New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Super Mario Bros has an Italian plumber who shoots fireballs when he grabs a flower and whose archnemesis is a giant turtle.

Sonic the Hedgehog has a superfast animal that looks nothing like a hedgehog who fights robots.

Pokemon has a rat that shoots lightning.

What I'm saying is, don't be overly concerned with realism.
    Yes, but I'm going for something a bit more story-heavy, so I need as many distinct characters as a SNES final fantasy game.

So if I can manage two I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Neither can most professional RPGs. You'll be fine.
    Yeah, my actual main problems will be balancing combat and story/gameplay distribution.

But that's harder to write self-deprecating humour about.

I have however made clear decisions in my plan to avoid some of the tropes I dislike. Including not having player-equipable armour to stop the entire 'I just equipped full plate, why are they in robes' trope, as well as having plot keep the party below four characters to avoid 'lazy backup' (but they'll still swap in and out).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I really can't trust people on the internet anymore. There was one person who used to be a loyal supporter and subscriber on my Youtube channel. It turns out that person isn't a good person at all so I block that person on Facebook and Youtube.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    You should probably know that calling women 'females' tends to... not be taken greatly. It's often a signpost for those who... don't exactly treat women as equals, and so is something that we tend to be wary of. It's often a red flag, so... just figured I'd let you know. That it does tend to feel dehumanising.
    Though it should be noted that he didn't call women "females" (noun, plural). He called one person a "female friend" (where female is an adjective, singular), at least after correcting the initial missed word. If there's a contextual reason to specify gender in that phrase, then female is the correct term in that instance.

Men, women.
    Man, woman.
    Male friend, female friend.
    Male friends, female friends.
    Male passenger, female passenger.
    Male passengers, female passengers.
    etc.

You would definitely say say "I have invited six male friends and five female friends" (assuming you have that many friends and don't need to account for non-binary). If you wish to convey the same information but avoid using male/female, you would need to say something more like "I have invited eleven friends, six men and five women".

You are 100% correct that using "females" as a noun is dehumanising. It's not grammatically incorrect, but should never refer to humans. You would only use it when referring to characteristics of different sexes in a species. i.e. "In the lion kingdom, females tend to..."

In short: For humans, woman/women is a noun, female is an adjective. Females is a noun that should only be used for discussing the animal kingdom.

---

There are of course other ways to indicate gender. Using the original example: "My friend told me on the phone that she and her niece" already specifies the genders of both people you're talking about (she & her, niece) in the same sentence, meaning that it wasn't necessary in this instance in order to give that context. So, in the original post, it would probably have been better to drop the word female entirely. Although, even if the rest of the sentence hadn't specified it, you should always ask yourself if it's necessary to give that context. It might be, but it might not.

"I have two friends who want to do different activities, my male friend wants to [activity], while my female friend wants to [activity] instead" could go both ways, depending on the context you need to convey. If gender plays no part in it whatsoever, you might want to consider using "Friend A" and "Friend B" or similar instead. But, if that context is needed at any point in the current discussion (or continuing discussion), it might be appropriate. e.g. "I have two friends who want to do different activities, my male friend wants to [activity], while my female friend wants to [activity] instead, because she doesn't feel welcome in that community".

In the original example, let's cut it down to just one person so that no pronouns are used. "My friend caught [illness]." Do we have a need to know her gender? Probably not, unless the illness affects women differently to men. e.g. "My female friend caught [illness], and now I'm extremely worried because it has a mortality rate three times higher in women than men."

Hope this helps, Bartmanhomer!

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Though it should be noted that he didn't call women "females" (noun, plural). He called one person a "female friend" (where female is an adjective, singular), at least after correcting the initial missed word. If there's a contextual reason to specify gender in that phrase, then female is the correct term in that instance.

Men, women.
    Man, woman.
    Male friend, female friend.
    Male friends, female friends.
    Male passenger, female passenger.
    Male passengers, female passengers.
    etc.

You would definitely say say "I have invited six male friends and five female friends" (assuming you have that many friends and don't need to account for non-binary). If you wish to convey the same information but avoid using male/female, you would need to say something more like "I have invited eleven friends, six men and five women".

You are 100% correct that using "females" as a noun is dehumanising. It's not grammatically incorrect, but should never refer to humans. You would only use it when referring to characteristics of different sexes in a species. i.e. "In the lion kingdom, females tend to..."

In short: For humans, woman/women is a noun, female is an adjective. Females is a noun that should only be used for discussing the animal kingdom.

---

There are of course other ways to indicate gender. Using the original example: "My friend told me on the phone that she and her niece" already specifies the genders of both people you're talking about (she & her, niece) in the same sentence, meaning that it wasn't necessary in this instance in order to give that context. So, in the original post, it would probably have been better to drop the word female entirely. Although, even if the rest of the sentence hadn't specified it, you should always ask yourself if it's necessary to give that context. It might be, but it might not.

"I have two friends who want to do different activities, my male friend wants to [activity], while my female friend wants to [activity] instead" could go both ways, depending on the context you need to convey. If gender plays no part in it whatsoever, you might want to consider using "Friend A" and "Friend B" or similar instead. But, if that context is needed at any point in the current discussion (or continuing discussion), it might be appropriate. e.g. "I have two friends who want to do different activities, my male friend wants to [activity], while my female friend wants to [activity] instead, because she doesn't feel welcome in that community".

In the original example, let's cut it down to just one person so that no pronouns are used. "My friend caught [illness]." Do we have a need to know her gender? Probably not, unless the illness affects women differently to men. e.g. "My female friend caught [illness], and now I'm extremely worried because it has a mortality rate three times higher in women than men."

Hope this helps, Bartmanhomer!
    It helps me a lot. Thank you Rawhide.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    It helps me a lot. Thank you Rawhide.
    I suddenly thought of a good example of how to explain female (singular) as a noun.

Let's say there's a person you know with the name of... Robyn. Spelt with a y it's more commonly a female name, but it's frequently enough a male name that someone could be confused. So, if the person you're talking to asks, how could you respond?

1a) Robyn is female.
    Correct. You are using female as a predicative adjective.

2a) Robyn is a female.
    Incorrect. You are using female as a noun. While technically still grammatically correct, you're dehumanising Robyn and women in general.

3a) Robyn is a woman.
    Correct. Woman is a noun and you are using it as such.

4a) Robyn is woman.
    Incorrect. Woman is a noun but you're trying to use it as a predicative adjective. Note: There are some cases where this might actually be appropriate, but it doesn't answer the question correctly. e.g. "I am woman, hear me roar" is technically grammatically incorrect, but is totally awesome, so we should definitely give it a pass .

Now, let's imagine that Robyn is actually your cat's name.

1b) Robyn is female.

2b) Robyn is a female.
    Correct. You are using female as a noun. This is fine here as you're talking about an animal not a human.

3b) Robyn is a woman.
    Incorrect. Woman is a a noun that generally refers to humans only. Though, this can extend to humanoid creatures, or if your are anthropomorphising your cat.

4b) Robyn is woman.
    Incorrect. Woman is a a noun that generally refers to humans only, but you're trying to use it as a predicative adjective for an animal.

I know it was completely a mistake and was just a missing word you corrected, but let's use your original mistake as an example (sentence modified to include Robyn).

"Robyn is my female."

That would fall under 2a), using female as a noun. It's not really appropriate... unless it is a pet name your girlfriend wants you to use. Even in such a rare instance, to people outside your circles it might seem like you're being dehumanising. Avoid.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I suddenly thought of a good example of how to explain female (singular) as a noun.

Let's say there's a person you know with the name of... Robyn. Spelt with a y it's more commonly a female name, but it's frequently enough a male name that someone could be confused. So, if the person you're talking to asks, how could you respond?

1a) Robyn is female.

2a) Robyn is a female.
    Incorrect. You are using female as a noun. While technically still grammatically correct, you're dehumanising Robyn and women in general.

3a) Robyn is a woman.
    Correct. Woman is a noun and you are using it as such.

4a) Robyn is woman.
    Incorrect. Woman is a noun but you're trying to use it as a predicative adjective. Note: There are some cases where this might actually be appropriate, but it doesn't answer the question correctly. e.g. "I am woman, hear me roar" is technically grammatically incorrect, but is totally awesome, so we should definitely give it a pass .

Now, let's imagine that Robyn is actually your cat's name.

1b) Robyn is female.

2b) Robyn is a female.
    Correct. You are using female as a noun. This is fine here as you're talking about an animal not a human.

3b) Robyn is a woman.
    Incorrect. Woman is a a noun that generally refers to humans only. Though, this can extend to humanoid creatures, or if your are anthropomorphising your cat.

4b) Robyn is woman.
    Incorrect. Woman is a a noun that generally refers to humans only, but you're trying to use it as a predicative adjective for an animal.

I know it was completely a mistake and was just a missing word you corrected, but let's use your original mistake as an example (sentence modified to include Robyn).

"Robyn is my female."

That would fall under 2a), using female as a noun. It's not really appropriate... unless it is a pet name your girlfriend wants you to use. Even in such a rare instance, to people outside your circles it might seem like you're being dehumanising. Avoid.
    I never realized that. Thank you again.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Colossus in the Playground

So my mother and brother went grocery shopping for my grandmother and then went to the cracker barrel for lunch. I don't particularly approve of that, but...

Anyway, apparently Cracker Barrel, a restaurant that serves southern-US "country-style" food, now sells pocky, a Japanese candy, in their gift shop.

I can't help but think that that's hilarious.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Titan in the Playground

Once again quickly approaching thread 50.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Once again quickly approaching thread 50.
    Yay! Maybe I might do a Friendly Banter Thread. I haven't done that for a while.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Yay! Maybe I might do a Friendly Banter Thread. I haven't done that for a while.
    You might be one away. Rawhide or Peelee will have to remind me if the new limit is 10 or 12 threads.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    You might be one away. Rawhide or Peelee will have to remind me if the new limit is 10 or 12 threads.
    Twelve looks to be the magic number right now, looking bat at things. Unless you're a baker, I guess. Then thirteen.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground

looking bat at things.
    Ah, I see you are equipped with a sonar.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Titan in the Playground

Twelve looks to be the magic number right now, looking bat at things. Unless you're a baker, I guess. Then thirteen.
    Ah, I was confused as to why the secret bakery subforum was allowed 51 pages per thread.

I spent half asn hour taking apart a controller today when the issue was in my settings anybody got some common sense I can borrow?

I'm only about halfway through the UNIT era right now, I have to watch on and off, but I'll be sad when it goes. There certainly is a lot to say for a larger regular supporting cast, although I do still prefer the black and white adventures.

I also originally discovered that the team who decided to refocus on near future Earth stories had left by the second exile series, which explains why the Time Lords are an active presence for the first time (they appear twice!) and a Time Lord villain. There's clearly movement towards ending the exile and setting ip a new status quo without trivialising the in-universe punishmen..

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I'm only about halfway through the UNIT era right now, I have to watch on and off, but I'll be sad when it goes.
    It's a bit of a shame, that theres wasn't a big send-off to the U.N.I.T. days, the doctor just gradually stopped going to work. Very in-character, though.
    Oh, Mike...
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #1455

Growths on the dog that the previous vet told us were tumors are shrinking.

New vet says that's proof that the dog's new heart medicine is working and the inflation and fluid build-up caused by his enlarged, overworked heart starting to give out is being fixed.

Dog is 14 and inbred* as hell, so he's still got problems, but he's doing much better.

*He's not a purebred, we got him from my aunt who keeps a lot of dogs and isn't always on the ball on them getting fixed. Technically she's been raising the same family of dogs for the last three or so decades. Mom calls him a "terrierhuaua" but he's just a mutt.

New vet is now our permanent vet.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I find internet drama of any kind irrelevant now. Because at this point I don't care about it that much as I use to be in the past. I just back away and move on from all internet drama.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It's a bit of a shame, that theres wasn't a big send-off to the U.N.I.T. days, the doctor just gradually stopped going to work. Very in-character, though.
    Oh, Mike...
    I remember refusing to watch Jodie Whittaker's first series when it came out because I thought they were going to return to UNIT for a season, and was disappointed when I found out 'trapped on Earth' was a one episode thing. Although I now have much more legitimate plot-based reasons to dislike the current era (despite really liking The War Fames*).

* It's one of my favourite serials, and one I tell people not to watch.

Show

18. - Top - End - #1458

BlackDragon

Although I now have much more legitimate plot-based reasons to dislike the current era
    Those being, it's total garbage? I was looking forward to see what they did with a female Doctor, but while Jodie Whittaker does a pretty good job with what she's given, what she's given is so unrelentingly poor that I gave up after 3 episodes.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Those being, it's total garbage? I was looking forward to see what they did with a female Doctor, but while Jodie Whittaker does a pretty good job with what she's given, what she's given is so unrelentingly poor that I gave up after 3 episodes.
    All I'm saying is that I'm waiting to see what Big Finish does with her incarnation, and for the inevitable retcon for recent(ish) developments. My bet is the reveal of two Time Lords using the same name.

I'm laying the blame at Chibnall's feet not Whittaker's, because it's clear she's not where the problem is.

I'd also like to see the return of the War Chie. Sure, they're the same broad archetype as the Master, but if you stayed close to their characterisation from The War Games they'd be more like the early Master than their modern incarnations.

Show

20. - Top - End - #1460

I find it hilarious when I see a commercial for a drug or supplement and it mentions a "clinically tested key ingredients" without saying the results of those clinical tests or what the key ingredients actually are.

I don't know if it's accurate in every case, but if I'm gonna be honest my first thought every time I hear that is "and that's the sign that they're peddling snake oil. Rattlesnake oil, too, not the good stuff from China."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I find it hilarious when I see a commercial for a drug or supplement and it mentions a "clinically tested key ingredients" without saying the results of those clinical tests or what the key ingredients actually are.

I don't know if it's accurate in every case, but if I'm gonna be honest my first thought every time I hear that is "and that's the sign that they're peddling snake oil. Rattlesnake oil, too, not the good stuff from China."
    "Watched by Roger Ebert"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

22. - Top - End - #1462

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    At least they're not as bad as the ones that just mention that the drug has a "key ingredient" with emphasis on that.

Without context, that's literally meaningless. Anything more complex than sugar water has a "key ingredient."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Ettin in the Playground

Even sugar-water has a key ingredient: water. Without that, it's just solid sugar.

I would have said it has two key ingredients, but there are a lot of types of sugar that are roughly equivalent to each other.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Titan in the Playground

Welp, last year I celebrated my birthday during the first lockdown and today I get to celebrate it during the third one. Huzzah.

Well, my dad is baking a tatin pie, so there's that.
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #1465

Welp, last year I celebrated my birthday during the first lockdown and today I get to celebrate it during the third one. Huzzah.

Would you like a hug?

I've been fine mostly, with lockdowns and social distancing, but I'm a major introvert. This has gotta be hell for anyone who needs meaningful social interaction to "recharge."

There's clinical evidence that suggests that most people require a certain amount of positive physical and social contact with other people to maintain their mental health. That's honestly gotta be the worst thing about the pandemic.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Would you like a hug?

I've been fine mostly, with lockdowns and social distancing, but I'm a major introvert. This has gotta be hell for anyone who needs meaningful social interaction to "recharge."

There's clinical evidence that suggests that most people require a certain amount of positive physical and social contact with other people to maintain their mental health. That's honestly gotta be the worst thing about the pandemic.
    It's okay, this "lockdown" has so few restrictions it barely deserves to be called like that, and since I got a job in a library I have enough social interactions. Still sucks that I can't throw a proper party for my quarter-of-a-century but I have it better than a lot of people.
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

Happy Birthday!

Assuming I'm not being an idiot and it's only the celebration today.

It's okay, this "lockdown" has so few restrictions it barely deserves to be called like that, and since I got a job in a library I have enough social interactions. Still sucks that I can't throw a proper party for my quarter-of-a-century but I have it better than a lot of people.
    Yeah, we had one of those lockdowns back in November. The main result as far as I'm concerned that I couldn't get on a train to visit people. Plus to be fair my ability to interact socially wasn't that great before the pandemic anyway.

Also I feel like I must be weird, to me a 'proper party' consists of about five people, a bottle of wine, and ideally a boat. People seem to think this is doing it wrong.

Show

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Titan in the Playground

Happy Birthday!

Assuming I'm not being an idiot and it's only the celebration today.
    The celebration is on sunday.

Yeah, we had one of those lockdowns back in November. The main result as far as I'm concerned that I couldn't get on a train to visit people. Plus to be fair my ability to interact socially wasn't that great before the pandemic anyway.

Also I feel like I must be weird, to me a 'proper party' consists of about five people, a bottle of wine, and ideally a boat. People seem to think this is doing it wrong.
    I would have liked to see my cousins and grandmothers. Also had to cancel/indefinitely report a three-day vacation my siblings and I were planning.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I got wonderful news to tell you. I was talking to my friend on the phone today! My friend and her niece no longer got COVID. Their 10 days are up. They beat COVID! I'm so happy!

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

My favorite part of March is the 6 minute breaks between the tornado warnings. Also, got a tornado emergency near me, so that's bonus fun.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2