New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Final Fantasy Guild Mafia

Night 0 End

Gac3 has died. They were the Guild Master (Guild)

Spoiler: Guild Master
    Show
    The guild Master has the power to die immediately.

Day 1 start. Day 1 will end Thursday 9a.m. CST

Spoiler: Guild List
    Show

Valmark Necromancer
    Apogee1
    JeenLeen
    BookWombat Dragoon
    Elenna
    Xihirli
    Unavenger
    The Outsider
    CaiohmintheCape Ninja
    Johnny Patches Theif
    Helgraf
    Kinro

Spoiler: Recruitment Post
    Show

All is joyous in the guild hall until your leader does not show up for the celebratory feast. A quick investigation finds them dead in their office. It is clear there are some traitors amongst your midsts, no one else has had access to the guild hall. Can you ferret them out before they bring down the guild?

This is a Final Fantasy styled Mafia game with some different rules.

Spoiler: Basic Rules
    Show
    For those of you unfamiliar with this game format, this will be a largely freeform game with some overarching procedural rules in place. For a more thorough understanding of the general format use this link.

Here is how the game will proceed:

1) The game will start on a Day Phase. Day phases will be 48 hours long, Night phases will be 24 hours long.

2) During the day phase, all living players can talk, discuss things, and cast their votes for who will be lynched. If you cast your vote a second time, please strikethrough your previous vote. At the end of the Day Phase, I will make a post cutting off vote changes, tally up the votes, and declare who has been lynched, and what their role is. Private communication is allowed via PMs, although for the sake of my inbox I would prefer that you set up a QuickTopic thread for such private communication.

3) During the night phase, players may communicate publicly and privately. Players may use their night powers if they have one during this time.

4) The game ends when only one non-neutral faction remains.

5) There will be no auto-lynch rules in this game.

Spoiler: Unique Rules
    Show

Not really a unique rule per se but a clarification: I will be using the 25% rule as well as no auto-lynches. I will also be taking the first vote that has not been crossed out. So vote as many times as you like, when I go through, the first one not to be crossed out is the one I will take.

If people don't show, I will likely put some kind of rule for replacing them after so long (possibly with dead players) rather than the autolynch.

The most unique and potentially unbalancing thing I'm going to do is that I'm going to have the list of roles which I will assign randomly. Then I'm going to randomly pick the wolves.

I wasn't fully ready but wanted to start recruitment. I will be posting the roles in the next day or two so stay tuned.

Spoiler: Roles
    Show

Bard: You have a way of getting people to do what you want. Each night you choose a target and divert their power to a target of your choice.
    Beast Master: You have a way with animals and can get them to scout for you. Each night send your beasts to follow one player of your choice to see who targets them.
    Black Mage: You have the power of the most powerful offensive spells. Each night you may choose one player to target with your spells, killing them.
    Blue Mage: You are a quick learner, able to learn skills on the fly. Each time a power is used on you, if you survive it, you gain a one time use of the power.
    Dark Knight: You are a powerful warrior and when you fight your dark power ensures that neither side survives unscathed. If you are killed by a vote, you may choose one person who voted for you to also die. If you are killed by a power, they person who used it will also die.
    Dragoon: Harnessing the power of the dragons, you are are able to leap through the sky like no other. Each night you may choose to leap high into the sky, becoming immune to all night actions that night.
    Freelancer: You are a versatile unit, able to take on any job. Each time a player dies, you have the option to take their job. If you take a new job, your previous job is lost.
    Hunter: You are skilled at tracking and hunting. Each night choose a player to track and learn who they target that night.
    Mime: You are an expert at replicating other's powers. Each night target someone to copy their power to use on a second target of your choice.
    Monk: Your skill with martial arts makes you able to manipulate the battlefield and redirect the attacks of others. Each night choose a target and redirect their powers to you.
    Necromancer: Your connection to the dead is unmatched. You may speak with dead players.
    Ninja: You are sneaky and hard to kill, with your ninjitsu powers. Your skill at creating a shadow double allows you to survive the first time you would die.
    Paladin: You are a holy night dedicated to protecting others. Each night choose one player to protect. Should they be targeted with a kill power, you will die instead.
    Scholar: Your knowledge is vast and your powers of observation are unmatched. Each night target one player and learn whether or not they are a traitor.
    Summoner: You have a number of entities bound to your service that you can summon to your aid. You have a small number of powers that you can choose to use one per game.
    Thief: You have sticky fingers and and quick feet. Each night choose one person and steal their vote for the following day.
    Time Mage: Your power over time magic is unparalleled. Each night choose one person to freeze. That night they will be unable to use any powers.
    White Mage: You are a beacon of light and healing with unmatched holy magic. Each night choose one person to heal and protect. They are immune to any night kills that night.

Last edited by gac3; 2020-09-14 at 08:41 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Final Fantasy Guild Mafia

Oh RNGesus, merciful god of all that is random, I beseech thee: guide my hand towards those who should die today.

What's that, my lord? Helgraf should die? Very well, as you command.
    Last edited by The Outsider; 2020-09-07 at 09:33 PM.
    I can see it from the outside.
    And I know you're on the inside... lookin' out.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

If I vote Valmark, than he votes me right?

Easy distancing achieved

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hey cutie, have a vote: to AvatarVecna with love!
    Last edited by Unavenger; 2020-09-10 at 08:18 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Not to be salty, but I failed to kill CaiohmintheCape once.
    Never again.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2020-09-09 at 08:06 PM.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmm. I'm going to pass until I have more information.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Apogee1 View Post

Easy distancing achieved
    Indeed Apogee1.

(For who's new my first vote is always the first in the list without votes)
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-09-10 at 12:25 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Xihirli is never a bad choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kinro View Post
    Hmm. I'm going to pass until I have more information.
    Exhibit A in "reasons to vote somebody besides Xihirli".
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2020-09-10 at 07:36 AM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

That's not necessarily true.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Not to be salty, but I failed to kill CaiohmintheCape once.
    Never again.
    Are we just gonna do a re-hash of last game? I mean, I guess vote: Xihirli then. This time it'll only take one lynch to get you!

Vote Count

Helgraf (1): The Outsider
    Valmark (1): Apogee1
    CaoimhintheCape(1): Xihirli
    Apogee1 (1): Valmark
    Xihirli (2): AvatarVecna, CaoimhintheCape

Not Voting (1): Kinro
    No Posts (5):JeenLeen, BookWombat, Elenna, Johnny Patches, Helgraf
    Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2020-09-10 at 07:13 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

You don't know that!
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhinTheCape View Post
    Are we just gonna do a re-hash of last game? I mean, I guess vote: Xihirli then. This time it'll only take one lynch to get you!
    Interesting... How do you know that it'll take only one lynch to kill her so surely?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Easy distancing achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    Indeed Apogee1.

(For who's new my first vote is always the first in the list without votes)
    <snip>
    Interesting... How do you know that it'll take only one lynch to kill her so surely?
    Something about all this feels a little fishy to me.

Apgoee and Valmark's comments read like reasonable joking for D1 random voting. But the last time someone joked about being a wolf, they were a wolf. Sure, that wasn't Apogee or Valmark ('twas Xihirli last game), but it's enough to make me a little wary of such comments. That's not in itself enough to warrant a vote, but that on top of Valmark insinuating suspicion on Cao for Cao's 'one-lynch' comment about Xihirli... feels wolfish. Like wolf!Valmark both taking advantage of Apogee's statement and wanting to throw suspicion on Xihirli/Cao.
    Especially since it seems rather unlikely Cao and Xihirli are both wolves, since Cao's vote is the 2nd on Xihirli and I doubt the wolves would be comfortable with being one of the starting wagons.

So I'm voting Valmark. Let's see what happens when a few folk have 2 votes on them.

Voting Question for gac3

Since there are (if I counted correctly) 13 players, I think there have to be at least (13*.25 = 3.25... round up?) 4 votes on someone by end-of-Day for a lynch to actually happen. Is that right?

I'll probably have some more questions about some of the Roles, but I should reread the active Roles when I'm not tired first.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-09-09 at 10:43 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Fair point. Valmark, care to elaborate on that comment?

(Side note: I still want to hear from Helgraf. RNGesus doesn't lie.)
    Last edited by The Outsider; 2020-09-08 at 01:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. At least 25% will need to vote for the same person so we are looking for four votes.

16. - Top - End - #16

Sure, let's make sure today isn't a waste. Valmark
    Last edited by Helgraf; 2020-09-10 at 12:02 AM.
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

JeenLeen probably town

Idk if I actually think Valmark's a wolf though

Meh I expect to have a town network d3 and solve the game thataway to an extent if the scholar isn't a villager I'm suing

Though it would be nice to find a couple villagers or a wolf through in-thread means

But anyways whose up for sending mass qt's this game

- - - Updated - - -

That's a quick four votes onto Valmark...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Yeah, I'm giving JeenLeen townie points for trying to find suspects this early in D1, but those four votes popped up worryingly quickly, which makes me less inclined to think Valmark is actually a wolf. Helgraf's reasoning especially seems weird to me - it's only <12 hours into D1, we can worry about whether we'll get enough votes on someone later. Could be a wolf looking for an easy excuse to push a wagon, maybe?
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

J

As Narrator, I am on board. Go for it. It makes things more fun.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    Fair point. Valmark, care to elaborate on that comment?

(Side note: I still want to hear from Helgraf. RNGesus doesn't lie.)
    There is a role that would protect you from a lynch (ninja) so it's entirely possible for Xihirli to survive. Cao looked a bit too sure in his post.

Well it protects you from the first time you die, which can include a lynch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helgraf View Post
    Sure, let's make sure today isn't a waste. Valmark
    ...this smells so much of a wolf, but still being a new (at least, I never played with Helgraf) player I'm not going to vote here. Not on D1.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    As Narrator, I am on board. Go for it. It makes things more fun.
    Fair 'nuff.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

RNGesus doesn't lie, but it doesn't really say anything, now does it?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

A few thoughts/questions on Roles and powers.
    Is the wolf kill a factional kill, or done by a player? (Relevant for Beast Master/Hunter interpreting their results.)
    If done by a player, does that wolf also get the active power (if any) that their Role normally gives them?
    E.g., I assume a wolf!Ninja could kill without interfering with their 1-kill-dodge. But less clear if, say, a wolf!Thief could kill and vote-steal in the same Night.

Also, it seems like all the redirector/vortexer powers are not in play. Did I miss one? If I read it right, that probably simplifies things for us in interpreting the feedback we get from powers (plus just greatly simplifying things for gac3).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    A few thoughts/questions on Roles and powers.
    Is the wolf kill a factional kill, or done by a player? (Relevant for Beast Master/Hunter interpreting their results.)
    If done by a player, does that wolf also get the active power (if any) that their Role normally gives them?
    E.g., I assume a wolf!Ninja could kill without interfering with their 1-kill-dodge. But less clear if, say, a wolf!Thief could kill and vote-steal in the same Night.

Also, it seems like all the redirector/vortexer powers are not in play. Did I miss one? If I read it right, that probably simplifies things for us in interpreting the feedback we get from powers (plus just greatly simplifying things for gac3).
    It is simpler without them.

The wolf kill is chosen to be done by a specific player but they also get their normal power. Only reason we choose who does the kill is so it can still be detected by hunter/beast master type roles.

25. - Top - End - #25

Reading over the roles list, there's only one role (Ninja) that would survive a lynch. Honestly, what are the chances of someone getting the "survive the first time you would die" role twice in a row?

I can see the reason for putting pressure on Val, but those votes came on Val quick. I'm keeping an eye on it, but not sure I wanna commit to Val as Town/Wolf yet.

Meh I expect to have a town network d3 and solve the game thataway to an extent if the scholar isn't a villager I'm suing

If we were to "solve" the game, it would have to come from a town!Scholar, since they're the only way to prove someone either way. Not sure if we could mechanically get the roles to solve the game, since they probably work the same as town/mafia/neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Yeah, I'm giving JeenLeen townie points for trying to find suspects this early in D1, but those four votes popped up worryingly quickly, which makes me less inclined to think Valmark is actually a wolf. Helgraf's reasoning especially seems weird to me - it's only <12 hours into D1, we can worry about whether we'll get enough votes on someone later. Could be a wolf looking for an easy excuse to push a wagon, maybe?
    Keeping an eye on this defense of Valmark. This has a valid point, but if Val turns out to be a wolf it may be their buddy helping out.

Vote Count (4 minimum to lynch)

Valmark (4): Apogee1, JeenLeen, The Outsider, Helgraf
    CaoimhintheCape(1): Xihirli
    Apogee1 (1): Valmark
    Helgraf (1): Elenna

Not Voting (1): Kinro
    No Posts (2): BookWombat, Johnny Patches

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Reading over the roles list, there's only one role (Ninja) that would survive a lynch. Honestly, what are the chances of someone getting the "survive the first time you would die" role twice in a row?
    Exactly the same of literally anybody else getting it, since the probability isn't influnced by the event that already happened. Though this reasoning isn't something people do specifically as wolf or town.

27. - Top - End - #27

Exactly the same of literally anybody else getting it, since the probability isn't influnced by the event that already happened. Though this reasoning isn't something people do specifically as wolf or town.
    I mean, I suppose that's fair. With it being "mathematically correct" and all. But still, with only 1 role that wouldn't die from a lynch, I figured it was a pretty safe bet that it wasn't Xi. Also just wanted to throw in a callback to last game.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

As much as I like sentencing people to death, I'd rather hear from the quiet people first. Johnny Patches, care to speak up?
    Last edited by The Outsider; 2020-09-09 at 04:28 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Yeah, so I've been out of these types of games since ... 5-6 years ago. And I'm used to having erratic hours, so I post when I can to make sure I get a vote in. I have always believed that wasting a lynch favors only the wolves. We need 25% to get that. That's three votes. It's day one; we have amazingly little to work with, which always sucks - but surrendering a day, *especially* with a group this small to begin with is just not a good idea.

And so, I added my vote to ensure *someone* ended up in the rope once end of day arrives, in case we were still locked up and I was unable to get to my desktop when we're closed to actual end of phase.
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

But... most people are not wolves. Voting at random will most likely help the wolves. Especially since they know who they are and can make even more sure that it's not a wolf who gets voted in. But not voting give us one more night to gather some sort of information to make a decent decision.