New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga Movie Review

About the sequels, Luke can defeat gravity. https://youtu.be/fD4ELaIPDqc?t=69
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #362
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    About the sequels, Luke can defeat gravity. https://youtu.be/fD4ELaIPDqc?t=69
    Aye, Jedi being able to levitate a foot or two in deep meditation or intense focus has been a thing for a while. I would say Rey takes it a step further on TROS, when she also flies back to the ground. Short levitation is one thing, flying is something else. Even with the best levitation in the series, I wouldn't say it helps with falling from great heights, as the sudden change in speed is the real killer there.

I say that mostly because, yeah, it makes the Emperor an idiot for not doing it in ROTJ, which doesnt make sense. Of course, it's not like he died there anyway, as it is now (and I see no reason to believe he fully died in TROS, since he can just be brought back, apparently).
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

In Clone Wars, I could have swore there was a scene where anakin arrests his fall using the force, then force catches his companions who were also falling. Unfortunately I do not remember an episode or even which story arc it took place in, so i would have to do a full rewatch to find it. (and while not bad, I'm in the middle of an Expance rewatch, so not right now.)

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I say that mostly because, yeah, it makes the Emperor an idiot for not doing it in ROTJ, which doesnt make sense. Of course, it's not like he died there anyway, as it is now (and I see no reason to believe he fully died in TROS, since he can just be brought back, apparently).
    Everything makes sense if you accept he is a force god (and a troll).

5. - Top - End - #365
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Everything makes sense if you accept he is a force god (and a troll).
    You could also gish-gallop it as the force wanting him dead.
    Either the dark side rejecting a 'loser', or the light side overcoming the dark side through the power of (family) luv.

6. - Top - End - #366

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Considering the femtosecond or so timing he pulls off in movie 7, manually dropping out of light speed inside the shield, he's certainly got some form of magical/action hero/sci-fi writers have no sense of scale/plot powers. The simplest way to keep this making sense in universe is to say he's force sensitive, whether any writers secretly agree or not.
    But the drive fails in a gravity well. He shouldn't have been able to get even close to the planet - space would be distorted enough a long way away to bring him out of hyperspeed. It's just bad writing.

I was rather expecting that the rebelling stormtrooper would have key information that would allow them to get through the shield - like knowledge of a missing section they once used to bring cargo in and was never closed. But they didn't do the obvious thing, they did a ridiculous thing instead.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

7. - Top - End - #367

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    The idea of force-aided movement runs counter to Palpatine falling down a shaft to his death.
    I always understood that as meaning that channeling Force Lightning wasn't something that could be turned on and off in a moment. Palpy had committed himself, and couldn't shift tack quickly enough.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    In Clone Wars, I could have swore there was a scene where anakin arrests his fall using the force, then force catches his companions who were also falling. Unfortunately I do not remember an episode or even which story arc it took place in, so i would have to do a full rewatch to find it. (and while not bad, I'm in the middle of an Expance rewatch, so not right now.)
    I think it's Landing at Port Rain. In that episode Anakin and Ashoka force-toss Rex from a high place then jump after him, but the SF Debris review cuts from them doing that to them being on the ground. Unfortunately, I have no access to the Clone Wars (and no intention of purchasing Disney+), so I cannot confirm.
    Last edited by Dargaron; 2020-05-21 at 07:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dargaron View Post
    I think it's Landing at Port Rain. In that episode Anakin and Ashoka force-toss Rex from a high place then jump after him, but the SF Debris review cuts from them doing that to them being on the ground. Unfortunately, I have no access to the Clone Wars (and no intention of purchasing Disney+), so I cannot confirm.
    It's a conspiracy to hide the extent of force levitation powers.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

10. - Top - End - #370
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sharp stop on top of an exploding reactor core.

(and apparently even that's not enough)

11. - Top - End - #371

Quote Originally Posted by NotASpiderSwarm View Post
    It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sharp stop on top of an exploding reactor core.

(and apparently even that's not enough)
    Reactor core wasn't exploding when the Emperor died.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

It explodes when Palp is flung into the shaft. Whether that's the lightning or the impact is left very unclear.

(the fact that it explodes is also pretty unclear, but that's due to the graphics of the time)

13. - Top - End - #373

Quote Originally Posted by NotASpiderSwarm View Post
    It explodes when Palp is flung into the shaft. Whether that's the lightning or the impact is left very unclear.

(the fact that it explodes is also pretty unclear, but that's due to the graphics of the time)
    The implication is that Palpatine explodes, a sort of Force storm. At least, that's how I always saw it; no fire, no smoke, no debris, no noticeable damage to anything... it'd be really weird for a reactor explosion to occur if the reactor explosion has no effect whatsoever, thematically or visually.

All that aside from the fact that the reactor core was perfectly fine until the Falcon shot it down several minutes later, of course.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-05-21 at 11:05 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374

I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jayem View Post
    Regarding the reviews. I've enjoyed bits of the reviews, especially your clear enthusiasm. Other reviewers can draw out more though.

We know he didn't believe in it, so I think we can rule out a Chirrut style awareness.
    But he is 'lucky', and is built up.
    Well, I'm glad you enjoy my review too.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post
    I always understood that as meaning that channeling Force Lightning wasn't something that could be turned on and off in a moment. Palpy had committed himself, and couldn't shift tack quickly enough.
    Dooku turns it on and off pretty easily in Attack of the Clones. It seems like a problem only Palpatine has. I think it's the ham that can't be turned off. lol

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

If we're talking parts of the originals that don't make sense, how about when Luke jumps down the shaft in Empire?

The shaft has no readily apparent purpose.
    There are tubes along the side that open into it for no discernible reason.
    Luke falls sideways into the tube - this at least can be explained by Force powers.
    Luke comes to a stop halfway down the tube, stopping just on top of a trap door that opens automatically. What!?
    The trap door sends him down another tube and out the bottom of Cloud City through a hatch that opens automatically for him.
    The hatch is directly above an aerial that would be damaged by anything that actually came out of the hatch.

I can let the initial shaft slide, because "generic sci-fi industrial area" is a thing and we can headcanon reasons for it existing. The tube has always struck me as exceptionally odd, and the trap door is just outright dumb. It's Galaxy Quest level design, put there purely so Luke can believably slow his fall while still landing on the aerial with a jarring impact. There's no justifiable reason to have a random trap door halfway down a shaft that automatically opens several seconds after a weight comes to rest on it.

18. - Top - End - #378

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    If we're talking parts of the originals that don't make sense, how about when Luke jumps down the shaft in Empire?

Luke falls sideways into the tube - this at least can be explained by Force powers.
    Luke comes to a stop halfway down the tube, stopping just on top of a trap door that opens automatically. What!?
    The trap door sends him down another tube and out the bottom of Cloud City through a hatch that opens automatically for him.
    The hatch is directly above an aerial that would be damaged by anything that actually came out of the hatch.

I can let the initial shaft slide, because "generic sci-fi industrial area" is a thing and we can headcanon reasons for it existing. The tube has always struck me as exceptionally odd, and the trap door is just outright dumb. It's Galaxy Quest level design, put there purely so Luke can believably slow his fall while still landing on the aerial with a jarring impact. There's no justifiable reason to have a random trap door halfway down a shaft that automatically opens several seconds after a weight comes to rest on it.
    It's a city that's floats in the atmosphere of a gas giant and somehow mines ressources from it. It's so far beyond our technical abilities that it's not surprising we're not able to make sense of its machinations. It's like a stone age man wondering why planes have wings - they are clearly superfluous, because they don't even flap like a bird's.
    shipping Sabine/Vaarsuvius

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post

Air shaft, with a blockage mitigation system placed where debris would naturally come into a halt if sucked into the system. The biggest problem is that it comes out anywhere near the aerial.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Air shaft, with a blockage mitigation system placed where debris would naturally come into a halt if sucked into the system. The biggest problem is that it comes out anywhere near the aerial.
    Ah, but the aerial isn't official infrastructure: it's some smuggler's ham radio aerial. They've gone down in the tunnel and through the blockage tunnel to wire their private comms system to the bottom of Cloud City so that it can't be detected. Clearly that's the reason that all those aerials are down there - why else wouldn't you put it on the top?

21. - Top - End - #381

OldWizardGuy

If the antenna was meant to communicate with drones working below the city, putting it on top would screw up the signal.

22. - Top - End - #382

It also could have been an entry point. They extract stuff, right? The massive chamber could have been a silo to be filled with gas pumped up from the vent, while the antenna was a way to check out the quality of gas before automatically opening the door.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

We have to acknowledge that we are putting our own fannon explanations for things out here. Lucas is notorious for not planning out the logistical details about how his stories work. EU writers, and fans have always filled in the details with whatever we thought was plausible. Those white cylinders on the stormtrooper armor. Their lightsabers, because the original draft had lightsabers as something everyone used. But when they changed it they left it on the stormtrooper costumes.

Lucas just does stuff, and people come up with fan explanations later
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.