New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [Fighter] feat modification

I was thinking, one of the (many) problems with fighters is the lack of versatility of their feats. Weapon Focus and such simply don't cut it. However, if you changed those feats to, for fighters with the requisite levels, they applied to ALL weapons that you're proficient with, would that help?

Obviously, this is FAR from a cureall. I'm quite aware of the fighter's other problems, including lack of mobility, combat options, out-of-combat options...
    Formerly known as Cariyaga.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [Fighter] feat modification

All weapons seems a little overkill. I've been using weapon groups to do more or less the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Lower levels arcane spells are usually a drag, but lower level psionic powers are often just higher ones waiting to be augmented.

3. - Top - End - #3

Overkill with feats that give +1 to hit and +2 to damage? I think I can live with that. :P

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

No, it wouldn't help. When you're attacking with your greatsword you don't really care that your axe also gets a +1 because, well, you're attacking with your greatsword.
    http://www.dnd-wiki.org -- the Dungeons and Dragons Wiki.
    The only good spell point system you will ever see.

I'm good at rating things. If you want me to tell you how you can improve your homebrew, PM me a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surgo View Post
    No, it wouldn't help. When you're attacking with your greatsword you don't really care that your axe also gets a +1 because, well, you're attacking with your greatsword.
    But if for some reason the fighter in theory were to divide his efforts between melee and ranged attacks, it would help a little to have both of his main weapons boosted by the same feat. It's obviously, as stated, not a perfect fix, but it does help with the versatility of the fighter.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Would it help a bit? Of course. Much in the same way that giving a homeless man a dollar helps. He has a bit more, but not enough to make the field anywhere near even.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Would it help a bit? Of course. Much in the same way that giving a homeless man a dollar helps. He has a bit more, but not enough to make the field anywhere near even.
    Well, yeah, but making fighters equivalent to casters? Not my realm of expertise. :P

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cute_Riolu View Post
    Well, yeah, but making fighters equivalent to casters? Not my realm of expertise. :P
    Well, to be honest, it wouldn't even push him up a tier. Heck, it wouldn't even make me want to take the feats.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Well, to be honest, it wouldn't even push him up a tier. Heck, it wouldn't even make me want to take the feats.
    I know it wouldn't do anything for his tier. But what COULD make you take those feats? Maybe instead of generalizing with them, you get special abilities on a weapon that get better...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

This makes no sense, fluff-wise, I'm sorry to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    This makes no sense, fluff-wise, I'm sorry to say.
    In the original sense of Weapon Focus, it doesn't.

In this version, you could easily fluff it as fighters gaining prowess in all weapons because of extensive training, rather than just one because they always use it (extensive training).
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

It dose not really give the fighter anything that pushes him up a teir nor dose it give him anything new. The best way to improve the fighter would be to give him more options other then just you know, hit something, hit it some more, hit it until it dies. Give them combat maneuvers and tactics and such. The Warblade ect.. classes do that well, and Tome of battle dose a good job with powering up melee as well.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I never understood why fighter bonus feats could only be picked from the fighter bonus feat list, and not the general list too. If fighter bonus feats were general bonus feats they would be much better. Fighters are about versatility yes?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: True Neutral Human Sorcerer (2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-19
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-13
    Charisma-8

Stone cold love to Nevitan, kudos for the Avatar.