New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/E6] Rizban's E6 Compendium

That's a pretty powerful archetype you've got there, D-naras. Ending people's turns as a Lesser Power is nice, but the Bodyguard is a pretty abusable one, despite being the solitary Medium Power. In 3.5, you get a proper humanoid companion at 6th level. Any party with a Troubadour Courtier is going to be a good deal more powerful than one without.

That being said, I love this archetype. It's pretty much been the one I've been waiting for, and with a little tweaking it will probably be my favourite. You might want to change the wording on Sacrosanct to once per encounter, add a version of the Bodyguard power to Greater Power to replace Master of the Courts, and add two different Medium Powers. These are just suggestions, feel free to ignore me.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Rizban, trying to make a spellblade beastmster reveals that none of the spells I given to the spell blade in the first level slot are detrimental and touch. As in, the only spells he could channel into smacking people using the green mage list would be good for his target.

In fact, he only has one between all of level 0 and 1, that is "Flare."

He should have at least one first level spell debuff that he could use!

3. - Top - End - #333
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    That's a pretty powerful archetype you've got there, D-naras. Ending people's turns as a Lesser Power is nice, but the Bodyguard is a pretty abusable one, despite being the solitary Medium Power. In 3.5, you get a proper humanoid companion at 6th level. Any party with a Troubadour Courtier is going to be a good deal more powerful than one without.

That being said, I love this archetype. It's pretty much been the one I've been waiting for, and with a little tweaking it will probably be my favourite. You might want to change the wording on Sacrosanct to once per encounter, add a version of the Bodyguard power to Greater Power to replace Master of the Courts, and add two different Medium Powers. These are just suggestions, feel free to ignore me.
    Thanks for the input! Glad you liked it
    Combatwise, i think the courtier is not as strong as a beastmaster, whose riding dog will have 6d8+12 hit points, 17 strength and dexterity, 20 AC unarmored, scent, and the ability to communicate with his master at will at 6th level. Not to mention the second animal companion .
    The Courtier will definitely need playtesting. Sancrosant, while powerful, can only be used once per opponent and only if the opponent attacks the courtier in melee, so its totally left up to the DM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darklink_shadow View Post
    Rizban, trying to make a spellblade beastmster reveals that none of the spells I given to the spell blade in the first level slot are detrimental and touch. As in, the only spells he could channel into smacking people using the green mage list would be good for his target.

In fact, he only has one between all of level 0 and 1, that is "Flare."

He should have at least one first level spell debuff that he could use!
    That is one of the downsides of Green Mage/Beastmaster. You can still conduct your blast even if you can't conduct spells.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Bah, fine. If that is your choice.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

D-naras - interesting archetype. I like it overall. I would maybe not give a bonus to diplomacy checks, as that overlaps with the troubadour's beguiling influence. Maybe make it fast diplomacy instead? Rizban has tried to avoid giving away too many class abilities as part of archetypes, though his feedback would be good before making a change here. The bodyguard need some clarification, I think, especially if you have more powerful races (which are often dealt with by using reduced point buys in E6). Taking 10 on diplomacy doesn't have to overlap with the expert's ability to take ten, since they pick a set of skills for that.

Rizban
    - Regarding perfect strike and unerring strike; first, the requirement for perfect strike to have character level 3 when the prerequisite feat already requires level 3 seems redundant (pedantic point).

More importantly, I think perfect strike should have its cost mitigated relative to unerring strike. With unerring strike, you can see what your first roll is, then decide. Perfect risks wasting FP. Unerring requires a swift, but I don't think that balances the cost. For the same two points that duelist, for example, spends of perfect strike, he could instead just make an extra attack (at -2) using rhythm (other archetypes don't get this ability and haste stacking are caveats here). Anyway, short version: I would like to see perfect strike only cost 1 FP (though that seems cheap) or have some other benefit to make it worth using instead of unerring strike. Maybe have it reduce or re-rolls miss chance similar to blindfight?

Back to pedantry, in the gladiator's ability list, fancy footwork should be above unorthodox maneuvers since it is granted first.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Re-worked the Cad to be a bit cleaner.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Just a problem i spotted, beastmaster and trapsmith can both be selected by magic classes which get spells from there archtype and while beastmaster has a note that says it gets greenmage spells, trapsmith does not have something similar so a magic class trapsmith has no spells at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Burnheart, thanks to you, everyday reality is just a little less desirable. Until this happens, I am just this much more insane.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

I'm fully aware of the trapsmith's issue. There is also no list of tactical traps or rules for how to use them. I actually have both lists essentially finished as of last Thursday, but I haven't had time to look over them again before posting them. I'll try to get them up today.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-20 at 02:18 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Changelog
    • General: Added Equipment section!

• Archeype: Red Mage – Slight wording update
    • Archeype: Trapsmith
      • Tactical Traps ability updated
      • Tactical Traps list added!
      • Spell list added!
      • Typos corrected.
      • Acrobat capstone edited
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Not to take away from planswalker, but I started up my own play test as well. This one will go a slightly different direction to try out other aspects of the system and will not have the same class/archetype combos as accepted characters.

Recruitment thread
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-20 at 10:07 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, does that mean you know who got into planeswalker's game? Awww... Spellblade/Beast Master isn't there.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

No, I dont, not yet. I posted the list of all sheets posted when he did his review and said he was closing interest. If you get into his game, I'll change the barred combinations from mine to reflect that.

Please direct all further inquiry about the play tests to their appropriate threads, thank you.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-20 at 10:19 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Not to take away from planswalker, but I started up my own play test as well. This one will go a slightly different direction to try out other aspects of the system and will not have the same class/archetype combos as accepted characters.

Recruitment thread
    ... take away?

What craziness is that? More like add to, since this gives ME a chance to submit a character!

Quote Originally Posted by darklink_shadow View Post
    Wait, does that mean you know who got into planeswalker's game? Awww... Spellblade/Beast Master isn't there.
    I'd have been really impressed if he did, since *I* don't know yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Changelog
    • General: Added Equipment section!

• Archeype: Red Mage – Slight wording update
    • Archeype: Trapsmith
      • Tactical Traps ability updated
      • Tactical Traps list added!
      • Spell list added!
      • Typos corrected.
      • Acrobat capstone edited
    Nice. I like the way you implemented those tactical traps. It's not quite how I would have done it, but I really like it. I'm still trying to talk my group into using this system.
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

If a bugbear sets off a trapsmith's trap, and then later gets hit very hard in the head by a hammer, can the trapsmith go and collect his trap for the components? Salvage the remains and use them to build more traps? Or does he spend 5g per attack?

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

What does getting hit in the head by a hammer have to do with anything?

No, once used, the components are consumed. As written though, a Trapsmith can use Disable Device on any trap, including his own, to disassemble it and collect components.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Not even caltrops? He can't recover them?

I know he can disable device, but can he disable device on traps that have gone off for parts?

Also the hammer kills the bugbear, to get him out of the way for the dwarf trap smith to get his traps back. Duh...
    Last edited by darklink_shadow; 2013-05-20 at 11:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

If a tactical trap has been activated, it can not be salvaged for components. It is a makeshift trap that functions as intended but breaks after the first use.

Yes, it effectively costs 5gp per trap, though he can salvage any traps the party encounters when he disables them to get free components.

Edit: Also already included in the trapsmith entry, if he sets a tactical trap, and the trap is not triggered, he may disable it later to recover the components.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-20 at 11:50 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

(Wombat's Review of)Skillful Classes(Part 2.B)

The Expert
    Knacks

General Knacks
    Spoiler
    Show

General Knacks may be selected by any Expert, regardless of specialization.
    I approve of a list of things anyone can take. Even if it is smaller than the rest (and that's fine with me).

[*]Greater Skill Mastery (Ex): Upon selecting this knack, an expert selects two more skills to which his skill mastery ability applies.
    Prerequisites: Skill Mastery
    Special: This knack may be gained multiple times. Each time it is gained, the expert selects another two skills.
    So this can be selected as a 3rd or 4th knack, since an expert gains Skill Mastery at level 5.

[*]Improved Insight: Upon gaining this knack, an expert gains an additional point of Insight.
    Special: This knack may be gained multiple times. Its effects stack.
    A handy knack to have, given the uses that insight provides!

[*]Trapfinding: The expert gains trapfinding. See the Trapsmith lesser archetype power.
    So this knack grants you the ability of a the Trapsmith archetype? Interesting. I wonder if more knacks in the three other categories will have this sort of thing...Guess we'll find out!

Craftsman Knacks
    Spoiler
    Show

[*]Efficient Construction (Ex): When selecting this knack, the craftsman selects one specific Craft skill. When making masterwork items using the selected skill, the material cost to create them is reduced by 25%.
    Prerequisite: 4 ranks in the selected Craft skill.
    Special: This knack may be gained multiple times. It's effects do not stack. Each time it is gained, it applies to a different Craft skill.
    I honestly am a big fan of crafting, especially since I see it as an excellent thing that is mostly ignored in the game. I commend you for having these knacks to help revive this skill!

[*]Imbued Creation (Su): Despite not being able to cast spells, a craftsman learns to create magic items. This follows all the normal rules for crafting magic items, including needing the appropriate item creation feats, with the following exception. A craftsman need not provide the prerequisite spells for a magic item; instead, he makes a Use Magic Device check (DC 20 + caster level) to emulate each spell normally required to craft the item. He may attempt to emulate each spell only once per day and must succeed on emulating every spell necessary to craft the item before it can be completed. If the item would normally be completed before he has succeeded on every check, the item remains unfinished until he can succeed, and he must spend a full day crafting in order to make the attempt.
    Prerequisite: Craft (any) 6 ranks, Spellcraft 6 ranks, Use Magic Device 6 ranks
    Special: For the purpose of crafting magic items and gaining item creation feats, a craftsman with this knack is treated as having a caster level equal to his class level minus 1.
    This is quite interesting...I find it very strange that a non-caster could even emulate a spell to create a magical item. Then again, if you have magic a bit different in this system, I suppose it might not be as irregular.

[*]Quality Workmanship (Ex): With this knack, a craftsman is able to create items of superior quality. When gaining this knack, the craftsman must select a specific Craft skill. Mastwork items crafted with the selected skill grant twice the normal masterwork bonus; i.e. weapons have a +2 on attack rolls, tools grant a +4 bonus, and the armor check penalty of armor is reduced by 2.
    Prerequisite: 6 ranks in the selected Craft skill.
    Special: This knack may be gained multiple times. It's effects do not stack. Each time it is gained, it applies to a different Craft skill.
    I like this a lot. What happens if the craft check fails? Does it ruin the masterwork or does it stay masterwork?

[*]Rapid Construction: When selecting this knack, the craftsman selects one specific Craft skill. When making items using the selected skill, the progress made on completing the item is measured in gold pieces instead of silver pieces. If crafting by the day instead of by the week, the progress is measured in silver pieces instead of copper pieces.
    Prerequisite: 4 ranks in the selected Craft skill.
    I'm not sure if this is me not fully knowing something about craft, but this business of measuring in gold instead of silver pieces has confused me. If so, could you quote it here instead of linking it, as I am not able to open off site links on this computer. I just need some clarification on this...

[*]Reagent Mastery (Ex): After gaining this knack, a craftsman is treated as though he were a spellcaster for the purposes of crafting items using Craft (Alchemy)
    Prerequisite: Craft (Alchemy) 1 rank
    So a crafter can make potions by using this knack, similar to the knack for creating magical items?

[*]Renowned Craftsman (Ex): When using a Craft skill to earn a living, a craftsman gains his full skill check in gold pieces instead of half as normal for a week of work.
    Special: This knack may be gained twice. The second time it is gained, the craftsman instead gains twice his skill check in gold pieces for a week of work.
    So a knack to better advance your income. Nice!

[*]Skilled Crafting (Ex): When making a Craft check using a Craft skill in which he has no ranks, a craftsman may treat the skill as though it had ranks equal to half the number of skill ranks of his highest Craft skill rounded down. For example, a craftsman with 8 ranks in Craft (leatherworking) and 0 ranks in Craft (basketweaving) could make a Craft (basketweaving) check as though he had 4 ranks in it. Ability modifiers and other bonuses are applied as normal.
    This is a handy knack to have! I like that this is echoed in the other two categories as well. I like all of these Craftsmen Knacks. I hope the Rapid Construction one lessens the amount of time it takes to craft something.

Professional Knacks
    Spoiler
    Show

[*]Apprentice: Upon gaining this knack, a professional gains a skilled assistant in his work. The professional gains a cohort as though he had the Leadership feat, but he does not gain any followers. His leadership score is calculated using the number of ranks in his highest Profession skill rather than his character level. As normal, the cohort must be two or more levels lower than the professional.
    Prerequisite: Profession (any) 6 ranks
    So the apprentice assists in the professional's work alone, and in no other manner? Does he aid the Expert in checks? Give bonuses? Or allow double the work because two people are now doing it?

[*]Fast Talk (Ex): A professional knows how to sell, bargain, and convince people something is worth more or less than it is. With this knack, a professional adds half his class level, rounded down, on any Bluff, Diplomacy, or Gather Information check related to goods, services, or trade in some way.
    Good in writing "more or less". I like this.

[*]Journeyman (Ex): A number of times per day equal to the professional's Intelligence modifier, the professional's apprentice may make a Profession check using the professional's skill modifier instead of his own.
    Prerequisite: Profession (any) 8 ranks, Apprentice knack.
    Ah, so the Apprentice is just the start to a knack tree in this aspect.

[*]Savvy Trader: A professional has learned how to buy at the best prices, allowing him locate a particular item he wishes to buy at a discount. When gaining this knack, he must select a specific Profession skill. Once per week, a professional can make a Profession check to locate a particular item he wishes to buy. The item must be in some way related to the selected skill. If his skill check beats the DC set by the DM, he is able to purchase the item at a 25% discount.
    The DC is 15 + the items rarity modifier: +0 for common items, +2 for uncommon items, +5 for rare items, or +10 for extremely rare items. Illegal items add another +5 to the DC. The item a professional tries to buy may not always be available, even if he beats the DC, especially if the item is rare or illegal.
    Prerequisite: 6 ranks in the selected Profession skill.
    Interesting. Can this stack with the "fast talk" knack?

[*]Trade Pidgin (Ex): Learning a smattering of words and phrases from many different languages, a professional can learn to communicate with almost anyone. He is treated as constantly being under the effect of a tongues spell.
    Prerequisite: Fast Talk knack
    Oh, this is pretty interesting...I like this. It's a shame we don't see more things like this. No idea what...but yeah.

A lot of these knacks seem to be something that would also make sense for the craftsman to have, such as an apprentice. I know you're trying to make each its own, but it just seemed a little odd to have it here and not there to me. Could someone have Profession: Craftsman?

Sage Knacks
    Spoiler
    Show

[*]Greater Insight (Ex): Through extensive study, sages tend to gather deeper insight than most. Upon gaining this knack, a sage gains a number of points of Insight equal to 2 + number of times he has taken the Improved Insight knack.
    Prerequisite: Improved Insight knack
    A nice stack with it's prereq, I could see certain experts becoming insight focused. A nice thing to focus on.

[*]Know Weakness (Ex): If a sage correctly identifies a creature with a Knowledge check, he can use this knack to identify that creature's vulnerabilities. When using Insight Points against that creature, any variable bonuses are increased by +2.
    Prerequisite: Knowledge (arcana, dungeoneering, local, nature, religion, or the planes) 5 ranks.
    Special: A sage must have at least 5 ranks in the related Knowledge skill to use this knack with that skill; however, taking this knack once allows it to apply to all Knowledge skills in which the sage has at least 5 ranks.
    So, say I had knowledge: nature, I'd know about animal vulnerabilities. But if I'd also had say, 5 ranks in planes or religion also, I'd know about creatures specific to those knowledges too.

[*]Lore (Ex): With this knack, a sage may make a special lore check with a bonus equal to his sage level + his Intelligence modifier to see whether he knows some relevant information about local notable people, legendary items, or noteworthy places. A successful lore check will not reveal the powers of a magic item but may give a hint as to its general function. A sage may not take 10 or take 20 on this check; this sort of knowledge is essentially random.{table=head]DC|Type of Knowledge
    10|Common, known by at least a substantial minority of the local population.
    20|Uncommon but available, known by only a few people legends.
    25|Obscure, known by few, hard to come by.
    30|Extremely obscure, known by very few, possibly forgotten by most who once knew it, possibly known only by those who don’t understand the significance of the knowledge.[/table]
    Special: If the sage has a least 5 ranks in a Knowledge skill, he gains a +2 bonus to lore checks related to that skill.
    Bolded area: Do you mean Sage level or Expert level? Otherwise this is an excellent knack!

[*]Magic Aptitude (Sp): Many sage's studies delve deep into mystical lore. A sage with this knack has learned some minor magical skills. He learns a number of cantrips from any spell list equal to his Intelligence modifier and may cast them a total number of times per day equal to 4 + his Intelligence modifier; however, casting a cantrip requires spending a point of Insight. These cantrips do not suffer from an arcane failure chance.
    Prerequisite: Knowledge (arcana or religion) 6 ranks
    Interesting. Connecting Cantrips to Insight is an cool way of doing it, especially if you're taking the added insight knacks.

[*]Master Linguist (Ex): Having learned a great number of languages during his studies, a sage can communicate with almost anyone. He is treated as constantly being under the effect of a tongues spell. In addition, he gains a bonus on all Decipher Script checks equal to his class level.
    Prerequisite: Must know at least 4 languages
    Alright. Different prereqs, same knack. Works for me!

tl:dr - Overall, I like these, especially the Sage knacks. Nice work.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

from the SRD:
    Spoiler
    Show
    To determine how much time and money it takes to make an item, follow these steps.

Find the item’s price. Put the price in silver pieces (1 gp = 10 sp).
    Find the DC from the table below.
    Pay one-third of the item’s price for the cost of raw materials.
    Make an appropriate Craft check representing one week’s work. If the check succeeds, multiply your check result by the DC. If the result × the DC equals the price of the item in sp, then you have completed the item. (If the result × the DC equals double or triple the price of the item in silver pieces, then you’ve completed the task in one-half or one-third of the time. Other multiples of the DC reduce the time in the same manner.) If the result × the DC doesn’t equal the price, then it represents the progress you’ve made this week. Record the result and make a new Craft check for the next week. Each week, you make more progress until your total reaches the price of the item in silver pieces.

So Rapid Construction makes crafting MUCH faster.

I believe Quality Workmanship applies when making a new item, so there is no separate skill check to get the bonus increase, just the usual rules for crafting a MW item.

Reagent Mastery is so you can make alchemical items (acid flask, alchemist's fire, etc). Normally you have to be a caster. This is separate from enchanting items.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-21 at 11:05 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    from the SRD:
    Spoiler
    Show
    To determine how much time and money it takes to make an item, follow these steps.

Find the item’s price. Put the price in silver pieces (1 gp = 10 sp).
    Find the DC from the table below.
    Pay one-third of the item’s price for the cost of raw materials.
    Make an appropriate Craft check representing one week’s work. If the check succeeds, multiply your check result by the DC. If the result × the DC equals the price of the item in sp, then you have completed the item. (If the result × the DC equals double or triple the price of the item in silver pieces, then you’ve completed the task in one-half or one-third of the time. Other multiples of the DC reduce the time in the same manner.) If the result × the DC doesn’t equal the price, then it represents the progress you’ve made this week. Record the result and make a new Craft check for the next week. Each week, you make more progress until your total reaches the price of the item in silver pieces.

So Rapid Construction makes crafting MUCH faster.

I believe Quality Workmanship applies when making a new item, so there is no separate skill check to get the bonus increase, just the usual rules for crafting a MW item.

Reagent Mastery is so you can make alchemical items (acid flask, alchemist's fire, etc). Normally you have to be a caster. This is separate from enchanting items.
    @ - Ah! Someone else reads my stuff.

@ - Ah, that quoted SRD makes a bunch more sense...I wish it were much more simplified, but alas. That makes things heck of a lot faster indeed.

@ - I know enchanting and making potions are two seperate things. I was referencing the fact that it was a similarity in the fact that both knacks allowed you to do magical things despite not being magical. However, I appreciate the clarification.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

I'm only going to respond to the comments that I feel need response rather than to everything as I usually do. I've got kind of limited time this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Traspfinding
    So this knack grants you the ability of a the Trapsmith archetype? Interesting. I wonder if more knacks in the three other categories will have this sort of thing...Guess we'll find out!
    That is correct, though that is the only aspect of that archetype granted by this knack. I wanted there to be more than one option for dealing with being the party trap finder, though the trapsmith archetype is still the more potent option by far.

Efficient Construction
    I honestly am a big fan of crafting, especially since I see it as an excellent thing that is mostly ignored in the game. I commend you for having these knacks to help revive this skill!
    Do note that this only applies to masterwork items. I did not intend for that to extend to providing cheaper magic items, though I also chose not to explicitly forbid it, leaving that particular interpretation up to each individual DM. I feel that the rule as written is explicit enough that the actual rule and intent of the rule match and can be determined without explicitly trying to lock out other interpretations that could be appropriate to other games.

Imbued Creation
    This is quite interesting...I find it very strange that a non-caster could even emulate a spell to create a magical item. Then again, if you have magic a bit different in this system, I suppose it might not be as irregular.
    I didn't want the class focused on crafting to not be able to craft things that other classes can. That just seemed stupid from a design point.
    That said, I justify it to myself as him learning which materials are innately magical and how to incorporate them into items in patterns of power that emulate the way spells are used to create magic items. The UMD check is him trying to "create the arcane matrix" as opposed to him casting a spell.

Quality Workmanship
    I like this a lot. What happens if the craft check fails? Does it ruin the masterwork or does it stay masterwork?
    I realized prior to your review how much this knack needs to be edited to make it more clear. For now, let's just ignore it...

Reagent Mastery
    So a crafter can make potions by using this knack, similar to the knack for creating magical items?
    No, he can make things like acid vials, alchemist's fire, and tanglefoot bags. These items don't require spells to craft but still require you to be a spellcaster to craft them. One of the stupidest rules in 3.5. Two different knacks for two different applications of the Craft skill.

Apprentice
    So the apprentice assists in the professional's work alone, and in no other manner? Does he aid the Expert in checks? Give bonuses? Or allow double the work because two people are now doing it?
    It's a cohort as per the Leadership feat. Whatever specifics are left up to the DM, though this knack (and Journeyman) assumes that the cohort is also an Expert (Professional).

Savvy Trader
    Interesting. Can this stack with the "fast talk" knack?
    That's entirely up to the DM. Fast Talk explicitly only grants a bonus on certain skill checks while this ability explicitly grants a discount on purchasing an item. Though it is implied that Fast Talk can be used to haggle prices, it is entirely up to the DM as to whether or not the skill check results can affect prices. In my games, I allow haggling and thus would allow them to potentially stack on a good roll.

A lot of these knacks seem to be something that would also make sense for the craftsman to have, such as an apprentice. I know you're trying to make each its own, but it just seemed a little odd to have it here and not there to me. Could someone have Profession: Craftsman?
    Well, Craft and Profession are very similar skills. Even the PHB makes not of that and dedicates several sentences to explaining why they aren't. In short, Craft makes something while Profession trades something.
    There are definitely knacks on each list that could benefit the other, but they are on separate lists not only to allow a flavor difference but because having both could be potentially overly powerful.
    That said, I believe I would enjoy a game where one player was a Professional,the other was a Craftsman, and the two work together to build a business selling fine goods.

I don't think "Profession (craftsman)" is one of the available options, and I'd be hesitant to allow it in my games. If I did allow it though, there's nothing in my rules or in the d20 rules that would allow Profession to function as Craft or select knacks not on your list.

Know Weakness
    So, say I had knowledge: nature, I'd know about animal vulnerabilities. But if I'd also had say, 5 ranks in planes or religion also, I'd know about creatures specific to those knowledges too.
    It explicitly applies to any Knowledge skill you can use to identify a creature in which have at least 5 ranks. Your interpretation is correct. You only have to select this knack once to gain its full benefits, assuming you spend the requisite skill points in the appropriate skill.

Lore
    Bolded area: Do you mean Sage level or Expert level? Otherwise this is an excellent knack!
    They're one and the same. In all the knack lists, I drop the word "Expert" in preference for either "Craftsman," "Professional," or "Sage" to more clearly indicate that the options are available only to those specialization. I'll change this ability to "class level" for reasons of clarity though.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-21 at 02:23 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

24. - Top - End - #354
    Halfling in the Playground

Wow, looks like a lot has been added. I'll have to spend some time reading through all the new goodies. I apologize if I disappeared mid discussion with anyone. Between overtime at work and a family emergency, I just didn't have the time to keep up with this project. I just wanted to commend everyone on their dedication, as well as thank Rizban and others who responded to any ideas I had. Wish that I could have contributed more. I'll probably just lurk for awhile, at least until I familiarize myself with all the new material. Best of luck to everyone, and hat's off to you.
    One edition to find them all, and in the basement bind them.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

There's still plenty of material left to write, including two more whole projects after this one! So, don't get discouraged. There's still lots that you can do to contribute, and I'm very grateful for all the help you've provided so far.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #356
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

For the acrobat, might I suggest an AC progression of 1/2/2/3/3/4? Its not a big thing, but I think it flows better on the table. No big thing either way.

Also, hows about some kind of acrobatic charge style ability? This class seems like mobility is a major focus, so it could be a good addition.

For the expert, how will +2 masterwork items stack/be effected by with enhancement bonuses?

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wayfare View Post
    For the acrobat, might I suggest an AC progression of 1/2/2/3/3/4? Its not a big thing, but I think it flows better on the table. No big thing either way.

Also, hows about some kind of acrobatic charge style ability? This class seems like mobility is a major focus, so it could be a good addition.

For the expert, how will +2 masterwork items stack/be effected by with enhancement bonuses?
    It may be prettier on the table, but I think what exists will work better for balance vs the other classes.

You mean 90 degree turn on a charge? It already has that, gained at 1st level.

They never stack. If the enhancement bonus is higher, then use that. Otherwise, use the masterwork bonus.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

28. - Top - End - #358

Beholder

It may be prettier on the table, but I think what exists will work better for balance vs the other classes.

You mean 90 degree turn on a charge? It already has that, gained at 1st level.

They never stack. If the enhancement bonus is higher, then use that. Otherwise, use the masterwork bonus.
    I was thinking of a really acrobatic charge -- like just flat-out being able to make any kind of turn. Also, maybe something to avoid difficult terrain -- or would you consider that built in to the leaping abilities?

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Any turns is a bit stronger than I'd like.

The Skirmisher archetype's greater power has the terrain benefit you mentioned already.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-21 at 11:16 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #360

Any turns is a bit stronger than I'd like.

The Skirmisher archetype's greater power has the terrain benefit you mentioned already.
    Try the Swashbuckler style of acrobatic charge from complete warrior.

Also, i'm working on a Specialist Mage archtype. Not sure if anyone else has made anything like that. Should have it up later today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    A guy going by a forum moniker starting with "Darth" asks what amounts to...

"Perhaps you feel you're being treated unfairly?