New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default I cant Believe its Not Druid (Its a monk) (Pseudobrew) [Peach]

Fluff: No, im not dealing with the identity of this monstrosity, this WAS a monk, now its the glorious Lawful lovechild of a Barbarian and Druid.

I Did not create any of this material, it is all from First and Second party sources for DnD.

Alignment: Any Lawful or Any Chaotic
    Hit Die: 1d8

The Monk
    Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Armor Bonus Movement Speed
    1st +0 +2 +2 +2 Rage 1/day, Unarmed Strike, Wisdom to AC +0 +0
    2nd +1 +3 +3 +3 Invisible Fist (Invisbility) +0 +0
    3rd +2 +3 +3 +3 Resist Natures Lure +0 +10
    4th +3 +4 +4 +4 Rage 2/day, Sacred Strike (1+Wisdom mod)/day +0 +10
    5th +3 +4 +4 +4 Purity of Body, Wildshape 1/Day +1 +10
    6th +4 +5 +5 +5 +1 +20
    7th +5 +5 +5 +5 Wholeness of Others +1 +20
    8th +6/+1 +6 +6 +6 Wildshape 2/Day, Rage 3/day +1 +20
    9th +6/+1 +6 +6 +6 Invisible Fist (Blink) +1 +30
    10th +7/+2 +7 +7 +7 Sacred Strike (Stun), Wildshape 3/day +2 +30
    11th +8/+3 +7 +7 +7 Diamond body, Greater Rage +2 +30
    12th +9/+4 +8 +8 +8 Wildshape (large), Rage 4/day +2 +40
    13th +9/+4 +8 +8 +8 Diamond Soul +2 +40
    14th +10/+5 +9 +9 +9 Wild Shape 4/day +2 +40
    15th +11/+6/+1 +9 +9 +9 Wildshape (tiny) +3 +50
    16th +12/+7/+2 +10 +10 +10 Sacred Strike (Blind), Wildshape (Huge), Rage 5/day +3 +50
    17th +12/+7/+2 +10 +10 +10 Timeless Body, Tongue of the Sun and Moons +3 +50
    18th +13/+8/+3 +11 +11 +11 Wild Shape 5/day +3 +60
    19th +14/+9/+4 +11 +11 +11 Wild Shape into Elemental 1/ Day +3 +60
    20th +15/+10/+5 +12 +12 +12 Perfect Self, Wildshape 6/day, Mighty Rage, Wild Shape into Elemental 2/ Day, Rage 6/day +4 +60

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex).
    Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Class Abilities:
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Monks are proficient with club, crossbow (light or heavy), dagger, handaxe, javelin, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, siangham, and sling.
    Monks are not proficient with any armor or shields.
    When wearing armor, using a shield, or carrying a medium or heavy load, a monk loses her AC bonus, as well as her fast movement and flurry of blows abilities.

AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).
    These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

Rage (Ex): A monk can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day. In a rage, a monk temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but she takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase in Constitution increases the monk’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when her Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.) While raging, a monk cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can she cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved)Constitution modifier. A monk may prematurely end her rage. At the end of the rage, the monk loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (–2 penalty to Strength, –2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter.
    This ability counts as Barbarian rage for the purposes of Alternate class features

Unarmed Strike: At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.
    Usually a monk’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.
    A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.
    A monk also deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would, as shown on Table: The Monk. The unarmed damage on Table: The Monk is for Medium monks. A Small monk deals less damage than the amount given there with her unarmed attacks, while a Large monk deals more damage..

Invisible Fist (Su): Beginning at second level, as an immediate Action, a Monk may become invisible for 1 round. She must wait 3 rounds before she can use this ability again.

At 9th level, the monk may use Blink, as the spell, for a number of rounds equal to her wisdom modifier (minimum 1). She must wait 3 rounds before using this ability again.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 3rd level, a monk gains an enhancement bonus to her speed, as shown on Table: The Monk. A monk in armor or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed.

Resist Nature's Lure (Su) :Starting at 3rd level, a monk gains a +4 bonus on saving throws against the spell-like abilities of fey.

Sacred Strike (Su): Beginning at 4th level, a monk may smite the enemies of her faith 1+Wisdom mod times per day. Her attack gains her charisma modifier to hit, and if sucessful, she deals 1 point of damage per monk level. Enemies who share the monk's alignment are not effected by this ability.

At 10th level, your sacred strike improves, and successful smites stun the target for 1 round (Willsave negates, DC 10 + Wisdom modifier + Half monk level)

At 16th level, your sacred strike improves again, and successful smites blind the target for 1d8 round (Willsave negates, DC 10 + Wisdom modifier + Half monk level)

Purity of Body (Ex): At 5th level, a monk gains immunity to all diseases except for supernatural and magical diseases.

Wildshape (Su): At level, treat as druid ability, but gained when the table says.

Wholeness of Others (Su): At 7th level or higher, a monk with a Wisdom of 12 or higher can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch. Each day she can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to her monk level × her wisdom bonus. A monk may choose to divide her healing among multiple recipients, and she doesn’t have to use it all at once. Using Wholeness of Others is a standard action.

Diamond Body (Su): At 11th level, a monk gains immunity to poisons of all kinds.

Greater Rage (Ex): At 11th level, a monk's bonuses to Strength and Constitution during her rage each increase to +6, and her morale bonus on Will saves increases to +3. The penalty to AC remains at –2.

Diamond Soul (Ex): At 13th level, a monk gains spell resistance equal to her current monk level + 10. In order to affect the monk with a spell, a spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the monk’s spell resistance.

Timeless Body (Ex): Upon attaining 17th level, a monk no longer takes penalties to her ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that she has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when her time is up.

Tongue of the Sun and Moon (Ex): A monk of 17th level or higher can speak with any living creature.

Mighty Rage (Ex): At 20th level, a monk’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during her rage each increase to +8, and her morale bonus on Will saves increases to +4. The penalty to AC remains at –2.

Perfect Self: At 20th level, a monk becomes a magical creature. She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the monk gains damage reduction 10/magic, which allows her to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonmagical weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction. Unlike other outsiders, the monk can still be brought back from the dead as if she were a member of her previous creature type
    Last edited by toapat; 2015-02-05 at 11:34 AM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: I cant Believe its Not Druid (Its a monk) (Pseudobrew) [3.5][Peach]

A L Druid that focuses on martial prowess over spells?

And damn... That's how you use ACFs.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    A L Druid that focuses on martial prowess over spells?

And damn... That's how you use ACFs.
    ya, and this is 4 ACFs.

there would have been more if they were not all invalidated by eachother within the first 2 that also account for 90% of the power increase.

Honestly, i dont know if this class is T3, its definitely Extremely high T4 at worst because it has litterally everything except Sneak attack.

Theres even a varient that gives sneak attack. But i restrict this line to technically legal within limits.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

replaced Evasion/Improved with Invisible Fist

Drow avatar @ myself

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

If you don't mind my asking, what builds went into this?
    The cool avatar is by kPenguin

Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_C. View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, what builds went into this?
    which ACFs?

Wild Monk
    Raging Monk
    Sacred Strike and Wholeness of Others
    Invisible fist.

Drow avatar @ myself

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Can Raging Monk chain into Barbarian ACFs? I noticed the line about conting as barbarian rage...

"This ability counts as Barbarian rage for the purposes of Alternate class features"

In other words, can the monk take whirlpounce?
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2014-03-11 at 02:12 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Can Raging Monk chain into Barbarian ACFs? I noticed the line about conting as barbarian rage...

"This ability counts as Barbarian rage for the purposes of Alternate class features"

In other words, can the monk take whirlpounce?
    only Rage ACFs, Pounce still needs 2 levels of barbarian

Drow avatar @ myself

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Could this variant be combined with Chaos Monk or a variant that makes it TN?

Also, out of curiosity, why can't the Sidewinder Monk, or at least its Sneak attack be worked in? (note: Sneak Attack & Earthbound seems to replace Still Mind and Slow Fall progression).
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2014-03-11 at 11:02 AM.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    Could this variant be combined with Chaos Monk or a variant that makes it TN?

Also, out of curiosity, why can't the Sidewinder Monk, or at least its Sneak attack be worked in? (note: Sneak Attack & Earthbound seems to replace Still Mind and Slow Fall progression).
    because Sidewinder would be removed by Wild, While chaos monk for all intents and purposes is available but all the benefits are already eaten by Wildshape + Raging.

and the reason being when i do this it has to be reasonably legal for the ACF stacking. the only conflict between the 5 applied is between raging and wild monks, because both remove Still mind.
    Last edited by toapat; 2014-03-11 at 11:35 AM.

Drow avatar @ myself

11. - Top - End - #11

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    because Sidewinder would be removed by Wild, While chaos monk for all intents and purposes is available but all the benefits are already eaten by Wildshape + Raging.

and the reason being when i do this it has to be reasonably legal for the ACF stacking. the only conflict between the 5 applied is between raging and wild monks, because both remove Still mind.
    Ah, I see.

What takes out slow fall?
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2014-03-11 at 11:39 AM.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, I see.

What takes out slow fall?
    Wild Monk, because you dont need it when you can wildshape into an eagle

Drow avatar @ myself

13. - Top - End - #13

RedWizardGuy

Wild Monk, because you dont need it when you can wildshape into an eagle
    Okay.

Also, how can Raging Monk stack with Wild Monk when both remove Still Mind?
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Okay.

Also, how can Raging Monk stack with Wild Monk when both remove Still Mind?
    this is the one exception im allowing because it was caught after i had finished setting up the table on Pifro

actually i could make them legal if i just remove Resist Nature's Lure, saying that because that replaces still mind, it still counts as such for other ACFs, and thus would be removed
    Last edited by toapat; 2014-03-11 at 11:52 AM.

Drow avatar @ myself

15. - Top - End - #15

RedWizardGuy

this is the one exception im allowing because it was caught after i had finished setting up the table on Pifro

actually i could make them legal if i just remove Resist Nature's Lure, saying that because that replaces still mind, it still counts as such for other ACFs, and thus would be removed
    Ah, okay.

This thing is just beautiful, by the way.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, okay.

This thing is just beautiful, by the way.
    theoretically with a vicious machette and some modification we could make a balanced wildshape user. as is this is probably the single deadliest melee class in the game,

Drow avatar @ myself

17. - Top - End - #17

This is great. Love this version of monk.

But... dead levels make me want to cry. Especially a dead level 6 (E6 OCD). Can you do something with level 6?

Just speaking typing my mind, here.
    Last edited by Thunderfist12; 2014-03-11 at 05:04 PM.
    May the gods watch over your battles, friend.

18. - Top - End - #18

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderfist12 View Post
    This is great. Love this version of monk.

But... dead levels make me want to cry. Especially a dead level 6 (E6 OCD). Can you do something with level 6?

Just speaking typing my mind, here.
    Don't think anything can technically be done with the dead level, given that it's all put together from variant Monks from Dragon. Plus the power level is pretty good as-is. So even with a dead level it's pretty good.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Don't think anything can technically be done with the dead level, given that it's all put together from variant Monks from Dragon. Plus the power level is pretty good as-is. So even with a dead level it's pretty good.
    Yeah but as far as the E6 OCD goes, a Wildshape Ranger5/Barbarian1 gets basically everything this build does, and then some. The Monk only really pulls ahead at levels where Greater Rage and Large/Huge wild shape come online and the move speed bonus starts really picking up.

Not that that's really a bad thing. A Mystic SotAO Wildshape Ranger is crazy overpowered at low levels, getting the best of all worlds in an E6 build. This monk is passable to good at low level and continues to pick up speed as it levels up higher.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

20. - Top - End - #20

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Yeah but as far as the E6 OCD goes, a Wildshape Ranger5/Barbarian1 gets basically everything this build does, and then some. The Monk only really pulls ahead at levels where Greater Rage and Large/Huge wild shape come online and the move speed bonus starts really picking up.

Not that that's really a bad thing. A Mystic SotAO Wildshape Ranger is crazy overpowered at low levels, getting the best of all worlds in an E6 build. This monk is passable to good at low level and continues to pick up speed as it levels up higher.
    True. This isn't exactly homebrew, though. If you really needed a sixth level ability for E6, though, granting it Superior Unarmed Strike wouldn't be bad, or perhaps this:

Wildrage Striking(Ex): At 6th level, your rage makes your blows more impactful, and your orderly nature guides where you strike. When raging, you may treat yourself as one size larger for calculating your unarmed strike damage, and gain a bonus equal to your Wisdom modifier to attack rolls for your unarmed strike.

Wouldn't allow it as anything other than an E6 capstone, though, as this class gets plenty as it progresses.

You also get enhancements to move speed and Wildshape at 6th, although nothing new, per se.
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2014-03-11 at 06:55 PM.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: I cant Believe its Not Druid (Its a monk) (Pseudobrew) [Peach]

I believe Sacred Strike and Wholeness of Others adds Paladin to the list of classes that were blended into this amalgam. As for the class itself...it's a bit odd. It seems like it would be a good example of a nonmagical warrior, except that several of its class features (including the most powerful one it has) are Supernatural abilities. Others don't mix especially well. For example, are the Unarmed Strike benefits still mutually exclusive with a wild shape? And if they are, not to be harsh, but why bother with its inclusion? I can see it as a boon in early levels, but once the player hits 5th level, 100% of their time in combat will be spent as something with a good deal more utility tradeoff, since that's the only bonus they don't keep. I might suggest lowering the bonuses Unarmed Strike gives you and then melding it with Wild Shape, so that all of the class features blend as a unified whole, rather than leaving something out in the cold when push comes to shove. Or even making the combination of the two your 6th-level ability to cure that E6 OCD that's been mentioned, though this may be too powerful.

Also, does Tongue of the Sun and Moon allow them to speak while Wild Shaped? Because that is...fairly nice, actually.

Overall, it's an intriguing concept that, from the standpoint of what you were going for, was successful, with only a few 'problems' brought on by the oddity of the features themselves, not really the way you implemented them.
    The difference between a Fighter and a Wizard isn't that they walked into a bar and the Wizard said something more profound. The difference is that the Wizard didn't walk into the bar at all.

Omnibus' Workshop: Where classes go to live. Now in the process of being updated!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Overneath View Post
    Overall, it's an intriguing concept that, from the standpoint of what you were going for, was successful, with only a few 'problems' brought on by the oddity of the features themselves, not really the way you implemented them.
    I personally, had no investment in this. It was put into this forum because it would be moved here anyway if i presented it on Rollplay > 3/3.5/PF. Its done, EXCLUSIVELY, with ACFs that were printed. my personal monk fix, if i ever write one, will more likely use a stance system.

Drow avatar @ myself

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ah, I see. I'd assumed your goal was to provide a launching point by seeing how far you could get exclusively with ACFs, and improve from there. My apologies.
    The difference between a Fighter and a Wizard isn't that they walked into a bar and the Wizard said something more profound. The difference is that the Wizard didn't walk into the bar at all.

Omnibus' Workshop: Where classes go to live. Now in the process of being updated!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Overneath View Post
    Ah, I see. I'd assumed your goal was to provide a launching point by seeing how far you could get exclusively with ACFs, and improve from there. My apologies.
    i wont mark something where im putting design effort and considerations into it with the (Pseudobrew) or (nonbrew) marks. I put those in a topic name to explain that its not really homebrew and is not intended to be homebrew.

Drow avatar @ myself