magic. He's probably allowed most of them to continue assuming he's a sorcerer of some kind. He might be a fool but he's not such a fool as to go bragging about getting magical power from a devil.
      He'd most likely have confided in Melian about the nature of his magic, her being the resident wizard and one of the older siblings. Asking things like how these things work, what he can do with it, etc.
    You make a fair point about wanting to keep Sam's Patron a secret. I can change Melian's views of Sam to something along the lines of "well, he's half-dragon, makes sense he's a Sorcerer with all that dragon blood and all" if you prefer or, like you suggested, Melian can be Sam's confidant in this matter. She'll be the protective older sister, trying to figure out how to help Sam come to terms with his abilities any way she can. Up to you, don't want my fluff to dictate what your character reveals!

23. - Top - End - #23

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by cigaw View Post
    You make a fair point about wanting to keep Sam's Patron a secret. I can change Melian's views of Sam to something along the lines of "well, he's half-dragon, makes sense he's a Sorcerer with all that dragon blood and all" if you prefer or, like you suggested, Melian can be Sam's confidant in this matter. She'll be the protective older sister, trying to figure out how to help Sam come to terms with his abilities any way she can. Up to you, don't want my fluff to dictate what your character reveals!
    I think it'd be neat if she's the only one that knows the source of his magic, at least at the start. Probably up until he gets the Chain feature and the Imp familiar manifests. The Draconic Sorcerer shtick will be his cover with everyone else, though he doesn't really 'lie' about it so much as not mention it and act like everything is normal.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

OK, I think I will do a sibling list of my own. Everyone else did an excellent one, after all.

Sam: People say that Sam is one its kind, but Aintas has no point of comparison. Reptilian or not, he is Aintas' half-brother. He is also one of Aintas' headaches, because he is a trouble magnet, but Aintas knows that Sam has a well-meaning, good soul. On truth, Aintas admired Sam's trouble-free spirit.

Senna: Aintas likes Senna, and they share a likeness for painting, It is to Senna that Aintas shows his sketches. Aintas also relies on Senna's good sense and trustworthiness and she is the one in which he will spill his troubles more easily. Plus, she is as good in wielding armor as he is, and Aintas is both proud and envious of hos she has mastered bith magic and weaponry.

Caelyn: Aintas has spent a great deal of time with Caelyn in the outdoors. She is much better at it than he is. However, for reasons unknown, Aintas believes that he is more wise to the world that Caelyn- he is just as cloistered as she is- and believes that Caelyn does not understand that people can die out there.

Melian: Melian and Aintas are very different, but Aintas has a deep respect for Melian's intelligence and discipline. She almost never gets in trouble and she is always to be found with a book in her lap. From all his siblings, Melian is the one who Aintas can fathom the least. However, Melian came to Aintas a few months ago to ask about using a rapier. Aintas is secretly very proud that he can teach anything to Melian, who seems to know everything. She will be very good with it, too, as in everything she studies.

Vyvian: Vyvian can be as bad as Sam sometimes, but, five times out of ten, she will be the one to help him out of a mess. To Aintas' eyes, it is a shame, because her stealth skills are fantastic and she has an eye for combat, If only she took things more seriously...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

IC Thread is now up

Giving people time to say goodbyes separately before we head out on our heroes journey. Gonna edit the first post with a link too in a sec.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Thought I'd join the fun and do a siblings list for y'all.

• Cheerful Sam- Caelee's little BIG brother. She thinks his magic is really interesting, but frowns on his bad habits. She secretly thinks he just does those things for attention. He's intimidating to most, but she'll never hesitate to wrap her arms around him, feel his scales, and give him a big hug.
    • Senna- Caelee's little sister. She encourages her studies and love of reading, but they rarely read together. Caelee is always under a tree and never in the library. She likes to tease her sister about her studious nature, but feels strong urges to protect Senna, as though that were her responsibility.
    • Melian- Caelee's older sister, and the one she feels the strongest kinship with due to their elven blood. She enjoys flaunting elven tradition in front of her sister, but also listens to her tell stories from elven books. They share a passion for magic, but go about it in very different ways.
    • Vyvian- Caelee loves to bicker and fight with her older sister, and often instigates the shorter half-elf. She feels a distinct rivalry with Vyvian, in archery, in sneaking around the Keep, and in mischief. Deep down she admires her sister's skills and feels envy of her age and experience.
    • Aintas- Caelee looks up to her older brother a great deal. They always enjoy good walks and talks in the meager natural setting the keep provides, and she always shows the skills she learns from books to him excitedly. She went through a period where she had a bit of a crush on him, but has come to realize she was misplacing those feelings on a brother. He is the one she goes to for protection and a feeling of safety, and loves his hugs.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-03-29 at 11:07 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Rolling for my (1d4)[1] books from my backstory. As I understand it, you can take books with you from Candlekeep as long as you have copied them from the original and they are not from a forbidden part?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cigaw View Post
    I love both ideas!

Here's my 2cp and I'm absolutely willing to change things up if it doesn't make sense or in the likely event that someone has better ideas!

[LIST][*]Caelyn: Melian developed feelings of kinship to the other full-blooded elf. While Melian is proud of her own magical skills, she's both jealous and proud of Caelyn's affinity to Nature; something an Eladrin should feel as well. Melian absolutely refuses to call her by the humanized name Caelee.
    I love the idea of Melian refusing to call her Caelee. I think it makes a lot of sense for the characters, and I'm going to enjoy roleplaying their different perspectives on being Elves.
    The Bear is Back.

29. - Top - End - #29

Dang Ramsus, that's some nice post formatting. I'm gonna steal it!

I like Spore's idea of an RP breakfast. Maybe an impromptu picnic near the gate since half the people are there? Hopefully Vyv brought a pie to share.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Hahaha, that's exactly what I thought when I first stole it.

I'm fine with a communal breakfast. Even though Vyvian *Just* ate. She can probably eat more if we need that for a scene. Because... teenagers.

And she did just steal some stuff from merchants, food could certainly have been part of that.

Edit: Though it kinda sounds like that might be happening while Vyvian is out and about. So don't mind me if that winds up meaning you guys eat without her.
    Guess it depends on how long people feel their stuff took to do before getting to their breakfast.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-03-29 at 01:17 PM.