New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default What do you think us nonadventurer sorts use magic for anyway? [3.5 spells: PEACH]

If humanoidkind possesses magical powers great enough to stop time, raise the dead, and make people explode, it seems that at least a few kind souls would take the time to tailor some magic for the common good -or the leisure of the rich. Thus, I present some homebrewed spells reflecting that particular idea. Expect more to come!

EDIT: An index to the spells in this thread now! All are mine except as noted.

Create Source of Water
    Conjuration (Creation) [Water]
    Level: Clr 4, Drd 4
    Components: V, S, M, XP
    Casting Time: 1 hour
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Effect: Permanent source of water (see text)
    Duration: Permanent
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No
    This spell generates a source of wholesome, drinkable water, just like clean rain water. This source must be located inside a stationary receptacle designed for water storage, such as a well. This spell cannot be cast upon a channel, aqueduct, or other object which serves as a channel rather than a storage location for water.
    Upon casting, this spell can create up to 1,000 gallons of fresh water. No matter how large the receptacle, the water will never exceed 1,000 gallons. For smaller receptacles, the caster may instead chose to fill them halfway (or to the brim, or whatever volume they so wish) and the corresponding number of gallons, so long as it doesn’t exceed 1,000 gallons. If water is removed from the receptacle, it replenishes at the rate of one gallon per round, but never to more than its original volume.
    Note: Conjuration spells can’t create substances or objects within a creature. Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon. One cubic foot of water contains roughly 8 gallons and weighs about 60 pounds.
    Material component: A flask of fresh water from the Elemental Plane of Water (500 gp).
    XP cost: 1,000 xp.

Dye Hair
    Transmutation
    Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 minute
    Range: Touch
    Target: One creature touched
    Saving Throw: None (harmless)
    Duration: Instantaneous
    You dye the hair of your target any color of your choosing. It may be an unnatural shade such as pink or blue if you so desire, but you cannot create patterns or do anything more complex in the coloring that subtle highlights. If you do not maintain contact with the subject’s hair with at least one hand for the entire casting time, the spell fails. This spell can only be used to dye hair (such as that on a humanoid’s head), not scales, skin, fur, feathers, or other substances or surfaces. This spell can be used on a region of body hair or facial hair if so desired; the caster specifies the location of the hair and keeps their hand on that region for the duration of the spell. This spell cannot dye all of one’s body hair and the hair on one’s head at the same time; that would require two separate castings of the spell. Any new hair that grows in after the casting is the natural hair color of the individual, not the color given from this spell, as mundane hair-dying works.
    Material component: A drop of plant-based dye.
    Last edited by The Neoclassic; 2009-08-09 at 08:37 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What do you think us nonadventurer sorts use magic for anyway? [3.5 spells: PEACH

I bet Create Source of Water could be fun if you cast it on a container that could let water out to fuel a waterwheel, leading to free power of a kind.

Perhaps if you put the Source in a metal barrel, and heated the barrel, you could get a steam engine going.

Seems like it's an artificer's wet dream.

Also, I approve of this spell and this idea. Can't wait to see any others you think up.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: What do you think us nonadventurer sorts use magic for anyway? [3.5 spells: PEACH

Quote Originally Posted by The Neoclassic View Post
    Dye Hair
    Transmutation
    Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
    Target: One creature touched
    Harmless? HARMLESS?!? ARE YOU KIDDING? THAT COULD CAUSE UNTOLD MENTAL PROBLEMS.

I like these, if my brain were working right now, I'd throw a few ideas at you.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Other than the fact dye hair should probably be a cantrip, I can't find fault with them.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

5. - Top - End - #5

Thanks for the positive feedback! Since dye hair would be virtually impossible to use in combat or for anything combat-related, I think I'll take your advice and reduce it to being a cantrip. The steam engine idea is interesting, though hopefully that wouldn't lead to too much abuse...

Aesthetic Restoration
    Conjuration (Healing)
    Level: Clr 1, Brd 1
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Target: Creature touched
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
    Aesthetic restoration restores a creature’s body to its natural state of beauty by removing all unwanted scars, tattoos, and former holes of piercings. It cannot fix any problem which directly relates to a creature’s ability to function; in other words, it cannot restore digits to a finger, mend a broken foot, or calm an inflamed sore. This spell does not heal any hit point or ability damage, nor can it fix disfigurements from birth nor changes from the natural aging process. Large portions of badly burned or otherwise harmed skin, if the target no longer is taking damage from them, can be restored to fresh, new skin. If a target’s body hair has been dyed or removed, this spell can restore it to its natural state, though it cannot change it to a new (not their natural) state or color.
    If this is cast on a person who is bald due to genetics or aging, they do not grow any new hair. However, if their hair had been shaved or burned off, the hair on their head can be grown back to any reasonable length (as determined by their species, genetics, & DM discretion), as specified by the caster.
    When casting this spell, the caster can chose to leave certain scars, tattoos, artificial coloration, or other aspects which might normally be repaired by this spell. If nothing is specified to remain the same, all of the aforementioned aesthetic changes occur (as applicable).
    Last edited by The Neoclassic; 2009-08-05 at 09:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Very good, especially the first one. The second one MIGHT be 2nd level if it is a perminant change to all new hair growing in that area, rather than being something that grows out like RL hair dye.

For the sake of cross referencing, let me put in a few links to some medically focused clerical spells that are much more useful to non-adventurers (although the lower level and highest level disease prevention stuff is stuff an adventurer might cast.).

C-Section Equivalent

Vaccination Equivalent
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Very good, especially the first one.
    Thanks! I like civilizations a little more civilized than a gritty medieval world, so having clean water more easily available made sense. Also, this way hopefully most people will have enough water so they can take regular sponge baths. No more smelly commoners!

The second one MIGHT be 2nd level if it is a perminant change to all new hair growing in that area, rather than being something that grows out like RL hair dye.
    I went and specified that it can't, so hopefully it'll stay a fair cantrip. Thanks for pointing out that possible loophole!

For the sake of cross referencing, let me put in a few links to some medically focused clerical spells that are much more useful to non-adventurers (although the lower level and highest level disease prevention stuff is stuff an adventurer might cast.).
    Ooooh.... I may have to inquire about using some of these in my setting when the right opportunity comes up. They look highly useful.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

I like these. They are useful and aren't silly like a lot of homebrew. Then again, I've always enjoyed Queenfange's work (or do you not like being called that anymore?)

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Froogleyboy View Post
    I like these. They are useful and aren't silly like a lot of homebrew.
    I'm flattered!

Then again, I've always enjoyed Queenfange's work (or do you not like being called that anymore?)
    Nah, I don't mind. I only changed my username because it had started to sound kind of silly to me. Though now my real life friend tells me that Neoclassic will make people think of art, rather than economics (what I was intending), so I guess I can't win.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Neoclassic View Post
    I'm flattered!

Nah, I don't mind. I only changed my username because it had started to sound kind of silly to me. Though now my real life friend tells me that Neoclassic will make people think of art, rather than economics (what I was intending), so I guess I can't win.
    It does make me think of art (Maybe it's because you mentioned it but I don't know)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

If it's any comfort, I thought of economics.

Aesthetic Restoration should probably be first level. it's just super prestidigitation.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    If it's any comfort, I thought of economics.
    It is.

Aesthetic Restoration should probably be first level. it's just super prestidigitation.
    Hmmm... Yeah, that makes sense. I mean, it's more powerful than prestidigation because it actually fixes a body's physical appearance (not just covers it up temporarily with illusions or such), but the lack of any actual numerical/game effects means that it won't be unreasonable as a first level spell.

And another one... This one I may need some help explaining clearly.

Invisible Opponent
    Transmutation
    Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
    Target: Board game touched
    Effect: One board game that can play itself
    Duration: Permanent
    Saving Throw: None
    You turn an ordinary (non-magical) chess board into a chess board which can play. When an individual encounters the chess board and speaks the correct word (as chosen by you at the timing of casting), the chess board’s magic is activated. The first game with the board is equivalent to playing against a grandmaster, but all subsequent games by that individual are far better matched to that person’s skill level. If they improve, so does the chess board. Essentially, it learns and mimics their approximate level of ability to provide the best possible playing experience. Should another person play against the chess board, they go through the same process; the board can remember up to five individuals. After that, the opponent furthest in the past is forgotten and they must go through the initial frighteningly difficult game.
    The game need not be specifically chess; any other nonmagical strategy board game can be similarly enchanted.
    Note: This spell does not actually give any bonus to or cause rise in ranks of skills, but for DMs who’d prefer that their players show some in-character effort towards raising a skill, this could be of great use. Otherwise, this spell would serve primarily for entertainment purposes, particularly for adventurers far from civilization or individuals otherwise temporarily seeking solitude.
    Material component: A sprinkle of amethyst dust (worth 50 gp).
    Last edited by The Neoclassic; 2009-08-08 at 10:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Animate Object is Transmutation, and I think it's a better usage, since you're also imbuing the board with a degree of intelligence.

14. - Top - End - #14

I really ought to sleep instead of working on all these spells. Last one for the evening, I suppose? This one I could see as having more adventurer use, but my original thought was it being useful for my setting's executioners. They're dedicated to the god of mercy, and this spell would aid them in empathizing with the condemned and helping them reach some level of inner peace before they're put to death.

Oh, and I'll go change that to transmutation. That makes far more sense. Thanks!

Empathy
    Divination [Mind-Affecting]
    Level: Brd 4, Clr 4, Pal 3, Sor/Wiz 5
    Components: V, S, F/DF
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Target: One humanoid creature touched
    Duration: Instantaneous (see text)
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    You focus on a particular decision or action taken by the target, such as their decision to leave their wife or their murder of an individual. You feel the echoes of their emotions as well as an understanding of their thought process behind the choice. If their choice was in part based on a misunderstanding or mistruth, you only see their version of events or their knowledge, not what the case actually was, but the subject cannot purposely think lies during this spell to mislead your divination. If you focus on an action or decision that wasn’t theirs to make or that they were solely a puppet for, you merely get a detached feeling. You can’t use this spell to figure out what a decision or action was, such as if they killed a certain person or where they hid a body. If you aren’t reasonably certain that they were the one who made the choice you were focusing on, even if they were in fact the correct person (such as if you have several suspects for a burglary), this spell fails.
    Arcane Focus: A silver piece.

Notes:
    I made this spell the same level as discern lies because it isn’t as broad, but with that one specific point it is more valuable. Still, this spell (shouldn’t) be able to let someone figure out where their enemies’ base is, it hopefully won’t be any more powerful; I don't want this to be blatantly used for crime-solving. I made the range touch rather than close, as that makes it somewhat more difficult and more oriented towards my initial ideas. I first thought of this spell being useful for a society that wishes to reduce its crime rate in the future, for counselors working with the rich & troubled, and for magically-talented lovers who seek a deeper degree of connection.
    Last edited by The Neoclassic; 2009-08-06 at 01:02 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, dye hair can be accomplished by prestidigitation. I just did it in a campaign recently.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Actually, dye hair can be accomplished by prestidigitation. I just did it in a campaign recently.
    I suppose it could... but prestidigation states that any changes to objects caused by it other than moving, cleaning, or dirtying them cease after one hour. Dye hair is permanent.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Empathy seems closer to Detect Thoughts than Discern Lies in many ways, but it is more active and targeted, so that makes it a bit of a hybrid.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

There's an old Druid 2 spell called Sweet Water that creates a 100' well of fresh water. Can't for the life of me remember where it's from, though. It could be in the Spell Compendium, which wouldn't surprise me.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    There's an old Druid 2 spell called Sweet Water that creates a 100' well of fresh water. Can't for the life of me remember where it's from, though. It could be in the Spell Compendium, which wouldn't surprise me.
    Sadly I don't own the Spell Compendium. Thanks though! It does make me wonder if maybe I should reduce the spell level of Create Source of Water down to 4, or even 3. Hmm....

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Empathy seems closer to Detect Thoughts than Discern Lies in many ways, but it is more active and targeted, so that makes it a bit of a hybrid.
    Aye. However, I think as far as potential power/usefulness, it'd be more along the lines of discern lies, hence the spell level.

Fire Retardant
    Abjuration
    Level: Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 3
    Casting Time: 10 minutes
    Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
    Target: One building or section of a building, up to 1,000 square feet per caster level
    Effect: Permanent fire immunity
    Duration: Permanent (D)
    You cast this spell upon a building or section of a building, with a floor span of no more than 1,000 square feet per caster level. All parts of the building, including shutters, doors, walls, window panes, stairs, floors, and roofs, gain immunity to mundane and magical fire. Items within the building, such as curtains and furniture, do not gain any fire resistance from this spell. In no way can this spell ever make a creature (alive, dead, or undead) immune to fire. If part of the building is made from bone or other creature-derived materials, it does gain immunity to fire; however if it (or any other substance which is part of the building) is removed, or if the building is demolished, the removed or demolished portions lose said immunity. Any part of the structure which remains intact does not lose its immunity.
    Material component: A small pearl from the Elemental Plane of Water (worth 500 gp).

Resistant Architecture
    Abjuration
    Level: Clr 6, Sor/Wiz 5
    Components: V, S, M, XP
    Casting Time: 10 minutes
    Target: One building or section of a building, up to 1,000 square feet per caster level
    Effect: Resistance to some energy types and weather (see below)
    Duration: Permanent (D)
    As fire retardant except as above and as follows. Instead of an immunity to fire, the building gains a resistance of 30 to mundane and magical fire, acid, and sonic damage. It also gains an immunity to any damage, structural or aesthetic, from natural (not directly magical) weather. A storm magically created directly above the building could affect it, but if a storm was begun from an unrelated spell elsewhere, the latter would count as not directly magical and hence the building would be immune. The building can still get wet or snowy, for example, but the rainwater would not cause rusting of any metal on its outer surfaces.
    Material component: A diamond from the Elemental Plane of Earth (worth 5,000 gp).
    XP: 1,000 xp.
    Last edited by The Neoclassic; 2009-08-07 at 08:53 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Some grammar confusion on Fire Retardant; if a part is removed, does only that part lose its fire resistance, or does the whole thing?

I checked and couldn't find a Sweet Water druid spell in Spell Comp.

21. - Top - End - #21

Some grammar confusion on Fire Retardant; if a part is removed, does only that part lose its fire resistance, or does the whole thing?
    Ah, that was unclear. Hopefully now it's clarified! (Only the part that's removed or destroyed loses the immunity; basically I don't want people taking stuff out of the building and using it to make new items with immunity to fire, which could get overpowered if done cleverly, I think.)

22. - Top - End - #22

Agreed. That's what I thought, but it's best to be clear.

I think Resistant Architecture is, again, too weak for its level. Possibly Flame Retardant too, though it's not a big problem there. Remember that at 8th level spells, you are capable of insta-casting cryogenic sleep on someone or making an entire mass of people insane.

What I would do is make lower level versions of both that only affect mundane (3rd and 5th level), then higher level versions that affect magical as well (5th and 7th) but with full immunity in both cases. Also put a (D) on the duration in case the Wizard wants to burn his own place down.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Interesting concept, I think I'll pitch in.

Contain Fertility
    Transmutation
    Level: Clr 3, Drd 3
    Target: One living creature
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates(if target unwilling or unaware)
    Spell Resistance: Yes(usually harmless)
    Several golden sparks appear around the target which slowly travel to a glass bead. Afterwards, the bead glows slightly.

By using this spell, you transfer someone's fertility into a small glass bead. From that point on, the subject cannot become pregnant(if female) or cannot impregnate others(if male).

Shattering the bead reverses the effect.

Material component: A glass bead inscribed with runes.

Now that's a useful spell.

Also, I can just see scheming nobles who use this spell on a king or another competing noble to keep him heir less and to take over.
    Last edited by grautry; 2009-08-06 at 04:52 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

That is wickedly brilliant, grautry. You must have been a scheming noble in a past life.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

That is wickedly brilliant, grautry. You must have been a scheming noble in a past life.
    Thank you.

I was unsure what level, exactly, to give to it but I figure that the Instantaneous duration bumps it up quite a lot in usefulness, both positive as well as destructive.

I thought of developing the concept a bit(create spell that transfers fertility from the bead to another person) but I figured that while this may have some plot-hooking potential - nobles making shady deals for beads harvested from peasants, desperate kings depriving whole villages of their fertility and so on, I figured that the almost-irreversible nature of the original spell is probably scarier.

26. - Top - End - #26

Hey, two for one. If it's ingested, the fertility is transferred to the person who ingested it, instead. Get more productive peasants while simultaneously crippling an entire enemy line of nobles. 2-for-1!

I'll let you figure out what happens if the wrong sex ingests a bead, though.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Hey, two for one. If it's ingested, the fertility is transferred to the person who ingested it, instead. Get more productive peasants while simultaneously crippling an entire enemy line of nobles. 2-for-1!

I'll let you figure out what happens if the wrong sex ingests a bead, though.
    What I meant is that if there's no way to reverse it then the whole deal becomes way scarier(doesn't really matter if it's a separate spell).

If it's reversible, then the king - or an affected noble - will just find a way to acquire one, harvested from a peasant or a someone who's dying soon(or someone who doesn't want to have kids/more kids for that matter). If, on the other hand, it's irreversible(or needs heavy-duty magic, like Wish or Miracle to reverse it) then the spell can cripple a royal family very seriously.

I guess it's which plot hook do you want to use - king looking for the bead or stopping an evil black market of the stuff.

28. - Top - End - #28

There's still some potential for that if it's transferable (that's not really the royal child! It lacks the royal red hair!) but I see what you're saying.

Either way, cool idea.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grautry View Post
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
    Generally, one should specify the type of saving throw that is used.

Also, the part about unwilling is probably unnecessary, as I believe that you can choose to fail a save.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Generally, one should specify the type of saving throw that is used.

Also, the part about unwilling is probably unnecessary, as I believe that you can choose to fail a save.
    Yeah, I forgot about the type of save(was mostly thinking of Spell Resistance when I wrote it). This was also a last minute addition when I thought of the scheming nobles. I'll leave the unwilling/unaware part just in case.
    Last edited by grautry; 2009-08-06 at 04:51 PM.