New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

The only reason Cora is here at all is because Sydney's glasses communicated with her. We don't know how much info she received, but it was probably more than "S.O.S. these coordinates". Therefore, it's likely Cora knew Concretia was under duress and that red-hood guy deserved unpleasant treatment.

I wonder if the Evisceration Bullet hurts more than, e.g., a .45 round to the liver. We'll never know, because no one has ever lived to describe how many agons they experienced. It may be that it's messy but too quick to actually feel much.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I wonder if the Evisceration Bullet hurts more than, e.g., a .45 round to the liver. We'll never know, because no one has ever lived to describe how many agons they experienced. It may be that it's messy but too quick to actually feel much.
    He didn't seem to be writhing in agony before the bullet 'triggered' in him. He was more mad than anything. Heck, he acted more like he got a sharp punch in the shoulder. And judging from the reactions, it was fast. Plus, no strangled scream - so not much on that 'pain' thing.

Now, a round to the liver? if it doesn't send the person into immediate shock, well, that's exsanguination right there. Big ol' gaping hole in the gut, he'd be writhing until the blood loss caught up...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    He didn't seem to be writhing in agony before the bullet 'triggered' in him. He was more mad than anything. Heck, he acted more like he got a sharp punch in the shoulder. And judging from the reactions, it was fast. Plus, no strangled scream - so not much on that 'pain' thing.

Now, a round to the liver? if it doesn't send the person into immediate shock, well, that's exsanguination right there. Big ol' gaping hole in the gut, he'd be writhing until the blood loss caught up...
    This conversation reminds me of Christopher Lee and how he corrected Peter Jackson on the scene, where Saruman gets a knife in the back.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

4. - Top - End - #304

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    This conversation reminds me of Christopher Lee and how he corrected Peter Jackson on the scene, where Saruman gets a knife in the back.
    "I don't have to imagine it."

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't have to imagine it."
    He was a former special forces?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    During II WW to be precise. It would be easier to list things Christopher Lee did not do in his life. Just reading the wiki article on him is quite an experience.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Served with the Long range Desert Group (predecessor to the SAS) in North Africa, then served with a served with a Gurkha regiment and did some time with the SOE later in the war. And that's only part of his experience.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

8. - Top - End - #308
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Served with the Long range Desert Group (predecessor to the SAS) in North Africa, then served with a served with a Gurkha regiment and did some time with the SOE later in the war. And that's only part of his experience.
    There is a reason the man was in a heavy metal band in his 80s. Because yes he IS that hardcore of a guy. Literally anyone else it would have been hilarious like watching grandpa try to sing gangstas paradise. But when he stands there talking about shedding the blood of the saxon men, you start to believe this is a musical autobiography.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

Yea that quote from Christopher Lee about back stabbing always gives me the shivers, and it came up because Jackson was wanting him to scream when he was stabbed and Lee wasn't having it.

Anyways new page, I kind of like this one. Lowkey Hench Wench seems to have a specific talent for lateral thinking with powers. Like figuring out how to abuse hers to gain a suite of powers instead of just one or figuring out the multibody trick before Concretia had even worked it out. She might eventually be Sydney's one true nemesis!
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Yea that quote from Christopher Lee about back stabbing always gives me the shivers, and it came up because Jackson was wanting him to scream when he was stabbed and Lee wasn't having it.

Anyways new page, I kind of like this one. Lowkey Hench Wench seems to have a specific talent for lateral thinking with powers. Like figuring out how to abuse hers to gain a suite of powers instead of just one or figuring out the multibody trick before Concretia had even worked it out. She might eventually be Sydney's one true nemesis!
    I look on it more as an outsiders opinion. You can only think of so many applications for your abilities, but an outsider can look at them and theorize something else entirely. Its one of the reasons superhero stories are hard to write well. With thousands of fans picking apart every aspect of the character and its abilities, they tend to see loopholes you missed, or come up with theories on what they could do with their power that you hadnt considered. You want your hero to be knocked out and the fans go, "But wait, because they are immune to abc, that means hitting them with xyz wouldnt work because blah blah blah." Then you either have to come up with a patch to cover the plot hole, which can further complicate the story, or ignore it which could ruin the immersion of the readers. But yeah, side track over, point being, anybody can take a first look at a power set and go, "Oooh, can you do this?" and have it be a new thing they never tried. Because they havent spent years locked in a single outlook of their abilities like the owner has. Hench wench may be better at it than average because she is used to adapting to a wide variety of powers based on whoever is hiring her though.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

I see it more like being a case of something Concretia newer really had a use for.
    Since to start, she likely wanted to avoid people figuring out she were an astral projection hiding in a golem.
    And she seems to have better control inside it.

12. - Top - End - #312

SamuraiGuy

I see it more like being a case of something Concretia newer really had a use for.
    Since to start, she likely wanted to avoid people figuring out she were an astral projection hiding in a golem.
    And she seems to have better control inside it.
    You make me wonder - what's the maximum range? Can avatar Concretia lie atop a skyscraper, peer over the edge, and create golem after golem in the street below, wreaking havoc as supers / police destroy meaningless concrete figures? Could she do it from the space station?

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Can avatar Concretia lie atop a skyscraper, peer over the edge, and create golem after golem in the street below, wreaking havoc as supers / police destroy meaningless concrete figures?
    She uses her astral form to create golem bodies, so regardless of her control range this scenario isn't possible. Though if she does have that much range, she could do something like this with a bunch of pre-created bodies.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

14. - Top - End - #314

SamuraiGuy

And now the powers of Hench Wench get even more "comic". She can (per WoG in the notes) only copy the powers of Super Villains. And now she's fired and loses all her powers?

Anyway, I hope Archon has a way to prevent her from signing any contracts while in prison.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

And now the powers of Hench Wench get even more "comic". She can (per WoG in the notes) only copy the powers of Super Villains. And now she's fired and loses all her powers?
    ...yes. That was pretty explicitly always how it worked. How are you surprised?
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

...yes. That was pretty explicitly always how it worked. How are you surprised?
    I think the surprise lies that, somehow, her powers can differentiate the power of a Supervillain versus a Superhero.

It's like it being able to differentiate between Achilles' invulnerability and Brut's invulnerability.

Neither can be harmed physically, but HW's powers will somehow know not to work with Achilles, but will with Brut?

17. - Top - End - #317
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I'm just going to go with "Brut is just talking out his butt here". Or is HW a Patreon cameo? I forget.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I'm just going to go with "Brut is just talking out his butt here". Or is HW a Patreon cameo? I forget.
    HW is a patreon cameo

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

It's a super power. Even in the context of their own magic and super science filled universe of monsters angels and demons they are considered an outside context issue. All y'all overthinking things to much.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

And now the powers of Hench Wench get even more "comic".
    How dare a character in a comic have comic powers?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. Hence why i complained about her from the start.

How dare a character in a comic have comic powers?
    Since it seems like its a hard concept to understand. Then i will try and explain in a little more detail.
    The concept of "comic" is in fact exceptionally broad. Broad enough that something from one end of the spektrum can ruin the immersion on the other end.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

Since it seems like its a hard concept to understand. Then i will try and explain in a little more detail.
    The concept of "comic" is in fact exceptionally broad. Broad enough that something from one end of the spektrum can ruin the immersion on the other end.
    Well, your odd standards aren't the authors problem. It's a nifty power and I got a great laugh out of it.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

"Works with villains, not with heroes" is where the power crossed the line into "what the hell?" territory for me.

How the hell does the power "know" who's a villain and who's a hero? It requires "hero" and "villain" to be actual in-setting things, and not narrative contrivances.

It takes the power from "how does this work in the context of the fictional setting?" to "this power is purely narrative cheese".
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2021-02-01 at 12:37 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

24. - Top - End - #324

Shouldn't we be blaming whoever paid $50 for the cameo, not Dave who just wrote it in?

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    "Works with villains, not with heroes" is where the power crossed the line into "what the hell?" territory for me.
    So we can have werewolves, vampires and short universe hacking secret agents of the supernatural iluminati who work alongside super humans with complete and total invincibility or gold plated goddeses of destruction with the power to one shot capitol ships alongside aliens and demons and doppelgangers... or people who are all three at once teamed up with martial artists so good they may as well be super human and martial artists who literally just tap into magical energy somehow most of which all have functions so esoteric and arcane that not even the esoteric arcane beings of super advanced alien technology and magical knowhow can work out how they work but this is just a bridge to far?

Shouldn't we be blaming whoever paid $50 for the cameo, not Dave who just wrote it in?
    From what Dave said all they did was pick the name and Dave went from there, so really the power is all him. Not that there is anything to "blame" him for.

26. - Top - End - #326

Okay, I didn't know that. The Patreon description says 'your character' and I assumed that meant designing the character somewhat.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, I didn't know that. The Patreon description says 'your character' and I assumed that meant designing the character somewhat.
    It seems like some of the people in the tier have variable amounts of interest and involvement, and things are always subject to change. Like the guy who refilled things getting his power toned down a bit.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

So we can have werewolves, vampires and short universe hacking secret agents of the supernatural iluminati who work alongside super humans with complete and total invincibility or gold plated goddeses of destruction with the power to one shot capitol ships alongside aliens and demons and doppelgangers... or people who are all three at once teamed up with martial artists so good they may as well be super human and martial artists who literally just tap into magical energy somehow most of which all have functions so esoteric and arcane that not even the esoteric arcane beings of super advanced alien technology and magical knowhow can work out how they work but this is just a bridge to far?
    Yup. Because all of those things are just well things. They don't require you to be explicitly in a fictional setting to function. That and they have a sort of logic to them. Like why wouldn't HW's power work with heroes? The answer is literally because than she wouldn't be Hench Wench which is retarded.

And then you get into stuff like, what even is a hero anyways? Could she work with vigilantes that refuse to join Archon? How about villains who think they are heroes? How about heroes who just have good PR? How about people who are neither, but commit petty crimes from time to time? Where's the line drawn?

HW doesn't make sense at a glance, and the more you look at her the less sense she makes. The other stuff does fit into the setting, and the characters can (and do) have conversations about how it works.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

So we can have..
    None of your examples, though, require a subjective call.

What constitutes a hero or villain is a subjective call.

Then you get into antiheroes, vigilantes, noble villains, heroes for hire...
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2021-02-01 at 02:44 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    None of your examples, though, require a subjective call.

What constitutes a hero or villain is a subjective call.

Then you get into antiheroes, vigilantes, noble villains, heroes for hire...
    Clearly she this means that she CAN get hired to work for the good guys - just not to be a field agent. All they need to do is subcontract her out to every super-powered individual they identify. If she can duplicate their powers? Onto the high-priority watch list that Obviously A Villain Goes. She's a one-woman Minority Report in a tanktop.

In less surveillance-state style, they could do something similar to vet every new hire and make sure no villanous moles get into the organization, since her powers are semi-omniscient about who to work for.