New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Power Words

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Power Words

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterKun View Post
    I like that idea. The one for Power Word Kill might be Hakai.
    Might as well go for broke and call it "Jusatsu no Kotodama".

(Or the official Chikara no Kotoba: Shi, but that sounds kinda lame.)

Edit: Fixed typo.
    Last edited by NNescio; 2019-09-20 at 02:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I wonder if the command spell is a version of this. It is language dependant though. A greater version that wasn’t would be interesting.

Warlocks can shatter objects with a word of dark speech.
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2019-09-15 at 10:22 AM.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    I wonder if the command spell is a version of this. It is language dependant though. A greater version that wasn’t would be interesting.
    You might have missed my earlier post:

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    They are fragments of Truespeak. ToM 191:

LESSER TRUENAME MAGIC

"Truename magic already exists in a limited form in every D&D campaign; it appears in the form of the command and power word spells. These spells originate from the power of truenaming, using a single word to wreak mighty magical effects. Though powerful, they are merely spells and lack the reusability and flexibility real truename magic."

Putting aside the irony of saying that "mere spells" can't stand up to truenaming, in-universe that's the fluff explanation.
    Of course, that does seem to fly in the face of Command being language-dependent; if it was truly based on Truespeak, the target's ability to comprehend shouldn't matter. (Though you could also argue that it is, and therefore the descriptor, while present, does nothing.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    For a fantasy setting, I really like the idea of "ur language", the words of creation, the language the gods used to bring the universe into existence -- I have that in one of my settings. For those who've mastered the language, speaking the words with intent has effect, but how much effect depends on how much of the power you can handle without it "leaking" and cooking you from the inside out. Mistakes can be lethal, in the "we heard a loud 'CRACK' like thunder from his study, but all we found was a black scorch mark centered here, and charring on the furniture and books" sort of way.

When one really intends to cause another's death, and speaks the word in that language aloud and directed at the target of one's enmity, with utter perfection, they might actually die -- because it's the word that the gods would speak to make a mortal die and carries that power with it.

Also, because it's the ur language, any being that can understand any language can understand it when spoken, at a fundamental level that's as much psychic as it is audible -- as long as they're of the solar deities' creation or descended therefrom. (Which becomes a plot point in the fiction, as there's a character who is not descended from creation, and all she hears when someone's speaking it is meaningless random babble -- she needs a translator for the words that should never need translating.)
    The problem is that D&D has at least 3 of these languages: The Words of Creation, the Dark Speech, and Truespeak
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

i always considered that the word of power for paralysis was "POLIO!!!"

my dm's, after chuckling briefly, always shot me down.

don't even get me started on the other ones. they're just as cheesy and off-color.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    I always pictured it as the caster screaming "KILL!!!!" (or whatever spell (s)he is casting) at the top of their lungs.
    This was always my headcanon
    That's not what it is?

I has just assumed it was the normal word with... ill-defined magical preparation giving it powerful effects. I didn't think there was anything special about them other than the fact they were a set of spells that had short verbal (and mental) activation requirements. Cleanly designed for easy use.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    The problem is that D&D has at least 3 of these languages: The Words of Creation, the Dark Speech, and Truespeak
    Because it's not enough for D&D to have the kitchen sink, it has to have multiple kitchens' worth of stuff.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-09-16 at 08:16 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    I always pictured it as the caster screaming "KILL!!!!" (or whatever spell (s)he is casting) at the top of their lungs.
    I've always imagined it along this lines too; pointing at the target [or for the dramatic, a finger gun]
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2019-09-15 at 10:59 PM.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Power Word Kill could also be "Then perish."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    'Words of Creation' and 'Truespeak' are basically the same thing, just Truespeech is approaching the idea without the assumption that the Words of Creation are only associated with Good (because it's dumb that the Lawful, Chaotic, Evil, and Neutral powers of the universe don't also have access to the power of creation/primal access codes/etc.) Dark Speech is explicitly a corruption of the Words of Creation, IIRC - it's the Vile Darkness 'evil opposite' approach to the concept.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

I'd tell you, but you wouldn't remember them afterwards. Also, your ears would be bleeding.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Honestly I just figured it was a multi-generational decedent from Gynax ripping off some more of Tolkien who had "the song of creation" as a motif...and so looked up legends about song of creation at the library and thought "good, I could make a couple of these ideas into spells...maybe even one of the big 6th level ones, need more of those classical themed" without really getting into the nitty gritty of comparative mythology and the philosophy/theology of linguistics ... and since then it has been a bunch of gamers desperately trying to make a bunch of beer sodden/distracted/improvised choices into a logically coherent idea after the fact.

but that may just be my thoughts. After the tourney style games of players DM's hopping with their characters had long faded into something else show just how much the game got away from its original runs I don't figure anything really HAS an answer but more that such questions have a bunch of good answers and there is no need to limit yourself to just one....(okay one per campaign or campaign world (which doesn't stop you running 12 versions of Greyhawk all basically identical except for the PC's and whatever the villains/NPC's of that campaign are up to))

On a funnier note...I did see one player who claimed that Powerword Kill was "Achoo" said in a very nasal fashion...he swore he sneeze killed people.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2019-09-16 at 03:38 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

As far as I can remember, The Silmarillion was the first time we read about Tolkien's idea of the music of creation. PWK goes back all the way to 1st edition D&D, which came out a few years before.
    Last edited by oudeis; 2019-09-16 at 04:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

People need to watch Dune, and the weirding words. NB these were an addition made by David Lynch and are not in the Original Frank Herbert books.
    Muad’dib
    Cha-aksa
    Kaa,ja

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic View Post
    The take in Fantasy Craft fits neatly with this idea; the Power Word spells in that game are symmetrical, all reading "you and a character of your choice" then having some no-save irrefutable effect. Power Word Kill requires some setup to use safely, as it reads "You and a special character of your choice each suffer enough damage to kill them, even if they can’t hear you."
    This would be an interesting, if potentially OP, direction to take the power words in. Anybody who knows them can "cast" them, but suffers the full effect themselves without being able to protect themselves through sufficient HP. The magical preparation for power words would be a protective charm against the effects of a given word. (Which could then also be spent to protect yourself from someone else's casting.)

Potentially very broken, since exchanging your action for a boss monster's reliably with PW:Stun can be a very attractive tradeoff, as can removing a big baddie with PW:Kill if you can expect a revivify to come soon. But interesting flavor.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    That's not what it is?

I has just assumed it was the normal word with... ill-defined magical preparation giving it powerful effects. I didn't think there was anything special about them other than the fact they were a set of spells that had short verbal (and mental) activation requirements. Cleanly designed for easy use.
    There's quite clearly the intention of more going on. In my view this is because the word requires incredibly specific tones and if any are out by as much as a hundredth of a hertz it doesn't work. 90% of the spell is actually feedback loops and checks to ensure everything goes correctly.

That is, of course, until we get to Silent Power Word X from 3.X. Which is clearly a stage whisper.

Because it's not enough for D&D to have the kitchen sink, it has to have multiple kitchens' worth of stuff.
    I've been considering a setting which had a symbol sey of creation, but instead I'm working on one where 'multiple languages of creation' is a thing. Essentially there's the Language of the Gods, which is what the world was programmed increated with, and then in the Time of Legends some of the mortals patched in a bunch of 'languages of powet', which cam be used to create effects. Essentially I'm running with a 'magic as programming' analogy, where the world is the operating system written in the LotG, while spells are cast using a language the universe interprets to do additional things. I'm still working it all out, but one of the miscasts is 'the universe does what you say, not what you want'.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oudeis View Post
    As far as I can remember, The Silmarillion was the first time we read about Tolkien's idea of the music of creation. PWK goes back all the way to 1st edition D&D, which came out a few years before.
    Was Earthsea the first series of novels to truly popularize "True Names?" They were definitely a staple of mythology for ages prior (Rumpelstiltskin comes to mind), but I'm trying to think of the first mainstream modern take on the concept that D&D might have drawn from most directly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

I've been considering a setting which had a symbol sey of creation, but instead I'm working on one where 'multiple languages of creation' is a thing. Essentially there's the Language of the Gods, which is what the world was programmed in created with, and then in the Time of Legends some of the mortals patched in a bunch of 'languages of powet', which cam be used to create effects. Essentially I'm running with a 'magic as programming' analogy, where the world is the operating system written in the LotG, while spells are cast using a language the universe interprets to do additional things. I'm still working it all out, but one of the miscasts is 'the universe does what you say, not what you want'.
    So... spinning an idea off that...

Universe is actually running the equivalent of machine code. If you have a specific creator or creator deities, they used this.

The highest-order deities (other than the creators) are effectively using assembly language.

Spells are written in various high-level languages, allowing for multiple "traditions" or "schools" in the same setting.

Freaking scary "eldritch" entities are also able to work in or "hack" the "machine code", making them a real threat to the deities despite not having the raw power that the deities do.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Universe is actually running the equivalent of machine code. If you have a specific creator or creator deities, they used this.

The highest-order deities (other than the creators) are effectively using assembly language.

Spells are written in various high-level languages, allowing for multiple "traditions" or "schools" in the same setting.

Freaking scary "eldritch" entities are also able to work in or "hack" the "machine code", making them a real threat to the deities despite not having the raw power that the deities do.
    What about microcode and RISC code? And hardware description languages?
    Last edited by NNescio; 2019-09-17 at 10:48 AM.
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NNescio View Post
    What about microcode and RISC code? And hardware description languages?
    Tangent...

Spoiler
    Show

For purposes of this idea, include microcode in "machine language" -- it's the underlying stuff that even most of the deities don't have access to.

RISC is more a specific type of hardware and instruction set architecture than a level of programming language layer/level.

Hardware description language would be orthogonal to the layers I laid out.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Tangent...

Spoiler
    Show

For purposes of this idea, include microcode in "machine language" -- it's the underlying stuff that even most of the deities don't have access to.

RISC is more a specific type of hardware and instruction set architecture than a level of programming language layer/level.

Hardware description language would be orthogonal to the layers I laid out.

I kinda want to see more about this idea, but think it might be a thread of its own.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Power Word Kill could also be "Then perish."
    Like this?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post

New thread started:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ing&p=24153290

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NNescio View Post
    Might as well go for broke and call it "Jusatsu no Kotowaza".

(Or the official Chikara no Kotoba: Shi, but that sounds kinda lame.)
    onamae wa...shindeiru
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    onamae wa...shindeiru
    That fits Quivering Palm more though.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    People need to watch Dune, and the weirding words. NB these were an addition made by David Lynch and are not in the Original Frank Herbert books.
    Muad’dib
    Cha-aksa
    Kaa,ja
    No you need to watch Monty Python And The Holy Grail, and the sacred words...

Ne
    Peng
    Nee-Wom
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)