New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Homebrewer Community Chat Thread

For all that delicious meta-brew discussion! This thread was suggested by Morph Bark in TheWombatOfDoom's So You Want to Make a Homebrew thread. If you support having a stickied, centralized thread for general homebrew discussion, I'd suggest shooting Roland a PM asking him to sticky this thread. It'd be nice if it was a proper sticky as opposed to being added to the Notable Threads list, but that may be against policy.

Later on I hope to add useful links to things like ongoing competitions, compendiums, and guides.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Homebrewer Community Chat Thread

So, to get discussion flowing, what is everyone working on?

I'm not actively working on anything myself. I have two large things on the backburner, one being the Arcane classes (there's always more lores and rituals to be done), the other is a complete re-write of Etherworld, my campaign setting. I'm fearing that one is turning into a monster, it's 40 pages long so far, and I have so much more I want to add to it. I don't think anyone will ever read it all.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm working on several things, myself.

1. Typing up the last bits of my Conceptualist class
    2. My Fourthland game, bit by bit
    3. Juggling ideas around from half-finished bloodline work. Things like bloodine feats, PrCs and another Base Class. Not sure if any will be refined enough to post.

And of course I'm running a minecraft RP server now, so that's taking some of my brew-time.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have a huge homebrew to-do list involving my various projects...

Currently I'm working on brainstorming the warcrafter.
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Hi, I'm Morph Bark the Tierer and I approve this thread.

Spoiler
    Show
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am working on an almost complete system overhaul of 3.5 to hopefully get everyone more balanced. It will be things like giving the martial and expert classes maneuvers while removing partial casting (it doesn't sit well with me to have half-casters), changing several spells to rituals that anyone can use if they know them (also would explain why kings don't simply hire clerics to revive them when assassinated), spell revisions, as well as other more minor things (such as removing sorcerer in favor of limited list casters).

Actually, I'm at a roadblock on two points for now: The wizard will no longer receive bonus spells in their spellbook simply due to leveling up, so the thought is to either: they all know the summon monster line by heart and can cast those much like a druid can use SNA, or to create school 'domains' with school specific spells (ie, only an evoker can cast fireball) and have those be spontaneous.

The other one would be that I am trying to think of a fifth divine caster. So far I have:
    Cleric: has a prayerbook like the wizard's spellbook. Knows all spells from selected domains and can use those spontaneously instead of cure/inflict.
    Druid: prayerbook like cleric. Knows SNA and can use those spontaneously.
    Healer: spontaneous limited list caster that focuses on healing, buffing, and non-damaging spells.
    Shaman: spontaneous limited list caster that focuses on the four elements.

I'm also working on various things to help keep my mind fresh while working on this. In fact, I am almost done with a new martial discipline and will be posting it soon.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

That sounds like a lot of work, Gunblade! Good luck with that. Maybe the last time can be a "summoner"?

I'm currently considering what to homebrew for Troll Brau's latest competition. Thinking about captain planet, or working on some race or monster 'brews from one show or the other.

Also working on a homebrew called 'Arcane Artist'. I'm really excited about this one.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I am completely occupied with setting. I want the setting to stand on it's own legs without being held up by specific RPG mechanics. And with D&D 5th edition slowly but steadily taking shape I suspended statting monsters and creating new magic mechanics entirely for the time being.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

9. - Top - End - #9

Nice Thread you guys have here, lemme join in on da Fun!

Currently Im working on adding more material for my Gaoler of Frostflame class, namely an Elemental Summoning Path, which should be ready and aviable for PEACHing later today.
    I also have 2 new magic systems for my Iugon campain setting in the Concept Phase:

Soul Magic:
    Magic that has various effects depending on HD, alignment, race and gender. Usable a number of times per creature per day, instead of just a fixed number per day. Involves buffing, damage and illusions probably. (Ripping somebodies soul appart ftw!)

Insanity Magic: Magic that grows stronger the more Wisdom and Charisma damage you take. 2 types of Spells: Induce Spells and Insane Spells. Induce spells give you Wis or Cha damage and Insane Spells become stronger the more Wis and Cha damage you have. Also, you can cast Insane Spells a number of times per day equal to the number of point of damage you've taken.

These 2 magic thingies are both very rough as I thought them up yesterday. I'm most excited about the Insanity Magic, as I haven't seen a good magic system based on mental ability damage and madness yet.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

10. - Top - End - #10

Well I'm currently working on the Spellbound, speaking of which I haven't updated it for a while. I'm hoping to get a chance to take a second look at the burst effects, some of them seem a little weak right now.

And after that, well...........

Spoiler
    Show

Finish the Protege of the Iron Dragon. I really need to get to this at some point, it doesn't need much more.

Re-work my Dual-Heritage Disciple to be open to all races and a general rework.

Enter the current PRC contest. I don't know what I'm going to do. Seriously.

Finish my Armorsworn - I've been working on and off this project for a long time. Gotta finish it up at some point.

Finish the 2 spellshaper base classes I've started.

Work on my new magic system for gishes.

Finish the Spellshape Circles I started, Liquid Metal and Nature's Claw.

And finish the many Prc's and Base class I currently have on my laptop.

I think that's everything. Not daunting at all

And note, this list is in no particular order.
    homebrew

Interesting Stuff: Spellshapers, Metroid as Incarnum

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Bindin, this is why I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamshifter View Post
    ...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

11. - Top - End - #11

I just had a small idea.

Earlier, years ago, I proposed making Weapon Focus, weapon specialization and it's follow-up feats skills instead of feats. Choose a weapon group, invest skill points, gain +1 to hit per three skill points and +1 to damage per two skill points.
    Now I had the idea to expand upon that. Make combat maneuvers skill checks as well. A disarm skill, a grapple skill, a trip skill, etc., with more complicated combat maneuvers as higher DC skill checks (beat your enemy by 10 points on the grapple skill check, he becomes pinned. DC 30: your enemy can not use his hands while grappled). The Improved X feats would now simply become "trained - untrained", at least as far as provoking attacks of opportunity is concerned.
    The goal being, of course, taking away some of the feat tax fighters and their allies suffer, and taking away some of the more boring feats. They would all gain a lot more skill points (probably 8+ for the fighter).

Do you think this would be worth properly writing up?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I just had a small idea.

Earlier, years ago, I proposed making Weapon Focus, weapon specialization and it's follow-up feats skills instead of feats. Choose a weapon group, invest skill points, gain +1 to hit per three skill points and +1 to damage per two skill points.
    Now I had the idea to expand upon that. Make combat maneuvers skill checks as well. A disarm skill, a grapple skill, a trip skill, etc., with more complicated combat maneuvers as higher DC skill checks (beat your enemy by 10 points on the grapple skill check, he becomes pinned. DC 30: your enemy can not use his hands while grappled). The Improved X feats would now simply become "trained - untrained", at least as far as provoking attacks of opportunity is concerned.
    The goal being, of course, taking away some of the feat tax fighters and their allies suffer, and taking away some of the more boring feats. They would all gain a lot more skill points (probably 8+ for the fighter).

Do you think this would be worth properly writing up?
    My worry would be that people would be inclined to invest all their skill points in direct combat things, when skills are really the only out-of-combat functionality that 90% of noncasting classes have. I like the general idea, though, and I think I've seen a variant some 'brewers have tried that gives characters Prowess points, either based on class or on BAB, which are invested in such a way.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I've actually been a little quiet on GitP lately, mostly due to how much work i've been putting into '3.U', my own little D&D rewrite (some of which can be seen in my sig). I have the majority of the framework hammered out now and ive moved onto some early testing and tweaking, as well as having a hard look at ToB maneuvers and vancian magic. Unfortunately my own alternatives to vancian have so far proven less elegant than i hoped by the upside is that 3.U is rather simple in play so far, though not quite as refined as i'd like.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    My worry would be that people would be inclined to invest all their skill points in direct combat things, when skills are really the only out-of-combat functionality that 90% of noncasting classes have. I like the general idea, though, and I think I've seen a variant some 'brewers have tried that gives characters Prowess points, either based on class or on BAB, which are invested in such a way.
    Hm. Prowess points. Yes, I've seen those. Fax Celestis introduced them first, I believe? Should they be a separate resource from skill points? Many of them already have combat applications. (Tumble, stealth, perception).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hm. Prowess points. Yes, I've seen those. Fax Celestis introduced them first, I believe? Should they be a separate resource from skill points? Many of them already have combat applications. (Tumble, stealth, perception).
    Definitely separate. You want to encourage skill use, not have a system that allows you to sacrifice skills for more combat utility. Hell...I'd make the combat uses of skills separate from skill points before I'd use one resource for combat bonuses AND skills.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

16. - Top - End - #16

Right. I must admit that I'm not the best person to ask there, as I wouldn't invest skill points into combat power anyway.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, another big 3.75-type project here... started off as sort of a new core using a bunch of my own 'brew, but has started expanding... trying to hold down the scale, though; I don't want to rewrite too many fundamental rules, but it might wind up that way :S. I'm also looking at a distinct Civilization vs Savagery theme, partly because an awful lot of classes fall along that axis, and partly to give my rewrite a bit of fluff all its own.

Class-wise, look out for a new Rogue fix, possibly hybridizing with the Factotum; a possible scout/ranger merging; possibly a slightly tweaked Bard/Savage Bard (which is tier 3, but really needs splatbooks to make it work); and maybe a generic gish class that can replace the Duskblade, Hexblade, and things of that nature.

Also, still working on my own super-rules-light system, STaRS.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2012-09-24 at 12:38 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

That reminds me of something I thought of a while ago. Why not the Playground Brewers get together and try to create a definitive fix for 3.5? It'd be a huge job and there'd be tons of differing opinions, but I think we could pull it off. Thoughts?

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    That reminds me of something I thought of a while ago. Why not the Playground Brewers get together and try to create a definitive fix for 3.5? It'd be a huge job and there'd be tons of differing opinions, but I think we could pull it off. Thoughts?
    I dunno... I suspect there may be too much disagreement about methods, but it would certainly be cool to try. One thread to gather people, work out core mechanics first, then do classes... might need captains of some sort to make executive decisions... hmm...
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

20. - Top - End - #20

Yeah, that. I mean, just look at how many Paladin or monk fixes there are. How many people want to axe vancian casting entirely. Nevermind disagreements over power level.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

And let's not forget about the 200 fighter fixes.

However, I am genuinely intrigued in such an endevour.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, I'd certainly be down to try.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Alright. Who'd be up for it? Discussion would have to start at the basics.

Organization: How do we decide what gets in or not? Who brews what?
    Basics: Power level, mechanics, class archetypes?
    Design goals: versatility? Balance?
    How close to 3.5? Just rebalance? Completely redo? Legend?
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-09-24 at 01:09 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, isn't that basically what Legend did?

But yeah, lots of rewrites. And that linked thread doesn't even have half of them.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Organization: How do we decide what gets in or not? Who brews what?
    Everyone can have input. Those who are willing to commit to the project should put a tag in their signatures. But for who does the actual 'brewing... pretty sure we need captains of some sort, elected or otherwise. I do collaborative writing pretty regularly-- a college radio drama-- and group brainstorming is great, but there needs to be someone yelling at people to stay on topic, people to flesh out parts once the broad strokes are finished, and one or more people to make sure everything's integrated.

Basics: Power level, mechanics, class archetypes?
    Design goals: versatility? Balance?
    How close to 3.5? Just rebalance? Completely redo? Legend?
    That'd be the first discussion, wouldn't it? I favor "re-balance when possible, rebuild when necessary." Like, as close to 3.5 as we can get it while keeping things balanced.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Wait, isn't that basically what Legend did?

But yeah, lots of rewrites. And that linked thread doesn't even have half of them.
    I don't like Legend for... a variety of reasons, shall we say.

But yes, there's many good rebuilds already out there. But then, if we can get people on board, they can bring in their old ideas.

As for re-balance vs. redo... I would promote a few bigger changes, actually. More options for all classes. Perhaps even an inclusion of Tome of Battle maneuvers into the basic book.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I similarly am a fan of the "Rebalance when possible, redo when necessary" policy. But as per Eldan, 3.5 has some serious problems that aren't to be fixed by simple tweaks and rewrites.

I also like the idea of having captains to direct things. I doubt much will get accomplished otherwise.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Well, anyone volunteering for Captaincy? And we should probably get our own thread for that.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

But yes, there's many good rebuilds already out there. But then, if we can get people on board, they can bring in their old ideas.
    Sure.

As for re-balance vs. redo... I would promote a few bigger changes, actually. More options for all classes. Perhaps even an inclusion of Tome of Battle maneuvers into the basic book.
    More options, for sure-- one of the coolest parts of 3.5 is all the tasty little subsystems that can make two classes feel so differently. On the other hand, I feel like the closer we are to "classic" 3.5, the easier it will be to spread things, and the easier it will be to convert spells and prestige classes and the like. I mean, most of the game's biggest problems-- Tier 1 casters, under-appreciated melee, and the like-- are right there in the PHB. Fix that, and everything else instantly becomes so much more usable.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, anyone volunteering for Captaincy? And we should probably get our own thread for that.
    Before we get into captains, perhaps we should determine what we need captains OF? How do we plan to divide this? How will we ensure that despite the number of participants, it maintains a cohesive feel?

(I'm interested in being a Captain, but we may want to discuss a nomination/voting system for those)

And yes, I think we are quickly nearing the need for a separate thread.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show