New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Avoiding the effects of Violet Rain (3.5)

So is there a way to avoid the effects of Violet Rain? What I'm thinking is possibly an Acorn of far travel located in some place else outside the area of the Violet Rain could work, what do you guys think, would it work or not? Also how else could you avoid the effects of it some other way?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Avoiding the effects of Violet Rain (3.5)

An umbrella?

It's actually not that tough as it's not a spread, so cover from the point of origin works. That means that unless they're flying, they're not going to get anywhere near the area of the spell, and if they are flying, see above.

Edit: i'm thinking of the evil weather spell. But... uh... cover still seems to work for the weather.
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2017-02-11 at 09:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

You will never defeat sorcerer king!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goladar View Post
    How are you so sure?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    How are you so sure?
    Because Sorcerer King is really Sorcerer/Marshal/UPD King?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Because Sorcerer King is really Sorcerer/Marshal/UPD King?
    Don't poke the bear tarrasque with a stick. It rampages enough without being incited to do so.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Libro View Post
    Don't poke the bear tarrasque with a stick. It rampages enough without being incited to do so.
    There's a tarasque here?

8. - Top - End - #8

Metaphorically speaking, yes. It won't die and stay dead, despite the number of deific interventions that have sought to kill the beast thus far...

It could be quite the tale, but it is full of bad grammar and broken rules and doesn't belong here. I'd suggest letting it lie and paying it no mind when it resurfaces now and then.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm quite certain that my incantations wont raise it. Besides, Wish can kill the Tarrasque and it hasn't worked yet. So it's probably not a Tarrasque.

10. - Top - End - #10

Hmmm, that's true...

Maybe we should give someone a call to check that Rovagug didn't get out.

EDIT: @ Goladar: I'm going to stop here before I risk derailing the thread too much. Do I have permission to put our exchange in my extended signature?
    Last edited by Grand Arbiter; 2017-02-12 at 12:41 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Well, assuming we're talking about the Evil Weather effect, the simply solution is to not use divine spells. Alternative Spell Source to turn everything arcane should work.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Well, assuming we're talking about the Evil Weather effect, the simply solution is to not use divine spells. Alternative Spell Source to turn everything arcane should work.
    Like a boss!

Is Dragon allowed in many games? Where would I find old copies?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    If dragon magazine isn't allowed, Southern Magician does the same for one spell per two levels. It's not much, but it's enough to win a battle and teleport away afterwards.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balaur Seeker View Post
    It dont work. Violet Rain,Divine Spellcasters have no acess to spells.
    Arcane or Divine Source, Divine Spellcasters can't cast spells.

Also, Alternative Spell Source they cant use Divine Metamagic.
    Wait..... what? Divine spellcasters can't cast spells?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Imagine how many problems you can solve, how many ways you can help your friends, when not constrained by paltry morality! Imagine how much good you can achieve when you're willing to go to any length to achieve it! Imagine the monsters you can slay when you are the greatest monster of them all!
    Company Website: http://lernaeanstudio.com
    PF 3pp Subreddit I Mod: r/Pathfinder3pp

15. - Top - End - #15

Divine Spellcasters have no acess to spells.

Violet Rain Effect.
    Oh, okay. So wouldn't just alternate source spell work? I thought violet rain did something different.
    Imagine how many problems you can solve, how many ways you can help your friends, when not constrained by paltry morality! Imagine how much good you can achieve when you're willing to go to any length to achieve it! Imagine the monsters you can slay when you are the greatest monster of them all!

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfCain View Post
    Oh, okay. So wouldn't just alternate source spell work? I thought violet rain did something different.
    Simply, Divine Spellcaster have no acess to spells. Alternative Source spell is useless here.

17. - Top - End - #17

Simply, Divine Spellcaster have no acess to spells. Alternative Source spell is useless here.
    Okay, thanks. I should have checked the book fore posting.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfCain View Post
    Okay, thanks. I should have checked the book fore posting.
    Ok!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok!
    You seem, familiar....

Presumably, since it says nothing about divine/arcane casters, you would still be able to cast spells.
    Last edited by Goladar; 2017-02-12 at 08:37 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Violet Rain and Evil Weather are 3.0, and hence explicitly subject to DM revision in a 3.5 game.

Evil Weather only applies to the caster by RAW since it's Range: Personal and area is constrained by range. If you ignore this rule, it's unclear to me that line of effect blockers apply since it's not explicitly a burst or emanation effect. Talk to the DM. The acorn of far travel does not work, because you are still _there_ even if you also count as being somewhere else.

Wrt Violet Rain, using Alternate Source Spell is subject to DM adjudication because it's unclear weather "access" applies to memorization, casting, or both. In any case, all Alternate Source Spells precast by a divine spellcaster remain in effect.

Evil Weather[Violet Rain] is subject to suppression by Antimagic Field and Otiluke's Suppressing Field[Conjuration or Evil].

Another approach is to simply be on a coterminous plane.

Since it's a corrupt spell, Sorcerer's explicitly can't cast it and the 1 hour casting time makes it rather impractical in combat.

"Natural" Violet Rain may be somewhat harder to avoid because it is not explicitly magical.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrowhale View Post

Wrt Violet Rain, using Alternate Source Spell is subject to DM adjudication because it's unclear weather "access" applies to memorization, casting, or both. In any case, all Alternate Source Spells precast by a divine spellcaster remain in effect.

Evil Weather[Violet Rain] is subject to suppression by Antimagic Field and Otiluke's Suppressing Field[Conjuration or Evil].

Another approach is to simply be on a coterminous plane.

Since it's a corrupt spell, Sorcerer's explicitly can't cast it and the 1 hour casting time makes it rather impractical in combat.

"Natural" Violet Rain may be somewhat harder to avoid because it is not explicitly magical.
    1) Divine Spellcasters have no acess to spells. It's simply, no spells. No DM Interpretation.
    2) Otiluke's supressing field dont block Evil Weather, Enemie use Evil Component to +10 CL, Also, No teleport? No Consumptive Field? Or Conjuration spells?
    3) Enemie Otiluke's Supressing Field supress your Antimagic Field. Also, Mage Disjuntion or Disjoin Spell to break the antimagic field
    3) Transdimentional Evil Weather
    4) Sorcerer can use Corrupt Spells with Corrupt Arcana feat or Arcane Preparation feat
    5) Craft Contingency Spell: Evil Weather, Supernatural Wish or Supernatural Alamanther's Return bypass 1 hours casting
    6) Alternative Source Spell, You cant use Divine Metamagic.
    Last edited by Balaur Seeker; 2017-02-12 at 12:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

1) Divine Spellcasters have no acess to spells. It's simply, no spells. No DM Interpretation.
    2) Otiluke's supressing field dont block Evil Weather, Enemie use Evil Component to +10 CL, Also, No teleport? No Consumptive Field? Or Conjuration spells?
    3) Enemie Otiluke's Supressing Field supress your Antimagic Field. Also, Mage Disjuntion or Disjoin Spell to break the antimagic field
    3) Transdimentional Evil Weather
    4) Sorcerer can use Corrupt Spells with Corrupt Arcana feat or Arcane Preparation feat
    5) Craft Contingency Spell: Evil Weather, Supernatural Wish or Supernatural Alamanther's Return bypass 1 hours casting
    It's a sentence that brings up many questions. Your reading of it is not the only acceptable one. That's why DMs are needed.
    Last edited by Goladar; 2017-02-12 at 12:22 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Daaaang, it's worse than that.

If you have Southern Magician or Alternative Spell Source, it could be argued that you also lose spellcasting, even if you were originally (and primarily) an Arcane spellcaster.

24. - Top - End - #24

It's a sentence that brings up many questions. Your reading of it is not the only acceptable one. That's why DMs are needed.
    No acess to spells. It's no acess to spells. So simply. LOL
    With no acess to spells, also, can't cast spells.

25. - Top - End - #25

PirateGuy

Violet rain takes away a divine casters ability to cast. But if he uses alternative source, doesnt that make him an arcane caster and therefor immune to the rain?
    Also why wouldnt otiluke's field supress the rain?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Daaaang, it's worse than that.

If you have Southern Magician or Alternative Spell Source, it could be argued that you also lose spellcasting, even if you were originally (and primarily) an Arcane spellcaster.
    Yes, they also lose Alternative Spell Source and Southern Magician. They cant qualify for it. While under Evil Weather effect.
    Last edited by Balaur Seeker; 2017-02-12 at 12:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    Violet rain takes away a divine casters ability to cast. But if he uses alternative source, doesnt that make him an arcane caster and therefor immune to the rain?
    They are not mutually exclusive: you can be a divine caster and an arcane caster. Alternative Source just makes a spell arcane, it doesn't make you not a divine caster.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, they also lose Alternative Spell Source and Southern Magician. They cant qualify for it. While Evil Weather effect.
    No, I mean they are arguable Divine casters by virtue of having that feat, therefore they would lose all spellcasting for the duration.

Another unexpected result: a Mystic Theurge would also lose all spellcasting for the duration.

29. - Top - End - #29

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    They are not mutually exclusive: you can be a divine caster and an arcane caster. Alternative Source just makes a spell arcane, it doesn't make you not a divine caster.
    wait so because of the way the rain is worded, even a cleric 1/wizard x would lose ALL spellcasting in the rain, but a wizard x would not? that is so weird...
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    Violet rain takes away a divine casters ability to cast. But if he uses alternative source, doesnt that make him an arcane caster and therefor immune to the rain
    No, you are always divine spellcaster. Only your spells are affected.