New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default An Inevitable for WBL? Equivalent creature?

Inevitables. 3 in the MM. For breaking oaths, cheating death, and evading justice.
    2 in the Fiend Folio. One for policing time, another for defending godhood.
    And finally, one in Sandstorm which represent "the inevitability of the waste."

Are there any others?

Are there some for characters who a) break the action economy? b) break CL? c) break the wealth by level chart?
    Fluff-wise I suppose these would be Inevitables policing a) speed, b) how and where magical energies are channeled, and c) the fiscal boundaries of the multiverse.

Are there any 3rd party Inevitables? Or even official creatures which would fit the bill if we just tacked the word 'Inevitable' onto them?

Thanks regardless Playgrounders.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: An Inevitable for WBL? Equivalent creature?

You could just make a inevitable whose purpose is to enforce the gentleman's agreement. Three (or more) birds with one stone!
    Last edited by Augmental; 2013-06-27 at 08:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Specific inevitables may be tasked with missions that may take them outside their type's classic field of enforcement. Often times, if the mission is important enough, the inevitable will cut quite a large profile in it's approach to enforcement, and may sweep up many on the way to mission completion.

Economic dysfunction may fall more under the realm of a god of wealth/commerce/trade, and such a god might be more likely to use outsiders like justicators, arcadian avengers, or the like.

Finally, while a WBL-infringement inevitable might not specifically exist, many inevitables indiscriminately apply punitive measures against anyone a party to a violation. Classic broad-brush behavior, but many inevitables are given broad discretion in meting out justice. So, if the character slinging around the gp is friends with someone scoffing at the gods, or if the character is inadvertently funding a cult that seeks to use undeath to extend their lives, well, the character is part of the problem.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Augmental View Post
    You could just make a inevitable whose purpose is to enforce the gentleman's agreement. Three (or more) birds with one stone!
    Here, I'll stat it up:
    Munchkarut

Size/Type: Large Construct (Extraplanar, Lawful)
    Hit Dice: ∞d10+30 (∞)
    Initiative: +Before You
    Speed: 400 ft. (80 squares)
    Armor Class: No, touch No, flat-footed No
    Base Attack/Grapple: +Enough/+Enormous
    Attack: Slam +Yes melee (2d6+Lots)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +Yes melee (2d6+Lots)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Rocks fall, greater scrying, spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities: DR 50/epic and chaotic and adamantine, immunity to magic, lightning strike, regeneration
    Saves: Fort +Yes, Ref +Yes, Will +Yes
    Abilities: Str Lots, Dex Enough, Con -, Int Plenty, Wis Superior, Cha Sufficient
    Skills: Yes
    Feats: All of them
    Environment: Mechanus
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: Yes
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always lawful neutral
    Advancement: --
    Level Adjustment: --

Munchkaruts are the greater cousins of kolyaruts, punishing those who break the mysterious laws known as the Gentlemen's Agreement. No force can stop their wrath.

Combat
    It kills you. 'Nuff said.

Rocks Fall (Ex):
    As a free action, the Munchkarut can will a creature it can see to be utterly destroyed. A massive rockfall from thin air above the creature removes all effects currently active (including supernatural abilities) and destroys all magic items (including crafted contingencies) as Mordenkainen's disjunction, deals 100d12 damage (which bypasses DR by virtue of being falling damage, and does lethal damage despite any form of regeneration), and removes the memory of the creature from existence, as unname. The rocks do not harm anything but the creature targeted.

Greater Scrying (Ex):
    As the spell, except that there is no save, and mind blank and similar effects are ignored. A creature being scried upon by the Munchkarut is a valid target for Rocks Fall.

Spell-Like Abilities:
    At-will: greater teleport, disintegrate, plane shift, greater celerity; 3/day: foresight.

Immunity to Magic (Ex):
    As the general golem ability; no spell or effect has any special effect on the Munchkarut.

Lightning Strike (Ex):
    As the Dire Tortoise's ability.

Regeneration (Ex):
    As the Tarrasque.

Last edited by TuggyNE; 2013-06-29 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Alignment
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

But how does it deal with Forcecage?
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Problem: You can shapechange into the Munchkarut and get Rocks Fall as an ability.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Master View Post
    Problem: You can shapechange into the Munchkarut and get Rocks Fall as an ability.
    Obviously, shapechanging into a munchkarut will trigger the appearance of 10d100 munchkaruts, all intent on destroying the imposter. The death of any munchkarut triggers a second wave of 10d100.

The result is either a planet-wide implosion as the mass of munchkaruts causes gravitational collapse, or the arrival of Pun-Pun on the scene to create an atmosphere of seriousness amid the general levity.

In fact, this leads me to conjecture on the possible paradox of the "Two Munchkaruts." If one were to exist in the room with another, they would instantly engage in a potentially endless effort to annihilate each other. I conclude that there are either a maximum of one munchkarut in existence, or perhaps any odd number.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Please tell me how you get an infinite CL (I don't know how to type the symbol >_<)
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Master View Post
    Actually, you can't. Shapechange only lets you assume a form of up to 25 HD. Since a Munchkraut has more than that, you can't Shapechange into one.

The bigger problem is that Pun-Pun can get and use Rocks Fall through Maniupulate Form.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-06-27 at 09:45 PM.

"What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Please tell me how you get an infinite CL (I don't know how to type the symbol >_<)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karnith View Post
    Actually, you can't. Shapechange only lets you assume a form of up to 25 HD. Since a Munchkraut has more than that, you can't shapechange into one.
    [Space reserved for Tippy and what stands to be a very interesting series of solars, ice assassins, and general Cosmic Descrying.]

*Goes to the rooftop to fire up the Tippy Signal*
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-06-27 at 09:43 PM.

Extended Sigbox

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Needs a "throw DMG" ability.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Actually, you can't. Shapechange only lets you assume a form of up to 25 HD. Since a Munchkraut has more than that, you can't Shapechange into one.

The bigger problem is that Pun-Pun can get and use Rocks Fall through Maniupulate Form.
    My apologies, I forgot about that little tidbit of shapechange.

Oh and speaking of Pun Pun I'm fairly certain that one of the jobs of the Munchkraut is to kill all Sarruhks in existence.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    In fact, this leads me to conjecture on the possible paradox of the "Two Munchkaruts." If one were to exist in the room with another, they would instantly engage in a potentially endless effort to annihilate each other. I conclude that there are either a maximum of one munchkarut in existence, or perhaps any odd number.
    I suppose we can extend my "Two Munchkaruts" paradox to also include one munchkarut and Pun-Pun. Either Pun-Pun exists, or a munchkarut does. If they both existed, they would surely be locked in eternal battle.

On a more serious note, there are many elegant ways to handle the too-much-money problem. I created a race of fey that are naturally attracted to wealth, and who cause it to decrease through causality alteration (similar to a bad-luck fey, profits fall, quality of goods decreases, and reselling stuff is less profitable), to a specific rich person to whom one of them leeches off of.

Finally, consider the city where the player is wheeling and dealing being taken over by devils. The spread of avarice, greed, and materialism is solid gold to the baatezu, who will show up and hand out Pacts Infernal along with wonderful luxuries. The souls of the mortals become currency to balance out the spontaneous generation of material wealth, and pit fiends toast to the name of the WBL-breaking character.

Extended Sigbox

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

But how does it deal with Forcecage?
    Oh right, I forgot to note that its greater scrying counts as "seeing" for purposes of Rocks Fall.

Made a couple other changes just for grins.
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Some Munchkarut somewhere is always scrying on anyone that is about to gate a Munchkarut, for the explicit purpose of slaying that creature before they get a chance to gate it. For the power of the Munchkarut is for the Munchkarut alone.

Extended Sigbox

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Infinite, no. Arbitrarily large, yes.

Cosmic Descryer 7 has Cosmic Connection which lets you take gain +1 CL for every 5 points of HP damage that you take. Combined with Delay Death you can have a CL of whatever you want

This can be picked up pre-epic through the use of an Illithid Savant or with Ice Assassin + Fusion + Astral Seed.

You can also just go Shapechange into a Zodar + Wish up a scroll of whatever spell you want at whatever CL you want + Shapechange into a Lilitu + use your Item Use ability to auto succeed on your UMD check to use your scroll of CL Arbitrarily large whatever.

Cosmic Descryer is also how you get arbitrarily large attack and damage rolls (using the ToB maneuvers that let you make a concentration check for damage rolls).
    Last edited by Emperor Tippy; 2013-06-27 at 11:22 PM.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Infinite, no. Arbitrarily large, yes.
    Pun-Pun can get infinite CL once he has infinite ability scores, but other than absurdities of that sort I'm not sure there's any way. And yes, I did consider shapechange before posting initially.

There's probably a few other things the Munchkarut(s) should reasonably have, but I'm not sure what else exactly. Maybe I should put this in Homebrew.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Pun-Pun can get infinite CL once he has infinite ability scores, but other than absurdities of that sort I'm not sure there's any way. And yes, I did consider shapechange before posting initially.
    I thought he could only get arbitrarily high ability scores, which could never be greater than ∞.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    I thought he could only get arbitrarily high ability scores, which could never be greater than ∞.
    I think he uses the Omniscificer trick these days (ironic, ain't it?); at any rate, I got the data from the Pun-Pun Abilities project.

In any case, it is non-trivial, even in TO, to get infinite CL. Which means there's no need to worry about it, because the Muncharuts will certainly not let things get that far.

20. - Top - End - #20

RogueGuy

On a more serious note, I could see an inevitable of time, who seeks out those who bend the fabric of reality too much.

Abuse haste, and you are likely OK.

Spend a day in a persisted timestop and you suddenly find yourself not alone, trapped in a world with no motion except for you, and the horrid, timeless monsters of steel and quintessence hunting you.

Ok, now I got to make a psionic spider monster that spins a web of quintessence to trap prey.

Darn you and your awesome idea making thread!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    On a more serious note, I could see an inevitable of time, who seeks out those who bend the fabric of reality too much.

Abuse haste, and you are likely OK.
    Isn't there one in the Fiend Folio?

Ok, now I got to make a psionic spider monster that spins a web of quintessence to trap prey.

Darn you and your awesome idea making thread!
    OK, that does sound awesome. Link to homebrew thread when done?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Isn't there one in the Fiend Folio?
    Yeah, Quaruts patrol around looking for violators of the laws of time and space - people who use spells like Wish, Miracle, Time Stop, and Temporal Stasis.

23. - Top - End - #23

RogueGuy

I was thinking more of you cast timestop and suddenly there is a 12ft tall spider made of steel looking at you from the top of a nearby building, it's red eyes glare at you judgmentally.

When the caster get to a library to research what it is, they discover that it is a common occurrence in timestops to see an inevitable, and they are harmless really...

Just don't try to hang around. The spell has a short duration for a reason, understand?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    I was thinking more of you cast timestop and suddenly there is a 12ft tall spider made of steel looking at you from the top of a nearby building, it's red eyes glare at you judgmentally.

When the caster get to a library to research what it is, they discover that it is a common occurrence in timestops to see an inevitable, and they are harmless really...

Just don't try to hang around. The spell has a short duration for a reason, understand?
    This I like. Create the Monster, you must.

25. - Top - End - #25

Spend a day in a persisted timestop and you suddenly find yourself not alone, trapped in a world with no motion except for you, and the horrid, timeless monsters of steel and quintessence hunting you.
    Reminds me of the LoZ game where you do wind up in a timestopped version of the world with constructs hunting you. Several times in fact. I think that was in Skyward Sword.

Giant Quintessence Spider Inevitables would have made those bits waaay cooler.

Here, I'll stat it up:

Munchkarut

Size/Type: Large Construct (Extraplanar, Lawful)
    Hit Dice: ∞d10+30 (∞)
    Initiative: +Before You
    Speed: 400 ft. (80 squares)
    Armor Class: No, touch No, flat-footed No
    Base Attack/Grapple: +Enough/+Enormous
    Attack: Slam +Yes melee (2d6+Lots)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +Yes melee (2d6+Lots)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Rocks fall, greater scrying, spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities: DR 50/epic and chaotic and adamantine, immunity to magic, lightning strike, regeneration
    Saves: Fort +Yes, Ref +Yes, Will +Yes
    Abilities: Str Lots, Dex Enough, Con -, Int Plenty, Wis Superior, Cha Sufficient
    Skills: Yes
    Feats: All of them
    Environment: Mechanus
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: Yes
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: --
    Level Adjustment: --

Munchkaruts are the greater cousins of kolyaruts, punishing those who break the mysterious laws known as the Gentlemen's Agreement. No force can stop their wrath.

Combat
    It kills you. 'Nuff said.

Rocks Fall (Ex):
    As a free action, the Munchkarut can will a creature it can see to be utterly destroyed. A massive rockfall from thin air above the creature removes all effects currently active (including supernatural abilities) and destroys all magic items (including crafted contingencies) as Mordenkainen's disjunction, deals 100d12 damage (which bypasses DR by virtue of being falling damage, and does lethal damage despite any form of regeneration), and removes the memory of the creature from existence, as unname. The rocks do not harm anything but the creature targeted.

Greater Scrying (Ex):
    As the spell, except that there is no save, and mind blank and similar effects are ignored. A creature being scried upon by the Munchkarut is a valid target for Rocks Fall.

Spell-Like Abilities:
    At-will: greater teleport, disintegrate, plane shift, greater celerity; 3/day: foresight.

Immunity to Magic (Ex):
    As the general golem ability; no spell or effect has any special effect on the Munchkarut.

Lightning Strike (Ex):
    As the Dire Tortoise's ability.

Regeneration (Ex):
    As the Tarrasque.
    This has made me giggle for two days now. Thank you. I needed the laugh.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Your lv 1 wizard has sucessfully used charm person to Con 100,000 GP from the town leaving it bankrupt? Ok you now gain 11 levels of NPC Expert for yur daring heist. You are the most infamous man in the kingdom who is Kill on sight in all cities, nobody will sell you anything anymore and several Mature Adult Dragons are out to kill you for your treasure.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Regardless of encounter CR the most you can gain is almost but not quite two levels and there are no rules I know of for forced class level taking. Other than that the world reaction is a good solution.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    This has made me giggle for two days now. Thank you. I needed the laugh.
    Awesome! Glad to help.

29. - Top - End - #29

Your lv 1 wizard has sucessfully used charm person to Con 100,000 GP from the town leaving it bankrupt? Ok you now gain 11 levels of NPC Expert for yur daring heist. You are the most infamous man in the kingdom who is Kill on sight in all cities, nobody will sell you anything anymore and several Mature Adult Dragons are out to kill you for your treasure.
    Though I find this particular world reaction to be a little over the top this does present the idea of True Dragons as the equivalent of Material plane wealth based Inevitables.

Definitely applying Inevitable abilities to some True Dragon for the next massive WBL infringement.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, Quaruts patrol around looking for violators of the laws of time and space - people who use spells like Wish, Miracle, Time Stop, and Temporal Stasis.
    Quaruts of course have several of these as SLAs, because it's ok when they do it.

On the subject of the Munchkarut, I think it could benefit from archetypal form. Then again, I seem to remember seeing Tippy do something with Ice Assassin, archetypal form, and an aleax to become more powerful, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

On the subject of the OP, an inevitable to enforce WBL already exists. It's the tax man. I'm serious. Cold, merciless, dedicated, and indefatigable. You can of course fluff him how you want, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that the tax collector should have some tricks up his sleeve.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards