New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    You mean Bison?
    No .
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Colossus in the Playground

You mean Bison?
    Aheh-hem.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    No .
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Aheh-hem.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
    Wisent wisent Wisent wisent wisent wisent Wisent wisent?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #1444

Wisent wisent Wisent wisent wisent wisent Wisent wisent?
    Exactly.

She sells seashells by the sea shore. If she sells seashells by the sea shore, is she sure the sea shells aren't sore?

Isn't the english language great? And by great I mean a detestable Frankenstein's Monster of other language rules and words cobbled together as though by some sick word-smith?
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-10-08 at 01:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Exactly.

She sells seashells by the sea shore. If she sells seashells by the sea shore, is she sure the sea shells aren't sore?

Isn't the english language great? And by great I mean a detestable Frankenstein's Monster of other language rules and words cobbled together as though by some sick word-smith?
    Aren't all languages weird amalgamations though? Excluding Esperanto they are usually just people doing things and picking up stuff they hear from other people.

Like German deciding to change its sentence structure and grammar rules in the middle aged, or French existing.

6. - Top - End - #1446

Aren't all languages weird amalgamations though? Excluding Esperanto they are usually just people doing things and picking up stuff they hear from other people.

Like German deciding to change its sentence structure and grammar rules in the middle aged, or French existing.
    Okay so in a very real sense yes all language is fake and words are meaningless.

But basically every other language has it's insular rules that they don't break. English just kinda borrows loan words from every language possible, and mangles and mauls them until they fit, and change none of the rules. It's why we call a it moose (singular) and moose (plural) but have goose (singular) and geese (plural) and why we call sheep-meat mutton and pig-meat pork, even though those are just other language words for those animals. We decided that if turned into food it's called by the french name. And that's not even getting into the stuff me and Enderlord just did, which I'm fairly certain is only doable in English, or unless you're VERY persistent and probably some sort of Fey creature.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Okay so in a very real sense yes all language is fake and words are meaningless.

But basically every other language has it's insular rules that they don't break. English just kinda borrows loan words from every language possible, and mangles and mauls them until they fit, and change none of the rules. It's why we call a it moose (singular) and moose (plural) but have goose (singular) and geese (plural) and why we call sheep-meat mutton and pig-meat pork, even though those are just other language words for those animals. We decided that if turned into food it's called by the french name. And that's not even getting into the stuff me and Enderlord just did, which I'm fairly certain is only doable in English, or unless you're VERY persistent and probably some sort of Fey creature.
    What about The Lion Eating Poet in the Stone Den? :)

I see your point, English was going through a major change right when it got codified so it is kind of broken forever. Like making H and K silent at the start of half the words in American English and then calling it good, while England kept going.

Ninjaed forever by Enderlord. Darn you! *shakes fist*
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-10-08 at 02:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1449

What about The Lion Eating Poet in the Stone Den? :)

I see your point, English was going through a major change right when it got codified so it is kind of broken forever. Like making H and K silent at the start of half the words in American English and then calling it good, while England kept going.

Ninjaed forever by Enderlord. Darn you! *shakes fist*
    This actually proves my point since it took a famous poet to do this, whereas these other things are just kinda... existent, noticed by randos exploring the language for kicks.

And for what it's worth I did cover my bases and said it's just HARDER to do in other languages

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Is there a word such as workie? No seriously. I'm curious.

11. - Top - End - #1451

BlackDragon

and why we call sheep-meat mutton and pig-meat pork, even though those are just other language words for those animals. We decided that if turned into food it's called by the french name.
    Well, it's a bit unfair to blame the English for something imposed by the Norman French. (Basically, after the Norman Invasion of 1066, the Anglo-Saxon peasants who were looking after the farm animals continued to call them by their Old English names, whereas their new Norman overlords referred to the meat they were eating by the French names--and that dichotomy stuck).

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground

Well last night I had a breakdown. Just a tiny one, which might have involved ranting at a friends about how my loneliness isn't my fault, how society is unfair, how whenever I'm honest with potential partners about my inexperienced I feel like I'm being judged, that I'm a worthless sad sack, and other delightful topics.

I'm jessy feeling like a failure as a person these days, especially as I'm spending time essentially avoiding meeting new people because I feel like I'm jessy going to end up running away from noise again.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Well last night I had a breakdown. Just a tiny one, which might have involved ranting at a friends about how my loneliness isn't my fault, how society is unfair, how whenever I'm honest with potential partners about my inexperienced I feel like I'm being judged, that I'm a worthless sad sack, and other delightful topics.

I'm jessy feeling like a failure as a person these days, especially as I'm spending time essentially avoiding meeting new people because I feel like I'm jessy going to end up running away from noise again.
    If you aren't seeing a therapist now, I think you should. Depression issues are hard to self-diagnose because you make yourself feel like you should feel bad or just get over it.

On the actual issues you present, society is unfair. It isn't your fault, it is just a fact. The only way it gets better is if you make changes, because it isn't going to.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Ettin in the Playground

Durkoala, I'd like to stop talking about weird linguistic quirks; am I allowed to, or does my starting the conversation mean I must also continue it?
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-10-08 at 03:13 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Titan in the Playground

If you aren't seeing a therapist now, I think you should. Depression issues are hard to self-diagnose because you make yourself feel like you should feel bad or just get over it.
    I'm on the waiting list. Haven't you heard the NHS mantra?

The weird thing is, I didn't know I technically counted as suicidal until recently. I mean, I've occasionally thougt about it, but never to the point of 'how would I do it'. It's not bad enough to make me jump the queue, but it is in my medical history now.

On the actual issues you present, society is unfair. It isn't your fault, it is just a fact. The only way it gets better is if you make changes, because it isn't going to.
    Fun fact: I've been told that I can't have social problems because I mask well, and that having trouble with loud places (such as the pub) isn't anything special. So I think I won't stop kicking society in the hope that people eventually understand that this idsn't me making a fuss about nothing.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Durkoala, I'd like to stop talking about weird linguistic quirks; am I allowed to, or does my starting the conversation mean I must also continue it?
    I would say not at all. 'Tis Random Banter after all.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Is there a word such as workie? No seriously. I'm curious.
    It's spelled Wookiee. Two 'e's.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Wookieeeeee.

I'm rewatching Fullmetal Alchemist (the good one), and it's calming to think that I might one day be able to write a story as good as that.

Show

19. - Top - End - #1459

You completely misunderstood what he was doing when he called me out and he doesn't know you and thus has no reason to care.

------

In more important matters: Anonwizard, you're good people. I wish you luck.

If I can approach even half of what FMA did I'll be happy.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-10-08 at 04:14 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

If I weren't already married...
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

LOL! Good one. No, not wookiee. Workie or Workies with the s in the plural. I was hoping there a word like that exists.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-10-08 at 04:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1462

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    LOL! Good one. No, not wookiee. Workie or Workies with the s in the plural. I was hoping there a word like that exists.
    It's a British slang for unpaid intern.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Thumbs up Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

It's also rich-people slang for everyone else. Like how wizards use "muggles."
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-08 at 04:30 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Really? Imagine there will be British movie called Workie. I'll go and see this movie.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Titan in the Playground

In more important matters: Anonwizard, you're good people. I wish you luck.
    Darn it, somebody's worked out that I'm actually six siblings in a trench coat.

In all seriousness thanks for the compliment

If I can approach even half of what FMA did I'll be happy.
    Considering there are footprints on the moon, we should stop considering the sky as the limit. Have some pride, tell yourself that by the time you die you'll have surpassed it.

Although I guess I should watch the 2003 anime as well...

You're behind the times, the current version is 'slave'. Or 'volunteer' if they're in earshot.

Although on the subject of British films, I still have an incredibly soft spot for Pride and try to get all of my foreign-raised friends to watch it. And it's got the best coming out scene in all of cinema.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-10-08 at 04:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1466

Darn it, somebody's worked out that I'm actually six siblings in a trench coat.

In all seriousness thanks for the compliment

Considering there are footprints on the moon, we should stop considering the sky as the limit. Have some pride, tell yourself that by the time you die you'll have surpassed it.

Although I guess I should watch the 2003 anime as well...

You're behind the times, the current version is 'slave'. Or 'volunteer' if they're in earshot.

Although on the subject of British films, I still have an incredibly soft spot for Pride and try to get all of my foreign-raised friends to watch it. And it's got the best coming out scene in all of cinema.
    That's really good advice that you should take yourself!

Don't watch the FMA original anime it's actually quite bad.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

Don't watch the FMA original anime it's actually quite bad.
    I've tried previously, I have trouble with how the first half is chock full of filler over never made it to the bit people claim is actually decent. The real manga-accurate version is just simply amazing, especially as unlike the 2003 version the rules of Alchemy are consistent (even the way to break them works within the rules), and I feel that it can't live up to the manga's sometimes sage, sometimes goofy, utterly badass despite being a terrible fighter Hohenheim.

One thing I have noticed in this rewatching is that although Al is better at hand to hand combat and alchemy, you can make a good argument for Ed being the more intelligent one and the better scholar (if I'm remembering the manga correctly Al can't even decode Ed's notes, meaning Ed also might be better at cryptography).

Also I plan to aim for the moon, because if I miss I'll end up hurtling through space unlikely to hit anything and likely without having the means to get back.

Show

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Titan in the Playground

I'll put "even half of what FMA does" down as goal #2.

Goal #1 being "finish something".
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #1469

I've tried previously, I have trouble with how the first half is chock full of filler over never made it to the bit people claim is actually decent. The real manga-accurate version is just simply amazing, especially as unlike the 2003 version the rules of Alchemy are consistent (even the way to break them works within the rules), and I feel that it can't live up to the manga's sometimes sage, sometimes goofy, utterly badass despite being a terrible fighter Hohenheim.

One thing I have noticed in this rewatching is that although Al is better at hand to hand combat and alchemy, you can make a good argument for Ed being the more intelligent one and the better scholar (if I'm remembering the manga correctly Al can't even decode Ed's notes, meaning Ed also might be better at cryptography).

Also I plan to aim for the moon, because if I miss I'll end up hurtling through space unlikely to hit anything and likely without having the means to get back.
    Trust me there is nothing of value past the canon stuff the original FMA anime covers. There's a scene where
    Spoiler
    Show
    a bad guy throws a child into the air and shoots it to create a portal to real world ass WW2 Germany.

"Um, I appear to have lost my house" is the best line. Anyway yeah you can absolutely make someone like Hohenheim! He's actually a pretty simple character, but to write someone like him you have to take the risk. And I say take it! Which reminds me, do you want to read my manuscript? It might be fun.

That sounds like a win to me.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If I weren't already married...
    ...then that would incentivise you to go out and find somebody to keep yourself from berating me over stealing your shtick?
    Flattered, though.

Edit: Oh, looks like it's new thread time already? Someone should make one. I can't, unless my name change means I've not made one yet.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-10-08 at 05:21 PM.