New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Chess

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Chess

I haven't played chess for a while. I even play Chess Free App and I play the highest level which is Level 12 (Grandmaster Level, Rating 2100+) and man it's very difficult. I'm not really a good chess player. I'm more like in maybe in a low-average tier range. So yeah that my story of chess. How good of a chess player are you?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: Chess

I'm a poor player lol a friend of mine in college checkmate'd me (if that's a word) in 3 or 4 moves, I can't remember exactly.
    "There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom" G'Kar - Babylon 5

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by qstor View Post
    I'm a poor player lol a friend of mine in college checkmate'd me (if that's a word) in 3 or 4 moves, I can't remember exactly.
    I know the 4 move checkmate is the Scholar Mate.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

And the two-move checkmate is called Fool's Mate.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    And the two-move checkmate is called Fool's Mate.
    That's right and the 3 move is called a Smothered Mate.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I play ok, but I literally have zero ability to negotiate my way through the various openings which really hurts.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I play ok, but I literally have zero ability to negotiate my way through the various openings which really hurts.
    Cool. Also, the grandmasters are totally uber. I have faced a few grandmasters in my life and it never ends well with me.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    That's right and the 3 move is called a Smothered Mate.
    Actually smothered mate is a more generic term, for mate delivered by a knight, to a king surrounded by his own pieces:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smothered_mate

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Actually smothered mate is a more generic term, for mate delivered by a knight, to a king surrounded by his own pieces:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smothered_mate
    It's still a 3 move checkmate anyway.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I love chess... I just suck at it badly

I would love to play a game with anybody who wants to give it a shot. Just be forewarned... like mentioned, I won't be able to provide much of a challenge, if any at all.

But if you want to play anyway and are willing to offer some constructive criticism as well, I am very much game
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I'm game for a little GITP tournament. On a site like www.yourturnmyturn.com maybe?

(Chess is a pretty long game, so online turn by turn it's going to take months to finish a game, but the upside is that you can confuse yourself by playing several games at the same time.)

Although honestly, the best form of chess might be speed chess. Something like a five minute clock for each player. It takes the casual game of "I could make this move, but I probably should think about it for another half hour" and turns it into a game of frantic decision making. Unfortunately I basically haven't played this form since playing it against the then colleague I got it from.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

This forum hasn't had a Chess Battle Tournament for a while. Let just start the Chess Battle tournament. I could use my Chess Free App on my phone for the two-player mode to see which move myself and the other player is using. And just to be very fair and lawful I'm not going to use this app for cheating. Also, that was a chess expert in this forum a while back (I forgot his name) I wonder if he still around.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-08-25 at 03:28 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

It's still a 3 move checkmate anyway.
    The point I was making was that it can take place at any point in the game - it doesn't have to take place 3 moves in.

For that matter, the earliest smothered mates given in the above article, take place 7 or so moves in, not 3.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2019-08-26 at 01:53 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

The point I was making was that it can take place at any point in the game - it doesn't have to take place 3 moves in.

For that matter, the earliest smothered mates given in the above article, take place 7 or so moves in, not 3.
    Ok. I understand. Thank you for telling me.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

My favorite chess story is when a friend of mine and I were playing, and I was drinking during the game. He was a way better player than me. But this time -- it was one of the first time I was actually beating him, but then the alcohol started to kick in and my skill level drastically decreased.

---

I'm probably fairly low skill level. Not terrible, but I haven't played against anybody else in years. I played a video game version of it on a treadmill while at a hotel recently. I could do okay against the easy mode, but lost after 10-20 moves against medium. Though one time it said the game was a Draw and I couldn't really see how; I thought I could get towards the enemy King in a few rounds.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

My favorite chess story is when Derren Brown scammed a group of Grandmasters and Fide Masters into him beating them as a collective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIAXIubSTkc

Just proving that because you're a genius at chess doesn't mean you can spot a con.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I have the same username on Lichess, so if anyone wants to play, they can find me. I'm more likely to be available for correspondence games than live, though.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    My favorite chess story is when Derren Brown scammed a group of Grandmasters and Fide Masters into him beating them as a collective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIAXIubSTkc

Just proving that because you're a genius at chess doesn't mean you can spot a con.
    I've seen that video before. At the time I called fake.

Not because the method is impossible, but because for it to work you need to beat one still very good player while keeping 4 other matches in your head. And you need to be able to do it reliably. A magic trick that works 75% of the time is not really a magic trick. So you need to be basically the best player in the room, so you could probably have beaten them fair and square anyway.

And also because I saw another video by the same guy I think that just screamed fake so I assumed they all were. (In this one he convinced someone they had been sucked into a video game. The fakest part was that he knocked the player unconscious with carefully timed flashes. Not strobe lights, just maybe six flashes. And the target's friends who weren't in on the trick just stood there and gave no reaction as he collapsed, and still no reaction as this guy with a camera crew full on abducts him.) But after a bunch of years I can't be sure whether that actually was the same guy...
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-08-31 at 01:33 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    I've seen that video before. At the time I called fake.

Not because the method is impossible, but because for it to work you need to beat one still very good player while keeping 4 other matches in your head. And you need to be able to do it reliably. A magic trick that works 75% of the time is not really a magic trick. So you need to be basically the best player in the room, so you could probably have beaten them fair and square anyway.

And also because I saw another video by the same guy I think that just screamed fake so I assumed they all were. (In this one he convinced someone they had been sucked into a video game. The fakest part was that he knocked the player unconscious with carefully timed flashes. Not strobe lights, just maybe six flashes. And the target's friends who weren't in on the trick just stood there and gave no reaction as he collapsed, and still no reaction as this guy with a camera crew full on abducts him.) But after a bunch of years I can't be sure whether that actually was the same guy...
    It is a trick, but not the way you're thinking. He doesn't have to be anywhere near the best player in the room.

If you notice the person that he played was SIGNIFICANTLY less skilled than the others. He had 8 Grand Masters, International Masters and Fide Masters.... and 1 President of a Chess Society from a college.

He had 8 masters play each other, while he was playing somebody significantly less skilled that he was confident he could beat.

I'm a pretty big Derren Brown watcher and he's definitely pulled some crazy stuff, but I don't recall that one.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2019-08-31 at 06:23 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm game for a little GITP tournament. On a site like www.yourturnmyturn.com maybe?

(Chess is a pretty long game, so online turn by turn it's going to take months to finish a game, but the upside is that you can confuse yourself by playing several games at the same time.)

Although honestly, the best form of chess might be speed chess. Something like a five minute clock for each player. It takes the casual game of "I could make this move, but I probably should think about it for another half hour" and turns it into a game of frantic decision making. Unfortunately I basically haven't played this form since playing it against the then colleague I got it from.
    I have started my Chess Battle: Resurrection Tournament in the Message Board Games Section if you're interested.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I've played chess for years, but I'm only average at it. I don't mind losing, but I do get tired of people trying to pull early-game "3-turn-win" combos. If the game is over faster than it took to set up the board, then IMO we didn't play anything at all.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by False God View Post
    I've played chess for years, but I'm only average at it. I don't mind losing, but I do get tired of people trying to pull early-game "3-turn-win" combos. If the game is over faster than it took to set up the board, then IMO we didn't play anything at all.
    The quick checkmate is very easy to block and counter.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I used to go to the chess class when I was a child and was one of the best players there but after a big break, it's hard for me to win mid-level AI:))

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GhoulKaven View Post
    I used to go to the chess class when I was a child and was one of the best players there but after a big break, it's hard for me to win mid-level AI:))
    Cool. I actually like chess. Someday I'm thinking of competing in tourneys again.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

I love chess. But I love it a lot like I love musical instruments: I'm in love with the IDEA of being very good at it, but not in love enough to do the hard, hard tiresome work of improving by infinitesimal increments over a long period of time.

So, I can play well enough to beat anyone who doesn't know the game. And I can reliably beat anyone who knows a little about the game. But anyone with any real skill or knowledge will probably mop the floor with me.

Same as I can play precisely four songs on the piano. They're good songs, and I can play them very well, if I'm on my game that day you'd think for sure I was a piano guy. But no. Just the four.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

I was intermediate USCF in high school (the school league in the St. Louis region is affiliated. good times) but I haven't maintained the thought processes needed to be predictive I think.

edit - on the subject of quick wins, they don't work against people in normal play. It's more bullying people who have never heard of them. Except Liver-and-Onions. That one actually provides tempo potential as the black player generally needs to use a turn to address the mate possibility while not messing up white's opening objectives. It's why I like c-5 as black. Kills a lot of shenanigans.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2019-09-12 at 11:39 AM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I've made a Chess Battle: Resurrection Tournament Thread in the Message Board Game section if anybody interested.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I've made a Chess Battle: Resurrection Tournament Thread in the Message Board Game section if anybody interested.
    Including a link in posts like this is a lot more helpful than repeating them.

(As for myself, while I loved the idea of Battle Chess as a kid, today I have developed principles against repetitive animations that serve no apparent purpose except for padding play time. So I'm affraid I'm not looking to drop a 10 euro entry fee (buying the game) on a tournament that offers a more annoying experience than playing chess on any website that offers it.)
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Including a link in posts like this is a lot more helpful than repeating them.

(As for myself, while I loved the idea of Battle Chess as a kid, today I have developed principles against repetitive animations that serve no apparent purpose except for padding play time. So I'm affraid I'm not looking to drop a 10 euro entry fee (buying the game) on a tournament that offers a more annoying experience than playing chess on any website that offers it.)
    Here you go: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ion-Tournament