New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Thufir's Third Random Banter #224

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I want a Gundam table top game. I don't mind customization but Battletech is way more focused on Shoot The Bullet and big stompy war tank aesthetic than I want. Let me have my god damn funnels.

What's FEFBR?

Lime and grape milk would be disgusting and shockingly good, in that order. Banananana milk already exists.
    I never really got into Gundam. I enjoyed the first series enough, but couldn't get into later ones. Plus I kind of like the 'humanoid tank' aesthetic, the engineer in me understands that anything that big and humanoid is going to be as agile as a hippopotamus on a skateboard, my system assumes that mecha have the rough defence class of a barn unless they're firing boosters (which they're supposed to do in combat, but eats into the same fuel supply as their generators). Mechas that leave out boosters either have to go heavy on weapons and try to power through their target's armour, or heavy on armour and try to stonewall.

Actually, considering how many details over established I should probably just bite the bullet and create a setting for this this game. An eternal war over a colonised planet in an FTL-less universe or something.

FE:F:BR is Fire Emblem: Fates: Birthright, although I'm already a little annoyed that it seems like they're going to have the MC fight for the country they were born in and not the one where they grew up, have ties and immersion in the culture. It's annoying, because I'm liking the gameplay.

Also you don't have to tell me that banananananana milk exists, it's my favourite flavour.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I never really got into Gundam. I enjoyed the first series enough, but couldn't get into later ones. Plus I kind of like the 'humanoid tank' aesthetic, the engineer in me understands that anything that big and humanoid is going to be as agile as a hippopotamus on a skateboard, my system assumes that mecha have the rough defence class of a barn unless they're firing boosters (which they're supposed to do in combat, but eats into the same fuel supply as their generators). Mechas that leave out boosters either have to go heavy on weapons and try to power through their target's armour, or heavy on armour and try to stonewall.

Actually, considering how many details over established I should probably just bite the bullet and create a setting for this this game. An eternal war over a colonised planet in an FTL-less universe or something.

FE:F:BR is Fire Emblem: Fates: Birthright, although I'm already a little annoyed that it seems like they're going to have the MC fight for the country they were born in and not the one where they grew up, have ties and immersion in the culture. It's annoying, because I'm liking the gameplay.

Also you don't have to tell me that banananananana milk exists, it's my favourite flavour.
    To be fair hippo's are actually surprisingly agile given their size. But yeah that's cool and all but I don't really want the hardest hard realism ever. That's why I dislike Battletech, it's just a bunch of walking gun platforms and that's so ****ing boring. Gundam is real robot, but it's got ESPers and beam swords and humanoid mechs that are basically Large Infantry and I like that so much more. Also funnels! I cannot begin to describe how much I LOVE funnels. Just these little flying drones you control with your brain (or with an intensely steady hand and some fishing wire) that fly around shooting stuff at your enemy. It's great I love them so much and they're so cute and all the mechs that make use of funnels are my favorite.

Aahy, okay. And yeah if you're watch Birthright they're, of course, going to go to their home land. It's their Birthright, after all. The one you'd want to see is Conquest, which is him fighting for Nohr. Also you're gonna get more annoyed at time goes on, I LIKE Fates but it's uh... it's got Problems.

My favorite is Strawberry but Banana is good too.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The in-universe justification is Gellar Fields AFAIK. The same forcefields that let beam weapons function also cocoons the robots, so they walk on top of their fields to keep from sinking and can move with more agility.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    The in-universe justification is Gellar Fields AFAIK. The same forcefields that let beam weapons function also cocoons the robots, so they walk on top of their fields to keep from sinking and can move with more agility.
    If you're talking Gundam, it's Minosvky Particles. That's how short range mech combat even works, scanning the particles released by their engines so they can find each other in the black deep nothing of space.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If you're talking Gundam, it's Minosvky Particles. That's how short range mech combat even works, scanning the particles released by their engines so they can find each other in the black deep nothing of space.
    Sorry, got my mechs mixed up. Gellar fields are 40K and protect you from da Warp.

6. - Top - End - #66

Sorry, got my mechs mixed up. Gellar fields are 40K and protect you from da Warp.
    Ironically Minovsky Particles would do the opposite, since high exposure leads to psionic powers.

Mixing them up would probably be a bad idea.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ironically Minovsky Particles would do the opposite, since high exposure leads to psionic powers.

Mixing them up would probably be a bad idea.
    Heck of a crossover series though. 40k bots are hilariously oversized in the fluff, they have made progressively smaller ones over time so they can be game usable. 1,500ft imperial titans with hundreds of plasma cannons vs fast demon possessed gundams.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

It's a generic system descended from the system used in Cyberpunk 2020 and Mekton. I got it a few months back because the book was on sale for £1, and while not amazing it's an easier base to start from than GURPS is.
    Oh wow. That's amazing.

9. - Top - End - #69

Heck of a crossover series though. 40k bots are hilariously oversized in the fluff, they have made progressively smaller ones over time so they can be game usable. 1,500ft imperial titans with hundreds of plasma cannons vs fast demon possessed gundams.
    Given even basic ass Gundam's can take down things far larger than them (Rip in piss Big Zam you lunatic of a walker-mech) I have to imagine demon fueled Gundams would be like Unicornw whenever it gets a sniff of Newtype energy. Which is to say it basically would burrow into it like a bloatfly and eat it inside out.

**** a Gundam/Warhammer 40k crossover would actually rule so much. Amuro Ray shows up and just makes every imperial soldier fall to their knees and he doesn't kill them because despite all appearances to the contrary he doesn't serve Korn, he serves Tzencitch.

Gonna be thinking about this all ****ing day thank you TVTyrant.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-10-10 at 02:26 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

That's why I dislike Battletech, it's just a bunch of walking gun platforms and that's so ****ing boring.
    Aw, no love for spider tanks?
    I have a soft spot for those suckers. Humanoid robots can be cool, too (especially flow-y ones), but, I dunno. There's just something about the scuttlers that gets to me.

(Very glad to hear that I was able to give you something that fit your needs. Man, really want to play it again, but oooooooof is popcorn initiative terrible for play by post.)

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Aw, no love for spider tanks?
    I have a soft spot for those suckers. Humanoid robots can be cool, too (especially flow-y ones), but, I dunno. There's just something about the scuttlers that gets to me.

(Very glad to hear that I was able to give you something that fit your needs. Man, really want to play it again, but oooooooof is popcorn initiative terrible for play by post.)
    What's popcorn initiative?

Also I LOVE spider tanks. I want to pet a Tachikoma so much that I'd probably kill someone to do it. But like, Battletech doesn't have any of that. It's just big stompy two legged walking gun platforms. There's no style, there's no grace, to Battletech. And that's like the point. And if you wanna see a King Crab assault stomp on a locust and just man handle some jackass, that's all well and cool. But there's just nothing in it for me.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

What's popcorn initiative?

Also I LOVE spider tanks. I want to pet a Tachikoma so much that I'd probably kill someone to do it. But like, Battletech doesn't have any of that. It's just big stompy two legged walking gun platforms. There's no style, there's no grace, to Battletech. And that's like the point. And if you wanna see a King Crab assault stomp on a locust and just man handle some jackass, that's all well and cool. But there's just nothing in it for me.
    Popcorn initiative is basically:
    1) One side elects someone to go
    2) The other side elects someone to go
    3) The first side elects someone who hasn't gone yet this round to go
    4) The second side elects someone who hasn't yet gone this round to go

N) There are no people left to activate on one side, so the other side activates all their remaining people in whatever order they choose.
    Then the round starts over. (In this case, with the side that did not have the most recent activation.)

So, turns pop up randomly like popcorn - hence the name. It's a cool concept, allowing a lot of strategy... but, maaaaan does it not work for play-by-post. Since it requires quick analysis of the situation and consensus.

And, ah, fair enough. Yeah, just big blocky mechs don't do it too much for me. I need some sleekness. Eldar, not Imperial.

13. - Top - End - #73

Aaah, cool.

I could probably run a PBP of that game really easily but that'd suck since I wanna plaaaay in the mecha game. Grumle gramble.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

I could probably run a PBP of that game really easily but that'd suck since I wanna plaaaay in the mecha game. Grumle gramble.
    That's what GMPCs are for. Rounding out party numbers. Clearly. And no ulterior motives.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I thought y'all liked your milk in bags.
    I still don't get how Americans can mock Canadian milkbagging when US milk comes in boxes. Did the humble bottle not survive across the Atlantic?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Given even basic ass Gundam's can take down things far larger than them (Rip in piss Big Zam you lunatic of a walker-mech) I have to imagine demon fueled Gundams would be like Unicornw whenever it gets a sniff of Newtype energy. Which is to say it basically would burrow into it like a bloatfly and eat it inside out.

**** a Gundam/Warhammer 40k crossover would actually rule so much. Amuro Ray shows up and just makes every imperial soldier fall to their knees and he doesn't kill them because despite all appearances to the contrary he doesn't serve Korn, he serves Tzencitch.

Gonna be thinking about this all ****ing day thank you TVTyrant.
    You say that like serving Tzeentch is any better than serving Khorne. (it's not. Worst that can happen serving Khorne is you get brutally murdered)

I've only seen Iron-Blooded Orphans as far as Gundam series go, but from what I understand 40k/Gundam would definitely be a cool crossover. The main issue I see is that 40k's power scaling is... truly, TRULY ridonkulus. Just in terms of the Imperium's mech units, you have everything from Dreadnoughts (about the size of a large tank) to Imperator War Titans (400 feet tall) and everything in between.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I still don't get how Americans can mock Canadian milkbagging when US milk comes in boxes. Did the humble bottle not survive across the Atlantic?
    I... What? Most people get their milk from plastic jugs here.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    You say that like serving Tzeentch is any better than serving Khorne. (it's not. Worst that can happen serving Khorne is you get brutally murdered)

I've only seen Iron-Blooded Orphans as far as Gundam series go, but from what I understand 40k/Gundam would definitely be a cool crossover. The main issue I see is that 40k's power scaling is... truly, TRULY ridonkulus. Just in terms of the Imperium's mech units, you have everything from Dreadnoughts (about the size of a large tank) to Imperator War Titans (400 feet tall) and everything in between.
    I meant more that "surprise, Amuro would be a demon worshipper of the tactical guy instead of the war guy" not that Tzeentch was even better than Khorne.

Also I mean technically the blue furry nerds and their robots who I can't remember are Gundam-like so it's not impossible.

I have to imagine it's a joke about milk crates. Or Almond Milk.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-10-10 at 03:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

PirateCaptain

Really? TV had led me to believe that you got your milk in cartons.

20. - Top - End - #80

Oh right those. Yeah those are a thing. People typically go for the jugs though.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Aahy, okay. And yeah if you're watch Birthright they're, of course, going to go to their home land. It's their Birthright, after all. The one you'd want to see is Conquest, which is him fighting for Nohr. Also you're gonna get more annoyed at time goes on, I LIKE Fates but it's uh... it's got Problems.
    I'm planning to play Conquest, but I began with Birthright because apparently it's easier and this is my first Fire Emblem.

Oh right those. Yeah those are a thing. People typically go for the jugs though.
    That's what she said!

Is that the door there? I'll show myself out.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Cartons exist, but aren't as big so they're less commonly used. Which is a shame, since I'd be much happier with paper-based cartons than plastic-based jugs.

Why, do y'all still have glass bottles delivered to your cottage every half-fortnight by the milkduffer?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

I meant more that "surprise, Amuro would be a demon worshipper of the tactical guy instead of the war guy" not that Tzeentch was even better than Khorne.
    Eh... arguable.

Also I mean technically the blue furry nerds and their robots who I can't remember are Gundam-like so it's not impossible.
    The Tau are cowardly little bitches who can't even fight in melee like REAL honorable warriors ought mainly compete through massive range and exceptional firepower. (one of their bigger mechs is basically just a really big gun with legs) You'd think there'd be a size comparison between the two out there already... if there is I can't find it.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #84

I would not be comfortable drinking from something that looks so much like a bottle of detergent ...
    Also seems like a lot of milk at once. We are talking about one of those, right? My googling gives me conflicting results ...
    Last edited by Iruka; 2019-10-10 at 03:55 PM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    I would not be comfortable drinking from something that looks so much like a bottle of detergent ...
    Also seems like a lot of milk at once. We are talking about one of those, right? My googling gives me conflicting results ...
    Yeah but in a place that's cold as **** like up here they last for quite a bit.

Also I mean yeah it's a lot of milk but a lot of stuff uses milk. Mashed potatoes, baking, omelette, no cold water so you just drink half a gallon in a day which I did ONE ****ING TIME ONLY and I haven't lived down still, cereal. People use a lot of milk, so getting a big ole jug is important!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, that's one option. I much prefer the cartons, but the 4L jug is a better deal than two 2L cartons, and we go through it enough to reach before the 4L expires, so...

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I haven't seen those bottles for quite a while now.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The way it mostly works is we bring the gallon or half gallon home, then we pour it into a glass. Milk isn't much of a to-go drink, you usually don't take milk with you during the day.

29. - Top - End - #89

The way it mostly works is we bring the gallon or half gallon home, then we pour it into a glass. Milk isn't much of a to-go drink, you usually don't take milk with you during the day.
    Unless of course you have Milk 2 Go.

Incidentally they emailed me back and said they'd pass on my input to marketing. To be honest I don't really care at this point and just hope it amuses them.

Also as an aside Milk 2 Go's french name is a really ****ing good pun. "Laits Go!", which is basically "milk to go" but also "let's go" it rules, it's so good.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Why, do y'all still have glass bottles delivered to your cottage every half-fortnight by the milkduffer?
    *puts on deerstalker cap, monocole, and pipe*

Why of course, how else would one fetch milk, send the servant out for it? They're already too busy picking up the meat for the sunday roast.

Also I mean yeah it's a lot of milk but a lot of stuff uses milk. Mashed potatoes, baking, omelette, no cold water so you just drink half a gallon in a day which I did ONE ****ING TIME ONLY and I haven't lived down still, cereal. People use a lot of milk, so getting a big ole jug is important!
    I've never put milk in an omelette. Just straight beaten eggs and filling.

ETA: hooray for strongly worded letters, they at least get looked at before being ignored!
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-10-10 at 04:05 PM.

Show