New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default What are the current options for non-metal armor for druids?

Including any kooky items from organized play in AL.

I know of padded, leather, and hide in the bog standard mundane equipment section and dragon scale mail from the magic items in the DMG. Also wooden shields.

I seem to recall an example of a possible houserule of stone breastplate being mentioned in the DMG but not presented as part of the ruleset, too.

Edit: Not playing in AL, I just knew that there were some examples of non-metal armor from AL but couldn't remember any specifics.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2017-03-25 at 12:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What are the current options for non-metal armor for druids?

As a sort of pseudo-example, there's glamoured studded leather from the DMG, which has the mechanical properties of +1 studded leather, but can look like any sort of armour you like, or like normal clothes.

I hope someone will recall some real options here, but I kinda doubt it. Druids tend to get rather short thrift when it comes to magical items.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ioun Stone (debately works with wild shape), cloak/ring of protection, or maybe dabble with rules like "Alien Technology" (things like Kevlar Vests). There's not a lot of item support for mundane methods; multiclassing is generally the way to go to raise your AC. If you're including multiclassing, you can use the Monk's class feature to raise your AC to 18-20 (technically Barbarian too, although you'd have to have rolled incredibly high stats) or you can poach Mage Armor/Shield/Bladesong from 1 level of Wizard (or just use a feat for these) as the most straightforward 1 level dips.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

From mundane armor, Spiked Armor is medium and isn't made of metal completely, only the spikes are, if I'm not completely mistaken.

From DMG there is Dragon Scale mail (+1 Scale mail made of dragon scales, which is definitely not metal)

Any normally metal-made armor with a Minor Magical Property (DMG pg. 143) - 'Strange Material' could be anything non-metal. (Although, that's probably irrelevant for AL)
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-03-25 at 06:30 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I have hombrewed animal armor. A druid or really anyone can make armor out of different animal parts.

You can use the natural AC of a creature who's CR is half your level, its not bad and we had it that it lasts twice the days of the creatures CR, so CR8 would be 16 days.

So you could use the scales of a young dragon CR8 AC18, heavy armor proficiency required if you were level 16... its something. Perhaps someone else can take this idea an run with it.

Lots of giant crabs were killed

From another thread, we also do weapons as well

6. - Top - End - #6

Princes of the Apocalypse has stone full plate.
    Demiliches. Why'd it have to be demiliches?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I don't know how AL works, but you can't get a set of leather studded with something other than metal? Bone spikes, shiny seashells, smiley stickers?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Any normally metal-made armor with a Minor Magical Property (DMG pg. 143) - 'Strange Material' could be anything non-metal. (Although, that's probably irrelevant for AL)
    Yes, just what I was hoping for! I'll note that for my next update.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Panda View Post
    I don't know how AL works, but you can't get a set of leather studded with something other than metal? Bone spikes, shiny seashells, smiley stickers?
    Druids can use studded leather (see quote below). Whether that's because the studs aren't made of metal, or because the studs aren't enough to consider the armour to be 'made of metal' I couldn't say.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage
    A druid typically wears leather, studded leather, or hide armor
    Link to quote.
    Last edited by hymer; 2017-03-25 at 09:16 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I just tell Druids "You can use any medium armor. If its made of metal, for you, its made of bone. Same with shields."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

There is an AL adventure that has Halfplate of Poison Resistance made from fungus as a reward (quest for sporedrome?)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    I just tell Druids "You can use any medium armor. If its made of metal, for you, its made of bone. Same with shields."
    But wooden shields and metal shields have no differences?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Bone shields. Or scaled shields.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

It's stated that Druids won't use armour made of metal so I would assume this would go with shields, however you are correct unless teh shiled is a magic item the abse wooden/metal shield ahs the same AC.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I will avoid spoilers about where they drop but I understand all teh following are available in AL somewhere

Crystal breastplate +1
    magical stone breatplate
    Wooden scale male +1
    White dragon scale +1
    Red dragon scale +1
    Half-plate of Poison Resistance

It's worth noting that dragon scale mail requires attunement but that you can wear it without attuning and it's still scale mail. The attunement powers ain't bad though so maybe you won't mind attuning. My land druid has the red scale which is really nice but I'm thinking of getting my hands on another set of armor that's not attunement and just wearing that when I expect to fight dragons or otherwise need fire resistance. I might want another item attuned.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Bone shields. Or scaled shields.
    I've heard you the first time, but why? Wooden shields are no different stat-wise from metal shields.

Also the Druids are described as having a tradition of sacred woods for shields, but it depends on the campaign setting.

Come to think of it, can a Druid use a wooden shield as focus, if it's of the right wood?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I've heard you the first time, but why? Wooden shields are no different stat-wise from metal shields.

Also the Druids are described as having a tradition of sacred woods for shields, but it depends on the campaign setting.

Come to think of it, can a Druid use a wooden shield as focus, if it's of the right wood?
    I say 'bone' or 'scaled' just so nobody pulls a "HA HA, YOU GOT HIT WITH A FIREBALL, YOUR SHIELD SHOULD BE CINDERS!" type of move. Because some people try that garbage.

I believe a Druid could use it as a focus, similar to how a Cleric can have their holy symbol emblazoned on their shield and use that as a focus.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Spiked armor in the SCAG can be made with metal or wood spikes per the wording in the book. Also lizard folks in Volos can make shields for free from any medium sized animal. So, those could be pretty common in some campaigns.

Also a Dragon scale

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

I like the notion of a cactus carapace shield, though probably specifically for a Land Desert Druid.

19. - Top - End - #19

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by busterswd View Post
    Ioun Stone (debately works with wild shape), cloak/ring of protection, or maybe dabble with rules like "Alien Technology" (things like Kevlar Vests). There's not a lot of item support for mundane methods; multiclassing is generally the way to go to raise your AC. If you're including multiclassing, you can use the Monk's class feature to raise your AC to 18-20 (technically Barbarian too, although you'd have to have rolled incredibly high stats) or you can poach Mage Armor/Shield/Bladesong from 1 level of Wizard (or just use a feat for these) as the most straightforward 1 level dips.
    There's a section on Alien Technology? Nifty.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Well, I'm not playing in AL, just listing it as a source that I knew had some oddball and/or exotic items. Minor Magical Property, that's basically something that could be a rider effect on another magic item, right? Like, say, Mariner's Armor?

Quote Originally Posted by some guy View Post
    As a mundane item with a price to buy or a magic one?
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Well, I'm not playing in AL, just listing it as a source that I knew had some oddball and/or exotic items. Minor Magical Property, that's basically something that could be a rider effect on another magic item, right? Like, say, Mariner's Armor?
    It can indeed. MMPs are small, flavourful quirks on a standard magical item.

21. - Top - End - #21

I say 'bone' or 'scaled' just so nobody pulls a "HA HA, YOU GOT HIT WITH A FIREBALL, YOUR SHIELD SHOULD BE CINDERS!" type of move. Because some people try that garbage.
    Especially silly given just how difficult it is to burn the more fire-resistant types of trees. I guess they're assuming druids don't know the difference between types of trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

22. - Top - End - #22

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    As a mundane item with a price to buy or a magic one?
    It was forged by magic but it's mundane. There's no price to get it though. You kill someone that owns one or you join some evil cultist. =P

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Nobody has mentioned chitin as a material, so there's also chitin.

Also, it's conceivable that some DMs might allow for particularly tough hides to grant higher ACs on armours made from them.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Yeeeeaaah, but realize that different materials have different properties which can become relevant in certain games. Metal doesn't burn, but wood floats, as a quick example. Also, metal can be Heat Metal'ed, which I sometimes view as one reason Druids don't like to wear it...

The sacred wood thing is interesting. I think I'll use that if you're cool with it?

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Yuroch Kern View Post
    Yeeeeaaah, but realize that different materials have different properties which can become relevant in certain games. Metal doesn't burn, but wood floats, as a quick example. Also, metal can be Heat Metal'ed, which I sometimes view as one reason Druids don't like to wear it...

The sacred wood thing is interesting. I think I'll use that if you're cool with it?
    If you've got the right type of wood, it's not going to burn either. At least, not before a point where you'd start burning other materials like concrete.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2017-03-25 at 02:52 PM.
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

26. - Top - End - #26

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBeast View Post
    Nobody has mentioned chitin as a material, so there's also chitin.

Also, it's conceivable that some DMs might allow for particularly tough hides to grant higher ACs on armours made from them.
    I suppose we'll have to see if we encounter any Drow, then. Granted, I'm not quite sure how stripperiffic armor for a lady elf is going to fit our Dragonborn Druid, but I'm sure life will, uh, find a way.

I don't think we've acquired any particularly tough hides, unfortunately.

Unless Hill Giant counts.

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    It can indeed. MMPs are small, flavourful quirks on a standard magical item.
    Ahh, nice! Thank you.

We even have a set of Mariner's Armor that the DM hasn't defined as what kind of armor it is yet, so that might take care of that.

If not, we can probably just buy some wood-spiked Spiked Armor next time we hit a place to do some shopping, which, given the surprising amount of travel time it's taking us in the flying tower that's acting as our transportation, we'll have to do soon anyway just to refill on food. :V

Quote Originally Posted by Addaran View Post
    It was forged by magic but it's mundane. There's no price to get it though. You kill someone that owns one or you join some evil cultist. =P
    Ahh. Alas. The only evil cultists we encountered were some surprisingly polite evil wind cultists riding on giant vultures. Then again, they were trying to get a giant wizard to join them and he could have squashed them like bugs if they raised a stink, even without casting a spell or using his griffon-house cats on them.

None of us are particularly good at Deception(beyond our untrained Warlock with +4 Cha), so trying to pull one over on them by falsely joining them and pursuing quest leads from them or finagling an ambush to kill them and take their stuff or to kill and take the stuff of one or more evil wind cultist temples/hideouts probably wouldn't work.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2017-03-25 at 02:57 PM.
    Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    If you've got the right type of wood, it's not going to burn either. At least, not before a point where you'd start burning other materials like concrete.
    I don't burn shields or anything, but this seems utterly wrong to me. I mean, there might be 'a' type of wood that doesn't do this, but can you name any? Or are you referring to magical sacred woods that exist only in the game?
    Attacking the darkness since 2009.

Spoiler: Quotes I like
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal regarding What would a Cat Lord want? View Post
    She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz regarding randomly rolling edgelord backstories View Post
    Huh...Apparently I'm Agony Blood Blood, Half-orc Shadow Sorcerer. I killed a Dragons. I'm Chaotic Good, probably racist.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz View Post
    I don't burn shields or anything, but this seems utterly wrong to me. I mean, there might be 'a' type of wood that doesn't do this, but can you name any? Or are you referring to magical sacred woods that exist only in the game?
    Yes, I can name some. Cumaru wood for example has a class A fire resistance rating. Here's an example of someone trying to burn down something with a class A rating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q2EhZrPfF4.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    Yes, I can name some. Cumaru wood for example has a class A fire resistance rating. Here's an example of someone trying to burn down something with a class A rating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q2EhZrPfF4.
    Interesting. I definitely like knowing that, it could make a fun special material. Do you use largely or exclusively cumaru wood shields in your game?
    Attacking the darkness since 2009.

Spoiler: Quotes I like
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal regarding What would a Cat Lord want? View Post
    She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz regarding randomly rolling edgelord backstories View Post
    Huh...Apparently I'm Agony Blood Blood, Half-orc Shadow Sorcerer. I killed a Dragons. I'm Chaotic Good, probably racist.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz View Post
    Interesting. I definitely like knowing that, it could make a fun special material. Do you use largely or exclusively cumaru wood shields in your game?
    Cumaru wood isn't the only kind of wood that is hard to burn. It was just one example of a durable type of wood (boasting an A rating in fire resistance and a 3540 rating on the Janka hardness scale, which is why we use it for hardwood flooring and the like). That said, I would assume that druids are knowledgeable enough about plants to pick out a kind of wood for their shields that doesn't completely suck. I mean I would expect them to use wooden shields at least as fire-resistant as historical peoples used, and those things didn't all just burst into cinders when they got struck by flaming arrows and pitch.

It addition to choosing a durable type of wood, you can offer the shield various treatments to make it fire retardant, as well as wrap it in leather, hide, or other materials.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2017-03-25 at 03:24 PM.