New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Negative Level Adjustment?

Is there such a thing? Are there any races or templates that are so overwhelming disadvantageous that you actually get bonus levels to make up for it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Negative Level Adjustment?

No. I've seen Kobold houseruled that way, but it's too dangerous to do that unless you're doing situational adjustments (oh, you want to be a sword and board TWF ranger? Go for it. Druid? HAHAHAHA NO.)
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2009-11-05 at 11:35 AM.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    Is there such a thing? Are there any races or templates that are so overwhelming disadvantageous that you actually get bonus levels to make up for it?
    There are none, though there are some races that are considered below LA+0. They do not, however, give you bonus levels. See kobolds without dragonwrought cheese for exemples.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Well. There is the incarnate construct template on savage species -4 Level adjustment.

Of course, the template basicaly takes a construct (a creature with dozens of immunities, usualy numerous hit dice, and quite often nasty special abilities) and takes everything awayeaving only a humanoid/giant with a probably very large strength modifier, no bonus constitution, debilitatingly low charisma, poor wisdom, probably poor intelligence and usualy low agility to boot.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Then again, Savage Species is just plain silly.

I really ought to do this Anthropomorphic Bat Cloistered Cleric character concept I've been toying with. +6 wis cleric / skillmonkey character with a base fly speed and no LA? Yes please.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Well. There is the incarnate construct template on savage species -4 Level adjustment.
    Can't you apply that to a warforged and get some serious chicanery?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I could see a race with racial HD and a negative level adjustment to compensate for the crappiness of racial HD. Free class levels is a very bad idea though.

But something like a kobold? No, first level kobold sorcerers are bad enough as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    Such is the problem with making a subtype that does the same thing as a template.

Also a problem with constantly publishing new books for a game for five years without really considering what has come before it.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2009-11-05 at 11:55 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Just opened the book to check it again. The line says.

Level Adjustment: -2 (minimum 0)

So yes, you could apply the template to a warforged. But you would lose all the benefits of being a warforged without gaining... Anything at all.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

9. - Top - End - #9

Requires the potential construct to be mindless.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Actualy it does not.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    I could see a race with racial HD and a negative level adjustment to compensate for the crappiness of racial HD. Free class levels is a very bad idea though.

But something like a kobold? No, first level kobold sorcerers are bad enough as it is.

Such is the problem with making a subtype that does the same thing as a template.

Also a problem with constantly publishing new books for a game for five years without really considering what has come before it.
    eh. In this case, it was good to ignore it. The template was not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Just opened the book to check it again. The line says.

Level Adjustment: -2 (minimum 0)

So yes, you could apply the template to a warforged. But you would lose all the benefits of being a warforged without gaining... Anything at all.
    Template that gives +2 LA, apply with this? Is Winged applicable?

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Template that gives +2 LA, apply with this? Is Winged applicable?
    Half-Fey. Gives wings AND SLAs. +2 LA, applicable to any living, corporeal, non-fey creature. Despite being constructs, warforged are LIVING constructs.

So a Half-Fey Incarnate Construct Warforged has wings, SLAs, Immunity to Enchantment, At-Will charm person, and +4 Cha.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Half-Fey. Gives wings AND SLAs. +2 LA, applicable to any living, corporeal, non-fey creature. Despite being constructs, warforged are LIVING constructs.

So a Half-Fey Incarnate Construct Warforged has wings, SLAs, Immunity to Enchantment, At-Will charm person, and +4 Cha.
    If you applied the templates in that order, wouldn't you lose the SLAs?

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

14. - Top - End - #14

I believe that warforged don't count as living for template purposes.

This is, they're mass produced from a factory, you just can't have an half-anything warforged!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grushvak View Post
    Then again, Savage Species is just plain silly.

I really ought to do this Anthropomorphic Bat Cloistered Cleric character concept I've been toying with. +6 wis cleric / skillmonkey character with a base fly speed and no LA? Yes please.
    Seriously, would this build be viable? Has anything like this ever been done before?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Seriously, would this build be viable? Has anything like this ever been done before?
    Anthropomorphic Bat is the single best race for noncombatant Divine classes like Cloistered Cleric and Druid (because Wild Shape mitigates the negative Stat Mods). 0LA and +6 Wis =
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    I believe that warforged don't count as living for template purposes.

This is, they're mass produced from a factory, you just can't have an half-anything warforged!
    Half-templates can be applied via magic- they don't always have to be due to hybridization.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Anthropomorphic Bat is the single best race for noncombatant Divine classes like Cloistered Cleric and Druid (because Wild Shape mitigates the negative Stat Mods). 0LA and +6 Wis =
    Only thing that worried me was 5 ft. land speed, and average maneuverability on flight speed. Dungeon corridors would be this character's bane. Then again, that what physically stronger allies are for, isn't it? Just perch yourself on the Warforged's shoulder, or hold onto his back with your tiny claws.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Only thing that worried me was 5 ft. land speed, and average maneuverability on flight speed. Dungeon corridors would be this character's bane. Then again, that what physically stronger allies are for, isn't it? Just perch yourself on the Warforged's shoulder, or hold onto his back with your tiny claws.
    The current fashion in our group is to hide people in the warforged's chest compartment.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Disguise Self as a Bat. Have the Rogue wear robes over his armor and perch on his shoulder. He makes bluff checks every time you cast a spell. Bam, you're a familiar and therefore cannot be targeted.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    The current fashion in our group is to hide people in the warforged's chest compartment.
    This gave me an awesome idea for my next Warforged character. He'll take Leadership, Jermlaine Cleric cohort, and the ugly little fey will simply live inside him, buffing as needed.

HELLZ YEAH BEST FEAT EVER

22. - Top - End - #22
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Can't do much about land speed, but the Improved Flight feat will get air maneuverability up to good, which is good enough for most purposes.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

23. - Top - End - #23

This gave me an awesome idea for my next Warforged character. He'll take Leadership, Jermlaine Cleric cohort, and the ugly little fey will simply live inside him, buffing as needed.

HELLZ YEAH BEST FEAT EVER
    Cleric? I think you mean Artificer!
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    Cleric? I think you mean Artificer!
    Makes sense, but then I wouldn't benefit from the extremely high Jermlaine wisdom.

Are there any tiny LA+0 classes that could work for this? Maybe a kobold could work thanks to Slight Build.

I'm trying to come up with some good combinations here. Warforged Warblade with live-in Kobold Artificer? Warforged Artificer with live-in Jermlaine cleric? How about a Warforged Warblade with a live-in kobold warlock throwing his Eldritch Blasts through murder holes in the warforged's chest plating?

EDIT: I wonder how shapechanging / Tenser's Transformation or others would affect the little guy living inside my body.

EDIT2: I like the idea of an Eldritch Glaive Warlock (Warforged) with an artificer kobold cohort living inside him. You're playing a so-so tier 4 class rendered nigh unstoppable by a very large array of buffs from a cheesy tier 1 caster who, for all intent and purpose, is unkillable and unstoppable as long as you stay alive.
    Last edited by Grushvak; 2009-11-05 at 03:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Xvarts have LA: -2. I can't recall their book, though.
    trill in da playground

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anatharon View Post
    Xvarts have LA: -2. I can't recall their book, though.
    They are from dragon 339 though I recall that being a mistake where someone copied the NPC class CR adjustment instead of the LA.
    Last edited by olentu; 2009-11-05 at 08:09 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

You'd need to penalize spells and wildshape somehow. Or have a no-caster clause. Or, I dunno, give a -4 or -6 to con. "I can cast solid fog at level 6 but I have 10 hit points." EDIT: Hmm, but in a high stats game it wouldn't be such a big deal.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-11-05 at 08:22 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    None that I know of, but if it diod exist...1/2 Orcs!

29. - Top - End - #29

Makes sense, but then I wouldn't benefit from the extremely high Jermlaine wisdom.

Are there any tiny LA+0 classes that could work for this? Maybe a kobold could work thanks to Slight Build.

I'm trying to come up with some good combinations here. Warforged Warblade with live-in Kobold Artificer? Warforged Artificer with live-in Jermlaine cleric? How about a Warforged Warblade with a live-in kobold warlock throwing his Eldritch Blasts through murder holes in the warforged's chest plating?

EDIT: I wonder how shapechanging / Tenser's Transformation or others would affect the little guy living inside my body.

EDIT2: I like the idea of an Eldritch Glaive Warlock (Warforged) with an artificer kobold cohort living inside him. You're playing a so-so tier 4 class rendered nigh unstoppable by a very large array of buffs from a cheesy tier 1 caster who, for all intent and purpose, is unkillable and unstoppable as long as you stay alive.
    There must be some way to have tiny warforged.
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    There must be some way to have tiny warforged.
    Are there any templates that give the Giant type? That would do it.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.