New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Still no luck here. The closest I can find (aside from the chaos shard) that don't rely on a particular build are the Lightning Arc feat and the impaling, ricochet and thunderbolt weapon enchantments. Impaling ranged weapons do have a sort of multishot 'feel' to them if you squint kinda hard.

There are lots of features that give you an extra attack when you hit/miss/crit/fell your original target (e.g. seeker class's Inevitable Shot) or under some other condition (e.g. Ocular Adept PP's action point feature), but it's pretty clear you're not looking for those.
    Speaker of Xaos PP can do it

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Good find.

Kinda makes me wonder why WotC associated chaos with "target more things!", between that PP and the chaos shard familiar ...
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

If area attacks are included, for Psions only, Dreamwalker's F16 can add a target.

And of course the Elementalist's Encounter power is designed to do precisely this.

Also, for RBAs, if you can get a ranger at will, you can use a feat to swap for Rapid Shot.

4. - Top - End - #364

What ways are there to protect allies from unfriendly zones I create? Monsters that push and slide are showing up a lot more often and I'd like to nip this in the bud.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathtongue View Post
    What ways are there to protect allies from unfriendly zones I create? Monsters that push and slide are showing up a lot more often and I'd like to nip this in the bud.
    I think the Epic feat, Spell Accuracy (PHB1), kind of does that? Orb of the Peerless Artist (PHB3) does the same thing in item form.
    There's a couple items that move allies out of your AoE stuff. Staff of Transposition (AV1) is probably the best one.
    I don't think there's anyway to directly exclude allies from your zone effects.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Pixie in the Playground

Question: Star favored champion says "Whenever your first attack roll with an encounter power misses, until the end of your turn you can make a basic attack as a minor action."

This is written singular. Can a player do 2 minor actions to do 2 basic attacks after missing with one encounter power? (All in the same turn)

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dancemacabre View Post
    Question: Star favored champion says "Whenever your first attack roll with an encounter power misses, until the end of your turn you can make a basic attack as a minor action."

This is written singular. Can a player do 2 minor actions to do 2 basic attacks after missing with one encounter power? (All in the same turn)
    I don't see why not. Some powers or traits do specifically limit you to one, and this doesn't. Both in terms of natural language and in terms of formal 4e language, "before the end of your turn" might restrict you to one attack but "until the end of your turn" shouldn't.

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #368
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you sir

9. - Top - End - #369
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Two questions

1: Does anyone know if there are Longtooth shifter utility power options, and if so where?

2: how does a frost weapon (phb 234) and Rune of Endless Fire (phb3 102) interact?

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcacius View Post
    Two questions

1: Does anyone know if there are Longtooth shifter utility power options, and if so where?

2: how does a frost weapon (phb 234) and Rune of Endless Fire (phb3 102) interact?
    1) There aren't, no. Plenty of modifiers and add-ons for longtooth shifting itself but no other powers.

2) Obviously the initial damage would turn to cold. I'm not aware of any rule about how to resolve the Effect. Personally I'd tell the player "pick one or the other and it'll always work that way". If I had to make a call, I'd say all cold damage:
    The weapon's alteration of the power is more specific than the power alone
    The weapon does change the power's keywords and damage type

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #371

Q109

Does the Lightning and Thunder keyword on Promise of Storm have any impact on actual play? I've always assumed that it just added extra damage of the original power's type, but I never noticed the keywords before, so I figured I'd ask.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

A 109

Rarely. Promise of storm doesn't deal damage itself and isn't an attack, so very few rules apply. If you have an ability that triggers on using a thunder/lightning power or effect, it'd work when you start your promise of storm. No such ability springs to mind, but they may exist.

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #373
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q110

It is my understanding that you can take multiple base multiclass feats for the same class - for instance (using an example I know off the top of my head), a sorcerer can take both Pact Initiate and Student of Malediction. In that situation, can you take two or more multiclass feats from one class but from different subclasses?

This is a super niche question, I realize, but there are a few examples - the one in mind is someone taking Walker of the Dark Path (Blackguard Paladin Multiclass) along with Soldier of Faith (regular Paladin multiclass) and/or Squire of Righteousness (Cavalier Paladin Multiclass). All three are considered "Paladin multiclass," so it seems so by RAW, but I wanted to make sure that there isn't something against it.

Q111

Can a hybrid character take Hybrid Talent multiple times for both of their classes and/or multiple features from one hybrid class?

14. - Top - End - #374

A110 Yes. Subclasses are still the same class. This also applies to subclasses that don’t get Encounter powers taking Reserve Maneuver to get an Encounter power from their parent class, and for hybrids of those kinds of subclasses getting regular encounter and daily powers from the parent class.

A111 Generally no. You can only take the Hybrid Talent feat once. PCs who choose not to take a Paragon Path, instead taking the Paragon Hybrid or Paragon Multiclass approach, do get a second iteration of Hybrid Talent (the PMC ability to do so was probably an oversight, but it is legal rules-as-written).

15. - Top - End - #375

Q112 Luckbringer of Tymora's Luckblade feature doesn't apply to anything other than Cleric powers, even Luckbringer's own Implement powers, correct?

16. - Top - End - #376

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    Q112 Luckbringer of Tymora's Luckblade feature doesn't apply to anything other than Cleric powers, even Luckbringer's own Implement powers, correct?
    It works that way, but given time of publication and where it was published, it almost certainly should be ruled that it applies to all implement powers. Simply because it matches PHB language and how implements worked got changed afterwards in part due to the problem with paragon paths and implements. But because it was in Dragon magazine, it got missed.

17. - Top - End - #377

Q113 Does a Kapak Draconian's Toxic Saliva add an additional damage instance? The word "also" could indicate that the damage is in addition to other damage, but it also doesn't doesn't seem to require that the attack deal damage in the first place, which makes me think it might be its own instance.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

A 113

Looks like a separate instance to me, my reasoning being the same as what you presented. So ... fighter's Come And Get It inflicts poison damage on one hit target if you spit on your axe first? Weird. Well, that's gamist design for ya.

Current games list

19. - Top - End - #379

Q 114 The Fatesinger Epic Destiny has the Level 21 Class Feature that lets me spend an Action Point to allow an ally to gain an extra action on their turn, instead of an extra action myself.

Does this mean that Paragon Path abilities that active when I spend an Action Point to give myself an extra action, as well as the Epic Feats Martial Mastery and Divine Mastery, don't work when I give an ally an extra action using this ability?

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

A114: Correct, if a feat or feature triggers when you spend an AP to take an extra action, it does not trigger when you spend an AP to let someone else take an extra action
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

21. - Top - End - #381

Q 115: I'll try to make this simple.

Draconic Arrogance lets me deal Str damage when I push an enemy. Knock-Back Swing lets me Push on an OA even if I miss. That's fine and dandy... but, Hindering Shield lets me Slow an enemy on a Push. Overwhelming Impact lets me turn a Slow into a Daze if I'm using a Hammer. Staggering Smash lets me Push an enemy 1 Square if I daze an enemy with a Primal Power.

If I chain Knock-Back Swing into Overwhelming Impact, triggering Staggering Smash... does this let me apply Draconic Arrogance twice?

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

A115
    It seems like that combo should work. There's two separate pushes so Draconic Arrogance triggers twice.
    The rule issue that would most likely crop up is on page 197 of the rules compendium. The passage on other effects is ambiguous, but one correct interpretation would be that feat effects should be treated like separate powers. That means that Staggering Smash would not trigger because Overwhelming Impact is not a primal power.
    Overlooking that, bit of a convoluted build you've got there! Assuming that you're some Fighter/Primal hybrid to get all these feats and use them. And that you have a primal at-will "can be used as a basic attack" to use on your opportunity attack.
    Overwhelming Impact requires a hit, unlike Knock-Back Swing. So you do need to hit with the opportunity attack for the second push.

23. - Top - End - #383

Right, so it should work, but its likely something I'll have to ask a DM about?

And the funny thing about a build that could have that combo: The only Primal At-Wills that can be used as part of a basic attack are the Druid's Beast Form Powers: Savage Rend or Grasping Claws. However, they are Implement Powers, not Weapon Powers. I can get a Hammer as an Implement... but, the only magic items that let me use a hammer as an Implement either require me to have a Holy Symbol or a Warlock Implement. Meaning I need to be a Druid that has access Holy Symbols or be a Dwarf Warlock. As well as having access to Fighter feats.... or, I play a Half-Elf Were-Creature that has Savage Rend or Grasping Claws as my Dilettene power, have access to Holy Symbols, and then have Reincarnate Champion as my Epic Destiny in order to go for Draconic Arrogance. That, or swap Draconic Arrogance out for the Iron Vanguard Paragon Path.

Needless to say, it is quite a few hoops to jump through.
    Last edited by Storyteller_Arc; 2019-12-08 at 10:58 AM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground

A115
    The reading that lets you do bonus damage twice also lets you do infinite damage.

Knock-Back Swing gives you a Push 1 from a Primal Power.
    Hindering Shield lets you Slow the creature when you Push them.
    Overwealming Impact lets you turn that Slow into a Daze.
    Staggering Smash lets you Push 1 if you Daze.
    Hindering Shield lets you Slow (again) the creature you just Push 1'd.
    Overwealming Impact lets you turn that Slow into (another) Daze.
    Staggering Smash lets you Push 1 (again) when you Daze (again).

So the creature ends up (HP/Str) squares away dead.

If we instead treat these as untyped "bonuses" from sources that can only go off once "at any one time", then the same applies to your Str damage.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2019-12-08 at 01:46 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller_Arc View Post
    Needless to say, it is quite a few hoops to jump through.
    You can cut out most of those hoops with a Swordsage multiclass, letting you use weapons as implements. Of course, now the primary class has to be bard with lots of multiclass feats, but I still think that has it coming online faster than Epic Destiny, and Dragonborn make great Valorous Bards anyway.

EDIT: Actually, that made perfect sense to me when I had just woken up, but now that I think about it, I don't think it works.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2019-12-08 at 03:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

26. - Top - End - #386

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    You can cut out most of those hoops with a Swordsage multiclass, letting you use weapons as implements. Of course, now the primary class has to be bard with lots of multiclass feats, but I still think that has it coming online faster than Epic Destiny, and Dragonborn make great Valorous Bards anyway.
    Swordmage won't work, you need a Hammer, and Swordmages can only use Blades as implemments.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    A115
    The reading that lets you do bonus damage twice also lets you do infinite damage.

Overwealming Impact lets you turn that Slow into (another) Daze.
    I am 99% certain that no. You cannot Daze someone who is already Dazed. As they are you know. Already dazed. Like, if the effect was Daze + Something Else? Then yes, I can see those effects stacking, though the Daze is only really applied once. But applying just the Dazed condition to someone already Dazed? Not happening.

Dazing them, then slowing them? Yes that's viable. But not infinitly chaining the Push > Slow > Daze > Push.
    Last edited by Storyteller_Arc; 2019-12-09 at 04:10 AM.

27. - Top - End - #387

I am 99% certain that no. You cannot Daze someone who is already Dazed. As they are you know. Already dazed. Like, if the effect was Daze + Something Else? Then yes, I can see those effects stacking, though the Daze is only really applied once. But applying just the Dazed condition to someone already Dazed? Not happening.

Dazing them, then slowing them? Yes that's viable. But not infinitly chaining the Push > Slow > Daze > Push.
    It actually gets simpler than that — slide a target, prone them with Flail expertise, slide them due to Dragging Flail, convert to prone again. That a target is actually prone doesn't prevent you from applying the prone condition to them.

There are two options really:
    Ban the infinite chains with either Rule 0 or asteroids being thrown at offending PCs.
    Limit to one application of option per attack roll.

Both are reasonable things to do as a DM.
    Last edited by MwaO; 2019-12-12 at 10:51 AM.

28. - Top - End - #388

Where does the rules say you can stack conditions? Unless the rules say that conditions can be stacked with one another, neither the combo I posted above, nor the flail one listed here function.

29. - Top - End - #389

Where does the rules say you can stack conditions? Unless the rules say that conditions can be stacked with one another, neither the combo I posted above, nor the flail one listed here function.
    "Putting the same condition on a creature more than once doesn’t change the condition’s effect on that creature. For instance, if a weakened creature is subjected to the weakened condition again, the creature still deals half damage, not one-quarter damage." RC 229.

So as an example from the sentence, if I prone a creature, even if it is prone already, it is subjected to the prone condition(ping)
    But, it doesn't change the condition's effect on that creature(still subjected, ping or no change in effect, no ping?)

It seems a little more likely that it is the 1st, but the 2nd makes it hard to determine what RAW is 100% here.

30. - Top - End - #390

Hmmm... That's fair enough. Guess it really is up to the DM how it works.

Still, it's not like that trick is worth it. The investment cost is far, far too high for rather it's returns. Not unless your using 4E homebrew or something... And I don't even know where to find good quality 4e homebrew.
    Last edited by Storyteller_Arc; 2019-12-13 at 11:35 AM.