New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Living Paint Pots [3.5, Race]

The Crayolons

Natives of the Demiplane of Colour along with the Blot Oozes, Rainbow Elementals, Prismatic Dragons and the dreaded Scribblelwyrm, the Crayolons are the creations of the ruler of the Demiplane, The Grand Artist. They function as the artists and crafters of the realm, creating grand masterpieces of which the cruder copies are sold in planar markets for a king's ransom.

Personality: The personality of a Crayolon can be best described as "manic". Nearly all Crayolons suffer from hyperactivity, and need an outlet to funnel this energy to or risk driving themselves insane. Nearly all Crayolons avoid the maddening boredom by painting, but Crayolons have also been known to do other crafts like woodcarving, metalworking, and making sandcastles out of iron filings. The other trait all Crayolons share is concentration. Once a Crayolon decides to make or do something, it's associates will find it hard to persuade it to do otherwise.

Physical Description: The standard Crayolon is about the size of a Halfling, with a big bulbous head and stubby arms and legs. They have no facial features other than two black dots for eyes and a deceptively small-looking mouth. Other than this, a Crayolon is very blank looking, and so body painting is popular among the Crayolons.

Relations: Relations between Crayolons and other races are limited at best, but from what encounters they have had with other races, a few things stand out. Crayolons tend to get along well with Halflings and Humans, all three races being generally open to relations. They clash with Dwarfs over how best to craft and create their masterpieces, and also clash with a lot of Orcs, who tend to break things a lot.

Alignment: Crayolons tend to be solidly Chaotic in nature, whimsically creating things from the gaudiest doodle to the most breathtaking masterpiece in one day. How far they vary from the usual Good part of their alignment depends on their upbringing, mostly. The Crayolons created directly by The Grand Artist tend to be Chaotic and Good, the Crayolons enslaved by the Scrawlwyrm and his progeny tend to be Chaotic and Evil, and the Crayolons raised in Crayolon cities tend to be Chaotic and Neutral.

Crayolon Lands: The Crayolons all originate the Demiplane of Colour, but can be found in places like Sigil and Union selling their wares.

Religion: Crayolons do not really worship gods or ideals, but if they do they focus their worship to the creation of religious paintings and icons.

Language: Crayolons have not bothered to create a language of their own, and so just speak Common and Chroman, the language of their native plane.

Names: Craylons do not use surnames or names designated for one sex or the other as unsurprisingly, Crayolons use colours, patterns and shades as their names.

Names: Abstract, Apricot, Blue, Camouflage, Checkers, Green, Grey, Squiggle, Violet

Adventurers: Crayolons adventure for new experiences, new techniques to craft, and new sights to capture with their paint brushes.

---

Crayolon Racial Traits

• Outsider type. Crayolons are native to the Demiplane of Colour, and gain the Extraplanar subtype when not in the Demiplane of Colour.
    • +2 Int, -2 Cha, -2 Wis. Crayolons are intelligent, but their personalities are grating and their minds are inattentive.
    • Small sized. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
    • A Crayolon's Base Land Speed is 20ft.
    • Produce Paint (Ex): A Crayolon can produce usable paint of nearly any colour indefinitely from special glands in its mouth, and can produce enough paint to use in crafting without effort (a free action, if relevant). Also, once every 1d4 rounds a Crayolon may use a paint-based, 30ft cone breath attack that deals 1d2 damage and blinds anyone that fails a Reflex Save until the blinded creature takes a move action to wipe the pain from their eyes. The Save DC is 10 + 1/2 Class level + Con Mod.
    • A Crayolon has a +2 racial bonus on all Craft (Painting) and Concentration checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Common and Chroman. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Ignan, Terran.
    • Favored Class: Artificer. Crayolons are born crafters and painters.
    • Level Adjustment: +0

---

---

The Demiplane of Colour

Spoiler
    Show

Planar Traits and History
    Colourful Critters I: Blot Ooze
    Colourful Critters II: Rainbow Elemental
    Colourful Critters III: The Scribblewyrm
    Magical Masterpieces: Rainbow Domain by unosarta
    Vibrant Creations: Armor, Equipment and Weaponry.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2012-01-05 at 05:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga
    3DS Friend Code - 4098-2424-2486

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Living Paint Pots [3.5, Race]

I want to play one. Paint spitting would be pretty fun!
    And sand-castles out of Iron filings? High-larry-ous. I enjoyed reading it, looking forward to the other residents of the Plane.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

You give them -2 Con and never mention it, but mention "grating personalities". Did you mean -2 Cha?

They seem sort of weak, but look like they'd be fun to play. Their personality section kinda reminds me of Kender, though, only instead of stealing things they paint (so a lot better than Kender, but a racial hyperactivity still seems like a majority of people who play these would be playing them for the LOLSORANDUMB )

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Entertaining, though I do rather wish Produce Paint was a breath weapon and had a limit in rounds till you could use it again rather than number of times per day, if only so as to combine it with metabreath feats, and cover opponents in paint while producing a paint cloud.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

What, no specific Craft (painting) bonus? I am appalled!
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-08-23 at 07:03 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    I want to play one. Paint spitting would be pretty fun!
    And sand-castles out of Iron filings? High-larry-ous. I enjoyed reading it, looking forward to the other residents of the Plane.
    Glad you like it. Blot Oozes are next up, if I can get my head round on making monsters (not too good at that )

Quote Originally Posted by wuwuwu View Post
    You give them -2 Con and never mention it, but mention "grating personalities". Did you mean -2 Cha?
    I did indeed mean -2 Cha. Good catch.

They seem sort of weak, but look like they'd be fun to play. Their personality section kinda reminds me of Kender, though, only instead of stealing things they paint (so a lot better than Kender, but a racial hyperactivity still seems like a majority of people who play these would be playing them for the LOLSORANDUMB )
    That is....true. However, being a manic painter is probably better than a klepto.

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Entertaining, though I do rather wish Produce Paint was a breath weapon and had a limit in rounds till you could use it again rather than number of times per day, if only so as to combine it with metabreath feats, and cover opponents in paint while producing a paint cloud.
    Near-Unlimited Colour Spray feels like it would be nasty broken at low levels, so maybe I could upgrade it to a breath attack with a Paragon class. Split Breath Colour Spray is too cool not to do. DOUBLE RAINBOW ALL THE WAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    What, no specific Craft (painting) bonus? I am appalled!
    Huh. Of all the things to forget......
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga

7. - Top - End - #7

If I make a character of this race, I'm naming him
    Dr. Smock-togonapus. I went there.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

8. - Top - End - #8

The Demiplane of Colour

The Demiplane of Colour has the following planar traits;
    • Normal Gravity
    • Normal Time
    • Alterable Morphic: The Demiplane itself is quite stable, although it can be morphed to a powerful desire, as with most other planes.
    • Mildly Chaotic-Aligned
    • Vibrant Colours: All spells that involve colors, like Colour Spray and the various Prismatic spells, are automatically Extended and Maximised without an increase in spell level or casting time.

The Demiplane of Colour has persisted in the Great Wheel ever since the first creature crawled out of their rock and saw the primordial worlds in a vibrant palette of colour. For a while, it was a chaotic place unlike a paint-filled Limbo with pretty colours, but one fateful day, a newly exalted Quasi-deity of fine arts and brilliant colour travelled to the plane, deciding this would be his domain. From the churning colours he crafted Crayolons and Rainbow Elementals, landmasses, deep blue seas and grand cities for them to live in, and from the remains of their creation he did the best he could and breathed life directly into them, creating Blot Oozes. He grabbed the rainbows from the skies themselves, and with permission from the draconic deity Io, he bent them into the shape of dragons and created Prismatic Dragons, as the Quasi-deity had the idea that no plane is a proper plane of existance until it had a dragon species of its own.
    For a while, The Grand Artist (a name coined by an Elder Rainbow Elemental) ruled his land whimsically, but alas, not all his creations were as benign as he is. One Crayolon decided that he would out-do his creator in dragon creating, and for 40 days and 40 nights he locked himself away in his workshop. Sadly, he was not the sharpest knife in the kitchen, and one dab of paint sourced from the Far Realms later the Scribblewyrm was born. He slaughtered his creator, and razed the cities of the Crayolons. The Grand Artist was forced to step in and imprison the drake within a portrait of grandeur, unwilling to destroy a work of art, no matter how horrid. With tears of azure running down his face, he threw the painting to the deepest, darkest parts of the Demiplane.
    The Scribblewyrm thrashed and smashed it's prison to no avail, so the Scribblewyrm was forced to create a Cerebrotic Blot around its prison. While it could summon up an avatar within the Blot, it was still limited in its conquest. To this end, it created its own mockeries of The Grand Artist's creations, and now it slowly spreads its armies, pillaging cities and amassing power in an attempt to free itself from its prison, knowing full well The Grand Artist will not simply strike down the Scribblewyrm or its creations.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2012-01-05 at 06:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    Vibrant Colours: All spells that involve colors, like Colour Spray and the various Prismatic spells, are automatically Extended and Maximised without an increase in spell level or casting time.
    Whee!
    Prismatic Wall, Throo Da Roo'! *raises crossed arms with a goofy look on face, hooked "claw" hands, proceeds to witness the destruction this creates*

Whee!

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Blot Ooze

Size/Type: Large Ooze (Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice: 4d10+32 (54 hp)
    Initiative: -5
    Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares)
    Armor Class: 4 (-1 size, -5 Dex), touch 4, flat-footed 4
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+7
    Attack: Slam +2 melee (1d6 plus 1d6 acid)
    Full Attack: Slam +2 melee (1d6 plus 1d6 acid)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Rainbow Cannon, Visual Bombardment.
    Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., immunities, ooze traits, Colour sink.
    Saves: Fort +9, Ref -4, Will -4
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 1, Con 26, Int Ø, Wis 1, Cha 1
    Skills:
    Feats:
    Environment: Demiplane of Colour
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 5-12 HD (Large); 13-24 HD (Huge);
    Level Adjustment:

As you explore the wondrous land around you, a puddle of paint rises up with life, and slowly undulates with a shimmer of colour as it senses its surroundings.

The "leftovers" of the Demiplane of Colour, the Blot Oozes are one of the few native fauna, and while benign and docile, they can and will spray any attackers with blinding ooze if they feel threatened enough. Blot Ooze spray is noted as a good paint when vibrant, outlandish colours are needed.
    Blot Oozes do not speak.

Combat

Colour Sink (Ex): Blot Oozes simply absorb any offensive use of colour, and so they are immune to any spell that involve colour, like the Prismatic spells. In addition, using this spell on a Blot Ooze heals the ooze for 5hp times the level of the spell.

Rainbow Cannon (Ex): As a standard action, the Blot Ooze can fire a splatter of paint in a 30ft line. All those in range of the line must make a DC20 Fortitude Save or become dazed for 1 round. This ability is Con Based.

Visual Bombardment (Su): When scared or threatened, the Blot Ooze glows with a multitude of colours that inhibit its attackers. Anyone attacking a Blot Ooze treats it as if the Ooze had partial concealment.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2012-01-05 at 07:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Living Paint Pots [3.5, Race]

Something you might want to consider - perhaps they can secrete a special pigment once a day that functions as Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments? It would make them a more formidable race.

But yeah, these guys are really cool. I would so play one if my group still used DnD. I even had an entire character once who was basically a magical graffiti artist. : )
    Last edited by lothofkalroth; 2011-08-24 at 10:00 PM. Reason: add thumbs up

Tired of looking up detailed rules?
    Looking for a simple universal system that doesn't sacrifice creativity?
    Always wanted vaguely art-deco character sheets?

[Try 2d6]

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by lothofkalroth View Post
    Something you might want to consider - perhaps they can secrete a special pigment once a day that functions as Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments? It would make them a more formidable race.

But yeah, these guys are really cool. I would so play one if my group still used DnD. I even had an entire character once who was basically a magical graffiti artist. : )
    Glad you like it. Making some Marvellous Pigments sounds like a paragon class feature to me!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga

13. - Top - End - #13

The blot ooze looks good, but a few things:

Permanent blinding for the breath weapon? Pretty harsh for paint.

Total concealment is pretty much invisibility. Try partial.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    The blot ooze looks good, but a few things:

Permanent blinding for the breath weapon? Pretty harsh for paint.

Total concealment is pretty much invisibility. Try partial.
    1. I shall try dazing instead.
    2. Partial is good too.
    3. Any guesses on a CR?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga

15. - Top - End - #15

CR should be no more than 4-5.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh my goodness, this reminds me of the Rainbow Domain, and the extra Prismatic spells I made. Can I make a prestige class or something for this? Like, talk about fantastic wonderful creations, you have a plane of rainbows. It doesn't get better than that!
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-08-25 at 01:22 PM.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

17. - Top - End - #17

I imagine that parts of the demiplane of colour are a lot like the LOLAR.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

The Demiplane of Color should have a language, and it shall be named Chroman, and it should be an automatic language for it's inhabitants. That is all...

Seriously though, they look awesome. I would totally play one.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Spikey Mace of Looking at All Sides of the Question
    Anyone who can tell me what my avatar is gets a cookie.

19. - Top - End - #19

CR should be no more than 4-5.
    Gotcha. CR 5 it is.

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Oh my goodness, this reminds me of the Rainbow Domain, and the extra Prismatic spells I made. Can I make a prestige class or something for this? Like, talk about fantastic wonderful creations, you have a plane of rainbows. It doesn't get better than that!
    Feel free to make whatever you like. I'm gonna put that domain somewhere in the 1st post, if that's cool.

I imagine that parts of the demiplane of colour are a lot like the LOLAR.
    I imagine it is.

Quote Originally Posted by SlashRunner View Post
    The Demiplane of Color should have a language, and it shall be named Chroman, and it should be an automatic language for it's inhabitants. That is all...

Seriously though, they look awesome. I would totally play one.
    Glad you like it. All I got on the Chroman was some weird Star Wars race from Google.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Feel free to make whatever you like. I'm gonna put that domain somewhere in the 1st post, if that's cool.
    Go ahead, feel free. Oh man, a Crayolon Cleric with the Rainbow Domain would be like twelve kinds of awesome.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Gotcha. CR 5 it is.
    All I got on the Chroman was some weird Star Wars race from Google.
    Just as the language of the Plane of Fire is Ignan, and the Plane of Water is Aquan, and the Planes of Earth and Air are Terran and Auran respectively, so shall the inhabitants of the Plane of Color speak Chroman.
    If you didn't get it, chrom is the Latin root for color.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Spikey Mace of Looking at All Sides of the Question
    Anyone who can tell me what my avatar is gets a cookie.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by SlashRunner View Post
    Just as the language of the Plane of Fire is Ignan, and the Plane of Water is Aquan, and the Planes of Earth and Air are Terran and Auran respectively, so shall the inhabitants of the Plane of Color speak Chroman.
    If you didn't get it, chrom is the Latin root for color.
    Ah. Chroman it is then.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

"Royal Amethystalignisian"

Just saying, you should make a spell requiring some of that as a spell component.
    Yes, I made the name up. Yes, it's inspired by the words "Amethyst", "Ignis", and "Royal". It's a vibrant swirl of reds, oranges, and purples. And it's native only to the demiplane of Color.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

I, for one, like the race, the demiplane and all ideas involved, and would love to see a sort of this-race-only class, paragon or prestige class.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Would anyone mind if I made a racial PrC for this?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

How about for the racial breath weapon, instead of copying the color spray spell, blinded targets for 1d4 rounds, or until they take a move action to wipe the paint off their eyes?
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    Would anyone mind if I made a racial PrC for this?
    *Is surprised*
    Sure. What have you got in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    How about for the racial breath weapon, instead of copying the color spray spell, blinded targets for 1d4 rounds, or until they take a move action to wipe the paint off their eyes?
    Yes. Looking now, this race is downright scary at low levels with Colour Spray being borked and all.

Right, I might as well stat up the Scribblewyrm* while I have been reminded of this project. I also need to revisit the Charcharodons.

*Would anyone prefer I stat up the Scribblewyrm as a singular monster, or an Elder Evil?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

This is so cool. I can't wait to see the Scrawlwyrm/Scribblewyrm.

I kind of like the idea of the Scribblewyrm being like a sort of lawful-evil counterpart to the Artist.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

The save DC for their breath weapon should be based off of Con, not Cha. It's not a magical attack; they're spraying paint out of their mouths. Physical attacks like that fall under Con. This is especially important with their racial Cha penalty; everyone needs Con, but they either have to focus on Cha or their racial weapon will be useless, leaving this a very underpowered choice of race.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    The save DC for their breath weapon should be based off of Con, not Cha. It's not a magical attack; they're spraying paint out of their mouths. Physical attacks like that fall under Con. This is especially important with their racial Cha penalty; everyone needs Con, but they either have to focus on Cha or their racial weapon will be useless, leaving this a very underpowered choice of race.
    Gotcha. Also, Rainbow Elemental coming soon!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga