New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: I need Fae, fey or fay, however you choose to spell it!

Main difference is that the Barghest is from the north of England [further north than me] and hunts through valleys, while the Yeth is from the south and is part of the Wild Hunt, thus hunting through forests and plains.

I've already MVed the Hound of the Wild Hunt so I guess i could just transform that into a D&D monster.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

The Black Dog:

There are many legends that are basically similar, concerning black dogs of Ill-omen. Thus far, I have had the time to create the Yeth hounds, those of the Wild hunt that chase across the land and snap at the heels of lone travellers at the behest of the old gods on the hunt.

I shall endevour to get a version of the Barguest/Barghest done as soon as I can. Part of the delay is that I'm designing the things in one system and then porting them over, which means that several of the rather simple abilities have to be redone in more complex ways to make then fit with the D&D core rules.

Hounds of the Wild Hunt:
    Throughout the old world, the black dog is one of those creatures that has become tied to the supernatural. Unlike the cat, which is an inherited mysticism, the tales of the black dog is an old one rooted in the north, possibly because, as scavengers, great wild dogs would be drawn to conflict and the scent of blood.

In the autumn times, the old gods such as Odin and even Toutatis are known to ride out upon great mythical steeds, led by packs of great dogs as they chased across the countryside, hunting the most worthy game. As men began to overtake the dangers of the wilderness in wilful harm, they became the new prey of choice as they were the most dangerous things around, though quick to flight when alone; just the way the old lords like it.

The Hounds of the Hunt can be found roaming the dark isles [as the Fae have taken to calling the British Isles] during peacetime as a beast known variously as a Cú Sith/Cú Sidhe [Cooshee] in Scotland and Ireland, where they carry off wives and daughters as tribute to their masters; Cŵn Annwn in Wales, where they carry the dead and excellent to their final rest; and Tchico in Jersey, where the presence of one or more of these beasts heralds the beginning of a storm, and perhaps the Wild Hunt.

In appearance, Hounds of the Hunt are just that, massive hounds that are black in colour, though individuals carry variant markings; one of the most famous has white patches on her underbelly and a particular interest in carrying off infants murdered before their time. The fate of souls taken by the hounds is still unknown.

The D&D Version
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hound of the Hunt [Cu Sidhe]
    Huge Magical Beast (Fae)
    HD: 16d10 + 160 (248)
    Speed: 100 ft. (20 squares); Fly 50ft (Perfect)
    Init: +1
    AC: 30; touch 9; flat-footed 29
    (+1 Dex, +5 Natural armour [Spell], +16 Natural, -2 Size)
    BAB: +16; Grp: +34
    Attack: +25 Bite (3d6+15 [Crit 18/x2])
    Space: 15 ft.; Reach: 10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Bay, Ghost Touch Fangs, Powerful Charge +3d6, Skirmish +2d6, Snatch, Trip
    Special Qualities: Dissolve, DR 16/Cold Iron, Low Light Visions, Regeneration 10 [Fire, Good or Evil], Scent, Spell-like Abilities, SR 26, Tweening
    Saves: Fort +20 Ref +11 Will +8
    Abilities: Str 30, Dex 12, Con 30, Int 6, Wis 16, Cha 4
    Skills: Survival +22 [+26 when Tracking]
    Feats: Ability Focus [Bay], Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Powerful Charge [+3d6 damage on the charge]MM3, RunB, Snatch, TrackB, Weapon Focus [Bite].
    Environment: Any Wilderness, usually Forests or Plains in Europe
    Organization: Solitary or Hunt [5-12 + Unique Lords]
    Challenge Rating: 13
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Advancement: 17-24 Huge, 25-40 Gargantuan, 41+ Colossal [Fenris]

How a Hound of the Hunt behaves is its own business. Often, they will be scouting and will return the moment something puts up even a token resistance to draw the rest of the hunt. When operating alone, they choose an objective and strive to achieve it at all costs. This usually means ignoring other combatants beyond avoiding their attacks.

Augmented Critical: Due to the horrible sharpness of teeth intended to rend souls, the teeth of a Hound of the Wild Hunt have a Critical Threat range of 18-20.
    Bay: As a Standard action, a hound may howl and bay in such a manner as to inspire fear in any who can hear it. This travels roughtly 3 miles on clear nights, with cloud cover cutting it to around 1000ft. Those who hear this must make a Will save, DC 17 or be Panicked for 16 rounds. Those who pass this save are Shaken for the duration instead. Anyone who hears this call cannot be affected by its power again for 1 hour, whether they saved successfully or not. The save is Cha based.
    Dissolve: When killed, a Hound of the Wild Hunt breaks up into a heap of leaves, grave dirt and broken arrows,, veiled in mist.
    Ghost Touch Fangs: The teeth of a Hound of the Wild Hunt, being intended to hunt spirits across the heavens and lands, are totally able to deal damage to such creatures, counting as both Magical, Cold Iron and Ghost Touch weapons.
    Regeneration: The Hound of the Hunt takes normal damage only from Fire and Good or Evil weapons and Spells [This latter aspect is a connection to the old gods, demoted to Fae rather than anything to do with alignment.
    Skirmish [Ex]: As the ability of the Scout, Complete Adventurer chapter 2. In summary, the hound adds +2d6 damage to its attacks and +2 to its AC whenever it moves at least 10ft in a round.
    Spell-like Abilities [Sp]: [At Will, CL 16] Air Walk [Fly 50ft as Ground movement],
    Barkskin [Already used, +5 Natural Armour bonus],
    Hold Animal [Will 20 or Animal is Paralysed for 16 rounds],
    Obscuring Mist [20ft spread of Fog around you, those within 5ft have Concealment, those beyond have Total Concealment].
    Trip [Ex]: Whenever it hits with its bite attack, the hound may make an immediate trip attempt, with a modifier of +18, as a free action. If it fails, it has no chance of being tripped in return.
    Tweening: As a Fæ creature, a Hound of the Wild Hunt has the ability to slip through tweens by using a Shift action. While in the Hedge, its movement distances are doubled. It can tween through abstract boundaries, physical boundaries, the space beneath and shadows as it wishes. Creatures in the Hedge can perceive events in the real world as if through thick foliage; Hounds navigate the Hedge primarily by scent.

The MV Version
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hounds of the Wild Hunt:
    The wild hunt is an old legend, something that occurs before thunder storms as the sea mists or the densest fogs rolls through the valleys. A Hound of the Wild Hunt is a beast similar to a wolf that stands almost 12 feet at the shoulder and has a mass comparable to a rhino. Their fur has a bark like texture and turns aside blades and bullets as easily as the others. Their howl is terrifying in an extreme and their slather glows a ghostly green, infecting the fog that forms around them.

Huge Fæ Carnival Beast Animal 16 CR 14
    Init: + , Senses: Listen + 23 , Spot +23, Infravision 120ft, Scent 60ft
    Languages: understands all
    Defence: 28 [-2 Size, -3 Wis, +5 Deflection, +12 Class] Flatfooted: 13 , +2 Passive if moved 10ft+
    Damage Reduction: 16/Natural materials
    HD: 16d8+160+30 Hp: 262, Regeneration 10 [Cold Iron]
    Massive Damage: 30
    Thresholds: Green, [ 131 ] Yellow, [ 65 ] Orange, [ 26 ] Red
    Resist: Size Matters [Con on Will saves]
    Fort: + 23 Reflex: + 9 Will: + 18 Psyche: 27
    Speed: 100ft, 200ft in Hedge
    Space: 15ft Reach: 10ft
    Melee: +21 Bite 3d6+15 [Crit 18/x2], Snatch, Powerful Charge +3d6, Skirmish +2d6, Trip

BAB: + 12
    Grapple: +30
    Special Actions: Skirmish [+2d6 Precision damage if the hound moved more than 10ft in the round],
    Trip [If it strikes a Huge or smaller target that is Flanked or Flatfooted, the target is knocked prone],
    Snatch [Begin Grapple as a Free action if Bite hits. Drop as Free action or Fling 1d6x10ft as Standard action.]
    Abilities: Str: 30/+10 Dex: 12/+1 Con: 30/+10 Int: 6/-2 Wis: 16/+3 Cha: 4/-3
    SQ: Liminal Tweening, Dissolve, Spell-like abiities,

Feats: Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Powerful Charge [+3d6 damage on the charge], Run, Snatch, TrackB, Weapon Focus [Bite].

Skills: Hide +13, Listen +23, Move Silently +13, Spot +23, Survival +19
    Special Abilities:
    Liminal Tweening: As a Fæ creature, a Hound of the Wild Hunt has the ability to slip through tweens by using a Shift action. While in the Hedge, its movement distances are doubled. It can tween through abstract boundaries, physical boundaries, the space beneath and shadows as it wishes. Creatures in the Hedge can perceive events in the real world as if through thick foliage; Hounds navigate the Hedge primarily by scent.
    Spell-like Abilities [Sp]: [Once every 1d4 rounds, CL 16] Widened, Shaped (Sphere) Fear [90ft Cone, Panicked, Will DC 24 = Shaken],
    Barkskin [Already used, +5 Deflection bonus],
    Air Walk [Fly 50ft as Ground movement],
    Obscuring Mist [20ft spread of Fog around you, those within 5ft have Concealment, those beyond have Total Concealment], Hold Animal [Will 20 or Animal is Paralysed for 16 rounds].
    Dissolve: When killed, a Hound of the Wild Hunt breaks up into a heap of leaves, grave dirt and broken arrows,, veiled in mist.

The Yeth Hound:

The Yeth hound is a strange, headless dog of dark colouration and great volume. Its cries are penetrating and keep people awake for miles around when it decides to wander the woods howling. Up close, these howls can numb the mind and loosen the bowels; the beast uses this to good effect as it closes to attack. The creature's mouth is actually its ribs, a great rent opened along its underside that allows it to stab the sharp points together, but being physically weak, the Yeth rarely closes to melee range until its foes are thoroughly divided by fear.
    Folklore indicates that the Yeth is the spirit of an unbaptised child, something that could well be true; without a spiritual anchor, even one as weak as baptism, a new formed soul would be vulnerable to Departed status and thus easily gathered by fæ with such an inclination. It is possible that the Yeth is a creation of the more powerful Barghest.

D&D Version:
    Honestly, identical to below with a -1 on Fort and Ref and a CR of 2ish.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium Fæ Thing 3 CR 4
    Init: + 1 , Senses: Listen + 4 , Spot +4
    Defence: 14 Flatfooted: 10
    Hardness: DR 13/Natural
    HD: 3d6 + 6 + 14 Hp: 34
    Massive Damage: 14
    Thresholds: Green, [ 17 ] Yellow, [ 8 ] Orange, [ 3 ] Red
    Resist:
    Fort: + 3 Reflex: + 1 Will: + 4 Psyche: 19
    Speed: 50ft, Fly 100ft (average) Space: 5ft Reach: 5ft

Melee: +3 Bite (2d6+3)

BAB: + 1 Grapple: +3
    Special Actions: Spell-like: Fear [30ft Cone, Panicked for 3 rounds, Will DC 17 = Shaken 1 round], Terrible Charge [Use Fear as a Swift action during a charge]
    Abilities: Str: 14/+2 Dex: 10/- Con: 14/+2 Int: 16/+3 Wis: 12/+1 Cha: 12/+1
    SQ: Tween

Feats: Ability Focus (Fear), Skill Focus (Intimidate), TrackB

Skills: Hide +3, Intimidate +9, Jump +5, Listen +4, Move Silently +3, Spot +4, Survival +4 [+8 for tracking], Swim +5
    Special Abilities:
    Tween [Ex]: A Yeth Hound is a fæ creature that can tween through Dusk, Dawn and over Physical Boundaries. It tends to move through the Hedge and leap out to attack, then withdraw as soon as possible if its fear effects are resisted.
    Dissolve: When slain, a Yeth hound dissolves into a collection of torn baby clothes and a few animal bones.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Any material presented inside Spoilers listed as "MV Versions", along with all pictures above, are Copyright under the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial License. All other text and game materials are free to use under the terms of the OGL and are designated Open Content.
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:29 PM.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

What i'm looking for are your local legend style fairies. For instance, we have a trio of bridges near me that have [supposedly] trolls living under them and Spring-heeled Jack, a vampire like creature that lived in the alleys of towns in Sussex was supposed to be from near where i used to live.
    If you want LOCAL creatures, the best I've got to offer is the Thunderbird (A giant bird made of clouds and lightning, that lives on the highest mountain peaks). My part of the Pacific Northwest is pretty young and unimaginative, compared to the east coast or any part of the British Isles or Europe. And our local Native American tribes were more into ancient animal spirits than strange creatures. I suppose you could make some version of Raven, or some of the others, but...it's really not the same at all.

You could always do a version of the Wendigo. There are a few different versions around, I think. Wikipedia says that it originated with the Algonquian people. It is a malevolent spirit associated with winter and famine and the like. People can turn into Wendigos if they resort to cannibalism. They may also be able to possess people and drive them to cannibalism.

If you want to go a little farther afield, you could make La Llorona. The version I heard about in rural Costa Rica drowned her children in the nearby river to save herself or because of some tragic misunderstanding (my Spanish isn't all that great). She spends most of her time walking up and down the riverbanks, crying endlessly. There's a regional version pretty much everywhere in Latin America, so I could easily seeing it be it's own type of ghost/spirit. Not sure if it would have any combat abilities, though...maybe fear? confusion? insanity? Hearing it's crying is supposed to be a sign of bad luck or death, so maybe a banshee's wail or similar?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Fae-o-matic. You find the folklore, I make the beasty!

I'm a bit confused why you have Fey as a subtype for the D&D stats because it's only a Type but not a subtype.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Some versions of Big-foot might work, the Yeti in particular. Although the Grassman is a little creepy(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grassman http://www.skepticalviewer.com/2008/...hio-grass-man/) if only becuase its shown up in the middle of populated areas.

The "Skrunt" from Lady In The Water might be a good Unseelie-fey.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadly, there aren't too many folklore creatures in California. However, I did live in rural Japan for a while, which had some interesting folklore. Here's a few from my local area of Tokushima prefecture, far in northern Japan.

Ibantei (Sp?), a Kaijiu.
    Story: According to what I could make out with my poor Japanese, this was a unique kaijiu, aka a "giant monster" like Godzilla. The top sign says something along the lines of "Is this the reason that Mt. Inawashiro erupted in 1782?!"

Apparently this was a horrible, bear-like fire-breathing monster who lived in the nearby volcano - and naturally was the reason that earthquakes occasionally shook the village! The volcano is still active, by the way, something that did not comfort me at all. My friend tried to explain the local kaijiu to me as a "bear-bird", which immediately made me burst out laughing at the thought of a Godzilla-sized owlbear defending the village. The picture is from the Aizu-Wakamatsu Historical Museum.

See what you can do with a D&D 3.5 version, and I promise to throw one into my campaign world. I already have kaiju in it anyhow =P

Tanuki, a shape-shifting raccoon.
    Story: You can see tanuki references all over Japan, these were common trickster fey. They're the patrons of Japanese inns, and love to transform themselves into beautiful women and lead foolish men off the road, and then either get the travelers drunk or play pranks on them. Weirdly enough, they use their magical testicles to transform things. Seeing these poor little stuffed raccoons at the sake factory across from my apartment, however, was something else altogether.

I can't think of its name, but there was another one that lived by the nearby six-colored lakes. It was a ghostly wall that appeared in forests to stop travelers from making it to their destinations.

Also, here's more with cool illustrations: http://pinktentacle.com/2009/10/anat...folk-monsters/

If you like those illustrations, I highly recommend finding a copy of Great Monster (Fey) Wars! (Youkai Daisensou!) It's an awesome kids movie with about a thousand different Japanese folklore creatures making an appearance, sort of like the Neverending Story but with more beer and evil robots.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Fear Darrig:

Quote Originally Posted by answers.com
    Solitary fairy from Hiberno-English oral tradition, known for mischievousness. This short, pugnacious, ugly red-clad figure specializes in practical jokes, some of which can be gruesome. He also has the ability to appear larger than he is and to release mortals trapped in fairyland. In Donegal, where a mortal man was punished with macabre experiences for not producing a succession of stories, the far darrig is tall. In Munster, according to T. Crofton Croker (1832), he is about 2.5 feet tall, wears a sugarloaf cap, a wrinkled face, and has long grey hair.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I'm a bit confused why you have Fey as a subtype for the D&D stats because it's only a Type but not a subtype.

Debby
    You make a good [indirect] point that I haven't posted the subtype writeup. The Fey type from the MM doesn't actually DO anything beyond drive the SLA caster level of combat monsters through the roof; heck, it doesn't actually have any notes beyond "eat and drink and sleep" and the weapon proficiencies.

I've opted for a milder version of the "fairyland" thing and there are several traits that all Fae share so I made a subtype. I'll put it in the first post for reference.

Sydonai: The grass-man, i'll see what i can do on that. Adding it to the list. I might go for something similar to the Dr Who serial Inferno.

Akal Saris: because of my campaign world, unless folks ask nicely for them, I'm not going to be doing Japanese folklore. I'll add your Kaiju to the list, if you don't mind my habit of using Colossal Numeral sizes. I'll include measurements.

Amphetryon: Ok, going on the list. Any idea how you actually pronounce that? He'll probably be integrated into the Shellycoat.
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2010-05-07 at 12:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, Yeth Hound has been added to the previous Black Dog entry.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

My country has patupaiarehe and ponaturi (two pages).

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Draug!

Spoiler
    Show

The painter: Teodor Kittelsen has some awesome paintings!

In the Eyrbyggja Saga a shepherd is assaulted by a blue-black draugr. The shepherd's neck is broken during the ensuing scuffle. The shepherd rises the next night as a draugr.

In more recent folklore, the draug is often identified with the spirits of mariners drowned at sea. In Scandinavian folklore, the creature is said to possess a distinctly human form, with the exception that its head is composed entirely of seaweed. In other tellings, the draug is described as being a headless fisherman, dressed in oilskin, sailing in half a boat. This trait is common in the northernmost part of Norway, where life and culture was based on the fish, more than anywhere else.

A recorded legend from Trøndelag tells how a corpse lying on a beach became the object of a quarrel between the two types of draug. A similar source even tells of a third type, the gleip, known to hitch themselves to sailors walking ashore and making them slip on the wet rocks. Norwegian folklore thus records a number of different draug-types.

I have to admit that this was taken from wikipedia, but it is late in norway right now.
    Last edited by Yuven; 2010-05-09 at 07:13 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, I believe some scholars of folklore have identified Grendel as belonging to the draugr tradition.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

My country has the tokoloshe. Most most famous in popular culture for carrying off people in their sleep unless they place bricks underneath their bed (They supposedly can't reach you if you do this). Looking at what wikipedia says about them, though, they may be undead or constructs. What's really important is they must be of a minute size. Probably diminutive. Otherwise, whatever you think is appropriate.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

something I've wanted to sick on my players for a long time has been the Questing beast. unfortunately for me, he doesn't have stats and I'm lazy. You seem to be the perfect solution!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Barghest:
    The Barghest is by far the most malevolent of the British Black Dogs; as with the others, it is a powerfully built dog with long black fur and a hideous snout. To anything more than casual observation, its body proportions seem off, as if it were tainted ever so slightly with the human form.

A Barghest is a death omen and can serve both as a direct and general "warning" of such, though those it warns of their doom may not have been in any danger prior to its interference. It achieves this effect by cursing those around them to the slings and arrows of misfortune and then leaving them too it unless it grows bored, in which case it weighs in itself. Like many fæ, the Barghest is capable of shapeshifting and various trickery, though thankfully is only capable of laying its deathly curse on others when in its true form, while it has great speed in bat form and it has excellent offensive abilities when in the form of a goblin, groups of whom it is known to rule occasionally.

It has recently come to light that Barghests act in the manner that they do [dooming folk to die before their time] because they actually feed on escaping souls. Those souls consumed by the Barghest are usually released after a long and tortuous passage through its systems but occasionally, a Barghest will take the time to create a Yeth hound, as much out of sadistic amusement as anything else.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Barghest
    Large Magical Beast (Fae, Shapechanger)
    HD 8d10+40 (84 hp)
    Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); Fly 80ft (good) in bat form
    Init: +3
    AC 24; touch 12; flat-footed 21
    (-1 Size, +3 Dex, +12 Natural)
    BAB +8; Grp +18, +14 in Human or Goblin form
    Attack Bite +14 Melee (3d6+6)
    Full-Attack Bite +14 Melee (3d6+6) and +8/+8 Claws (1d8+6)
    Human Form: Club +14/+9 Melee (1d6+6) or Club +11 Ranged (1d6+6, Range 10ft)
    Goblin form: Cold Iron Pike +14/+9 Melee (1d8+9, Crit x3, Brace for Charge) or Cold Iron Pike +11 Ranged (1d8+6, Crit x3, Throw 20ft)
    Space 10ft, 5 ft. in non-wolf form; Reach 5 ft. [10ft if using reach pike]
    Special Attacks Trip [Automatic Trip at +10 on every successful melee bite attack]
    Special Qualities Curse ability, Dissolve, DR 8/Natural, Tweening
    Saves Fort +11 Ref +9 Will +4
    Abilities Str 22, Dex 16, Con 20, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 12
    Skills Hide +10 [+14 Human/Goblin Form, +26 Bat form]
    Feats Ability Focus [Curse], Improved Natural Attack [Bite], Run, Weapon Focus [Bite]
    Environment Hills and Forests
    Organization Solitary or Damnation (1 + 2-7 Yeth Hounds)
    Challenge Rating 6
    Treasure Any cold iron weapons they may have used.
    Alignment Chaotic Evil
    Advancement By class, Favoured Class Ranger
    Special Abilities:
    Devour the Dead [Su]: A Barghest can gain great and terrible nutrition from the souls of the dead. When within reach of a recently dead [within 5 minutes], the Barghest can spend a Swift action to tear open the body and swallow the soul within, though this act provokes attacks of opportunity. When it does so, it gains a Surge [the opposite of Wounds/Negative Levels] for 5 hours, the time it takes to digest the soul. For each Surge it possesses, the Barghest gains a +1 bonus on Attack, Skill and Save rolls and its Defence and also regains 5 hp, gaining any excess as temporary hit points. If Wounded, the Barghest loses these souls before taking true wounds. Devoured souls still go onto their afterlife, admittedly a little worse for wear, unless the Barghest uses them to fuel its Foul Breed power.

Dooming Curse [Su]: The most pronounced ability of the Barghest is to curse others to death by its mere presence. While this ability isn't as passive as originally thought, it certainly has a similar effectiveness. The curse increases the Threat Ranges of all actions made against the victim by +2 and increases the Error Range of everything that the victim does [attacks, saves, skills etc] by 2. Hence, anything that would automatically fail on a 1 fails on a 3 and everything that would normally not auto-fail, fails on a 2 or less. The barghest can activate this in one of two ways; once a target has been successfully cursed, it cannot be so cursed again until the next full moon:
    Cursing Glance: As a Swift action, the Barghest can target one person with his glance. The victim receives a Will save against DC 18 to resist the effect and it sticks for one hour.
    Sight of Damnation: As a Full action, the Barghest can emerge from a hiding place [it does not have to have been entirely undetected prior to this point], which is equivalent to a Shift action and all who can see it within 120ft must make a DC 18 Will save or be afflicted by the curse. Those afflicted by this version of the curse are subject to it for one whole day.

Foul Breed [Su]: To date, nobody has seen a female Barghest; all thus far confronted have been male and the reason behind this is possibly defined by this ability. Once per lunar phase [4 days], a Barghest with at least 3 souls in its gullet can shift back into the Hedge and sacrifice those three souls. 1d4 rounds later, it is able to return to the real world, this time with a Yeth Hound in tow. It is suspected that a female Barghest waits in the Hedge and is able to give birth to these creatures when well fed, but the truth is unknown.

Human Form [Ex]: The Barghest has the power to adopt the form of a dishevelled and weather beaten man as a Move action, though never while observed. It uses this primarily for camouflage purposes, though wandering a battlefield gathering souls unmolested is something of a treat to it. It loses its Dooming Curse and Natural Attacks in human form but gains the Humanoid ability, hence becoming able to use weapons.

Bat Form [Ex]: As a Move action, the Barghest may shift into the form of a bat, a faster, more agile form. When in Bat form, the Barghest has no attacks but gains a fly speed of 80ft and can see via Blindsight to a range of 200ft. The bat is Diminunative in size.

Goblin form [Ex]: The final trick of the Barghest is the ability to adopt the form of a border goblin as a Move action. While in this form, he benefits from his Claws and can use the Goblin ability Cold Iron Draw, below. While in goblin form, the Barghest usually uses a traditional goblin pike:
    Cold Iron Draw [Su]: As a Move action, the Goblin may reach into an adjacent liminal and draw out a weapon or tool of their choice made of Cold Iron. The only limit is that this item must be of a single unbroken piece of iron, so no moving parts or chains. No-one is sure how the goblins are able to do this or why they are able to produce something that verges on the civilised but it makes them no friends amongst the other fæ, many of whom find the material to be toxic.

Tweening [Ex]: In all of its forms, the Barghest is highly capable of tweening, able to use Dusk and Dawn, Physical Boundaries, The Space Beneath and Shadows to enter and leave the Hedge. Given the speed of the beast once it makes it into the Hedge, catching it is unlikely.

Dissolve [Ex]: When slain, a Barghest breaks up into a damage saggy black pelt, six assorted bones and the terrifying howls of uncounted souls. Anyone who has never experienced this before is automatically Panicked for 1d6 rounds.

Notes:
    Goblin Pikes: While it might sound odd, remember that in real terms, "pike" simply means that the weapon is a spear in real terms. Hence, a Border Goblin is usually armed with a conventional Spear, though sometimes they will use a Longspear if it is more advantageous to them.

For most purposes, a Goblin Pike is a Cold Iron Spear, though sometimes they use Cold Iron Shortspears, Cold Iron Longspears or various other things.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Large Fæ Beast 8 CP 10
    Init: + 3 , Senses: Listen + 2 , Spot +2
    Languages: Comprehend all
    Defence: 18 [+2 Wis, +7 Class, -1 Size] Flatfooted: 9 +2 Dodge / Swift action
    Hardness: DR 8/Natural
    HD: 8d10 + 40 + 20 Hp: 104
    Massive Damage: 22
    Thresholds: Green, [ 52 ] Yellow, [ 26 ] Orange, [ 10 ] Red
    Resist: None worth noting.
    Fort: + 9, +14 Massive Reflex: + 3 Will: + 6 Psyche: 21
    Speed: 40ft, Fly 80ft (Good) in Bat form Space: 10ft, 5ft in non-dog form Reach: 10ft

Melee: +13 Bite (2d6+6) and +8/+8 Claws (1d8+6)
    Human Form: +14 Club (1d6+6)
    Goblin form: +14 Cold Iron Pike (1d8+9, Crit x3, Brace for Charge, Throw 15ft)

BAB: + 8 Grapple: +18, +14 in human or goblin form
    Special Actions:
    Extreme Hustle [Take an additional Move action, 1/round - max 3 times per day], Lupine Trip [When a Barghest successfully strikes a flatfooted or flanked foe, it knocks them prone automatically], Change Shape [Human, Bat or Goblin form as a Move action], Shift [Move 10ft, no AoOs, Swift action]
    Abilities: Str: 22/+6 Dex: 6/-2 Con: 16/+3 Int: 6/-2 Wis: 14/+2 Cha: 12/+1
    SQ: Dissole, Manufacture Immunity, Tweening

Feats: Ability Focus (Doom), Dodge, EnduranceB, Extreme Hustle, Mobility, Toughness x 2

Skills: Intimidate +18, Hide +2, Move Silently +6
    Special Abilities:
    Devour the Dead [Su]: A Barghest can gain great and terrible nutrition from the souls of the dead. When within reach of a recently dead [within 5 minutes], the Barghest can spend a Swift action to tear open the body and swallow the soul within, though this act provokes attacks of opportunity. When it does so, it gains a Surge [the opposite of Wounds/Negative Levels] for 5 hours, the time it takes to digest the soul. For each Surge it possesses, the Barghest gains a +1 bonus on Attack, Skill and Save rolls and its Defence and also regains 5 hp, gaining any excess as temporary hit points. If Wounded, the Barghest loses these souls before taking true wounds. Devoured souls still go onto their afterlife, admittedly a little worse for wear, unless the Barghest uses them to fuel its Foul Breed power.

Dooming Curse [Su]: The most pronounced ability of the Barghest is to curse others to death by its mere presence. While this ability isn't as passive as originally thought, it certainly has a similar effectiveness. The curse increases the Threat Ranges of all actions made against the victim by +2 and increases the Error Range of everything that the victim does [attacks, saves, skills etc] by 2. Hence, anything that would automatically fail on a 1 fails on a 3 and everything that would normally not auto-fail, fails on a 2 or less. The barghest can activate this in one of two ways; once a target has been successfully cursed, it cannot be so cursed again until the next full moon:
    Cursing Glance: As a Swift action, the Barghest can target one person with his glance. The victim receives a Will save against DC 18 to resist the effect and it sticks for one hour.
    Sight of Damnation: As a Full action, the Barghest can emerge from a hiding place [it does not have to have been entirely undetected prior to this point], which is equivalent to a Shift action and all who can see it within 120ft must make a DC 18 Will save or be afflicted by the curse. Those afflicted by this version of the curse are subject to it for one whole day.

Foul Breed: To date, nobody has seen a female Barghest; all thus far confronted have been male and the reason behind this is possibly defined by this ability. Once per lunar phase [4 days], a Barghest with at least 3 souls in its gullet can shift back into the Hedge and sacrifice those three souls. 1d4 rounds later, it is able to return to the real world, this time with a Yeth Hound in tow. It is suspected that a female Barghest waits in the Hedge and is able to give birth to these creatures when well fed, but the truth is unknown.

Human Form: The Barghest has the power to adopt the form of a dishevelled and weather beaten man as a Move action, though never while observed. It uses this primarily for camouflage purposes, though wandering a battlefield gathering souls unmolested is something of a treat to it. It loses its Dooming Curse and Natural Attacks in human form but gains the Humanoid ability, hence becoming able to use weapons.

Bat Form: As a Move action, the Barghest may shift into the form of a bat, a faster, more agile form. When in Bat form, the Barghest has no attacks but gains a fly speed of 80ft and can see via Blindsight to a range of 200ft.

Goblin form: The final trick of the Barghest is the ability to adopt the form of a border goblin as a Move action. While in this form, he benefits from his Claws and can use the Goblin ability Cold Iron Draw, below. While in goblin form, the Barghest usually uses a traditional goblin pike:
    Cold Iron Draw [Su]: As a Move action, the Goblin may reach into an adjacent liminal and draw out a weapon or tool of their choice made of Cold Iron. The only limit is that this item must be of a single unbroken piece of iron, so no moving parts or chains. No-one is sure how the goblins are able to do this or why they are able to produce something that verges on the civilised but it makes them no friends amongst the other fæ, many of whom find the material to be toxic.

Tweening: In all of its forms, the Barghest is highly capable of tweening, able to use Dusk and Dawn, Physical Boundaries, The Space Beneath and Shadows to enter and leave the Hedge. Given the speed of the beast once it makes it into the Hedge, catching it is unlikely.

Dissolve: When slain, a Barghest breaks up into a damage saggy black pelt, six assorted bones and the terrifying howls of uncounted souls. Anyone who has never experienced this before is automatically Panicked for 1d6 rounds.

Lore:
    {table]DC|Lore

8|The Barghest is a giant black dog that signifies death

13|They say that all who see the Barghest die within the day...just long enough to tell of it, so they say

18|Barghests are the most malevolent of the Black Dog breeds and can lay a potent curse on you

23|If a Barghest successfully consumes three souls, it may retreat to the Hedge to give birth to a Yeth

28|Barghests are resistant to all manufactured weapons. Because of their Border Goblin aspect, they are highly fearful of true dogs in numbers [total base HD greater than 8] and will flee from them

32|Barghests are vulnerable to symbols of hope and succour and take double damage from a brand hardened in the hearth of a happy home.[/table]

Any material presented inside Spoilers listed as "MV Versions", along with all pictures above, are Copyright under the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial License. All other text and game materials are free to use under the terms of the OGL and are designated Open Content.
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:27 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Gwyllion:
    The word Gwyllion [GWEE-cthon] is something of a misnomer, in that it can mean anything from ghost and bogeyman to highland wanderer and bandit; its rather like warlock in that respect. In the terms that Hunters use, however, it means something more like "book with boring cover and lots of REALLY sharp pages."
    A gwyllion, when encountered, appears for all the world like a very ugly and hairy human being, usually clad in ash covered sack-cloth or shirts woven from animal hair. They are pathetic seeming individuals and haunt the highways, leading folks astray and into dangerous ground with their lanterns and calls. A particular favourite is to lead someone into an area where a sheep-fold is hidden entirely by bracken and let them fall. While it seems that the victim has been abandoned to their fate, this is not always the case; instead they are usually observed to see if they get angry or fearful. Those who take it in stride are left alone.
    When a gwyllion takes it upon itself to make life miserable for someone, its true nature becomes slowly evident, for these human looking creatures are actually a breed of what the English refer to as Ogres. If viewed through a self bored stone, one fast realises that the creature is actually more than 9ft tall and causes a rippling effect in any terrain that it would otherwise have to squeeze through. Gwyllion are beasts of great strength and feast on the flesh of those who are angered by their pranks.
    On the other hand, a gwyllion is not exactly partial to human flesh, they just feel like they aught to eat you. As a result, they can be easily placated with a minimal amount of kind deference and some warm, tasty food and drink…if you get the chance, obviously.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gwyllion
    Large Giant (Fae)
    HD 4d8+20 (38)
    Speed 40ft ft. (8 squares); Climb 20ft
    Init: -2
    AC 13; touch 7; flat-footed 13
    (-2 Dex, -1 Size, +6 Natural)
    BAB +3; Grp +12
    Attack +7 Club (1d8+7)
    Full-Attack +7 Club (1d8+7) and +2 Slam (1d4+2) OR +7/+7 Slam (1d4+5)
    Space 10 ft*.; Reach 10 ft.
    Special Attacks
    Special Qualities DR 4/Cold Iron, Low Light Vision, Regeneration 5/Slashing, Slow of Thought -2
    Saves Fort: + 9 Reflex: + -1 Will: + 3
    Abilities Str: 20/+5 Dex: 6/-2 Con: 20/+5 Int: 10/- Wis: 12/+1 Cha: 12/+1
    Skills Bluff +11, Intimidate +9
    Feats Skill Focus [Bluff], Siren
    Environment Welsh Hills
    Organization Solitary; or Caravan (2-3)
    Challenge Rating 4
    Treasure 1d3 art; 1d2-1 Miscellaneous magical items
    Alignment Chaotic Neutral [Evil]
    Advancement by class; Favored Class Bard

Gwyllion do not attempt to engage in combat unless the target is already hurt and doesn't see the funny side, in which case, they generally pounce on the prone target from height and beat them to death.

Special Abilities:
    Siren [Ex]: As a Standard action, the Gwyllion demonstrates something appealing to a target within sight. Make Bluff check at -1 per 5ft between you and target, against the opponent's Sense Motive. Success draws the target towards you a number of squares equal to half their Move. If they encounter an obstacle, they may make a DC 12 Will save to stop. The Gwyllion uses either a Lantern or Dancing Lights for this purpose.]

Shroud [Su]:
    The Gwyllion is constantly covered in a powerful illusion that wraps part of the leading edges of the Hedge around it, hiding its true form. It is considered to be Medium sized for purposes of fitting through gaps and passes for human unless either angered [it appears normal while combative] or viewed through a True Seeing Spell. The shroud of a Gwyllion always makes them look like a dishevelled and ugly human of at least middle age.

Spell-likes: At Will:
    • CloudburstCD [Full action, Inflict Heavy Rain on 100ft radius within sight (-4 Spot, Listen + Range Attack, 50% chance to extinguish fires)],
    • Dancing Lights [Standard action, Create 1-6 orbs of light],
    • Gust of Wind [Standard action, create wind in one direction, 60ft long. Medium creatures require Fort DC 15 to move into wind, smaller creatures blown away, -4 Ranged attack],
    • Sleet Storm [Standard Action, 40ft radius in sight, blocks sight and requires DC 10 Balance check to move at half speed; failure by 5 = Prone.]

Goat Form [Su]: When it needs to escape or if it just thinks it would be funny, a gwyllion can adopt the shape of a goat and move slightly faster. In goat form, its Defence rises to 15, its base movement to 60ft and its Climb speed to 30ft. It does not attack in this form, instead shifting back to its giant form. Changing in this manner is a Move action.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gwyllion:
    Large Fæ Giant Humanoid 4 CP 4
    Init: + -1 , Senses: Listen + 1 , Spot +1
    Languages: Welsh, English, Bad Welsh
    Defence: 13 Flatfooted: 9
    Hardness: DR 4/Natural
    HD: 4d8 + 20 + 20 Hp: 58 Regeneration 5/Slashing
    Massive Damage: 20
    Thresholds: Green, [ 29 ] Yellow, [ 14 ] Orange, [ 6 ] Red
    Fort: + 9 Reflex: + -1 Will: + 3 Psyche: 17
    Speed: 40ft, Climb 20ft Space: 10ft* Reach: 10ft

Melee: +7 Club (1d8+7) and +2 Slam (1d4+2) OR +7/+7 Slam (1d4+5)

BAB: + 3 Grapple: +12 (1d6+5)
    Special Actions: Goat Form [Move action, small goat, Speed 60ft, Climb 30ft], Siren [As a Standard action, demonstrate something appealing to a target within sight. Make Manipulation check at -1 per 5ft between you and target. Success draws the target towards you a number of squares equal to half their Move. If they encounter an obstacle, they may make a DC 12 Will save to stop. The Gwyllion uses either a Lantern or Dancing Lights for this purpose.]

Combat Gear: Club
    Abilities: Str: 20/+5 Dex: 6/-2 Con: 20/+5 Int: 10/- Wis: 12/+1 Cha: 12/+1
    SQ: Low Light Vision, Slow of Thought -2

Feats: Siren, Skill Focus [Manipulation]

Skills: Bluff +5, Intimidate +9, Climb +17, Manipulation +12, Sense Motive +3

Possessions: Bag o'Snatch [contains various things stolen from travellers or occasionally demanded for their help from the desperate and stranded; 25% change of a Spoil within and you may roll again]
    Special Abilities:
    Shroud [Su]: The Gwyllion is constantly covered in a powerful illusion that wraps part of the leading edges of the Hedge around it, hiding its true form. It is considered to be Medium sized for purposes of fitting through gaps and passes for human unless either angered [it appears normal while combative] or viewed through a True Seeing Spell. The shroud of a Gwyllion always makes them look like a dishevelled and ugly human of at least middle age.

Spell-likes: At Will:
    • CloudburstCD [Full action, Inflict Heavy Rain on 100ft radius within sight (-4 Spot, Listen + Range Attack, 50% chance to extinguish fires)],
    • Dancing Lights [Standard action, Create 1-6 orbs of light],
    • Gust of Wind [Standard action, create wind in one direction, 60ft long. Medium creatures require Fort DC 15 to move into wind, smaller creatures blown away, -4 Ranged attack],
    • Sleet Storm [Standard Action, 40ft radius in sight, blocks sight and requires DC 10 Balance check to move at half speed; failure by 5 = Prone.]

Goat Form [Su]: When it needs to escape or if it just thinks it would be funny, a gwyllion can adopt the shape of a goat and move slightly faster. In goat form, its Defence rises to 15, its base movement to 60ft and its Climb speed to 30ft. It does not attack in this form, instead shifting back to its giant form. Changing in this manner is a Move action.

Lore:
    {table]DC|Lore

4|The Gwyllion is a hag type creature that lives in the wilds of Wales

9|Trust not lights on lonely paths. It may be a Gwyllion attempting to lead you astray

14|The Gwyllion is a Fae, Ogre-like creature that hides behind illusions and takes pleasure leading travellers off the path into danger

19|If led astray and you fall, laugh. The Gwyllion will leave you be and may even help. If not, it may well beat you to death.

24|Because it bypasses their Regeneration, Gwyllion are terrified of blades, to the point where anyone wielding one gains a +5 bonus on their Intimidate scores against one

29|A quick test for Gwyllion is to hold up a torch of burning Sage and Bracken. In the flickering light, the shroud wavers, revealing their true form briefly.[/table]

Feat:

Siren [MV, Social]:
    You are adept at making things seem attractive to others, to the point where it is in their detriment to accept.
    Prerequisites: Manipulation 6 ranks, Skill Focus [Manipulation]
    Description: As a Standard action, demonstrate something appealing to a target within sight. Make Manipulation check at -1 per 5ft between you and target. Success draws the target towards you a number of squares equal to half their Move. If they encounter an obstacle, they may make a Will save, DC 11+ Cha, to stop.

Siren [General]:
    You are Adept at making things look so provocative as to draw folks to them, even against their better judgement.
    Prerequisites: Bluff 6 ranks, Skill Focus [Bluff]
    Benefit: As a Standard action, you may attempt to draw an opponent to you. Make a Bluff check with a -1 penalty per 5ft apart you are from the target and compare it to a Sense Motive Check from the target. If you win, the target moves half their speed towards you. If they encounter an obstacle, they may make a Will save, DC 11+ Cha to realise the danger and stop.

Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Shyft Horse [Kelpie]:
    Known variously as the Kelpie, the Nuggle and the Nix, the Shyft Horse is actually nothing of the sort. The name comes from their preferred shape when attempting to lure people to their doom, for Shyft horses are at beast somewhat mean spirited and in general consider humans easier prey than animals.

The Shyft Horse may adopt any of a myriad shapes and transform quickly, making them slippery customers and difficult if not impossible to drive off. The most basic form of water horse is indicated below, with more advanced forms such as Nakken [Sweden], Nøkken [Norway] or the Hedley Kow [Scotland] detailed in the next entry.

The most basic tactics of a Shyft horse is to transform into a beautiful horse and stand around looking forlorn. When someone comes and attempts to ride it, it magically secretes a powerful glue that holds the victim in place before plunging into the waters of a nearby lake or river, ultimately feasting on the drowned corpse.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shyft Horse
    Large Fae Magical Beast (Shapechanger)
    HD 3d10 + 9 (25 hp)
    Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); Swim 40ft
    Init: +3
    AC 16; touch 12; flat-footed 13
    (-1 Size, +3 Dex, +4 Natural Armour)
    BAB +3; Grp +10
    Attack +5 Bite (1d8+3, 18/x2)
    Full-Attack +5 Bite (1d8+3, 18/x2) AND +0/+0 Hooves (1d6+3)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks Glue [Swift action, coat self in glue. Anyone touching becomes grappled and can be pinned without a check. Breaking free is difficult, see below], Siren [As a Standard action, demonstrate something appealing to a target within sight. Make Manipulation check at -1 per 5ft between you and target. Success draws the target towards you a number of squares equal to half their Move. If they encounter an obstacle, they may make a DC 12 Will save to stop.]
    Special Qualities Change Shape, DR 3/Natural, SR 13, Tweening
    Saves Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +3
    Abilities Str: 16/+3 Dex: 17/+3 Con: 16/+3 Int: 6/-2 Wis: 14/+2 Cha: 12/+1
    Skills Bluff +10, Swim +11
    Feats Skill Focus (Bluff), Siren46
    Environment Temperate, Near Water (especially Scotland, Sweden and Germany)
    Organization Solitary, Herd (5-12)
    Challenge Rating 2?
    Treasure Lair includes standard treasure, mostly in coins
    Alignment Always Chaotic, Usually Evil
    Advancement 4-12 Large

Shyft Horses don't try to fight, instead tricking a party member into mounting them and then attempting to drown them using their Glue ability. They occasionally abandon the initial target to go after a weak or poor swimming ally that plunges in after the first.

Special Abilities:
    Glue [Su]: As a Swift action, the Shyft Horse can cause its skin to change, becoming impossibly sticky, akin to Sovereign Glue. In this state, the Shyft Horse automatically succeeds on any Grapple checks made to Pin an opponent and can maintain a Pin without any direct effort on it's own part. Breaking free of the adhesive requires a DC 23 Strength check. Alcohol and Fire both grant +5 bonuses on this check for one round in reasonable quantities. Neither plant matter nor stone/soil sticks to this adhesive, for whatever reason.

Weapons that strike the Shyft Horse while it is coated in adhesive must make a DC 17 Reflex save or become stuck to the beast and therefore mostly useless. The Shyft Horse may will its adhesive out of existence at any time as a Swift action, causing anything attached to it at the time to fall off instantly.

Shapeshift [Ex]: As a Move action, a Shyft Horse may adopt the shape of any Herd animal [such as horses, sheep and cows], any Human [usually stunningly beautiful] or any Insect, including water bugs. The Shyft horse, while not particularly bright is good at guessing what will get to you thanks to experience and will generally turn into something thoroughly appealing. If it feels genuinely threatened, it will generally assume the form of a Fine insect and make good its escape.

Tweening [Ex]: The Shyft Horse is capable of tweening through both Dusk/Dawn and through Physical Boundaries such as the edges of bodies of water.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Large Fæ Shapeshifter Beast 3 CP 4
    Init: + 1 , Senses: Listen + 2 , Spot +2
    Languages: Gaelic
    3 Flatfooted: 9
    Hardness: DR 3/Natural
    HD: 3d10 + 9 + 16 Hp: 41
    Massive Damage: 16
    Thresholds: Green, [ 20 ] Yellow, [ 10 ] Orange, [ 4 ] Red
    Fort: + 6 Reflex: + 1 Will: + 3 Psyche: 16
    Speed: 40ft, Swim 40ft Space: 10ft Reach: 5ft

Melee: +5 Bite (1d8+3, 18/x2) AND +0/+0 Hooves (1d6+3)

BAB: + 3 Grapple: +10
    Special Actions: Glue [Swift action, coat self in glue. Anyone touching becomes grappled and can be pinned without a check. Breaking free is difficult, see below], Siren [As a Standard action, demonstrate something appealing to a target within sight. Make Manipulation check at -1 per 5ft between you and target. Success draws the target towards you a number of squares equal to half their Move. If they encounter an obstacle, they may make a DC 12 Will save to stop.]
    Abilities: Str: 16/+3 Dex: 8/-1 Con: 16/+3 Int: 6/-2 Wis: 14/+2 Cha: 12/+1
    SQ: Tweening

Feats: Ability Focus [Adhesive], Run[sup]B[, Siren46, Skill Focus [Manipulation], Swift Change

Skills: Bluff +4, Manipulation +10, Sense Motive +5, Swim +11
    Special Abilities:
    Glue [Su]: As a Swift action, the Shyft Horse can cause its skin to change, becoming impossibly sticky, akin to Sovereign Glue. In this state, the Shyft Horse automatically succeeds on any Grapple checks made to Pin an opponent and can maintain a Pin without any direct effort on it's own part. Breaking free of the adhesive requires a DC 23 Strength check. Alcohol and Fire both grant +5 bonuses on this check for one round in reasonable quantities. Neither plant matter nor stone/soil sticks to this adhesive, for whatever reason.

Weapons that strike the Shyft Horse while it is coated in adhesive must make a DC 17 Reflex save or become stuck to the beast and therefore mostly useless. The Shyft Horse may will its adhesive out of existence at any time as a Swift action, causing anything attached to it at the time to fall off instantly.

Shapeshift [Ex]: As a Move action, a Shyft Horse may adopt the shape of any Herd animal [such as horses, sheep and cows], any Human [usually stunningly beautiful] or any Insect, including water bugs. The Shyft horse, while not particularly bright is good at guessing what will get to you thanks to experience and will generally turn into something thoroughly appealing. If it feels genuinely threatened, it will generally assume the form of a Fine insect and make good its escape.

Tweening [Ex]: The Shyft Horse is capable of tweening through both Dusk/Dawn and through Physical Boundaries such as the edges of bodies of water.

Lore:
    {table]DC|Lore

3|You learn a local caution against mounting white horses

8|The Kelpie is from Scotland, the Bækhest is from Scandinavia. This is from here. Beware.

13|The Shyft Horse type of fae are tricksters that never wish men well.

18|Shift Horses usually appear as beautiful white horses of other herd animals. If touched, they cannot be released and drag their victims to the depths.

23|Shyft Horse glue can be dissolved partially with alcohol or heat. Avoid attacking them with melee attacks given that weapons stick to them.

28|Kelpies share certain traits with the Departed, being assumed to be dead spirits, and cannot cross a line of salt.[/table]

Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:58 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

A few beasties i've always wanted stats for... Noggles!
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Loss View Post
    A few beasties i've always wanted stats for... Noggles!
    I'm struggling finding any sources for that [my google fu is weak] that don't basically state that it's effectively a Kelpie adopting smaller sizes...

I could make a different version of the Kelpie based around Halflings and Ponies with a focus on trickery if you'd like; otherwise, i'd need some sources to work with, even if i then go on to take liberties

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Haints in the Hollers:

The backwaters of Tennessee are home to a curious kind of spirit; the Haint is a kind of ghost-light, similar to the Will-o'-wisp of Irish and North English peat bogs. It appears as a glowing mote of light that dances rather like a firefly or a dandelion seed on a light breeze, ever glowing and mildly fascinating.

To be more precise, a Haint is a passive, departed ghost-light, as opposed to the more aggressive an malicious forms found more commonly in Europe. When active, they must follow defined paths within about 10ft and are fascinating to watch; most people end up following the dancing orbs in an attempt to find out where they are going. For their part, the Haints desire release, and thus lead their pursuer to the location of their undiscovered corpse. The trouble with this is that they cannot communicate and their body is almost always located in a dangerous area, perhaps quicksand or buried under toxic briar and as a result, those that could have laid them to rest are often trapped alongsider them forever more.

When they take the time to stop, Haints reveal their original form. They cannot move more than a very careful pace in this form, lest they retract back into their less conscious form. When revealed in this way, they achieve little except staring longingly at those passing along nearby trails, wishing that they could communicate with them so that they could gain their eternal rest. The unlife of these departed unfortunates is made all the worse by the fact that they fade with the light of the dawn and begin to break apart if approached too closely.

A Haint spends its time trying to use its Lure ability to get a mortal to its place of death. They are rarely successful in getting their body laid to rest for the simple reason that they usually, inadvertently, lead their enthralled helper into the same danger that killed them. Haints suffer from the rules of the Fæ, which prevent them from revealing anything directly to a living being, forcing them to speak in riddles.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Haint
    Medium Undead (Fey, Incorporeal)
    HD 1d12 (6 hp)
    Speed Fly 50 ft. (10 squares)
    Init: +0
    AC 12; touch 12; flat-footed 12
    (+2 Deflection; Lure AC 16 [+4 Size])
    BAB +0; Grp +N/A
    Attack None
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks
    Special Qualities Anchor, Incorporeal, Natural Invisibility, Spirit Weaknesses, Turn Resistance +6, Tween
    Saves Fort +2 Ref +0 Will +4
    Abilities Str: - Dex: 10/- Con: - Int: 10/- Wis: 14/+2 Cha: 14/+2
    Skills Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Disguise +6, Sense Motive +6
    Feats Ability Focus [Lure]
    Environment The Hollers
    Organization Solitary, Failure (2-12)
    Challenge Rating 1
    Treasure Standard [With corpse]
    Alignment Neutral

Combat:
    Haints don't or can't fight. If confronted on the ethereal, they can flail like panicky unarmed humans. Their only goal, as stated above, is to use their Lure ability to guide others to their body.

Anchor: Each Haint is tied to their remains, which are usually located somewhere dangerous and hidden, deep in the wilderness. They cannot move more than a mile from their remains under any circumstance and unlike most spirits, they dearly want to escape their confinement, drawing others to the site of their death in the hopes that these helpful souls can retrieve and burn their bones. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out that way…

Lure [Su]: As a Swift action, the Haint can create a "ghostlight" a glowing mote of spiritual light to appear within 10ft of itself.

An creature viewing the Lure must make a Will save, DC 15, or follow the light to the best of their ability. They must make at least a Move action to keep it in view and if they can get within 5ft of the Lure, they attempt to touch it, pass through and the effect is automatically broken. This save is Charisma based.

Natural Invisibility [Ex]: The Haint is naturally invisible in addition to its Incorporeal state. It never becomes visible unless it remains completely stationary, in which case it resumes its human shape.

Spirit Weaknesses: As with all Spirit type creatures, the Haint cannot cross lines of salt and their Lure cannot cross unbroken lines of iron, such as train tracks. They can be turned, though they have 6 points of Turn Resistance.

Tween [Su]: A Haint may move between the Hedge and the real world freely, as a Swift action during dusk and dawn when the sun touches the horizon. They usually emerge in the dusk and slink back at dawn.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium Fæ Departed Spirit 1 CP 1, 4 to fully dispatch
    Init: -1 , Senses: Listen + 2 , Spot +2
    Languages: Whatever languages they spoke in life
    Defence: 12 Flatfooted: 10
    Disperse: 4
    Drive Off: 16
    Fort: + 1 Reflex: -1 Will: + 4 Psyche: 17 Tussle: n/a
    Speed: 50ft Space: 5ft Human, 10ft dispersed Reach: 5ft/0ft

Melee: None

BAB: + 0 Grapple: + n/a
    Special Actions: Disperse/Reform [Move action; the Haint shifts between a 10ft invisible cloud unable to affect its surroundings and its human form], Lure [Create Lure as a Swift action. Draws targets towards itself based on a Manipulation check]
    Abilities: Str: - Dex: 8/-1 Con: 12/+1 Int: 10/- Wis: 14/+2 Cha: 14/+2
    SQ: Anchor, Spirit Weaknesses, Tween

Feats: Dispersed Ability [Lure], Epic Skill Focus [Manipulation, Lure]B

Skills: Diplomacy +3, Gather Information +3, Manipulation +3, Sense Motive +3
    Special Abilities:
    Anchor: Each Haint is tied to their remains, which are usually located somewhere dangerous and hidden, deep in the wilderness. They cannot move more than a mile from their remains under any circumstance and unlike most spirits, they dearly want to escape their confinement, drawing others to the site of their death in the hopes that these helpful souls can retrieve and burn their bones. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out that way…

Lure: As a Swift action, the Haint can create a "ghostlight" a glowing mote of spiritual light to appear within 10ft of itself. Haints use this ability automatically while dispersed and never use it while congealed, so it always manifests within the dispersed 10ft cube of the Haint.

The Lure automatically makes a Manipulation check against each target within sight, using a +13 bonus, with targets being forced to move 5ft towards the lure per point that the check exceeds the target's Psyche on its next turn. This CAN force the target to make a Run action if it exceeds twice their base movement. When the target reaches the lure itself, it tries to touch it, only to find that it can't because the light has no substance. At this point, he cannot be affected by the light further.

The Haint may choose not to use its full bonus against targets if they are getting too close. It uses this ability to guide others back to their resting place.

Spirit Weaknesses:
    As with all Spirit type creatures, the Haint cannot cross lines of salt and their Lure cannot cross unbroken lines of iron, such as train tracks. They could be laid to rest or slain by a suitably skilled Exorcist or Paragon.

Tween: A Haint may move between the Hedge and the real world freely, as a Swift action during dusk and dawn when the sun touches the horizon. They usually emerge in the dusk and slink back at dawn.

Notes:
    This entry uses the Spirit type so it's only fair to give a basic run-down on the type. It is designed to mimic the way that spirits function in the TV series Supernatural rather than to have them behave as conventional opponents, as they do in most RPGs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spirits are non-solid creatures. They do not make contact with the ground, instead walking around via their common perception.

Disperse: If dealt damage greater than their Will save [base + Wis], the creature is Dispersed and becomes invisible and harmless. May reform or disperse as a Full action, or move around dispersed. In dispersed state may move through any porous material [brick or less dense].

Drive Off: If dealt damage equal to their Constitution score + their Will save bonus + Wis modifier, the Spirit is "driven off," a more extreme inconvenience. For every point of damage over the Drive Off value that the creature is dealt, it takes it one minute [5 rounds] to reform. A wise hunter uses this time to find its anchor and dispose of it.

Weaknesses: All spirits have a few weaknesses in common, all of which are symbolic.

Firstly, no spirit can abide salt. They cannot cross an unbroken line of salt that bars their path, the salt effectively projecting a vertical barrier from its location. Similarly, spirits take double damage from salt based attacks, usually shotgun shells firing rock salt. Note, however, that salt does not stop attacks from spirit powers.

Second, raw iron is disruptive to the liminal nature of spirits [like it is to Fæ]. Weapons of iron, though not steel, deal double damage to spirits. A barrier of iron, either in the form of iron filings or perhaps train rails, is a passable barrier to spirits but creates a line that their powers cannot cross [so hiding behind a rail will protect you from telekinesis or reveal a monstrous spirit but can't stop it chasing you.

Thirdly, spirits can be trapped and exorcised by the skills of an Exorcist. They can be cast out and destroyed in this manner [or sent back to hell, sent on to the next life etc], as well as held back. They are considered Unholy for most purposes, though they are not harmed excessively by Light damage [unless their other types render them unholy]. As with other Unholy things, no spirit can abide sanctified ground.

Finally, all spirits have an Anchor to the physical world. If destroyed, the spirit passes from he world of mortal experience [where exactly they go varies and most hunters don't really care]. The nature of the anchor varies but is usually tangible, such as a corpse, a tree or an object; in the case of a physical anchor, a ghost may not be separated from the anchor by more than 200ft. At other times, the anchor can be something less tangible.

In this case, the Haint is both Departed [spiritual undead type beings in MV] and a Fae, as they are tied to the natural world and local beliefs.

Lore:
    {table]DC:|Lore

1|The Haints are ghostlights found in the Hollers.

6|Haints lead folks astray and sometimes stand on roads staring at you...

11|A Haint is both a Fae and the spirit of a dead person. They lead folks around the backwoods and most who follow them aren't seen again.

16|Haints try to lead you to their body so you can bury it

21|Haints are the harmless form of ghostlight but one should be very careful if following one because the body is usually somewhere dangerous.

26|If you can, try to interrogate the Haint. Trap it with salt and ask it indirect questions. While they can't tell you the truth about their body, they can tell you what ISN'T so about it.[/table]

Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm excited about border goblins. Especially red caps, the Kaiju thing looks to be interesting as well.
    Last edited by Strudel110; 2010-05-20 at 06:01 PM.
    Pm me about your Homebrews I'll take a look!

My Homebrews

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Draugr:
    The word Draug [plural Draugr] means something like "returned dead," at least when paraphrased. The trouble is, the understanding behind that name is somewhat flawed. A much better name may well be "ridden dead," given the nature of the creatures involved.

A draug resembles a headless corpse under all circumstances and generally travels around in a boat that is half absent [though really half invisible]. This is actually glammer as they are actually bobbing along on coracle like boat made of driftwood and flotsam, though it is practically impossible to perceive as such without a self bored stone.

When one was finally captured, it was discovered that the seaweed head of some draugr is actually present in varying degrees on all such beings; the fæ itself is actually a parasitic, seaweed like creature that "rides" a human corpse and uses it to get around. Should a host body be destroyed, as long as a fragment escapes, the creature will recur as soon as it finds a human body to commandeer. The sight of a pair of draugr, usually of different breeds [there are two] fighting over a corpse on the beach has been a disturbingly common sight of late.

This one is a new thing for me because I've never honed my template making skills but this seemed too good to pass up. I'll put together an example in a little bit.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Template: Draugr:
    Draugr is an applied template that may be added to any corporeal undead (i.e. one with a body). All characteristics of the base creature not mentioned remain unchanged.

Size/Type: The Draugr remains undead but it gains the Fae subtype. Its size is unchanged.

Hit Dice: The Draugr gains +5 hp per HD as a result of its plant characteristics and Unliving Rage.

AC: The draugr suffers a -2 Rage penalty to AC

Special Attacks: The Draugr retains all special attack from its base form and gains the following:

Earthen Embrace [Ex]: It is the ultimate goal of a draugr to kill a target with minimal damage and tear off its head. Hence, it specialises in grappling. When a draugr maintains a Pin for more than one round, its victim suffers 1d12+Str damage each round that the pin is maintained from suffocation and limb twisting.

Special Qualities: The Draugr retains all special qualities of the base creature and gains the following.

Unliving Rage: The Draugr is in a permanent state of rage, despite being undead. It gains a +4 bonus to Str and bonus hp, as well as a penalty to AC. All of this has already been included in the stat block above.

Plant Traits: Despite being undead, the draugr requires a minimum of 4 hours of sunlight and at least a pint of fresh water a day.

Regeneration [Ex]: Bizarrely, draugr, because of the traditions that empower them, cannot be laid to rest by "the power of immortals." Wierder still, this basically boils down to being resistant to magical damage sources. a Draugr has Regeneration 10 per 5 HD it possesses that can only be bypassed by ENTIRELY non-magical attacks. This means unenchanted weapons and unbuffed natural attacks and EX abilities only.

Half-a-Boat [Ex]: As a Swift action, when next to water, a Draugr can call a Half-a-Boat, which is actually a raft of seaweed able to bear its weight under a powerful CL 20 Glammer. This grants what amounts to the ability to Water Walk which is cancelled on contact with fire.

Respawn [Ex]: Draugr are not actually the form that is listed here; technically speaking, they are actually the seaweed that gives animation to the body. This seaweed contains the soul of the Draugr and as long as some scrap of it remains, the entity is not slain. At the time of its destruction in its corpse riding form, the Draugr attempts to shed 1d6 scraps of weed. These have a limited movement of 1 foot per minute and ten to remain still in the hopes of being ignored. They do, however have the ability to Swim at a speed of 20ft.

Should one of these pieces reach a suitable corpse, the draug infiltrates it and takes up residence within the body. It then spreads out through the corpse, animating it within 1d6 hours and rebuilding damaged tissue with seaweed like plant matter. The seaweed scraps can be destroyed by burning only. Often, torching the area around aa landlocked draugr corpse is sufficient.

In addition, the Draugr reproduce by shedding a small portion of their essence into a spare corpse. This animates a separate entity with all the memories and nature of the original [a clone, in other words] but is from this point on, is a completely separate entity. Many draugr come to resent their parent.

Tweening:As Fae, Draugr have the ability to Tween, though only in a very specific means. They have the ability to tween only through the mouths of sea caves when the tide is going in or out.
    Feats: Gain Improved Grapple as a Bonus feat.

Abilities: +4 Str

CR: +2

Variant: Grassman
    Hailing from some of the older states of America, the Grassman is a kind of inland Draugr that while lacking the watery connection of its counterpart is much more difficult to put down permanently.

The Grassman, instead of releasing seaweed, releases 2d6 strands of Grass, each with a burrow speed of 5ft. If not torched with great speed, the beast will survive. It does not gain the Half-a-boat ability and tweens through the outer boundaries of camps at noon and midnight [whether the camp is inhabited or not is not important to the creature].

Example Draugr:
    Draugr Coffer Corpse - Lost Sailor [Tome of Horrors OGL]
    Medium Undead
    Hit Dice: 2d12+13 (26 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
    Armor Class: 12 (+1 Dex, +3 natural, -2 Rage), touch 9, flatfooted
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+4 (+8 when using death grip)
    Attack: Slam +6 melee (1d4+7)
    Full Attack: Slam +4 melee (1d4+7)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Death grip 1d4+7, earthen grasp 1d12+5, fear, improved grab
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/magic and bludgeoning,
    darkvision 60 ft., deceiving death, Regeneration 10/Non-magical attack, +2 turn resistance, undead traits
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 20, Dex 12, Con —, Int 6, Wis 13, Cha
    Skills: Intimidate +5, Hide +2, Listen +4, Spot +3
    Feats: Toughness, Improved GrappleB
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Always chaotic evil
    Advancement: 3-4 (Medium); 5-6 HD (Large)

The original Lost Sailor was a man named Lars Ulborden from the norther coasts of Norway. After his shipmates failed to even mention his death following his sweeping overboard during a storm, tradition dictated that he needed revenge on them for failing to let him go. He has been multiplying ever since, spreading along the seaboard, a half remembered quest to find his old shipmates still sitting in the back of his decaying mind.

Lost Sailors resemble powerful men in oilskins with a waterlogged appearance and a smell of death about them. Their head is a mass of bone fragments and saeweed, long locks of the stuff cascading down their backs.

Combat:
    Lost Sailors attack when someone violates their burial ground, usually an area of about 20 miles around their point of death. This tends to mean that there are multiple identical Lost Sailors dwelling in overlapping burial grounds but they rarely, if ever, work together. They'd only end up fighting over the corpses...

Death Grip (Ex): A Lost Sailor deals 1d4+4 points of damage per round with a successful grapple check. Because the coffer corpse grasps the victim’s throat, a creature in its grasp cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components. A Lost Sailor gains a +4 racial bonus to grapple checks because it holds on with such tenacity. This bonus is already included in the Base Attack/Grapple line above.

Deceiving Death (Ex): In any round in which a Lost Sailor is struck for 6 or more points of damage (whether the damage bypasses the creature’s damage reduction or not), the creature slumps to the ground, seemingly destroyed. If it has fastened its death grip on a victim, it releases its hold
    when is falls. A character viewing the coffer corpse’s destruction can make a DC 20 Sense Motive check to see through the ruse. Necromancers get a +2 competence bonus on their check.

On its next turn, the Lost Sailor rises again as if reanimated. A creature viewing this “reanimation” is subject to the coffer corpse’s fear effect (see below).

Earthen Embrace [Ex]: It is the ultimate goal of a Lost Sailor to kill a target with minimal damage and tear off its head. Hence, it specialises in grappling. When a draugr maintains a Pin for more than one round, its victim suffers 1d12+Str damage each round that the pin is maintained from suffocation and limb twisting.

Fear (Su): A creature viewing a Lost Sailor rise after it uses its deceiving death ability (see below) must succeed on a DC 13 Will save or become panicked for 2d4 rounds. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Half-a-Boat [Ex]: As a Swift action, when next to water, a Lost Sailor can call a Half-a-Boat, which is actually a raft of seaweed able to bear its weight under a powerful CL 20 Glammer. This grants what amounts to the ability to Water Walk which is cancelled on contact with fire.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Lost Sailor must hit an opponent of its size or smaller with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can use its death grip ability.

Respawn [Ex]: Lost Sailors are not actually the form that is listed here; technically speaking, they are actually the seaweed that gives animation to the body. This seaweed contains the soul of the Lost Sailor and as long as some scrap of it remains, the entity is not slain. At the time of its destruction in its corpse riding form, the Lost Sailor attempts to shed 1d6 scraps of weed. These have a limited movement of 1 foot per minute and ten to remain still in the hopes of being ignored. They do, however have the ability to Swim at a speed of 20ft.

Should one of these pieces reach a suitable corpse, the Lost Sailor infiltrates it and takes up residence within the body. It then spreads out through the corpse, animating it within 1d6 hours and rebuilding damaged tissue with seaweed like plant matter. The seaweed scraps can be destroyed by burning only. Often, torching the area around a landlocked Sailor corpse is sufficient.

In addition, the Lost Sailor reproduce by shedding a small portion of their essence into a spare corpse. This animates a separate entity with all the memories and nature of the original [a clone, in other words] but is from this point on, is a completely separate entity.

Tweening: As Fae, Lost Sailors have the ability to Tween, though only in a very specific means. They have the ability to tween only through the mouths of sea caves when the tide is going in or out.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This one is a little more basic at the moment, until i figure out how to actually DO templates for the MV system.

Draugr:

Medium Fæ Humanoid 6 (Aquatic) CP 6, 9 to put down permanently
    Init: + 2 , Senses: Listen + 1 , Spot +1
    Languages: any one local
    Defence: 15 Flatfooted: 10
    Hardness: DR 10/Slashing, DR 6/Natural = 16
    HD: 6d8 + 30 + 20 Hp: 77 Regeneration 10/Unarmed
    Massive Damage: 20
    Thresholds: Green, [ 38 ] Yellow, [ 19 ] Orange, [ 7 ] Red
    Resist: Fire 10 (waterlogged)
    Fort: + 10 Reflex: + 2 Will: + 4 Psyche: 16
    Speed: 30ft Space: 5ft Reach: 5ft

Melee: +11 Unarmed (1d4+5)

BAB: + 4 Grapple: +15
    Special Actions: Brutal [Once per encounter, the Draugr may succeed automatically on a single combat manoeuvre, usually a Grapple], Earth's Embrace [Each round that it successfully maintains a Pin, the Draugr deals 1d12+Str damage to the grappled foe.]
    Abilities: Str: 20/+5 Dex: 8/-1 Con: 20/+5 Int: 6/-2 Wis: 12/+1 Cha: 10
    SQ: Respawn, Tween

Feats: Earth's Embrace, Improved Grapple, Improved Unarmed Strike

Skills: Profession [Sailor] +7

Possessions: Half a Boat [actually a seaweed float hat grants a speed of 20ft on the water. Destroyed instantly by fire]
    Special Abilities:
    Half-a-Boat [Ex]: As a Swift action, when next to water, a Draugr can call a Half-a-Boat, which is actually a raft of seaweed able to bear its weight under a powerful CL 20 Glammer. This grants what amounts to the ability to Water Walk which is cancelled on contact with fire.

Respawn [Ex]: Draugr are not actually the form that is listed here; technically speaking, they are actually the seaweed that gives animation to the body. This seaweed contains the soul of the Draugr and as long as some scrap of it remains, the entity is not slain. At the time of its destruction in its corpse riding form, the Draugr attempts to shed 1d6 scraps of weed. These have a limited movement of 1 foot per minute and ten to remain still in the hopes of being ignored. They do, however have the ability to Swim at a speed of 20ft.

Should one of these pieces reach a suitable corpse, the draug infiltrates it and takes up residence within the body. It then spreads out through the corpse, animating it within 1d6 hours and rebuilding damaged tissue with seaweed like plant matter. The seaweed scraps can be destroyed by burning only. Often, torching the area around aa landlocked draugr corpse is sufficient.

In addition, the Draugr reproduce by shedding a small portion of their essence into a spare corpse. This animates a separate entity with all the memories and nature of the original [a clone, in other words] but is from this point on, is a completely separate entity. Many draugr come to resent their parent.

Tweening:As Fae, Draugr have the ability to Tween, though only in a very specific means. They have the ability to tween only through the mouths of sea caves when the tide is going in or out.

Variant: The Grass Man
    One form of inland Draugr is the Grass Man, a fæ found in the more rural areas of America such as Ohio and Indiana, though it originated in Northern Europe.

This type of Draugr is basically identical to the traditional draug but has its medium in the form of long grasses. As such, it loses the Aquatic ability and gains an additional use to Brute per encounter.

Lore:
    {table]DC:|Lore

6 |Draugr are deadly half men that come out of the sea

11|Draugr try to kill you and then take your body. Men killed by draugr's clothing comes back on other draugr.

16|Draugr want corpses because they use them to spawn more of their kind.

21|Killing a draugr is difficult because it resists most of the obvious attack forms such as magic weapons and spells.

26|Killing a Draugr in unarmed combat is difficult but will put it down.

31|Burn the corpse of a Draugr with care, lest it respawn. Dropping holywater in the sea around a corpse will make the seaweed scraps float to the surface for a few minutes.[/table]

And there we are. I'll sort out an example Draugr in a while and the MV template [not that anyone cares about that] whenever i manage to figure that particular puzzle out. I know i promised the Kaiju next but i've been distracted by the Questing Beast, which is quite the most horrifying piece of lore i've ever read, so that'll probably be next.

Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:33 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Colossus in the Playground

eek Re: Fae-o-matic. You find the folklore, I make the beasty!

Honestly, I can't find much for switzerland. It seems that most of our Folklore and "old" traditions, including yodelling, alphorns, folk songs and traditional clothing were made in the 19th century to unify the country (i.e. the big cities thought we needed a common heritage.)

Still, from what I could find, we had several classics (miner dwarves, dragonets (small dragons about the size of a dog)), various more or less corrupted celtic and germanic gods and spirits, Gryffins, Basiliks (both of which are on various local flags). Interestingly also: Berchthold, ruler of the wild hunt.

I have found a 100 page PDF document in german, I'll have a look at that later.

Interestingly, I've found a few positive undead: a loving mother dying of a disease can protect her children against it.

Oh, and, apparently, little girls can order their souls to leave their bodies and wander around as small, cute animals. That's why it's bad to kill those.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-05-30 at 09:19 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Example Draugr up, based on the Tome of Horrors Coffer Corpse.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

So's we know... what's the complete queue at the moment?

(Yes, I'm basically wondering whether my suggested Maori faeries are there. But I'm sure others are wondering similarly about their suggestions.)

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NakedCelt View Post
    So's we know... what's the complete queue at the moment?

(Yes, I'm basically wondering whether my suggested Maori faeries are there. But I'm sure others are wondering similarly about their suggestions.)
    I've been taking them from the main list into the "work in progress" queue as the whim takes me thus far. I'll saddle the Goblins for long enough to do the Maori Elves for you, though.

Questing Beast is done, awaiting conversion back to 3.5, then the Daikaiju, then your elf things, then the Goblins. Do you have any more on them? The first website is sparse, unless you'd like me to add to them myself.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Questing Beast:
    The Questing Beast is a figure of Arthurian Legend. The trouble is, the damn thing doesn't seem to know that! The original Questing Beast was also called the Beast Glatisant, the barking beast. A Questing beast has the body of a lion, the head of a snake, the feet of a deer and variously the horns of a ram, a stag or a goat; the leonine body is constantly bloated as its blasphemous children attempt to gnaw their way free from its rapidly healing flesh.

Questing Beasts are born from family betrayal in a manner similar to the Chupacabra, which is born from the deceased when one family member murders another in the heat of passion. The origins of the Questing Beast are somewhat more unsettling; according to folklore, the Questing Beast was born from a sister, who through obsession accused her brother of incest with her, such was her desire for him, and ended with her father having him ripped apart by hounds. The brother cursed the sister to "be visited again by the sounds of my suffering here."

The Questing Beast doesn't attack except if cornered, though it doesn't actually evade all that often, instead letting opponents get a couple of blows in, in order to spill out a few of its horribly annoying young. It then curses at least one target with its Geas and then flees, ready to amuse itself through long years of pursuit. As the Geas is broken when the Questing Beast is downed, it tends to regenerate anyway, with the hunters being able to wander off, uninterested in its ugly pelt because of months and years of degrading pursuit.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Name

Large Outsider
    Hit Dice: 12d8+60
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 80ft (16 squares)
    Armor Class: 26 (+2 Dex, -1 Size, +15 Natural), touch 11, flat-footed 24
    Base Attack: +12 Grapple:
    Attack: +17 Bite (3d6+6, 17/x2 plus Poison)
    Full Attack: +17 Bite (3d6+6 plus Poison) and +12 Bite (1d8+3)
    Space/Reach: 10ft/5ft (15ft Bite)
    Special Attacks: Geas Gaze, Poison
    Special Qualities: DR 25/Geased Hero, DR 12/Natural, Energy Resistance 30, Low Light Vision, Reactive Spawn, Regeneration 10/Non-magical attack, SR 35, Tweening
    Saves: Fort +13, Ref +10, Will +6
    Abilities Str: 22/+6 Dex: 14/+2 Con: 20/+5 Int: 16/+3 Wis: 7/-2 Cha: 10/-
    Skills: Balance +16, Concentration +18, Hide +12, Jump +16, Listen +15, Move Silently +16, Sense Motive +15, Spot +15
    Feats: Ability Focus [Geas Gaze], Combat Expertise, Fleet of FootCW, Improved Critical [Bite], Run
    Environment: Forest
    Organization: Solitary (Unique)
    Challenge Rating: 14
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Advancement: 13-18 Large, 19-24 Huge

Slipping between the trees at the far side of the glade is a creature that seems to be a mishmash of other beasts. It has the body and pelt of a leopard, the head of a snake, horns like a goat and the feet of a deer. Its body is bloated and writhes, as though a sack filled with rats. It regards you briefly and as you meet its eye, you feel a burning, overwhelming need to capture the thing.

The Questing Beast is born of a curse on the most disturbing aspects of humanity. Now, it and its filthy progeny, which it gains an odd ability to command once they leave its body, lead men astray and incite obsession in others.

Combat
    The Questing Beast generally doesn't fight beyond attempting to knock out enough of its opponents in order to escape so that the pursuit can begin anew. If a geased fowe has been pursuing it and has caught up to it for the third time, it will stand and fight.

Geas Gaze [Su]: Any mortal who meets the gaze of a Questing beast [range 120ft, Reflex 19 negates], becomes Geased, obliged to actively hunt the Questing Beast until he can slay it. If the victim goes for more than a week without actively attempting to find and slay the beast, he suffers a Mental Wound every 24 hours until he picks up the trail once again. The penalties stand until either cured or the Questing Beast itself is slain. This save is Charisma based.

Hedge Draw [Su]: The Most dangerous ability possessed by the Questing Beast is the ability to create a seamless portal between the real world and the Hedge in its wake. Doing so is a Swift action and any being within 10ft of the Beast's path while pursuing it becomes drawn into the Hedge. Do not announce that either the beast or the other pursuers have become invisible until the End-Phase. This ability may be used, at most, once every 1d4 rounds. Those abandoned in the Hedge are lost for 1d6 hours before emerging in a random location within 1d6 miles. For every hour they remain in the Hedge, the characters suffers 1d6 points of damage.

Poison: [Ex] - Injection, Bite: DC 21, Initial: 1d4 Str, 1d4 Dex, Id4 Con; Secondary: 1d4 Str, 1d4 Dex, Id4 Con

Reactive Spawn: Whenever the Questing Beast suffers 18 damage or more from a hit, it is rent open and one of its horrible, mewling spawn comes tumbling out before the wound closes, speeded by the reduction of creatures inside trying to eat its flesh. Spawn are detailed below and each time one of these creatures falls out, the Questing Beast's Regeneration increases by 5, to a maximum of 40 per round.

Spawn: Whenever either it's Reactive Spawn ability triggers or when it chooses to rip itself open as a Swift action [an action that doesn't increase its regeneration], the Questing Beast produces a spawn, a creature that resembles a miniature version of the parent as a puppy resembles the bitch. These spawn are slain instantly if they suffer any damage and act on an Initiative count of the Beast's own +1.

Whenever a Spawn is adjacent to an enemy, that enemy is treated as Flanked as long as the spawn remains in place. The spawn's statistics are summarised below:

Spawn (Small Spawn):
    Defence: 13 Flatfooted: 11
    Damage Reduction: 3/Natural
    Saves: Fort +13, Ref +10, Will +6
    Move: 80ft
    Attack: +17 Bite 1d6

Tweening: As a Fæ, the Questing Beast has the ability to enter or leave the Hedge as a Swift action. It may move through Dusk/Dawn, Physical Boundaries, The Space Beneath and Shadows.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Questing Beast:
    Large Demonic Fæ Beast 6 Thing 5 [Earth] CP 14
    Init: + 8 , Senses: Listen + 18 , Spot +18
    Languages: Bablish [All languages]
    Defence: 18 Flatfooted: 9 [+6 as Swift]
    Hardness: DR 11/Natural
    HD: 6d10 + 5d6 + 44 + 18 Hp: 112 Regeneration 10*/Piercing
    Massive Damage: 18
    Thresholds: Green, [ 56 ] Yellow, [ 28 ] Orange, [ 11 ] Red
    Fort: + 11 Reflex: + 8 Will: + 7 Psyche: 26
    Speed: 80ft Space: 10ft Reach: 5ft, Shift 10ft

Melee: +13 Bite (3d6+6 Plus Venom, Crit 19/x2)
    AND +8 Tail (1d8+3)

BAB: + 8 Grapple: +18
    Special Actions: Detonate [Swift Action; targeted Spawn within 30ft explodes, dealing 3d6 Acid to those adjacent to it; Fort DC 22/half],
    Gaze [Gaze 30ft; any creature that fails its save is affected as if by a Geas spell that forces them to actively pursue the Questing Beast until they are able to slay it.],
    Venom [Any creature bitten by the Questing Beast takes +2d6 Mangle damage from the venom and must make a Fort save, DC 10 + Damage or take 1d6 Subdual per round thereafter [Fort DC 19, two consecutive saves ends]]
    Abilities: Str: 22/+6 Dex: 18/+4 Con: 18/+4 Int: 16/+3 Wis: 12/+1 Cha: 10/-
    SQ: Agile, Disturbing [Until QB attacks, Will DC 21 or stand and stare], Earth Dependence [11 damage per round if kept off the ground], Immune to Precision Damage, Reactive Spawn, Terrible [Auto-Intimidate, roll 10], Tweening

Feats: Ability Focus [Geas Gaze], Dodge, Fleet of Foot [Make up to one 90° turn when running or charging], Improved Critical [Bite], Improved Dodge, Improved Natural Attack [Bite], Mobility, Run [Run at x5, retain active defence]

Skills: Balance +16, Concentration +18, Hide +15, Jump +16, Listen +18, Move Silently +19, Sense Motive +15, Spot +18
    Special Abilities:
    Geas Gaze [Su]: Any mortal who meets the gaze of a Questing beast [range 120ft, Reflex 19 negates], becomes Geased, obliged to actively hunt the Questing Beast until he can slay it. If the victim goes for more than a week without actively attempting to find and slay the beast, he suffers a Mental Wound every 24 hours until he picks up the trail once again. The penalties stand until either cured or the Questing Beast itself is slain.

Hedge Draw [Su]: The Most dangerous ability possessed by the Questing Beast is the ability to create a seamless portal between the real world and the Hedge in its wake. Doing so is a Swift action and any being within 10ft of the Beast's path while pursuing it becomes drawn into the Hedge. Do not announce that either the beast or the other pursuers have become invisible until the End-Phase. This ability may be used, at most, once every 1d4 rounds. Those abandoned in the Hedge are lost for 1d6 hours before emerging in a random location within 1d6 miles. For every hour they remain in the Hedge, the characters suffers 1d6 points of damage.

Reactive Spawn: Whenever the Questing Beast suffers 18 damage or more from a hit, it is rent open and one of its horrible, mewling spawn comes tumbling out before the wound closes, speeded by the reduction of creatures inside trying to eat its flesh. Spawn are detailed below and each time one of these creatures falls out, the Questing Beast's Regeneration increases by 5, to a maximum of 40 per round.

Spawn: Whenever either it's Reactive Spawn ability triggers or when it chooses to rip itself open as a Swift action [an action that doesn't increase its regeneration], the Questing Beast produces a spawn, a creature that resembles a miniature version of the parent as a puppy resembles the bitch. These spawn are slain instantly if they suffer any damage and act on an Initiative count of the Beast's own +1.

Whenever a Spawn is adjacent to an enemy, that enemy is treated as Flanked as long as the spawn remains in place. The spawn's statistics are summarised below:

Spawn (Small Spawn):
    Defence: 13 Flatfooted: 11
    Damage Reduction: 3/Natural
    Fort: + 11 Reflex: + 8 Will: + 7
    Move: 80ft
    Attack: +13 Bite 1d6

Tweening: As a Fæ, the Questing Beast has the ability to enter or leave the Hedge as a Swift action. It may move through Dusk/Dawn, Physical Boundaries, The Space Beneath and Shadows.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Lore

Knowledge [Nobility and Royalty]
    {table]DC|Lore

12|The Questing Beast has been an obsession of many knights over the years

17|The Beast has a venom that can slay virtually any man

22|Those who chase the Beast often end up being sucked into the Hedge

27|The Questing Beast is devoured constantly by its progeny so the more of them you cut out, the faster it heals.

32|The Questing Beast likes to interfere when its chosen knight is in amorous pursuit. Wise knights learn to use this to their advantage.

37|Only those brave enough to face the beast without magical assistance can prevail[/table]

Plot Suggestion:
    A local lord has been cursed by the Questing Beast, a curse that repells all magical attempts at dispelling it. The PCs have been hired to aid in his quest to slay the beast.

Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    I've been taking them from the main list into the "work in progress" queue as the whim takes me thus far. I'll saddle the Goblins for long enough to do the Maori Elves for you, though.

Questing Beast is done, awaiting conversion back to 3.5, then the Daikaiju, then your elf things, then the Goblins. Do you have any more on them? The first website is sparse, unless you'd like me to add to them myself.
    Did you read the second page? Most interesting ability is probably this:
    Patupaiarehe were known to lure people, especially attractive women, to their midst. A patupaiarehe would use hypnotic magical sounds from his flute to lure a young woman to his side, and then take her back to his camp. There he would make love to her before taking her home. The spell he had cast on her meant that he could call her at any time and she would be compelled to return to him.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Didn't see that teeny tiny line until i went back and looked again. I didn't understand the original "2 pages" through internet blindness

I'll get on that as soon as i've used Bhu's Kaiju creator to make the other thing [writing it up will be harder than designing it]...

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

In my area, few legends are easy to come by. The only one I've heard even a mention of is the wendigo. Unfortunately for any attempt at adaptation, this is a very versatile monster. Sometimes it's a giant, sometimes it's a spirit, sometimes its a cursed mortal, sometimes it's not. All I can tell you about the local version follows. It's a spirit of winter, so dangerous you don't even want to say its name, much less discuss it, during winter (which is basically six months out of the year hereabouts). It can fly in fast and catch you any time, and it's always very hungry. It has a heart of ice and it can freeze you to death, devour you whole, or drive you insane with hunger. Some versions of the wendigo can turn others or people turn into them when they turn to cannibalism out of desperation when there's no food in winter, but I'm not aware of that applying to the local version.

In doing research for my own fey project, I've collected a couple dozen web resources of RL folklore which you might find interesting - let me know if you want any research help. I share the OP's interest in drawing from myth and legend, at least to an extent. Those who like this thread might want to check out Songs of the Sidhe, the project I'm developing with a group over at Dicefreaks: http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewforum.php?f=13
    Everything I wanted to know about the planes I learned at Dicefreaks.

Projects to watch:
    City of Seven Seraphs for PF from Lost Spheres Publishing
    The Faerie Ring: Along the Twisting Way for PF and 5e from Zombie Sky Press
    Psionics Guide for Starfinder from Dreamscarred Press