New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Epic Goose Chase IC [High OP group]

The Map
    You may talk to the local authorities and witnesses who are still present. State all methods of searching you use and I will reveal things on the map.

The information I gave pre-game is as follows:
    - An small being in magic full plate ran before the explosion happened.
    - The building has religious significance to all of the gods
    - None of the level 10-15 police force has found tracks or a sign of what caused the explosion
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2014-03-15 at 11:01 PM.
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Epic Goose Chase IC [High OP group]

Sandrose gets to work, gingerly picking through the remains of the building.
    Questioning the witnesses was something she could leave to the others, her expertise would be better used examining the wreckage.

Knowledge Engineering (d20+57)[61] to try and determine where the explosive was that damaged the cathedral based on the debris.(synergy bonus from craft architecture?) Search (d20+60)[64] to look for any remnants of the explosive device, also keeping an eye out for anything that seems out of place in the wreckage.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Clen flies about, following the people with good searching skills. He hums along the way, keeping it up even as they are finished, allowing those on his side to see beyond the veil.

Spoiler
    Show
    Revealing Melody: Non-concentration Virtuoso Perfoemance. Team True Seeing for as long as I perform.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

4. - Top - End - #4

Map updated 2 new clues discovered.
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jarn simply stands still a moment, allowing his senses to wander, his instincts to speak to him. He lifts his head, sniffing at the air, then takes a moment to focus his vision and simply looks around himself. This many people on the scene will muddy scents, confuse tracks, he murmurs to himself. Can't be helped, I suppose.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are there any unusual scents in the area? Or anything worth noting in the Ethereal Plane?
    More specifically I'm looking into the Ethereal Plane with my continuous True Seeing effect and using my scent ability to help inform my other senses.
    Knowledge History - (1d20+10)[18] to see if I've heard of anything similar to this having happened in the past and a quick Spellcraft - (1d20+15)[18] to see if the explosion was magical in nature. And why not a Profession Herbalist - (1d20+17)[20] check to see if maybe I can identify what caused the explosion of it wasn't magical. (Maybe it smells like a certain mix of plant matter that might be explosive? Who knows.) And finally a simple Search check - (1d20+16)[30] in relation to my looking into the Ethereal Plane.
    Last edited by Ishcumbeebeeda; 2014-03-15 at 11:49 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Sharsolis looks at the blood, as an idea dawns on him.

He asks the local guardsmen if the blood was from an injured local, to their knowledge.

If the don't know, or confirm that it is not, the below happens.

"This may be a waste if they came prepared, but It's worth a shot." He says. He then begins muttering under his breath, repeating "Discern location Discern location Discern location -This will take a while - Discern location Discern location Discern location..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Most likely won't work, but if it does it will give us what town he fled to. It'll take an 8th level spell though...

And if it is a victim, Jarn should be able to find where they dragged themselves.
    Last edited by alanek2002; 2014-03-16 at 12:29 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

After having ruminated for a bit Jarn carefully makes his way to the minuscule man near the pool of blood. With a casual stretch and a sinuous motion he dips a claw into the blood, without stooping or bending in the slightest, and bringing a drop to his face, takes a deep inhalation through his nose, fixing the scent in his memory. Finally he dips the claw in his mouth, taking a small taste.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Knowledge Nature - (1d20+10)[24]
    Knowledge Religion - (1d20+10)[22]
    Knowledge The Planes - (1d20+11)[28]
    Knowledge Arcana - (1d20+11)[13]
    Any/All to identify the type of creature who "donated" the blood based on scent and flavor.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Sardonyx eyes the scene, "I have Discern Location available. I will first try to understand what happened here."

Spoiler
    Show

Survival: (1d20+50)[67] to reconstruct the scene and gain any information about those present that is available.

Knowledge (Religion) (1d20+38)[53]
    Knowledge (The Planes) (1d20+31)[48] for information about who might have motive, and anything present that might narrow that down.

Search (1d20+11)[22] for other clues

Diplomacy (1d20+45)[57] and Gather information (1d20+29)[40] for interviewing witnesses.

Pending the outcome of all that, Sardonyx will dig into his divination grab bag

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by alanek2002 View Post
    Sharsolis looks at the blood, as an idea dawns on him.

He asks the local guardsmen if the blood was from an injured local, to their knowledge.

If the don't know, or confirm that it is not, the below happens.

"This may be a waste if they came prepared, but It's worth a shot." He says. He then begins muttering under his breath, repeating "Discern location Discern location Discern location -This will take a while - Discern location Discern location Discern location..."
    The guards have seen nobody injured leave the ruin, and point out that the explosion would not leave wet blood when all of the other victims have been incinerated.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most likely won't work, but if it does it will give us what town he fled to. It'll take an 8th level spell though...

And if it is a victim, Jarn should be able to find where they dragged themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishcumbeebeeda View Post
    After having ruminated for a bit Jarn carefully makes his way to the minuscule man near the pool of blood. With a casual stretch and a sinuous motion he dips a claw into the blood, without stooping or bending in the slightest, and bringing a drop to his face, takes a deep inhalation through his nose, fixing the scent in his memory. Finally he dips the claw in his mouth, taking a small taste.

Show

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    Any/All to identify the type of creature who "donated" the blood based on scent and flavor.
    Your knowledge religion tells you that a giant is one of the head clergy members of this cathedral.

2 more bits of information have been added to the map.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Night View Post
    Sardonyx eyes the scene, "I have Discern Location available. I will first try to understand what happened here."

Spoiler
    Show

Survival: [roll0] to reconstruct the scene and gain any information about those present that is available.

Knowledge (Religion) [roll1]
    Knowledge (The Planes) [roll2] for information about who might have motive, and anything present that might narrow that down.

Search [roll3] for other clues

Diplomacy [roll4] and Gather information [roll5] for interviewing witnesses.

Pending the outcome of all that, Sardonyx will dig into his divination grab bag

The time of the event is an hour before a service was being held. People with a motive would include atheists and jealous people from other nations. Witnesses describe the same person you have heard of and the explosion sounding very loud, but ordinary. and info was added to the map.
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2014-03-16 at 02:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Well, I'm fairly certain the blood came from a giant of some kind, at any rate, the massive troll rumbles to the general assembly of detectives and onlookers. So far as I can tell the explosion was of a magical nature, if that helps anyone. Also, someone was using illusion magic in this area recently, so for all we know the fleeing suspect could have been completely different from the description, or even fictional. he continues. Moving away from the blood pool and in the general direction of the local authorities and witnesses he raises his voice to address the group as one. I also seem to recall that one of the primary Clergy here was of giant decent, yes? Has anyone seen this individual since the explosion? Has anyone been dispatched to ascertain the location and see to the protection of the ranking Clergy? Assuming they weren't incinerated, of course. They may have been the target, after all.
    Last edited by Ishcumbeebeeda; 2014-03-16 at 02:49 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

This building was originally designed for size huge or smaller creatures and the giant (Archbishop Clarance the Twice Crowned a cloud giant who is known for wisely spending excess donations on those who needed them most) or anything large enough to conceal him was not seen leaving.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Amateurs. Lao muttered under his breath. The uncarnate enhanced his senses, before he methodically started to scan the room. For minutes in a row Lao would just stand there, staring into nothing. Could someone remove this? Loa pointed at the rubble in front of the treasure room.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    enlarged touchsight (60ft)
    Enlarged psychometry: taking the full 10 minutes per 20 ft area
    Listen (1d20+62)[68]
    Spot (1d20+62)[72]
    Search (1d20+53)[57]
    Survival (1d20+50)[63]
    Psicraft (1d20+65)[67] to identify the spell being used
    Spellcraft (1d20+55)[72] to identify the spell being used
    Knowledge roll to connect the clues already found and the one he finds to what Lao knows.
    Knowledge arcana (1d20+65)[74]
    Knowledge dungeoneering (1d20+65)[82]
    Knowledge psionics (1d20+65)[83]
    Knowledge nature (1d20+67)[86]
    Knowledge planes (1d20+65)[66]
    Knowledge religion (1d20+65)[78]
    Knowledge architecture (1d20+65)[77]
    Knowledge history(1d20+65)[75]
    Knowledge local (1d20+65)[77]
    If he has the time, Lao will do a hypercognition with a 110% chance of succes. Duration in hours (1d4)[2]

13. - Top - End - #13

More info added to map. Other then the Archbishop their was nobody of equal or higher religious power reported being there and none of the lower ranking clergy could have feasibly survived a blast that took out the building. The guards have already informed the Omniprelate (the one with more authority then the Archbishops)
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2014-03-16 at 05:08 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Battlechaser View Post
    Could someone remove this? Loa pointed at the rubble in front of the treasure room.
    I believe I can be of assistance, Jarn mutters as he moves to shift the rubble and clear the indicated area.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it matters my push/drag is 896,000lbs.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Once those trained far better in discovery than he have gone around to the others, asking for any witnesses and what they saw, heard, or felt. He makes sure to keep up his humming, knowing an illusionist could appear anywhere.

Spoiler
    Show
    That reminds me! I do have relevant skills!
    Retain Revealing Melody
    Diplomacy (1d20+58)[15](73) and Gather Information (1d20+53)[14](67) for re-interviewing the witnesses, apologizing for the inconvenience but explaining the necessity of thoroughness. Then asks them what they saw heard and felt around the crime, rather than just, "what happened." I'm looking for evidence to derive effects.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

16. - Top - End - #16

Fartales Windspeed silently flies up into the air, and starts scanning the area for any lingering presence of evil.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fly up 60 Feet (Takes a full round)
    Detect Evil straight down
    Last edited by smasher0404; 2014-03-16 at 06:25 AM.
    ARRRRGH, I'm a pirate, ninjas are no match for me, Yargh!
    Also this awesome avatar was done by KillItWithFire

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Sardonyx attempts a divination spell to locate any trace of the attacker.

Spoiler
    Show
    He is starting with the actual spell Divination. If he can locate a sliver of claw or something they dropped or a discarded bit of spell component or something, he can work from there.

Also, he has the scent special ability, so any interesting or unusual smells that are present he would also be looking for (Probably as part of that survival check, along with all the other trackery things.)

18. - Top - End - #18

A few things were added a while ago and I forgot to mention it, plus their is a faint smell of goblins at points 1&2.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Could someone remove this? Loa pointed at the rubble in front of the treasure room.
    I got ya.
    Spoiler: Str. Roll
    Show

(1d20+32)[34]
    If this doesn't help, I smash it with my hammer to loosen it, dealing:
    (26d6+77)[158] damage.
    Also, if it matters:
    Light load:954368
    Medium load:1908736
    Max Load/above head:2867200
    Off ground:5734400
    Push/drag:14336000

EDIT: Damn, that STR roll sucked.
    Last edited by Mousedigits; 2014-03-16 at 11:38 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoops, forgot full attack. Lemme roll more damage to the rocks :D
    Show

(26d6+77)[169]
    (26d6+77)[168]
    (26d6+77)[176]
    (2d6+77)[84]
    All but the last one (gore) are bludgeoning, if it matters.

21. - Top - End - #21

Divination: "Drinks and congratulatory money are in his hands he fights to keep it from the ones who have planed."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Earon was lounging at his apartment, drinking his kaf and reading through some papers regarding an archeological site found near Cithus that held some tantalizing information regarding elven communities that looked to be at least 10,000 years old when he heard the knock at his door. When opened, Tengana Alliastron, a local constabul, burst in and told him of the news of the attack and asked him to come. Changing quickly into his travelling clothes and grabbing his equipment, he jumped on Tengana's carpet as he was told what little details were known on their short trip there.
    Arriving to the confusion and not seeing anyone in charge, he made a slight face at Tengana as he went looking about the scene to see if he could garner any new clues.
    After listening to the witnesses being reinterviewed by the pixie, interjecting a few questions of his own and asking each several of the same questions coached a certain way so as to gain any last bit of information that may be hidden, he looks at the bloody stain, breathing in deeply of the scent. Looking at the mark left on the wall from the claws, he pulls out a magnifying glass to see if there are any fragments left from the claw that may be imbedded in the wall.
    Spoiler
    Show

Aiding in diplomacy and gather info with Clen, along with some sense motive
    Diplo
    (1d20+46)[6](52)
    Gather Info
    (1d20+37)[9](46)
    Sense Motive
    (1d20+30)[7](37)

Search to find any remnants of the claw that slashed into the wall. Using 1 Inspiration Point to use Cunning Knowledge.
    (1d20+47)[6](53)

23. - Top - End - #23

It's a long shot, but the reason there could be no remains of a claw left could mean that it was a spell or type of energy in a claw shape or the area was dusted after the giant was killed, to avoid people finding out about it.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thank you. Lao neared the door and started to study it.

Spoiler
    Show
    continuing psychometry, true seeing, touchsight
    Spot (1d20+62)[68]
    Search (1d20+53)[73]

25. - Top - End - #25

In the wreckage when it is removed you see a small hill of coins and a few artifacts from all of the deities the cathedral is dedicated to.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Sardonyx attempts Discern Location targeted on the goblin whose scent he has detected.

27. - Top - End - #27

You can now find his geographic location on a map, but his specific location is not relieved.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Going up to some of the officers, he asks.
    "So, the small individual, he ran away before or after the explosion? Also, I don't see any bodies about. Were the removed or were they missing? It would seem an explosion of this magnitude would have killed any bystanders, but I don't see remains."
    Looking at everyone he says loudly "Everyone, Everyone helping out with the investigation, gather round." Once a majority have gathered, he continues "It seems we are thin on clues or evidence. There is some blood over there. Do we have any diviners with us? Or, anyone else who has such talents? Perhaps we can discern where the body or bodies went. Anyone have any other insights they wish to include with the group? Time is growing long and the trail is growing colder by the moment people."

29. - Top - End - #29

"I'm afraid everyone inside was incinerated whole their are some bodies out back who were likely receiving donations and were crushed by rocks, but nobody else was near enough to be crushed."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

'Do we know they were incinerated, or is that just a guess? We may have suspects or still living victims if we don't know for sure. I have performed some investigation, and I have picked up the scent of goblins inside. I have localized the goblin in question to a geographic area with divination.'

Sardonyx described everything he has discovered so far,'So, I can perform further divinations, given suitable targets. Time is, as you mentioned, of the essence. Our quarry widens their lead, but we must make sure it is the correct trail we follow, as much as we can be sure.'
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2014-03-19 at 01:05 AM.