New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1139 - The Discussion Thread

Nice!

So did they eventually decide to start nesting the worlds to slow the Snarl's escape, or is something else going on with the world in the rift?
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you surmise it's wise to have laser beams emitting from your eyes?
    -They Might Be Giants, "The Lady and the Tiger"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm guessing the elf and dwarf ascended deities are also unique to this world. Raising the question - what's made this world so different from the past ones?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So is the deific version of that monty python skit?

"We built a world. It sank into the swamp. So we built another one! That sank into the swamp. So we built another one! That one burned down, fell over and then sank into the swamp! But the four-quintillionth one stayed up! And that's the world you mortals will inherit one day."
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Holy...

I feel a sense of... AGE. A time abyss. those are millions and millions of years of worlds. Of people forgotten, whose lives mattered nothing. It's huge. How old are the gods anyway?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by GudBelkarIsGud View Post
    ...And we now have a new contender, if not outright winner, for most shocking moment in the comic.

That literally made my jaw drop.
    This arc is shocking moment after shocking moment!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

Woah. Their chances seem a bit slimmer now!

PS I was reading on my phone in landscape and the scrolling... and scrolling... and scrolling was awesome :D

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by isocum View Post
    So why isn't hel is the most powerfull goddess already, if that many worlds died, and their dwarfs feeding her? Is this the first iteration of dwarfs?
    It's not clear if The Bet wasn't made just before the making of current world.

Also, It seems the monuments are to honor worlds and souls devoured by the Snarl, so no souls for Hel.

And now I start to think if The Bet and Durkon's prophecy aren't
    Spoiler: Possible Spoiler about American Gods, by Neil Gailman
    Show
    part of a big Odin&Loki Con Act to try to solve the Snarl Problem once and for all
    . It made me remember American Gods, those who have read it will know why...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think Hel only gets the dwarf souls if the gods destroyed the planet voluntarily(which we haven’t been given any indication that has happened yet). If the snarl escapes, everyone’s souls are destroyed.
    Last edited by Quinton250; 2018-09-05 at 11:06 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

...oh my.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's like all the Ace Rimmers but reversed
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

10. - Top - End - #40

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I'm guessing the elf and dwarf ascended deities are also unique to this world. Raising the question - what's made this world so different from the past ones?
    Do we know for sure that this world is truly that different?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

I wonder why they even bothered having a speech portion during the Godsmoot? They must have had a conversation like that who knows how many times already.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

So, is this going to be a fold-out page in the printed version?

It also makes for some interesting theories about what the Snarl has done with the other worlds. There are clearly others inside the rift. Maybe the Snarl hasn't been "eating" them so much as "collecting"?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

I...ah...wow. Yeah, consider my jaw dropped. Did not see that coming.

What that tells me is that this isn't something they can fix by putting up a new world again. At best, that'd be a temporary solution. What they need is a way to untangle the Snarl once and for all. Someth...

How long are the odds on "The Dark One is actually the Snarl"?
    Avatar by the lovely and talented Linklele

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, I just laughed maniacally in the break room and got a bunch of stares. I wonder if Rich thanks Odin for the copy/paste tool. Beautiful.

15. - Top - End - #45

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    I wonder why they even bothered having a speech portion during the Godsmoot? They must have had a conversation like that who knows how many times already.
    I can personally attest that you can have the same argument many times and still try again each time.

Also, maybe the gods don't always vote the same so those speeches still hold weight. I'd be surprised if Loki was the defender of the world every single time, for instance.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Given that the souls were destroyed, that would seem to suggest that they were not sufficiently prepared to remake the world on their own. Which really makes Loki's argument that they have enough time to end the world and fix things anyway sound hollow, come to think of it.

If I had to guess whats different on this world, I would say the gates. This is the first time anyone has actually successfully plugged the gaps, to any meaningful degree.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I also wonder if we're going to find out that some of the gods simply want to give up if this one doesn't work out. (Despite what some of them said about rebuilding a new one.) Could this be the Last World?
    I think gods need a world populated by mortals because they need prayers and souls to sustain themselves. They have to keep making new worlds to survive

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    If all these worlds were destroyed, wouldn't the addition of the dwarves' souls to Hel from the current one be a drop in the bucket? How could they possibly be enough to make a difference?
    Because the power from dead souls don't last forever. All those dead worlds are like dead batteries. If you have 2 live batteries and hel has 3 live batteries, that's 50% more. it doesn't matter than both have thousands of spent batteries.

EDIT: assumign the gods managed to pull the plug on time and save the souls there. if they were eaten by the snarl, then they would not matter anyway
    Last edited by King of Nowhere; 2018-09-05 at 11:13 AM.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Given that the souls were destroyed, that would seem to suggest that they were not sufficiently prepared to remake the world on their own. Which really makes Loki's argument that they have enough time to end the world and fix things anyway sound hollow, come to think of it.

If I had to guess whats different on this world, I would say the gates. This is the first time anyone has actually successfully plugged the gaps, to any meaningful degree.
    seems like the snarl has escaped an uncountable amount of times and each time the gods just make a new prison around him

honestly Lokis argument if anything carries more weight, this is a problem there used to solved and mulliganing isnt going to help anything

19. - Top - End - #49

Holy <bleep>.

That is horrifying.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Could be that mortals becoming deities was a newer rule they implemented, possibly after losing several more gods (or even pantheons).

If that's not the case, it could mean the Dark One ascended from another world and that's why the details of his mortal days are unknown. Or perhaps he never was an ascended mortal and is instead the sole survivor of a purple aura pantheon. Though him apparently being ignorant of the other 4 Gates makes it seem likely he is indeed from the current world.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Wow, so the Snarl has devoured that many worlds.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post

That was my guess as well. I think that the message here is that the deities will not hesitate to pull the trigger if the Order fails. Thor may also impart some knowledge as to how the prison is built. This would lead Durkon to develop better locks.
    FTDWIR

23. - Top - End - #53
    Colossus in the Playground

"Time for gaps to form" probably increases with each new world - 4 years for the first, 1100-odd for the latest. Maybe more, if there's a big gap between "creation" and "start of calendar".
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    That's, uh. That's a lot of worlds.
    comic way too worldy for chief grukgruk sometimes

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quinton250 View Post
    I think Hel only gets the dwarf souls if the gods destroyed the planet voluntarily(which we haven’t been given any indication that has happened yet). If the snarl escapes, everyone’s souls are destroyed.
    I’ll add to this and say this means the gods have never voted on the fate of the world before, since every destroyed world has been ended by the snarl and not by the gods. It’s possible that the world building process was an iterative one that the gods improved on each time and slowly increased the lifespan each time but I don’t think this is the case. I feel like most of those worlds didn’t last long at all and eventually they got lucky and created a world where the gates were created and this world has existed substantially longer than any previous one. This the decision to end the first successful world voluntarily carries the same weight we thought it did originally. No one knows how many more tries it will take to reestablish another successful world.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Oh... wow...

Uh... I can just imagine the guilt that the good deities must be feeling if Thor's words about Marduk weeping and his own comments about 'we couldn't play nice' were true.

Spoiler
    Show
    So... no worlds before this one ever had ascended deities?

Or is it that without any souls to sustain them, the ascended gods die out when a world ends?

....Redcloak and the Dark One's obsession with 'The Plan' may well end up not with goblinoid ascension but goblinoid *genocide.*

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

They probably have to act all together to unmake the world without the Snarl escaping. And they have to follow the rules, and they are split nearly 50/50 on the issue. And the Gates may be a new thing.

Some of the graves appear bigger than graves "in front" of them. Assuming this is not an error I ownder why a world would get a bigger graves than another? More people on it? Its souls were nommed by the Snarl rather than killed by the Gods?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Oh.

Oh no.

That is not good.

it seems the rifts are just a thing that will always happen as long as the Snarl is around, and that the world will always erode, and they had to get better and better at designing the world. The Gates were something that could perhaps finally break that cycle and make sure the rifts didn't grow anymore. this also explains the debate Loki and Heimdall had and why Heimdall said it with such resignation while Loki said it as if this has happened so many times before. because it has happened, like millions of times it seems.

question is, does Redcloak know this? does HE know how many times it has happened?? does he even think its an important detail? because Redcloak is the one manipulating Xykon, so he is the bad guy who'd know the most.

either way, it seems that the Gods recreating the world-prison doesn't seem to be a permanent solution. We're just going to end up right back where we started, hopefully with a longer timeframe between rifts but.....doesn't change the fact that its going to keep happening. Hm.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #59

Oh. My. Gods and Goddesses.

That's taking Gardens of Stone to near infinite levels.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Shocking, but what’s the point in showing Durkon this graveyard?
    I would bet the point is telling to Durkon something like "we screwed things very hard, please help us to not screw it again."
    Seems like Stickverse is at same time defying and validating Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus propositions 1. and 1.1. Also, it weirdly confirms proposition 6.44...