New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy X d20 (All Races, All Classes, All Monsters, Blitzball, & MORE!)

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Damn, you're right. Okay, over the next few days, I'll be updating some of the monsters mentioned above, so as to be more true to D20 monster creation guidelines. Although some monsters will remain the same, but with explanations for why they go against expectations. All of the monsters were designed to include only the attacks/abilities that they have in the original game. But I do realize that some creature need more/different attacks/abilities if they are going to fit their Challenge Ratings.

Thanks for the catch, Debby. I just finished working up the Arena monsters, so I now have time for such thorough editing. I also wish to repeat here that I will NEVER do this many monsters for a single project again. Never, ever, EVAR.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy X d20 (All Races, All Classes, All Monsters, Blitzball, & MORE!)

Mimic #4
    Spoiler
    Show

Large Aberration (Fiend)
    Hit Dice: 15d8+105 (172HP)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: 30’ (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 21 (-1 size, +5 Dex, +7 natural); touch 14; flat-footed 16
    Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+22
    Attack: Slam +21 melee (1d8+11)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +21 melee (1d8+11)
    Space/Reach: 10’/10’
    Special Attacks: N/A
    Special Qualities: Aberration traits, Energy Resistance, Mimic Shape
    Saves: Fort +12, Ref +10, Will +13
    Abilities: Str 32 (+11), Dex 20 (+5), Con 25 (+7), Int 12 (+1), Wis 18 (+4), Cha 15 (+2)
    Skills: Bluff +6, Climb +15, Disguise +14, Hide +11, Intimidate +7, Listen +8, Move Silently +12, Spot +11, Survival +7
    Feats: Dodge, Improved Bullrush, Mighty Blow, Mobility, Power Attack, Spring Attack
    Environment: underground (Omega Ruins)
    Organization: party (1 with another Fiend)
    Challenge Rating: 15
    Treasure: standard
    Normal/Rare Steal: N/A/N/A
    Alignment: always Chaotic Evil
    Advancement: N/A
    Level Adjustment: N/A
    Magic Pool: 10MP
    Magic Pool: 30d6+120 (225MP)

Energy Resistance (Su): the creature only takes 50% damage from cold, electricity, fire, & water (force) energy types

Mimic Shape (Ex): a Mimic can assume the general shape of any object that fills roughly 1,000 cubic feet (10’×10’×10’), such as a massive boulder, a wagon, or a vault; the creature can substantially alter its size by expanding or contracting its internal mass (this does not alter its statistics), allowing it to appear as small as a Medium-sized object (examples: chest, bed, corpse) or as large as a Huge-sized object (examples: house, tree, pond); anyone who examines the Mimic closely (within 5’) can detect the ruse with a successful Spot check opposed by the Mimic’s Disguise check + 10 (of course, by this time it is generally far too late); changing to a different shape is a free action, & so it does not provoke attacks of opportunity
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-09-07 at 11:56 PM. Reason: fixed full attack

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

I also wish to repeat here that I will NEVER do this many monsters for a single project again. Never, ever, EVAR.
    I still stand by that you're crazy. Awesome-crazy, but crazy nontheless.

So, I picked up FFX today; only played about an hour, and I have absolutely no idea what's going on. I've played Square games before, so I'm used to it

Otherwise, game seems great so far (No ATB system....Sweet merciful glorious heavens yes!)
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2008-09-07 at 12:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Damn, you're right. Okay, over the next few days, I'll be updating some of the monsters mentioned above, so as to be more true to D20 monster creation guidelines. Although some monsters will remain the same, but with explanations for why they go against expectations. All of the monsters were designed to include only the attacks/abilities that they have in the original game. But I do realize that some creature need more/different attacks/abilities if they are going to fit their Challenge Ratings.

Thanks for the catch, Debby. I just finished working up the Arena monsters, so I now have time for such thorough editing. I also wish to repeat here that I will NEVER do this many monsters for a single project again. Never, ever, EVAR.
    Your quite welcome. At least there weren't many monsters that I saw with errors and most of those are relatively easy fixes. Unfortunately, you've got a bunch of monsters with no attacks at all who rely solely on their magical abilities. That's always tough to sell. While it may make them look like their FF video game counterparts, it's going to significantly weaken them in D&D.

I look forward to seeing your edits. I think you've been doing an awesome job so far. This is huge. I couldn't imagine trying to tackle something this big.

Debby

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ettin in the Playground

Mortibody
    Spoiler
    Show

Medium Undead (Fiend)
    Hit Dice: 12d12 (78HP)
    Speed: Fly 20’ (4 squares, poor maneuverability)
    Armor Class: 18 (+5 Dex, +3 natural); touch 15; flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+14
    Attack: Shattering Claw +14 melee (1d6+8)
    Full Attack: 2 Shattering Claws +14 melee (1d6+8)
    Space/Reach: 5’/5’
    Special Attacks: Blizzard All, Desperado, Fire All, Thunder All, Water All
    Special Qualities: Cura, Mortibsorption, Undead traits
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +9
    Abilities: Str 26 (+8), Dex 20 (+5), Con -- (+0), Int 2 (-4), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 1 (-5)
    Skills: Listen +4, Spellcraft +6, Spot +3, Use Magic Device +2
    Feats: Cleave, Combat Expertise, HoverB, Magical Aptitude, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Spellcraft)
    Environment: any (Bevelle)
    Organization: pair (with Seymour Natus)
    Challenge Rating: 14
    Treasure: 2× standard
    Magic Pool: 12d4 (30MP)

Blizzard All (Sp): this is a ranged touch attack that deals 12d4 points of cold damage to all opponents within 60’ on a successful hit; Fortitude save (DC17) for half damage; the save DC is Wisdom-based; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 12MP to use

Desperado (Sp): remove many positive conditions from all opponents within 60’ (no saving throw); positive conditions that this negates include haste effects, nul effects (but not mighty guard), shell effects, protect effects, reflect effects, & regen effects; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 8MP to use

Fire All (Sp): this is a ranged touch attack that deals 12d4 points of fire damage to all opponents within 60’ on a successful hit; Fortitude save (DC17) for half damage; the save DC is Wisdom-based; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 12MP to use

Thunder All (Sp): this is a ranged touch attack that deals 12d4 points of electricity damage to all opponents within 60’ on a successful hit; Fortitude save (DC17) for half damage; the save DC is Wisdom-based; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 12MP to use

Water All (Sp): this is a ranged touch attack that deals 12d4 points of water (force) damage to all opponents within 60’ on a successful hit; Fortitude save (DC17) for half damage; the save DC is Wisdom-based; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 12MP to use

Cura (Sp): cures 3d8+10 points of damage of any 1 ally within 60’ (including itself); since undead (but not [Unsent]) are powered by negative energy, this spell deals damage to them instead of curing their wounds, although an undead creature can apply spell resistance, & can attempt a Will save (DC17) for half damage; the save DC is Wisdom-based; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 10MP to use

Mortibsorption (Sp): the creature draws health from allies to sustain itself; on a successful touch attack, it transfers 1HP per HD from an ally’s HP pool to its own; the ally can make a Fortitude save (DC17) for half damage, if they wish, which reduces the amount of HP gained accordingly; the save DC is Wisdom-based; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this can only be used on allies within your party; this ability costs 10MP to use
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-11-05 at 04:04 PM. Reason: increased ranges

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, I've fixed all of the monster's full attacks. This addresses most of the issues that Debby brought up in post #447, as well as tweaking many monsters that weren't mentioned. Some creatures have been left as they are for thematic reasons, but those are in the minority. I've also tweaked the monsters that I haven't post yet, so there shouldn't be furthers issues with the full attacks.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

Mortivessel/Mortiorchis
    Spoiler
    Show

Huge Undead (Fiend)
    Hit Dice: 16d12 (104HP)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: Fly 40’ (8 squares, poor maneuverability)
    Armor Class: 18 (-2 size, +4 Dex, +6 natural); touch 12; flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+31
    Attack: N/A
    Full Attack: N/A
    Space/Reach: 15’/10’
    Special Attacks: Cross Cleave, Mortibsorption, Total Annihilation
    Special Qualities: Full-Life, Undead traits
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +9, Will +10
    Abilities: Str 40 (+15), Dex 18 (+4), Con -- (+0), Int -- (+0), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 1 (-5)
    Skills: N/A
    Feats: Full-LifeB, HoverB
    Environment: any (Mt. Gagazet)
    Organization: pair (with Seymour Flux)
    Challenge Rating: 16
    Magic Pool: 16d4 (40MP)

Cross Cleave (Su): the creature creates a whirl of blades; all creatures within reach take 2d6+15 slashing damage & a -20 Initiative penalty for the next round; if a creature makes a Fortitude save (DC22), then they only take half damage & negate the Initiative penalty; the save DC is Dexterity-based; this is a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity

Mortibsorption (Sp): the creature draws health from allies to sustain itself; on a successful touch attack, it transfers 1HP per HD from an ally’s HP pool to its own; the ally can make a Fortitude save (DC18) for half damage, if they wish, which reduces the amount of HP gained accordingly; the save DC is Wisdom-based; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this can only be used on allies within your party; this ability costs 10MP to use

Total Annihilation (Su): the creature creates an obliterating explosion; all creatures within 100’ take 1d8+15 non-specified damage (no saving throw); this damage ignores Damage Reduction; this is a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity

Full-Life (Sp): raises 1 ally from the dead; this also negates KO status; raises an ally that has been dead for no longer than one minute per caster level; in addition, the subject’s soul must be free & willing to return; if the subject’s soul is not willing to return, the spell does not work; therefore, a subject that wants to return receives no saving throw; a raised creature has a number of hit points equal to its maximum HP; any ability scores damaged to 0 are raised to their normal maximum amount; normal poisons & diseases are cured in the process of raising the subject, but magical diseases & curses are not undone; while the spell closes mortal wounds & repairs lethal damage of most kinds, the body of the creature to be raised must be whole; otherwise, missing parts are still missing when the creature is brought back to life; none of the dead creature’s equipment or possessions are affected in any way by this spell; Constructs, Elementals, Outsiders, & Undead creatures cannot be raised; this ability cannot bring back a creature that has died of old age; this is a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 60MP to use
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-11-05 at 04:05 PM. Reason: increased ranges

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Alright, I've fixed all of the monster's full attacks. This addresses most of the issues that Debby brought up in post #447, as well as tweaking many monsters that weren't mentioned. Some creatures have been left as they are for thematic reasons, but those are in the minority. I've also tweaked the monsters that I haven't post yet, so there shouldn't be furthers issues with the full attacks.
    Sorta. Some have 2 bites when they really should have only one. A creature can't bite twice unless it has 2 sets of jaws. It just looks weird to see 2 bites in the Full Attack line. Ditto with gore.

Biran Ronso who looks like he should have a slam attack in addtion to the gore attacks. . This would give him one gore attack or two slams. Slam would be at +7 melee. [I'm not sure what his damage would be]. He looks too weak for his level without the extra attacks.

Another thing I'm noticing is that you tend to give out only main attacks and not give your creatures secondary attacks. I think some of your creatures could really benefit from having secondary attacks.

For example, Behemoth looks like it could use both Bite and Slam. In that case the Full attack would be Bite +20 melee (2d6+8) and 2 slams +15 melee (2d6+8). I'm just bringing it up as a suggestion. If it had the multiattack feat, the 2nd attack would only be a -2 penalty instead of the standard -5.

Behemoth King would have bite and 2 slams as well. I think to justify the CR it needs to have both.

I'm still a bit perplexed by the apocalypse sword from Braska's Final Aeon/Jecht. It looks like it should a magically enhanced weapon. Otherwise this significantly lowers the CR. Sure it can do a lot of damage, but at 25 hit dice it should be doing lots of damage. Compare that to some other critters with CR 22, and you'll find this one a bit underpowered without a magic sword. I recommend making it +2 sword with one other magical enhancement Keen is nice for extra reach or Dancing so it can move on its own is another good enhancement. I'm not sure how it worked in the video game. At CR 22, that sword is much too weak. It should also be listed in the treasure.

I'm not really sure what Megiddo Flame is either. It's some sort of ranged attack that the Chimeras have. I'm not sure whether this was a natural weapon or not. It makes it difficult to critique.

Fists of fury now makes a lot more sense. Thanks for clarify that.

I like the way you described the Haymaker that the Defenders have. That is so much clearer now.

I'm thinking that the dual horns could benefit from Full Attack of both Bite and Horn. Bite +9 melee (1d6+5) AND 2 Gores +5 melee (1d8+5). You can even bump up the damage on the bite to (1d6+7) for 1 1/2 times Str because it has such powerful jaws. The way the horns are situated, it would be easy to bite and gore the same target.

I have to admit, I don't quite get the Extractor. Is this something encountered underwater? What is the aqua shooter? If it's an item, then you should list it in the treasure as well.

Garuda look good. I like that they only get one attack until #3.

Gemini looks good. Are the weapons natural attacks? If they aren't, then the creatures CAN benefit from multiple attacks based on BAB. I'm thinking that these weapons should probably also be magically enhanced or at least masterwork quality.

It looks like the Geosgaeno has two mouths [at least in the picture] so this is the one time that the 2 bite attacks don't look out of place.

Are FFX ghosts incorporeal like regular D&D ghosts? If so, they need that added: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubty...rporealSubtype
    I'm guessing that these are significantly different from reguar D&D ghosts. This is where a little game knowledge would come in handy.

The Graat's CR is way too high. As long as the party can target it from beyond it's 30 ft. distance, they are golden. I'd drop the CR to 4.

Grendel should be able to gore and bite at the same time instead of two bites or two gores. Because it is HUGE you might want to consider giving it a 2d8 Crush attack like a dragon has. This will beef it up a little to justify the CR 10 that you've given it.

Ice Flan should be vulnerable to fire. I'm not sure that DR 35/magic for a 7 hit die monster is really appropriate. Usually DR is usualy between 5 and 15. I realize that you wanted to beef it up, but I don't think that was the way to go.

Iron Giant look okay. As long as the weapons aren't natural it can use its full BAB +9/+4. It's hard to tell with constructs whether the weapons are natural.

Kusariqqi and Lamashtu should only have one bite as full attack. CR should be lower for both of them by 1 or 2.

Landworm still looks off to me. It should have 1 bite and 1 tail slap perhaps.

Master Tonberry attacks with a weapon not a with a natural attack so he can still use his melee +19/+14 with his chef's knife. That knife does a wicked amount of damage. I think it needs to be more than a standard chef knife to jusify the amount of damage it does. Perhaps Vicious to explain it.

The mech look okay but the CR is probably a little high for them. CR is 3/4 HD it looks like. DR is still a little wonky. If the leader has 20 give the other 15/10/5 depending on rank. It's a little more consistent that way.

Dang that was a lot to look after!

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2008-09-08 at 01:57 PM.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ettin in the Playground

Fixed some stuff (again). Here's a rough breakdown:
    • Got rid of "2 Bites" & "2 Gores" for almost every monster (except Geosgaeno).
    • Biran Ronso got a Slam attack (even though a Ronso with class levels normally would not gain such a thing).
    • Jecht's Apocalypse Sword is now statted properly.
    • Megiddo Flame is a natural ranged weapon, & as such can only be done once per round. It has not been changed.
    • Dual Horns/Grendel now have 1 bite & 2 gores on a full attack.
    • Extractor is an underwater boss for the Moonflow area. It has not been changed.
    • Gemini/Iron Giant's weapons are not natural, & as such they have the standard full attack progression. I've added their weapons to the treasure.
    • Ghosts in FFX do not seem to be incorporeal. I've considered making them such, but I'm still not sure. Thoughts?
    • The range of Grat's Seed Cannon has been increased. I'm considering other ways to increase their threat level.
    • Ice Flans have the Cold subtype already, which has a vulnerability to fire damage built in.
    • All flans have DR equal to 5 × HD. It's not stated anywhere; it's just a personal design philosophy.
    • Land Worms should be okay with 2 slams in their full attack.
    • Tonberry's stats now include a clarification for the Chef's Knife attack.
    • Challenge Ratings will not be adjusted; if a creature does not fully match its CR, the stats will be changed to make it fit better.

Hopefully that will take care of most of the full attack issues.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ettin in the Playground

Murussu
    Spoiler
    Show

Small Aberration (Fiend)
    Hit Dice: 5d8+25 (47HP)
    Initiative: -1
    Speed: 20’ (4 squares)
    Armor Class: 19 (+1 size, -1 Dex, +9 natural); touch 10; flat-footed 19
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+2
    Attack: Slam +7 melee (1d4+3 + Slow)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +7 melee (1d4+3 + Slow)
    Special Attacks: Slow
    Special Qualities: Aberration traits
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +0, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 16 (+3), Dex 9 (-1), Con 19 (+4), Int 4 (-3), Wis 13 (+1), Cha 12 (+1)
    Skills: Listen +4, Spot +3, Survival +4
    Feats: Great Fortitude, Improved Toughness
    Environment: cold forest (Macalania)
    Organization: pair or party (1 with a group of 1-3 Fiends)
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Normal/Rare Steal: Hi-Potion/Hypello Potion
    Magic Pool: 10d6+40 (75MP)

Slow (Ex): inflicts Slowed status for 3 rounds on 1 opponent; Fortitude save (DC13) to resist; the save DC is Wisdom-based
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-09-08 at 11:33 PM. Reason: added image

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ettin in the Playground

Mushussu
    Spoiler
    Show

Large Animal (Fiend)
    Hit Dice: 6d8+18 (45HP)
    Initiative: +3
    Armor Class: 14 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +2 natural); touch 12; flat-footed 11
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+13
    Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d8+5 + Slow)
    Full Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d8+5 + Slow)
    Space/Reach: 10’/5’
    Special Attacks: Breath, Slow
    Special Qualities: Animal traits
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 21 (+5), Dex 16 (+3), Con 17 (+3), Int 1 (-5), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 14 (+2)
    Skills: Listen +9, Spot +8
    Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude, Track
    Environment: warm desert (Sanubia Desert)
    Normal/Rare Steal: Hi-Potion/Gold Hourglass
    Magic Pool: 6d6+24 (45MP)

Breath (Su): once every 1d4+1 rounds, the creature can emit a 45’ cone of deadly breath, dealing 2d6 points of acid damage; Reflex save (DC15) for half damage; the save DC is Wisdom-based; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity

Slow (Ex): inflicts Slowed status for 3 rounds on 1 opponent; Fortitude save (DC15) to resist; the save DC is Wisdom-based
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-11-05 at 04:06 PM. Reason: increased ranges

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

[*]Ghosts in FFX do not seem to be incorporeal. I've considered making them such, but I'm still not sure. Thoughts?
    You could make them incorporeal with the Ghostly Grasp feat. I recall the unsent being able to make themselves more 'translucent' if they let go of the concentration required to hold their forms together.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    You could make them incorporeal with the Ghostly Grasp feat.
    Oh yeah, from Libris Mortis. I like that, I think I'll do it.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Fixed some stuff (again). Here's a rough breakdown:
    [LIST][*]Got rid of "2 Bites" & "2 Gores" for almost every monster (except Geosgaeno).[*]Biran Ronso got a Slam attack (even though a Ronso with class levels normally would not gain such a thing)..
    Normally, a Ronso with class levels would have some kind of weapon, but you neglected to give him one. Is he only fighting with unarmed attacks or are you keeping the slam? Unarmed attacks are fairly wimpy See below:

Spoiler
    Show

Unarmed Attacks
    Striking for damage with punches, kicks, and head butts is much like attacking with a melee weapon, except for the following:

Attacks of Opportunity
    Attacking unarmed provokes an attack of opportunity from the character you attack, provided she is armed. The attack of opportunity comes before your attack. An unarmed attack does not provoke attacks of opportunity from other foes nor does it provoke an attack of opportunity from an unarmed foe.

An unarmed character can’t take attacks of opportunity (but see "Armed" Unarmed Attacks, below).

"Armed" Unarmed Attacks
    Sometimes a character’s or creature’s unarmed attack counts as an armed attack. A monk, a character with the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, a spellcaster delivering a touch attack spell, and a creature with natural physical weapons all count as being armed.

Note that being armed counts for both offense and defense (the character can make attacks of opportunity)

Unarmed Strike Damage
    An unarmed strike from a Medium character deals 1d3 points of damage (plus your Strength modifier, as normal). A Small character’s unarmed strike deals 1d2 points of damage, while a Large character’s unarmed strike deals 1d4 points of damage. All damage from unarmed strikes is nonlethal damage. Unarmed strikes count as light weapons (for purposes of two-weapon attack penalties and so on).

Dealing Lethal Damage
    You can specify that your unarmed strike will deal lethal damage before you make your attack roll, but you take a -4 penalty on your attack roll. If you have the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, you can deal lethal damage with an unarmed strike without taking a penalty on the attack roll.

If you look at the Orc warrior in the MM or online in the SRD [ http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/Orc.htm ] it's got a weapon so giving a classed monster a weapon makes more sense than giving it slam. This is partly my error too since I should have noticed this sooner.

Debby

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The 12 HD Dark Flan has DR 60/magic! That's way too much damage reduction. Not even epic creatures have that much damage reduction. It's 4 times better than what the tarrasque has.

Have you looked at the Rules Compendium on damage reduction? DR should be between 5 and 15.

I understand that the various flans rely heavily on damage reduction in the video game, but for a d20 game that is just going to drag out combat unless the party is equipped with epic weapons or artifacts or spells that can do massive amounts of damage. It's not appropriate to a CR 11.

If you give the Dark Flan DR 15/magic, then the Aqua Flan should have DR/10, and the Fire and Ice Flans should have DR/5.

This is more in keeping with their number of hit dice and their challenge rating.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2008-09-09 at 03:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Gemini
    Attack: Longsword +15 melee (2d6+4) or Heavy Mace +15 melee (2d6+4)
    Full Attack: Longsword +15/+10/+5 melee (2d6+4) or Heavy Mace +15/+10/+
    Since it has a masterwork weapon, it add +1 to attack rolls. Attack should be +16.

Debby

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Geosgaeno #2

Bite attack is +38 melee (you and I forgot to add the +4 to the bite from Improved Natural Attack). Doh! And the punchs should be secondary attacks and should have a +29 melee [they are still considered secondary attacks and get the -5 penalty].

Debby

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ettin in the Playground

Nebiros
    Spoiler
    Show

Medium Vermin (Fiend)
    Hit Dice: 6d8 (27HP)
    Speed: 10’ (2 squares), Fly 50’ (10 squares, good maneuverability)
    Armor Class: 16 (+5 Dex, +1 natural); touch 15; flat-footed 11
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+4
    Attack: Sting +4 melee (1d6 + Poison)
    Full Attack: Sting +4 melee (1d6 + Poison)
    Special Attacks: Poison
    Special Qualities: Vermin traits
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 11 (+0), Dex 20 (+5), Con 11 (+0), Int -- (+0), Wis 13 (+1), Cha 9 (-1)
    Feats: HoverB
    Environment: temperate plains (Calm Lands)
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Normal/Rare Steal: Poison Fang/Poison Fang (×2)
    Magic Pool: 6d6+24 (45MP)

Poison (Ex): inflicts Poison status on 1 opponent; Fortitude save (DC14) to resist; the save DC is Wisdom-based
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-09-09 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added image

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

Negator
    Spoiler
    Show

Tiny Construct
    Hit Dice: 3d10 (16HP)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: Fly 50’ (10 squares, perfect maneuverability)
    Armor Class: 17 (+2 size, +4 Dex, +1 natural); touch 16; flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-5
    Attack: N/A
    Full Attack: N/A
    Space/Reach: 2½’/0’
    Special Attacks: Anti-Magic Field
    Special Qualities: Construct traits
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 12 (+1), Dex 18 (+4), Con -- (+0), Int 1 (-5), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 1 (-5)
    Skills: Listen +5, Spot +8
    Feats: Great Fortitude, Skill Focus (Spot)
    Environment: any (Macalania)
    Organization: unit (with Crawler or group of 1-3 Fiends)
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Normal/Rare Steal: Hi-Potion/Hi-Potion
    Alignment: always Neutral
    Magic Pool: 3d4 (7MP)

Anti-Magic Field: the creature emits an anti-magic field with a radius of 20’; no supernatural ability, spell-like ability, or spell works within the area (see Antimagic for details), the creature can emit or remove the field as a swift action
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-11-06 at 10:09 PM. Reason: increased ranges

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground

Nidhogg
    Spoiler
    Show

Large Animal (Fiend)
    Hit Dice: 7d8+28 (59HP)
    Initiative: +3
    Armor Class: 14 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +2 natural); touch 12; flat-footed 11
    Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+15
    Attack: Bite +10 melee (1d8+6 + Slow)
    Full Attack: Bite +10 melee (1d8+6 + Slow)
    Space/Reach: 10’/5’
    Special Attacks: Breath, Slow
    Special Qualities: Animal traits
    Saves: Fort +11, Ref +8, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 23 (+6), Dex 17 (+3), Con 19 (+4), Int 1 (-5), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 15 (+2)
    Skills: Listen +9, Spot +9
    Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude, Track
    Environment: underground or cold mountains (Calm Lands, Mt. Gagazet)
    Challenge Rating: 7
    Normal/Rare Steal: Hi-Potion/Gold Hourglass
    Magic Pool: 7d6+28 (52MP)

Breath (Su): once every 1d4+1 rounds, the creature can emit a 45’ cone of deadly breath, dealing 2d6 points of acid damage; Reflex save (DC15) for half damage; the save DC is Wisdom-based; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity

Slow (Ex): inflicts Slowed status for 3 rounds on 1 opponent; Fortitude save (DC15) to resist; the save DC is Wisdom-based
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-11-06 at 10:09 PM. Reason: increased ranges

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ettin in the Playground

Oblitzerator
    Spoiler
    Show

Huge Construct
    Hit Dice: 8d10+40 (84HP)
    Initiative: -4
    Speed: 10’ (2 squares)
    Armor Class: 12 (-2 size, -4 Dex, +8 natural); touch 4; flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+23
    Attack: Blitzball +6 ranged (2d6+9, 50’ range)
    Full Attack: Blitzball +6/+1 ranged (2d6+9, 50’ range)
    Space/Reach: 15’/10’
    Special Attacks: Blind Ball, Mute Ball, Sleep Ball
    Special Qualities: Construct traits
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref -2, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 28 (+9), Dex 14 (+2), Con -- (+0), Int -- (+0), Wis 11 (+0), Cha 1 (-5)
    Feats: Power AttackB
    Environment: any (Luca)
    Organization: solitary
    Challenge Rating: 7
    Alignment: Neutral
    Magic Pool: 8d4 (20MP)

Blind Ball (Ex): once every 1d4+1 rounds, 1 successful Blitzball attack has inflicts Blind status for 1 round on 1 opponent; Fortitude save (DC14) to resist; the save DC is Wisdom-based

Mute Ball (Ex): once every 1d4+1 rounds, 1 successful Blitzball attack has inflicts Mute status for 1 round on 1 opponent; Fortitude save (DC14) to resist; the save DC is Wisdom-based

Sleep Ball (Ex): once every 1d4+1 rounds, 1 successful Blitzball attack has inflicts Sleep status for 1 round on 1 opponent; Fortitude save (DC14) to resist; the save DC is Wisdom-based
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-11-06 at 10:10 PM. Reason: increased ranges

22. - Top - End - #472
    Troll in the Playground

The 12 HD Dark Flan has DR 60/magic! That's way too much damage reduction. Not even epic creatures have that much damage reduction. It's 4 times better than what the tarrasque has.

Have you looked at the Rules Compendium on damage reduction? DR should be between 5 and 15.

I understand that the various flans rely heavily on damage reduction in the video game, but for a d20 game that is just going to drag out combat unless the party is equipped with epic weapons or artifacts or spells that can do massive amounts of damage. It's not appropriate to a CR 11.

If you give the Dark Flan DR 15/magic, then the Aqua Flan should have DR/10, and the Fire and Ice Flans should have DR/5.

This is more in keeping with their number of hit dice and their challenge rating.

Debby
    It isn't all that hard to get magic weapons (or the magic weapon spell if you're just importing monsters and not the classes into your game), which neatly bypass DR 60/magic. They're meant to be stupidly hard against melee, but bypassed by magic. I'd actually suggest instead using Debby's lowered DR numbers, but make it DR /-. That way any physical attacks get reduced, but magic bypasses that.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    It isn't all that hard to get magic weapons (or the magic weapon spell if you're just importing monsters and not the classes into your game), which neatly bypass DR 60/magic. They're meant to be stupidly hard against melee, but bypassed by magic. I'd actually suggest instead using Debby's lowered DR numbers, but make it DR /-. That way any physical attacks get reduced, but magic bypasses that.
    I wholeheartedly agree. DR 15/- is much, much better.

Anyhow, the Oblitzerator is really cool. It and the negator need some construction stuff but that's minor. If I could figure out the construction rules I'd do it myself.

I sometimes wonder if your fiends should all lose the animal type and all be magical beasts. The animal category doesn't really fit them.

Debby

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ettin in the Playground

I may consider a DR reduction (?), but not so low as DR15/magic. DR/-- is inappropriate for the flans/elementals, as that is not representative of how they appear in the game. I will address this when I have time. Move along.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

Ochu
    Spoiler
    Show

Large Plant (Fiend)
    Hit Dice: 7d8+21 (52HP)
    Speed: 15’ (3 squares)
    Armor Class: 12 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +2 natural); touch 10; flat-footed 11
    Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+15
    Attack: Tentacle +10 melee (1d8+6 + Poison)
    Full Attack: 2 Tentacles +10 melee (1d8+6 + Poison)
    Special Attacks: Ochu Dance, Poison
    Special Qualities: Plant traits
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +1
    Abilities: Str 23 (+6), Dex 13 (+1), Con 17 (+3), Int 3 (-4), Wis 8 (-1), Cha 3 (-4)
    Skills: Climb +9, Listen +2, Move Silently +5
    Feats: Dodge, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes
    Environment: temperate marshes (Moonflow)
    Normal/Rare Steal: Remedy/Remedy (×2)
    Magic Pool: 7d6+28 (52MP)

Ochu Dance (Su): the creature dances as it releases a 45’ cloud of spores; this attack is a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; all creatures caught within the cloud are affected by the following status effects:
    • inflicts Blind status for 3 rounds; Fortitude save (DC12) to resist; the save DC is Wisdom-based
    • inflicts Confused status; Will save (DC12) to resist; the save DC is Wisdom-based
    • inflicts Mute status for 3 rounds; Fortitude save (DC12) to resist; the save DC is Wisdom-based
    • inflicts Slowed status for 5 rounds; Fortitude save (DC12) to resist; the save DC is Wisdom-based

Poison (Ex): inflicts Poison status on 1 opponent; Fortitude save (DC12) to resist; the save DC is Wisdom-based
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-11-06 at 10:11 PM. Reason: increased ranges

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ettin in the Playground

Octopus
    Spoiler
    Show

Large Animal (Aquatic, Fiend)
    Hit Dice: 10d8+20 (65HP)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 15’ (3 squares), Swim 40’ (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 14 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural); touch 11; flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+16
    Attack: Slap +11 melee (1d8+5) or Tentacle +11 melee (1d8+5 + Slow)
    Full Attack: 2 Slaps +11 melee (1d8+5) or 2 Tentacles +11 melee (1d8+5 + Slow)
    Special Attacks: Slow
    Special Qualities: Animal traits, Aquatic traits
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +9, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 20 (+5), Dex 15 (+2), Con 13 (+1), Int 2 (-4), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 3 (-4)
    Skills: Hide +8, Listen +7, Spot +5, Swim +9
    Feats: Alertness, Improved Toughness, Run, Skill Focus (Hide)
    Environment: temperate aquatic (Bevelle)
    Challenge Rating: 9
    Normal/Rare Steal: Dragon Scale (×2)/Water Gem (×2)
    Magic Pool: 10d6+40 (75MP)

Slow (Ex): inflicts Slowed status for 3 rounds on 1 opponent; Fortitude save (DC16) to resist; the save DC is Wisdom-based
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-09-12 at 11:35 AM. Reason: added image

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, I fixed the Damage Reduction for the flans & the elements. All flans have DR=HD×2, while all elements have DR=HD×1. Enjoy.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Thanks Zeta. They look much more playable now. I know it was a total pain so I really appreciate that you made the changes. No more quibbles from the peanut gallery (well at least not from me)

Debby

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks Zeta. They look much more playable now. I know it was a total pain so I really appreciate that you made the changes. No more quibbles from the peanut gallery (well at least not from me)
    Well, if I can please one person the internet, then I've done my job.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground

Ogre
    Spoiler
    Show

Large Monstrous Humanoid (Fiend)
    Hit Dice: 11d8+22 (71HP)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 40’ (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 11 (-1 size, +2 natural); touch 9; flat-footed 11
    Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+20
    Attack: Slam +15 melee (1d8+5)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +15 melee (1d8+5)
    Special Attacks: Counterattack
    Special Qualities: Monstrous Humanoid traits. Powerful Build
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 20 (+5), Dex 10 (+0), Con 15 (+2), Int 7 (-2), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 8 (-1)
    Skills: Listen +6, Spot +5, Survival +6
    Feats: Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bullrush, Power Attack
    Environment: temperate plains (Calm Lands)
    Challenge Rating: 9
    Normal/Rare Steal: Stamina Spring/Stamina Spring (×2)
    Magic Pool: 11d6+44 (82MP)

Counterattack (Ex): upon being hit by a successful physical attack, the creature gains 1 extra attack of opportunity against an opponent that successfully hit them, even if the attack wouldn’t normally allow an attack of opportunity

Powerful Build (Ex): whenever the creature is subject to any size modifier, it is treated as 1 size larger if doing so is advantageous to it; it is also considered to be 1 size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect it; the creature can use weapons designed for a creature 1 size larger without penalty; however, its space & reach remain those of a creature of its actual size; the benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, & spells that change the subject’s size category
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-22 at 08:15 AM. Reason: added image