New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved Monster Classes- Still Alive, and taking requests!

Since githyanki are a warrior race, wouldn't armor proficiency make sense? also it seems to go against the standard spell-like ability formula for them to gain plane shift at an even numbered level.

Personally, I'd give the githyanki fighter proficiencies and good fort, and give the githzerai more psionics to make them more balanced. But those are just my thoughts.

balance wise I think they look okay, but I'm no expert.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

Phoelarch:
    I like what you did with the SLAs, though it really should just be one specific HD specified per SLA- it sortof looks like you're losing the old ones to gain the new ones.
    Now, I still don't like the rebirth mechanic, so how about this: when dying, the Phoelarch gets to choose what he'll be reborn as. Maybe even let 'em transform once when the ability is gained, if he so chooses. I know it doesn't fit the fluff, but it's for playability's sake.
    Fiery wings: Hmmm... kindof just a fly spell with a (pretty lame) added bonus. Makes a great monk/swordsage, though. Also, by 26 charisma it'd be better to just make a regular unarmed strike than use the wings spell- it really should stack with heat. Does making an unarmed strike with them count as unarmed? As in, provokes AoO? State what kind of action it is to activate them- swift would not be out of line.

I will admit that I am reluctant to change the Blessing ability. I agree that it isn't very flashy but I think it's still rather effective. And combined with the Blazing transformation it is still a suitable capstone. If you don't mind too much I'd like to keep it as is, though if you insist then I will change it in anyway you suggest.

Actually, I just had a thought. What if you could grant the benefit to one person more than once, letting the feather bonuses stack with themselves. Meaning that you can give one ally a bonus equal to your HD or spread the number out among allies in anyway you like. However the phoelarch may only receive one bonus from any individual allies victory regardless of how many charms that ally has; meaning only bonuses from different sources stack. This would mean that it would be more beneficial the phoelarch to spread the feathers out so that it increases his chance of gaining bonuses in return. How does that sound?
    Actually, I do sortof mind. Not that it's bad, per se, nor broken, and it could certainly be posted as is... but I hate it. If I played the class, I wouldn't take the 7th level. Granted, it's powerful, but it feels wrong in so many ways.
    First of all, the feathers seem as cheap as peanuts. Might be fighting with a certain NPC soon? Here, have a feather! It becomes a lot to keep track of for a relatively small bonus. And on top of that, there's keeping track of the defeating enemies, how much longer the Phoelarch has the bonus, who has the feather... it's just really not something I like. Big and simple is much better than small and overwrought.
    One feather makes it special. And because it's only one feather, you can give it some really cool stuff- instantly confirming critical hits? Yeah, that works. Maybe it can cast from the Phoelarch's SLAs! Then something about how if the Phoelarch fights with whoever has the feather, he gets a similar bonus... It has a lot of potential, and I'd hate to see that reduced to just some small, flat, headache-inducing passive bonus.... but, I also recognize that it's you class, and as there's nothing exactly inherently wrong with it, I'm not going to just say "NO!".

Githyanki:
    Should definitely get all simple & martial weapons and light armor proficiency. Wouldn't be out of line to give more skill points, and maybe an intelligence bonus+basing the PLAs off intelligence- the Githyanki are crafty bastards.
    Also, does nobody read the PLA rules? All PLAs are automatically augmented with PP equal to the creature's HD-the power's cost. Don't make things more complicated than it has to be.
    Typos: there's a "center" on the table, and you said "Extreplanar". It's extraplanar.
    You need to make a greater difference between the two classes. Also, githzerai need a reason to have a wisdom bonus.
    A way to do this might be to give the githyanki the good BAB, and good proficiencies, but 4+int mod skill points and only one good save, while the githzerai get 3/4 BAB and just simple weapons, no armor or shields, but all good saves (like a monk!) and 6+int mod skills/level. Just to start.

Shaedling:
    Doesn't need such high stat mods. I'd advise you move the sleep ability to 1st level. Shouldn't get such great weapon proficiencies: are most shaedlings trained warriors? Nope. At least, I assume so. And it wouldn't be out of line to give it a bonus to jump checks or something, just until it gains its wings.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-10-23 at 02:47 PM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ettin in the Playground

Anaxim link change Gorgon.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ettin in the Playground

Black Dragon:
    Ooookay, let's see here.
    First of all, you need to proofread... everything. A lot is worded clumsily, from breath weapon to home conversion. Check out other dragons to get the wording.
    Remove tiny tiny effects. Home conversion's 1d4 nonlethal damage is too small to keep track of all the time, really.
    Why didn't you make the changes I suggested on Grim Withering?
    Acidic Nightmare: 2d6/2HD=1d6/1 HD. I'd make it... 1d8/2 HD.
    I don't like "affecting ethereal creatures". It's not a force effect.
    Acid Rain: Maybe give similar damage to Acidic Nightmare? 4d6/6 HD is just weird.
    The Acid Shall Not Be Refused... eh. I don't like it. And by RAW, it just makes everything near the dragon immune to acid, even his own... what I'd do is remove the Kaiser ability (but maybe not the name, because it's cool) and make this one the capstone, but just that his acid pierces immunity/resistances.
    Other than that, it's okay.

Dream Larva:
    Y'know what my biggest 'pet peeve' is? When people specify as to just what sort of damage increasing sizes increases the natural weapons to. I hate that. There is a system: it increases by one step. If you don't like that, make a separate ability that increases the damage otherwise. And especially when you're going fro 1d6 to 2d8 (an average of 3.5 to an average of 9 per attack), growing in size just gives tooooo much benefit for one level.
    Also, don't just say "It increases the damage to 2d8! Period!" I happen to like the improved natural attack feat.
    Probably doesn't need 6+int skill points/level. Just sayin'.
    The Bad Dream line... eh. First of all, it really should be a gaze effect. If a creature can't see the dream larva, it isn't affected, right? Also, best to make it all the same ability: for darkest fears, "creatures who would normally be shaken by Bad Dream are frightened instead." Nice and simple. That's really all you need to say.
    Blade of Awakening: increase by one step! Increase by one step! There is a method to increasing natural attack damage, and it shall be followed!

Anaxim: If we're going to be doing abominations, I'd like to follow the same pattern as devils & such. Check out the dream larva for abomination traits.
    Then, check out the iron golem & force golem for construct traits.
    I STILL don't know what these "armor enhancement" spells are, and they certainly aren't OGL.
    Can the two 'bolter guns' be used in conjunction with the other natural attacks? And, actually, why bother? You already have the electricity thing for ranged. And then flight. And then sonic blast. Speaking of sonic blast, it's a bit powerful- I'd cut it to 1d6/2 HD, tops. Sonic is powerful.
    Check out the Dream Larva for my thoughts on weapons of mass destruction.
    I don't like undivine spark- specifically, declaring it a 20 after the roll is made.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

5. - Top - End - #665
    Barbarian in the Playground

Shaedling:
    Doesn't need such high stat mods. I'd advise you move the sleep ability to 1st level. Shouldn't get such great weapon proficiencies: are most shaedlings trained warriors? Nope. At least, I assume so
    well the shaedling have to pillage/kill/steal so there kinda like bandits. These creature are the equivalent(for feys) of drow for the elfs. So should they have maybe one or two weapon profiencentys?
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-10-23 at 03:41 PM.
    awesome avatar made by Trazoi
    Totem Cleric:A divine fighter that uses a totem which empowers him.

I will not have as much acces to a computer so I will not post as much.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Anaxim: If we're going to be doing abominations, I'd like to follow the same pattern as devils & such. Check out the dream larva for abomination traits.
    It... Does not work that way in this case. The dream larva and the anaxim are both abominations, yes, as are the Atropal, Xixecal, Phaeton and Phane I am working on. But the Anaxim (and the atropal) have a vast difference from the others. They are constructs (and undead) so several of the abomination traits are, by default, superfluous. I will take Magic's work into consideration for the outsider-type abominations, but it does not truly work for this one and the upcoming atropal.

I could change blindsight, perhaps, but I am unwilling to buff it to match the Dream Larva's, which reaches a ludicrous 200 feet radius. 400 feet Telepathy does not strike me well either on grounds of something you know, something called Mindsight.

Also, on risk of sounding cocky, my Anaxim is a vastly older creation, so if anything, Magicyop is the one who should be looking into it for conformity to standard.

Then, check out the iron golem & force golem for construct traits.
    The construct traits I took from the srd are the same ones you have on the iron golem (minus the fact that you removed Low Light Vision and the golem-specific fire healing), I don't know why it was mentioned.

I STILL don't know what these "armor enhancement" spells are, and they certainly aren't OGL.
    They are from Eberron Campaign Setting, alongside the Weapon Enhancement line. Artificer Infusions. I will make a sidebar for those who lack that book (anyone? I doubt, but I disgress). They are really simple spells... Infusions.

Can the two 'bolter guns' be used in conjunction with the other natural attacks? And, actually, why bother? You already have the electricity thing for ranged.
    Bolter guns are standard weapons and incur on attacks of opportunity when used in melee. So... Possible, but not advised.

The bolter gun also has a better range than Electrical Discharge (120 range increment against 60 flat range). And it scales better. The entire physical arsenal of the anaxim scales better than the magical/supernatural, not in small part due to Greater Magic Weapon and the weapon enhancement line. Plus feats. And complementary magic gear, and strength score.

And then flight.
    I was actually going to nerf that. Forgot it entirely on my last pass.

And then sonic blast. Speaking of sonic blast, it's a bit powerful- I'd cut it to 1d6/2 HD, tops. Sonic is powerful.
    It has a 5 round "cooldown", so it is not really that strong, dpr (damage per round) wise. Not a breath weapon so no metabreath/breath channeling or other feat shenanigans either. I believe it is fine as is.

Check out the Dream Larva for my thoughts on weapons of mass destruction.
    The anaxim does not get any size increases before far deep into epic levels. Weapons of Mass Destruction and Instruments of Deicide serve to bring its natural weapons up to par with those of the base anaxim.

I don't like undivine spark- specifically, declaring it a 20 after the roll is made.
    It is a +19 bonus at most. And it is spelled out that it isn't a natural 20. My worry, frankly, is that it could be an underwhelming capstone. Relatively few daily uses too.

I also planned to give this and Undivine Will to all of the abominations.
    Last edited by Draken; 2010-10-23 at 04:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

7. - Top - End - #667
    Orc in the Playground

Phoelarch:
    I like what you did with the SLAs, though it really should just be one specific HD specified per SLA- it sortof looks like you're losing the old ones to gain the new ones.

Now, I still don't like the rebirth mechanic, so how about this: when dying, the Phoelarch gets to choose what he'll be reborn as. Maybe even let 'em transform once when the ability is gained, if he so chooses. I know it doesn't fit the fluff, but it's for playability's sake.

Fiery wings: Hmmm... kindof just a fly spell with a (pretty lame) added bonus. Makes a great monk/swordsage, though. Also, by 26 charisma it'd be better to just make a regular unarmed strike than use the wings spell- it really should stack with heat. Does making an unarmed strike with them count as unarmed? As in, provokes AoO? State what kind of action it is to activate them- swift would not be out of line.

Actually, I do sortof mind. Not that it's bad, per se, nor broken, and it could certainly be posted as is... but I hate it. If I played the class, I wouldn't take the 7th level. Granted, it's powerful, but it feels wrong in so many ways.
    First of all, the feathers seem as cheap as peanuts. Might be fighting with a certain NPC soon? Here, have a feather! It becomes a lot to keep track of for a relatively small bonus. And on top of that, there's keeping track of the defeating enemies, how much longer the Phoelarch has the bonus, who has the feather... it's just really not something I like. Big and simple is much better than small and overwrought.
    One feather makes it special. And because it's only one feather, you can give it some really cool stuff- instantly confirming critical hits? Yeah, that works. Maybe it can cast from the Phoelarch's SLAs! Then something about how if the Phoelarch fights with whoever has the feather, he gets a similar bonus... It has a lot of potential, and I'd hate to see that reduced to just some small, flat, headache-inducing passive bonus.... but, I also recognize that it's you class, and as there's nothing exactly inherently wrong with it, I'm not going to just say "NO!".
    • Cleared up that bit about the SLA's
    • Fiery Wings now stacks with heat property. Activates as a swift action and specifies that it is a typical unarmed unarmed strike (meaning AoO's)
    • Rise from the Ashes now lets the phoelarch choose what form it is reborn into.
    • Okay, how about the phoelarch can hand out a number of feathers () i'd like it to be more than one because the other memebrs of the party would get jealous. The feathers give the person Fire resistance equal to the phoelarchs HD, slowfall 3/day, and the luck bonuses. In addition , the phoelarch can always know the location of the feather and the person who holds it?

I don't know, that seems like a lot. What do you think?
    Last edited by AustontheGreat1; 2010-10-23 at 08:23 PM.

8. - Top - End - #668

Dream Larva:
    Y'know what my biggest 'pet peeve' is? When people specify as to just what sort of damage increasing sizes increases the natural weapons to. I hate that. There is a system: it increases by one step. If you don't like that, make a separate ability that increases the damage otherwise. And especially when you're going fro 1d6 to 2d8 (an average of 3.5 to an average of 9 per attack), growing in size just gives tooooo much benefit for one level.
    Also, don't just say "It increases the damage to 2d8! Period!" I happen to like the improved natural attack feat.
    Ah, I see. Sorry about that. Changed to make it simply increase by one step.

Probably doesn't need 6+int skill points/level. Just sayin'.
    You're right, that is a little bit on the high side, since it isn't really a skill oriented class. Changed it to 4+int.
    The Bad Dream line... eh. First of all, it really should be a gaze effect. If a creature can't see the dream larva, it isn't affected, right? Also, best to make it all the same ability: for darkest fears, "creatures who would normally be shaken by Bad Dream are frightened instead." Nice and simple. That's really all you need to say.
    Oh! Got it. That's much easier. Changed, and also made it a gaze attack.
    Blade of Awakening: increase by one step! Increase by one step! There is a method to increasing natural attack damage, and it shall be followed!
    See above, done.

I have no quarrel with any of your critiques, thank you for taking the time to critique. Hope the Larva looks better now.

Oh, and I'd like to call dibs on the Saint template as my next monster, once the Larva is finished... it's only a two level template, so should be much better, much easier to write and to critique. You were very right about the Dream Larva being a bad first class to undertake. But nonetheless, I'm fairly happy with how it looks at this point in its development.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-10-23 at 09:01 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

Many thanks to Qwernt for my amazing mind flayer avatar!

9. - Top - End - #669

The Bleakborn
    Libris Mortis, Page 86

Spoiler
    Show
    HD:d12
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Bleakborn Body, Icy Touch, Fire Lover, +1 str
    2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Turn Resistance, Heat Siphon, +1 dex
    3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Heat-Draining Aura, Brittle Strike, +1 str
    4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Greater Icy Touch, Ice Ward
    5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Ice slick +1 str
    6th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Create Spawn, Greater Heat-Draining Aura, +1 dex
    7th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Undying Chill, Frost Nova, Greater Brittle Strike, +1 str
    [/table]
    Skills: 2+ int mod. A Bleakborn has no class skills.

Proficiencies: A bleak born is proficient with simple weapons and its own slam attacks

Features:

Bleakborn Body: A Bleakborn loses all other racial modifiers and gains the following undead traits

Spoiler
    Show
    * No Constitution score.
    * Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    * Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    * Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
    * Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
    * Heals naturaly.
    * Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
    * Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
    * Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
    * Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.

* Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

A Bleakborn also gains a slam attack dealing 1d6 points damage(plus the bleakborn's strength modifier) and a natural armor bonus equal to its strength modifier. It has a land speed of 30ft. A bleakborn can speak common, plus any bonus languages gained from high intellegence.

Icy Touch: The Bleakborn drains the heat from anything it touches, dealing 1d6 points of cold damage on a successful natural attack. When the bleakborn reaches 4HD and every 3HD thereafter, the cold damage dealt increases by 1d6. A bleakborn can also use its icy touch as a melee touch attack, dealing only its icy touch damage without any modifications. A bleakborn who choses to make a full attack with a melee touch can make as many attacks per round as it has slam attacks(ussually two).

Fire Lover: A Bleakborn feeds of heat, healing when exposed to fire. For every 3 point of fire damage an attack would normally deal, the Bleakborn is instead healed 1 point of damage, gaining any excess as temporary hit points. The Bleakborn loses these temporary hit points after one hour, and cannot gain more temporary hitpoints than its HD x 5. If the Bleakborn touches a nonmagical fire source, the fire will be extinguished after the damage is calculated.

Turn Resistance: A second level Bleakborn counts as having one extra hit dice for purposes of turning and rebuking. For every three hit dice a Bleakborn gains beyond two its turn resistance increases by one HD.

Heat Siphon: A Bleakborn of second level or higher also refines its heat draining abilities, drawing sustenance from the body heat of its enemies. For every 3 points of cold damage dealt by a Bleakborn, the Bleakborn is healed 1 hit point. Any excess healing is handled the same way as with their fire lover ability. This ability applies to any cold damage done, with the exception of the bleakborn's heat draining aura

Heat Draining Aura: At third level, a Bleakborn begins to draw heat from the air around them. This ability has a radius of up to 10ft per HD, though the bleakborn can choose to limit the range. Any living creature within range takes cold damage equal to the bleakborn's HD each round they remain in the area. This damage is not subject to the bleakborn's heat siphon ability, but each round a creature of sufficient CR to grant the bleakborn XP is damaged by this ability, the Bleakborn gains fast healing equal to half its HD. The Bleakborn can activate or deactivate this ability as a free action.

Brittle Strike: Three times per day per HD, a third level Bleakborn can cause its icy touch to freeze up a creatures joints. A creature hit immediately takes one point of dexterity damage. The bleakborn choses whether or not to use this ability after finding out if its attack has hit. For every 5HD above 3, The dexterity damage dealt by this ability increases by one.

Greater Icy Touch: A fourth level Bleakborn can channel its Icy touch through a melee weapon.

Ice Ward: A fourth level bleakborn can freeze the moisture in the air into a layer of supernaturally hard ice, gaining damage reduction/- Equal to halftheir HD

Ice Slick: Also at fifth level A Bleakborn can take a standard action to freeze the moisture in the air. Doing so creates a thin layer of ice in the area of their heat draining aura that forces any creature moving across it at more than half their land speed to make a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2HD + charisma modifier) or be unable to move for the round. The bleakborn does not have to make balance checks against its own ice. This ability also freezes any non-magical liquids within the area. The effects of this ability persist for one minute, after which the ice will melt naturally.

Create Spawn: At fifth level, a Bleakborn can revive any creature that dies in its heat draining aura as a zombie, as per the animate dead spell, but requiring no material component. The Bleakborn has a caster level equal to its HD for purposes of how many zombies can be created and controlled.

At 8HD, the bleakborn gains Deadly Chill as a bonus feat, allowing any undead it creates to deal 1d6 points of cold damage with their melee attacks

Greater Heat Draining Aura: A sixth level Bleakborn is able to chose one creature per 2HD to be excluded from the effects of their heat draining aura. In addition, the damage it deals is doubled.

Undying Chill: If a seventh level bleakborn is reduced to 0 hit points or lower, they can make a will save with a DC equal to the damage dealt. If the saving throw is successful, the Bleakborn's heat draining aura will remain active, even though the bleakborn is destroyed. If the fast healing the aura grants heals the bleakborn back into positive hit points, it can act imediately, no worse the wear from its temporary de-animation.

Frost Nova: Once per day per 4HD, a seventh level bleakborn can push its heat draining abilities to the limit as a full round action. Any creature within a range equal to half the bleakborn's current heat draining aura takes 1d6 cold damage per HD of the bleakborn, with a fortitude save(DC10+1/2HD+charisma modifier) for half. The bleakborn's heat siphon applies to this damage, and any creature within the area takes dexterity damage as if hit by a brittle strike. After using this ability, the bleakborn must wait 3d4 rounds before using it again, during which its heat draining aura ceases to function. The bleakborn can choose to exclude certain creatures, as with its Heat Draining Aura.

Greater Brittle Strike: A seventh level Bleakborn can use its Brittle Strike at will.

comments/changelog
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Kept everything the original bleakborn had and added a few new effects to increase its versatility. The ice slick ability gives some battlefeild control while greater icy touch makes weapon use a more viable option. The bleakborn's ability to recover no matter how much damage it takes had to be nerfed slightly. Requiring a saving throw means that it can be permanently taken out of action by a large amount of damage, or by someone killing it over and over until it stops getting up.

Changes
    24/10/2010: Added the ability to turn off the heat draining aura, and allowed any humanoid killed within its heat draining aura to be reanimated.

25/10/2010: added some scaling for turn resistance, greater icy grasp and the DC for ice slick, removed the saving throw for heat draining aura

26/10/2010: changed heat draining aura to a flat damage, increased scaling of greater icy touch, changed greater heat draining aura from increased damage to the ability to exclude allies from the effect

30/10/2010: Changed Icy touch to scale every 3HD, changed greater heat draining aura to deal double damage.

9/11/2010: Added Brittle strike, Ice ward, and Frost nova. Heat siphon is no longer exclusive to Bleakborn abilities.

16/11/2010: Changed brittle strike and frost nova's side effect to dexterity damage, changed frost nova uses per day from 1/day/6HD to 1/day/4HD with a cooldown time between uses

21/11/2010: Made Icy touch able to be used as a touch attack, changed the range of frost nova to half the range of heat draining aura

24/11/2010: Made Ice slick able to freeze water, Added deathly chill as a bonus feat at 8HD

6/2/2011: removed the damage increase for greater heat draining aura, changed frost nova from uses per day to 3d4 round cooldown. changed ice ward to DR 1/2HD/-, Made brittle strike damage increase once every 5HD. Changed ice slick to a reflex save or be imobilzed

7/2/2011: Added Greater Brittle strike, moved Create Spawn to sixth level
    Last edited by Crafty Cultist; 2011-02-06 at 12:06 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

10. - Top - End - #670

Spoiler
    Show
    A Bleakborn also gains a slam attack dealing 1d6 points damage(plus the bleakborn's strength modifier) and a natural armor bonus equal to its strength modifier. It has a land speed of 30ft.
    Does it have natural armor?
    Icy Touch: The Bleakborn drains the heat from anything it touches, dealing 1d6 damage on a successful slam attack.
    It should say, instead of having greater,etc, when there is a change to the damage.

Fire lover: A Bleakborn feeds of heat, healing when exposed to fire. For every 3 point of fire damage an attack deals, the Bleakborn is instead healed 1 point of damage, gaining any excess as temporary hit points. The Bleakborn loses these temporary hit points after one hour, and cannot gain more temporary hitpoints than its HD x 5. If the Bleakborn touches a nonmagical fire source, the fire will be extinguished after the damage is calculated.
    This is really abusable, you just light your self on fire and full hp

Heat draining aura: At third level, a Bleakborn begins to draw heat from the air around them. Any living creature within a range of 10ft per HD must make a fortitude save(DC 10 + 1/2 HD + charisma modifier) or take 1d6 points of damage per round they remain in the area. Creatures that leave the area of effect and return must make another saving throw against the effect. Each round a creature is damaged by this ability, the Bleakborn gains fast healing equal to half its HD.
    can he suppres it, what happens with freinds?

Greater icy touch: A forth level Bleakborn deals 2d6 points of cold damage with a successful slam attack. In addition, any metal melee wepon weilded by the bleakborn begins to transfer heat from creatures it strikes, dealing 1d6 points of cold damage per round. The bleakborn's heat siphon ability affects either of these effects.
    Not really sure, maybe you should give it full damage on weapons. ask someone first.
    Create spawn: At fifth level, a bleakborn can revive any creature it kills as a zombie, as per the animate dead spell. The bleakborn must have dealt the killing blow to animate the corpse, and has a caster level equal to its HD for purposes of how many zombies can be created and controlled.
    no killing blow, maybe you could do some other undead,look at death knight for refrence

Greater heat draining aura: A sixth level Bleakborn deals 2d6 points of damage per round with its heat draining aura with a fortitude save(Same DC as before) to half the damage.
    same jugement as before
    Undying chill: If a seventh level bleakborn is reduced to 0 hit points or lower, they can make a will save with a DC equal to the damage dealt. If the saving throw is successful, the Bleakborn's heat draining aura will remain active, draining heat from living creatures to heal itself. If the Bleakborn is healed to positive hit points, it can act normally, being no worse for wear from the experience. If the Bleakborn is cut into six or more peices after its defeat, disintegrated or killed by something other than hit point damage, this ability will not take effect.
    i dont think we count piece and this is not a usefull capstone, something else should go but im not sure what.
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-10-23 at 10:23 PM.
    awesome avatar made by Trazoi
    Totem Cleric:A divine fighter that uses a totem which empowers him.

I will not have as much acces to a computer so I will not post as much.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #671

Chimera

Can I request a monster? Adamantine Dragon (Dragon#321)
    Last edited by Salbazier; 2010-10-23 at 11:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharkash View Post
    Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:
    2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong

12. - Top - End - #672

Quote Originally Posted by monkman View Post
    Does it have natural armor?
    It says in the text you quoted

It should say, instead of having greater,etc, when there is a change to the damage.
    I was advised to display abilities this way in the past. It's easier to read if you can check the abilities by level

This is really abusable, you just light your self on fire and full hp
    If you were set on fire it would count as a non magical fire source and would be extinguished after one round of damage. Would restricting it to magical fire be better?

can he suppres it, what happens with freinds?
    Added the ability to supress the aura

Not really sure, maybe you should give it full damage on weapons. ask someone first.
    Possibly. I'll wait for more input before changing it.

no killing blow, maybe you could do some other undead,look at death knight for refrence
    Changed its animate dead ability to affect any humanoid killed within the range of its aura

i dont think we count piece and this is not a usefull capstone, something else should go but im not sure what.
    Well if anyone has any suggestions let me hear them

Spoiler
    Show

Or something.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Titan in the Playground

Question: Was the Ethergaunt taken off the alphabetical list on purpose?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

14. - Top - End - #674

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Question: Was the Ethergaunt taken off the alphabetical list on purpose?
    Was wondering the same. I wanted to look at it just to see how atrociously unbalanced it was, for fun. Since everyone keeps mentioning how bad it is. Like I said, rubbernecking.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magicyop View Post
    Was wondering the same. I wanted to look at it just to see how atrociously unbalanced it was, for fun. Since everyone keeps mentioning how bad it is. Like I said, rubbernecking.
    It is quite bad. It's still on the list in Oslecamo's two threads so check them (they're linked in the OP of this one).
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

Who cares if it's got full wizard casting and what is essentially a lightsaber? IT DOESN'T HAVE A FAMILIAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'd like to request a progression for this.

18. - Top - End - #678

Daemon

Brass Golem

"I am not perfect, but I have Purpose" - Krogan, Mass Effect 2

Spoiler
    Show

HD: d10
    {table=head]
    Level
    |
    BAB
    |
    Fort
    |
    Ref
    |
    Will
    |Features
    1|+0|+0|+0|+0|Built With Purpose, Solid Brass, +1 Str, +1 Wis
    2|+1|+0|+0|+0|Tracker, Scent, Evolution, Str +1
    3|+2| +1| +1| +1|Toughened Alloys, Resilience, Str +1
    4|+3| +1| +1| +1|Magic Resistance, Str +1
    5|+3| +1| +1| +1|Growth, Hunter’s Weapon, Str +1,
    6|+4| +2| +2| +2|Maze, Str +1, +1 Wis
    7|+5| +2| +2| +2|Goring Charge, Improved Evolution, Str +1
    8|+6/+1| +2| +2| +2|Play Theseus, Sheer Force, Str +1
    9|+6/+1| +3| +3| +3|Re-forged Purpose, Str +1
    10|+7/+2| +3| +3| +3|Labyrinthine Home, Str +1
    [/table]

Skills: 2+ Int modifier, Survival (Wis)

Proficiencies: Its own natural weapons, simple and martial weapons.

1st Level:

Built With Purpose: All Brass Golems are built with a purpose. You have managed to shake off yours, but you are still very single-minded. Choose a single skill. You gain a +1 to all checks with this skill, but a -2 to one other skill.

The Brass Golem loses all racial modifiers and receives the Construct type (which grants darkvision 60'), medium size, 30 ft. land speed, and a natural head-butt attack dealing 1d8+1.5x strength modifier damage.
    In addition, the Brass Golem takes +50% damage from electricity damage.

The Brass Golem has all the characteristics of the construct type (which have been changed from the normal construct type, so it is highly advisable the below is read):
    Spoiler
    Show

• No Constitution score.
    • Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    • Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    • Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
    • Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, ability damage, fatigue or exhaustion, or energy drain.
    • Cannot heal damage on its own, although it can be healed. Magical fire damage heals the Brass golem 1 point of health per 3 damage it would normally do. An Brass golem is otherwise immune to fire.
    • Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
    • Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
    • Never being alive to begin with, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected. It can only be revived by a wish, limited wish, miracle, or by reconstructing the Brass Golem's body (requiring 1,000 pounds of brass- or the golem's previous body-, 2,500 gp worth of rare substances, and a DC 16 weapon-smithing or armour-smithing check) and then a reincarnate spell, which will always put the golem's soul into the new effigy.
    • Constructs do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

Lastly, the Brass Golem gains natural armour bonus equal to his strength modifier. This natural armour bonus increases by 1 when the golem's size increases.
    The Golem also gains +1 HP per HD. This bonus increases to +2 at 10 HD, +3 at 15 HD and+4 at 20 HD. The hp increases are retroactive.

Solid Brass: The Golem’s solid metal body helps to protect it, providing an armour bonus equal to 2 + 1/3 HD. This armour may be enchanted, but more armour may not be worn over the top.

Ability Score Increases: The Brass Golem gets a +1 bonus to its Wisdom score at 1st and 6th levels (+2 overall) to represent its artificial animal cunning.
    It also gains a +1 bonus to Strength at every level after 1st (total +9).

2nd Level:

Tracker: The Brass Golem gains Track as a bonus feat. In addition, it gains a bonus to Survival checks to track enemies equal to ½ its HD.

Scent: The Brass Golem gains the Scent ability, allowing it to track enemies by smell and detect the presence of creatures within 30ft. (need to link to SRD).

Evolution: The Golem’s time among mortals and thinking for itself has allowed it to develop its own unique abilities. Choose a special ability from the list below:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aluminium Alloy: Your armour bonus from Solid Brass is increased to +1/2 HD.
    Preservative Layer: Choose an energy type. You gain energy resistance equal to half your HD against that energy type. If electricity is chosen, you instead no longer take +50% damage from it. This ability may be taken multiple times for different energy types.
    Misleading: Gain Hypnotic Pattern as an SLA 1/HD. Gain Bluff as a class skill and a bonus to Bluff checks equal to 1/2 HD.

3rd Level:

Toughened Alloys: The Brass Golem gains DR/Adamantium equal to half its HD.

Resilience: The Golem gains a bonus to its saves equal to its Wisdom modifier.

4th Level:

Magic Resistance: The Golem gains SR 11+HD

5th Level:

Growth: The Golem grows to Large size, as does its head-butt attack.

Hunter’s Weapon (Su): The Golem can form a weapon of its choice that it is capable of wielding from its body as a full-round action. This weapon may be enchanted, and doing so costs the same amount as enchanting a normal weapon. Should this weapon ever be lost (but not broken or disjoined), then after 24 hours its essence melts back into the flow of magic to rejoin its Golem creator and is available to be formed again.

6th level:

Maze: The Golem gains the ability to cast Maze as a SLA once/5 HD. Unlike normal Maze, this SLA allows a Will save (DC = 10+1/2HD+Wis modifier) The Golem cannot currently enter the maze to track its target, but will be able to at 8th level.

7th level:

Goring Charge:
    The Golem charges its target, lowering its horns to deliver a devastating blow. To use this, make a charge and attack with your head-butt attack. This head-butt deals damage as though it were one size larger (normally 3d6), in addition to the standard benefits of a charge and using the head-butt.

Improved Evolution: You continue to develop your abilities. Choose one of the following special abilities, or two evolution abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Destructive Build: Add 0.5x your strength modifier to damage will all melee weapons and composite bows.
    Molten Core: Your body is powered from inside by a core of molten metal. Increase your speed by 10ft. In addition, deal 1d6 extra fire damage with your head-butt and Hunter’s Weapon.
    Perfect Edge: Increase the critical multiplier of your head-butt and Hunter’s Weapon by one (so x3 becomes x4). Your head-butt attack now scores a critical on a roll of a 19-20. This stacks with Keen and Improved Critical.

8th Level:

Play Theseus (Su): The Golem can now travel between its maze and its current location as a move action a number of times equal to half its HD. This allows it to hunt any prey sent to its lair. It gains an insight bonus to Survival checks made to track opponents in its lair equal to its HD.

Sheer Force: The Brass Golem is a terrifying beast, capable of simply powering through its opponents by force of weight. Its head-butt and Hunter’s Weapon count as its alignment and Adamantium for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. A True Neutral player may choose an alignment to have his attacks count as, and other neutral golems may choose one alignment instead of neutral to apply.

9th Level:

Re-forged Purpose: The Golem begins to recover some of the magic that first gave it purpose to live, and to focus this against its chosen enemies.
    This ability grants two benefits. First, choose a creature type from the list below. The Golem gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.
    At 12 HD, this bonus improves by +2, and the Golem can pick another type. Both bonuses increase by +2 at 15HD.

Creature Types (these include all subtypes):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aberration
    Animal
    Construct
    Dragon
    Elemental
    Fey
    Giant
    Humanoid
    Magical Beast
    Monstrous Humanoid
    Ooze
    Outsider
    Undead
    Plant
    Vermin

10th Level:

Labyrinthine Home: The Golem may Plane Shift into its labyrinth, bring a number of medium-sized creatures (each size increase doubles the number of creatures a character counts as), with each use of its Play Theseus ability. It may also now bring objects (including food, furniture etc.) with it to decorate its labyrinth and make it more homely. The Maze is now a permanent extra-dimensional space, rather than a conjuration, much like the space inside a Rope Trick. There are no negative effects for bring other extra-dimensional spaces inside the Maze.
    In addition, the Golem’s Maze now no longer allows a Will save.

Changelog:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fixed table, gave a bonus to Bluff with Misleading, allowed more flexibility with Improved Evolution, changed Perfect Edge so criticals hits harder but can't be abused to happen every round. Left Reforged Purpose (see comments).

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The tricky bit with this one was Maze. It's its signature ability, but it's also a very powerful spell. Maybe there should also be a duration reduction in addition to allowing a save? Like 2 rounds/HD or something?
    Reforged Purpose is intentionally more general than Favoured Enemy, partly because you don't get as many and partly because Favoured Enemy is often cited as being too specific to be useful.

^Out of Date. Will delete at Gorgondantess' discretion.
    Last edited by Cogidubnus; 2010-10-31 at 03:33 AM.
    Homebrew: Ghost Rider, a 3.5e Base Class inspired by Marvel's Comics.

So guys, the new Iron Man trailer, huh?

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    Who cares if it's got full wizard casting and what is essentially a lightsaber? IT DOESN'T HAVE A FAMILIAR!
    ((We all know that their lack of Familiar is a crippling weakness, play along with the joke ))

20. - Top - End - #680

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post
    The Bleakborn

Spoiler
    Show
    HD:d12
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Frozen body, Icy touch, Fire lover, +1 str
    2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |+2 Turn resistance, Heat siphon, +1 dex
    3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Heat-draining aura, +1 str
    4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Greater icy touch
    5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Create spawn, Ice slick +1 str
    6th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Greater heat-draining aura, +1 dex
    7th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Undying chill, +1 str
    [/table]
    Skills: 2+ int mod. A Bleakborn has no class skills.

Proficiencies: A bleak born is proficient with simple wepons and its own slam attacks

Features:

Frozen body: A Bleakborn loses all other racial modifiers and gains the following undead traits

Spoiler
    Show
    * No Constitution score.
    * Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    * Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    * Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
    * Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
    * Heals naturaly.
    * Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
    * Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
    * Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
    * Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.

* Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

A Bleakborn also gains a slam attack dealing 1d6 points damage(plus the bleakborn's strength modifier) and a natural armor bonus equal to its strength modifier. It has a land speed of 30ft.

Icy Touch: The Bleakborn drains the heat from anything it touches, dealing 1d6 damage on a successful slam attack.

Fire lover: A Bleakborn feeds of heat, healing when exposed to fire. For every 3 point of fire damage an attack deals, the Bleakborn is instead healed 1 point of damage, gaining any excess as temporary hit points. The Bleakborn loses these temporary hit points after one hour, and cannot gain more temporary hitpoints than its HD x 5. If the Bleakborn touches a nonmagical fire source, the fire will be extinguished after the damage is calculated.

Turn resistance: A second level Bleakborn conuts as having two extra HD for the purposes of turning or rebuking.

Heat Siphon: A Bleakborn of second level or higher also refines its heat draining abilities, drawing sustenance from the body heat of its enemies. For every 3 points of cold damage dealt by a Bleakborn's icy touch, the Bleakborn is healed 1 hit point. Any excess healing is handled the same way as with their fire lover ability.

Heat draining aura: At third level, a Bleakborn begins to draw heat from the air around them. Any living creature within a range of 10ft per HD must make a fortitude save(DC 10 + 1/2 HD + charisma modifier) or take 1d6 points of damage per round they remain in the area. Creatures that leave the area of effect and return must make another saving throw against the effect. Each round a creature is damaged by this ability, the Bleakborn gains fast healing equal to half its HD. The Bleakborn can activate or deactivate this ability as a free action.

Greater icy touch: A forth level Bleakborn deals 2d6 points of cold damage with a successful slam attack. In addition, any metal melee wepon weilded by the bleakborn begins to transfer heat from creatures it strikes, dealing 1d6 points of cold damage per round. The bleakborn's heat siphon ability affects either of these effects.

Create spawn: At fifth level, a bleakborn can revive any creature it kills as a zombie, as per the animate dead spell. The creature must have died within the Bleakborn's heat draining aura, and the Bleakborn has a caster level equal to its HD for purposes of how many zombies can be created and controlled.

Ice slick: Also at fifth level A Bleakborn can take a standard action to freeze the moisture in the air. Doing so creates a thin layer of ice in the area of their heat draining aura that forces any creature moving across it to make a DC 15 balance check or fall prone. The bleakborn does not have to make balance checks against its own ice.

Greater heat draining aura: A sixth level Bleakborn deals 2d6 points of damage per round with its heat draining aura with a fortitude save(Same DC as before) to half the damage.

Undying chill: If a seventh level bleakborn is reduced to 0 hit points or lower, they can make a will save with a DC equal to the damage dealt. If the saving throw is successful, the Bleakborn's heat draining aura will remain active, draining heat from living creatures to heal itself. If the Bleakborn is healed to positive hit points, it can act normally, being no worse for wear from the experience. If the Bleakborn is cut into six or more peices after its defeat, disintegrated or killed by something other than hit point damage, this ability will not take effect.

comments/changelog
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Kept everything the original bleakborn had and added a few new effects to increase its versatility. The ice slick ability gives some battlefeild control while greater icy touch makes weapon use a more viable option. The bleakborn's ability to recover no matter how much damage it takes had to be nerfed slightly. Requiring a saving throw means that it can be permanently taken out of action by a large amount of damage, or by someone killing it over and over until it stops getting up.

Changes
    24/10/2010: Added the ability to turn off the heat draining aura, and allowed any humanoid killed within its heat draining aura to be reanimated
    I'm noticing several references (e.g. Icy Touch, Heat Draining Aura) where you mention "damage". Should this be cold damage?
    Homebrew: Ghost Rider, a 3.5e Base Class inspired by Marvel's Comics.

So guys, the new Iron Man trailer, huh?

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #681

Quote Originally Posted by Cogidubnus View Post
    I'm noticing several references (e.g. Icy Touch, Heat Draining Aura) where you mention "damage". Should this be cold damage?
    Yes it should. fixed now.

Spoiler
    Show

Or something.

22. - Top - End - #682

Quote Originally Posted by Rumel View Post
    Natural Warrior
    What book is this from?
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

23. - Top - End - #683
    Orc in the Playground

What book is this from?
    It's like a PrC

24. - Top - End - #684

It's like a PrC
    No, I mean which WotC book did this monster appear in before your conversion to a monster class?
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

25. - Top - End - #685
    Orc in the Playground

No, I mean which WotC book did this monster appear in before your conversion to a monster class?
    It's not a monster... It's just a prestiege class I made.

26. - Top - End - #686

It's not a monster... It's just a prestiege class I made.
    This entire project is for monster classes, I think... Maybe if it isn't a monster, it belongs somewhere else, like in its own thread.

That's just my thought, I'm not sure what the actual rules are regarding this, Gorgon will have to say.

Also you probably shouldn't have posted it in the old version of this thread, that's thread necromancy and pointless since you posted it here.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-10-24 at 05:26 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

27. - Top - End - #687
    Orc in the Playground

This entire project is for monster classes, I think... Maybe if it isn't a monster, it belongs somewhere else, like in its own thread.

That's just my thought, I'm not sure what the actual rules are regarding this, Gorgon will have to say.

Also you probably shouldn't have posted it in the old version of this thread, that's thread necromancy and pointless since you posted it here.
    What about Creature of Legend? It isn't a real monster. Also, who cares if I accidentally post in the old thread? Is it a big deal?

28. - Top - End - #688
    Firbolg in the Playground

What about Creature of Legend? It isn't a real monster.
    It is an actual WoTC template, you know. Check the MMII.

29. - Top - End - #689

What about Creature of Legend? It isn't a real monster. Also, who cares if I accidentally post in the old thread? Is it a big deal?
    1) Creature of Legend is definitely a real monster from MMII
    2) Yes, it usually is, if you read the forum rules sometime, posting in old threads is against them.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-10-24 at 05:32 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

30. - Top - End - #690
    Orc in the Playground

Ok... I'll make my own thread. Sorry, I didn't realize Creature of legend was a real monster.