Ogre in the Playground
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 11: It's Like Seeing a Unicorn

It is progress, but its not like its really all that new. She has been shown to be steadily improving for a long time now. I like how she seems to have suddenly NOTICED her change though. It shows it was gradual enough that each small step slipped under the radar until suddenly she realized she just contemplated something that she NEVER would have before.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    It is progress, but its not like its really all that new. She has been shown to be steadily improving for a long time now. I like how she seems to have suddenly NOTICED her change though. It shows it was gradual enough that each small step slipped under the radar until suddenly she realized she just contemplated something that she NEVER would have before.
    Agreed. We haven't really been privy to the medical half of things (i.e. finding the right combination of meds, how her therapy is going, and so on, probably because they aren't funny jokes to tell at the same time), but it has still be a gradual change that is quite believable.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I just noticed that "Bleminda" has an N7 hoodie. Neat!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Agreed. We haven't really been privy to the medical half of things (i.e. finding the right combination of meds, how her therapy is going, and so on, probably because they aren't funny jokes to tell at the same time), but it has still be a gradual change that is quite believable.

GW
    Which I for one appreciate. As someone who has been dealing with their own issues, often feeling like I'm running as hard as I can just to avoid backsliding, this mirrors my own experience. It's a nice change from the usual "medication makes everything better instantly with no side effects," or "love fixes you," or even "sudden epiphany completely solves all of your problems forever" tropes that seem so common.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Which I for one appreciate. As someone who has been dealing with their own issues, often feeling like I'm running as hard as I can just to avoid backsliding, this mirrors my own experience. It's a nice change from the usual "medication makes everything better instantly with no side effects," or "love fixes you," or even "sudden epiphany completely solves all of your problems forever" tropes that seem so common.
    Medication fixes a lot of my issues. Side effects, sure, plenty indeed. It depends on which issues and which medications.

I suspect without medication at this point I would have been long dead. However, that is just speculation.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Medication fixes a lot of my issues. Side effects, sure, plenty indeed. It depends on which issues and which medications.

I suspect without medication at this point I would have been long dead. However, that is just speculation.
    Likewise. I'm on medication myself. Mostly it quiets my issues enough so I can do the aforementioned running.

I'm not saying that medication doesn't work, just griping about the trope where someone takes a pill and suddenly they're perfectly functional and it's never adressed again. It always kind of struck me as a way of being able to say "we acknowledge mental issues and are inclusive!" without actually, you know, having to write a character dealing with a mental illness.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2017-07-26 at 11:26 AM.
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeph's pretty good with issues like Hanners' OCD and Faye's alcoholism... most likely because he personally has super bad OCD and was an alcoholic for a while.

As someone with a somewhat less common form of OCD (I have purely obsessional OCD, so I don't get the hand washing and compulsive behaviours, but I do get the crippling anxiety and fixating on stupid stuff!), I appreciate Hanners as a character; she's probably the most realistic portrayal of OCD I've seen in media.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

I told you there would be therapy! Pillow therapy, which is Scientifically the best therapy. Just ask Science, my pet ocelot/raptor/pillow psychologist.
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

But what if the pillows have dander inside?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Did I miss something with Hannalore's hair, or did it just suddenly change?
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Did I miss something with Hannalore's hair, or did it just suddenly change?
    She's apparently cut it sometime between 3504 and 3533. It is shorter.

What we don't have is a clear understanding of how much time has passed in that gap. It feels like it is the next day (so in-comic she just had it done), but it could be longer.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, it looks like Renee and Claire are going to be best friends.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Oh Lord, save Elliot from his friends...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

God.

Poor Elliot.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, I'd say we nailed the thread title....

Except now we have to wonder how accidental it was on Elliot's part.

And yeah, poor Elliot. I suspect Renee's about to make another of her poor decisions.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

God damn it. I figured Renee would be a...what's the word...fujoshi? Yeah, one of my top three least favorite kinds of people on the planet.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

See, I'm used to people finding the worst possible interpretation of Renée's actions or thoughts, but I'm morbidly curious as to which orifice that one came from.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Ignoring how much I hate Renee and wish we didn't have to see her any more... (She's like Faye except without any of the character development. If Faye is now a 100 and started the comic as a 1, Renee is like... -55.)

The Brun-Elliot-Clinton polycule theory seems marginally more likely now than it was before?
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

So, I'm the last person to object to this kind of thing but... really? I mean, I like Clinton well enough, I never considered him a creep, opposite to some others, but... Elliott having a crush on him? Or whatever you want to call it? Of course there's no accounting for taste but... this seems, really, really off to me.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    So, I'm the last person to object to this kind of thing but... really? I mean, I like Clinton well enough, I never considered him a creep, opposite to some others, but... Elliott having a crush on him? Or whatever you want to call it? Of course there's no accounting for taste but... this seems, really, really off to me.
    Yeah, with Elliot being this muscular a relationship only works if it's fully consensual. That only seems to work if Elliot is <erm I have no words that I know for sure won't be offensive> and even then, consent is not optional. If Brun is really, really into it, maybe a threesome can work, but it doesn't seem that likely, and Renee outing someone for a mis-fire would be really bad, maybe she dies in a fire after it fails?
    Last edited by halfeye; 2017-07-31 at 11:27 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I guess I'm not seeing the particular problem that y'all are seeing (except for the one caused by Renee, of course). Elliott's muscles have nothing to do with the importance of consent.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    I guess I'm not seeing the particular problem that y'all are seeing (except for the one caused by Renee, of course). Elliott's muscles have nothing to do with the importance of consent.
    If he forces himself upon an unwilling participant, that would have nothing to do with consent? Brun probably couldn't do that if she wanted to.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Ignoring how much I hate Renee and wish we didn't have to see her any more... (She's like Faye except without any of the character development. If Faye is now a 100 and started the comic as a 1, Renee is like... -55.)
    Er . . . Renee's not my favourite person or anything, but this seems a tad extreme.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

If he forces himself upon an unwilling participant, that would have nothing to do with consent? Brun probably couldn't do that if she wanted to.
    What are you on? There's lots of ways to force if she wamted to. Drugs, blackmail, manipulation. The strength and size of the attacker have nothing to do with anything related to concent.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    What are you on? There's lots of ways to force if she wamted to. Drugs, blackmail, manipulation. The strength and size of the attacker have nothing to do with anything related to concent.
    Maybe. However, physical strength is the most obvious/ most obnoxious.

I think on the whole though, maybe I mis-wrote.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Fair's fair, strength and size of the attacker in many cases do have something to do with lack of consent. Which is not to say that it is in every case, and given how unreported such crime is, might not even be the majority of the cases, but it can and is a possible source of coercion.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, with Elliot being this muscular a relationship only works if it's fully consensual. That only seems to work if Elliot is <erm I have no words that I know for sure won't be offensive> and even then, consent is not optional. If Brun is really, really into it, maybe a threesome can work, but it doesn't seem that likely, and Renee outing someone for a mis-fire would be really bad, maybe she dies in a fire after it fails?
    For context, this was the first bit. Bolding mine. Of course a relationship only works if it's consensual; I'm not sure where the muscles come in, unless you're arguing that they make this giant puppy dog into a potential rapist?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    For context, this was the first bit. Bolding mine. Of course a relationship only works if it's consensual; I'm not sure where the muscles come in, unless you're arguing that they make this giant puppy dog into a potential rapist?
    They make him a potentially capable rapist, if he ceases to be a puppy dog. If he stays with the puppy dog side (which is what Renee seems to be after) and forces himself in that role, does that make him not a sexual offender?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

They make him a potentially capable rapist, if he ceases to be a puppy dog. If he stays with the puppy dog side (which is what Renee seems to be after) and forces himself in that role, does that make him not a sexual offender?
    Forgive my language but what the hell are you saying? Anyone is capable of violating consent. Man, woman, big, small, or anything inbetween. The only thing thtlat makes one likely to is their own lack of morals. This loline of thinking you are putting forth is sickening.