New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [PrC] Its been a joke in my avatar for long enough....

This is a prestige class based around the use of words. It uses its own magic system partially inspired by the one in Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. I could do with some suggestions for more words.

Linguamancer (Yes, I do know it mixes Greek and Latin root words)

d4

Requirements
    Abilities: At least 5 languages known, must be literate
    Skills: 5 ranks or more in three of the following: Decipher Script, Speak Language, Diplomacy and Concentration
    Feats: Persuasive, Negotiator,
    Special: Must have access to a library (or similar area of study) to gain the first level

Class Skills: Concentration, Decifer Script, Diplomacy, Speak Language, Use Magic Device, Profession, Knowledge, Gather Information, Bluff, Sense Motive

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Max Paper

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +1
    |
    +2
    |Arcane Pen, Prepare paper|5

2nd|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Sticks and Stones|6

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +4
    |+1 Bonus language|7

4th|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +4
    |Semantics|8

5th|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +4
    |Silver Tongue, Neologism|9

6th|
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |+1 Bonus language|10

7th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Big Sticks and Heavy Stones|11

8th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +8
    |Hidden Code, Elaborated Code|12

9th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +8
    |+1 Bonus language|13

10th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +10
    |Hand Writing|14[/table]

Arcane Pen (Sp) To cast spells a linguamancer must write a symbol on a single sheet of a special paper using this device. If a linguamancer loses their pen then they must make a new one (craft DC 10) which takes a week and 500XP. If it is damage then it may not be used until it is repaired (craft DC 10) which takes 1d6+1 days and 250 XP. See below for more details.

Prepare Paper (Sp) To cast spells a linguamancer must have a sheet of specially prepared paper. 10 sheets cost 1gp and weigh 1lb. They must meditate for 1 hour to prepare the paper for later spell use. The amount of paper a linguamancer may have prepared is equal to 4 + their linguamancer level. Prepared paper reverts to normal after the linguamancer rests. See below for more details.

Sticks and Stones (Sp) A linguamancer is so well intertwined with words that they get a +1 to save against any spell with a verbal component. Any spell which has nothing but verbal components used against the linguamancer has a 25% chance of failing. For the purpose of this ability feats which remove the need to have certain components (e.g. Silent spell) are ignored.

+1 Bonus language (Ex) At third level and every three levels thereafter a linguamancer may gain an extra language without the need to spend skill points.

Semantics (Ex) If a linguamancer can hear and see someone speaking a language they do not understand they may make an int check to try and discern what they are saying. Roll the dice, add the modifier and consult the table below to see what information is gained;

{table=head]Roll|Information
    5|The tone of his voice (friendly, hostile, etc)
    10|The subject (politics, money, gossip, etc)
    15|The specifics (name of people, type of treasure etc)
    20|The literal meaning of the words
    25|Any metaphors or figures of speech that could cause a quibble[/table]

Big Sticks and Heavy Stones (Ex) This is the same as sticks and stones but they take a +2 bonus against spells with a verbal component and purely verbal spells have a 50% failure chance. For the purpose of this ability feats which remove the need to have certain components (e.g. Silent spell) are ignored.

Hidden Code (Ex) The linguamancer may write a message on any surface in hidden code. A message written in a hidden code appears as a meaningless jumble of letters under normal circumstances. However it is a complicated mix of technical terms, in jokes and riddles made so only specific people can understand it. The linguamancer must make an intelligence check and consult the table below.

{table=head]Recipient|DC

Members of an organisation/class/professional|15
    Specific individual (friend)|25
    Specific individual (stranger)|30[/table]

The DC for the intended recipient to understand the message is the DC for creating the message minus the linguamancer's dice roll + his intelligence modifier. The DC for someone who is not supposed to read the message is equal to the dice roll.

For example, if a linguamancer tried to write a message to a friend, the DC would be 25. If they rolled a 12 and had an intelligence modifier of +3 then the DC for anyone but the friend to read the message would be 15, while the DC for the friend to read the message would be (25 - 15 = 10).

Elaborated Code (Ex) Elaborated code is the exact opposite to a hidden code. The linguamancer may write a message which uses universal features from all languages which all creatures that are able to speak the language can understand easily. The DC to create the message is equal to 5 for every language the linguamancer knows and wants to incorporate into the message, plus 10 for every language the linguamancer does not know but wishes to incorporate. The linguamancer must succeed on an intelligence check to create the message, failure means the message is not readable. The DC to read the message is 15 minus 5 for every language incorporated into the message that the reader knows.

Silver Tongue (Ex) The linguamancer is an excellent conversationalist. All checks made to communicate with another being (diplomacy, sense motive, bluff, forgery (of documents), etc) may have half of his linguamancer level added.

Neologism (Sp) See Below

Hand Writing (Sp) Once per day (when they are preparing their paper) the linguamancer may scribe a spell to their hand instead of some paper. The symbol is not visible but the hand will glow faintly under a reveal magic spell. They may cast the spell once at any time as a free action, they must then wait until the next day to recast the spell (or a different one).

Casting Spells

To cast a spell a linguamancer must have two things, a sheet of paper and their Arcane Pen. The paper can be obtained quite easily (as a generic item with a craft(wood) DC of 5 for 10 sheets, or 1gp for 10 sheets) but it must be specially prepared by meditating on it for 15 minutes. The linguamancer must sleep for the appropriate length of time before preparing another "batch" of paper. The Arcane Pen is a quill, fountain pen etc (player's preference) crafted by the linguamancer which they use to write on their paper to cast spells. It does not need ink for this purpose but does contain a "charge". An Arcane Pen has 100 (with an extra 10 gained for every linguamancer level) charges which are restored when the linguamancer sleeps, the charges are used when the player casts a spell. Some of the "words" used to make a spell use more charges than others.

To cast a spell the linguamancer writes a "rune" on one of their sheets of paper. A rune is made up of three "words" written on top of each other, a noun, a verb and an adjective. The words are described in more details below, each one controls one specific aspect of the spell. Casting a spell is a standard action (unless otherwise noted) and requires a concentration check if there is a distraction, as an arcane caster would. Paper with an unused spell scribed to it stops working after 1 hour. The DM has the final say on what effect a spell has.

Noun

The noun part of a rune defines the target of the spell. After the rune is drawn on the paper then the spell must be cast in a way according to the noun. The following is a list of some sample nouns.

Creature The spell targets a single creature (willing or not) as a touch attack. To use this the caster must hold the paper in their hand and touch the creature, they may not touch themselves. This uses 5 charges from the pen.

Area The spell fills a circle shaped area. The radius its 20ft by default but the caster may expend more charges to increase this. To use this the caster must either drop the paper or throw it, the spell is centered on wherever it lands. It may be thrown anywhere within 30ft. of the caster, treat it as a ranged attack on the square it is aimed at, alternatively the linguamancer may make the spell into a paper plane the next round. This increases the cost of the spell by the cost of the verb *X. X is equal to 2 + 1 for every 10ft. the radius is extended by.

Self This targets the caster. To use it they must push the paper against themselves. This uses 5 charges from the pen.

Symbol The paper is pressed against a surface and the rune is transferred. The spell is activated (and effects) any creature which looks at the rune. The rune disappears after one use. This uses 10 charges.

Ray The paper is held in the hand and the spell is "fired" at the target as a ranged touch attack. This uses 5 charges + 1 for each additional 5ft. the caster wishes to add to the maximum range (max Linguamancer level*10). The default maximum range is 10ft..

Verb

The Verb is the part of the rune which defines the effect of the spell. Different verbs have different costs (as with the noun). The following is a list of verbs.

Damaged Spells with this verb will damage health in some way. The damage is always Xd6. The cost is 5 charges plus 5 more for every extra dice of damage to a maximum of 6d6.

Badly Damaged Spells with this verb will damage health in some way. The damage is always Xd10. The cost is 10 charges plus 10 more for every extra dice of damage to a maximum of 6d10.

Healed The same as damaged but it restores hit points. When used as a neologism it tends to make the verb more beneficial

Slowed Functions as the slow spell, costs 5 charges per round to a maximum of the caster's caster level.

Quickened Functions as the haste spell, costs 5 charges per round to a maximum of the caster's caster level.

Disguised Target is transformed as per the disguise self spell. Each aspect changed (hair, cloths, gender etc) cost 2 charges each.

Morphed Transforms the target as per the baneful polymorph spell. costs 5 charges per size category the creature is reduced by, to a minimum of 10.

Teleported The target is transported as per the teleport spell. costs 20 charges.

Dispelled Cancels the effect of any magic on target, magical items and spell like abilities are suppressed. Costs 5 charges

Illusion Creates an illusion as per silent illusion in, around or on the target. Costs 10 charges.

Repairing Repairs damaged objects as per the make whole spell. Costs 5 charges.

Adjective

The adjective defines the nature of the spell. This usually means the type of damage it deals but it can vary.

None The spell has no specific domain. Any damage is considered melee damage.

Burning The spell is of the fire domain. Any damage is considered fire damage.

Freezing The spell is of the ice domain. Any damage is considered cold damage.

Shocking The spell is of the electric domain. Any damage is considered shock damage.

Rocky The spell is of the earth domain. Any damage is considered bludgeoning damage.

Purifying The spell is of the Holy domain. Any damage is considered good aligned damage.

Blaspheming The spell is of the Evil domain. Any damage is considered evil aligned damage.

Organising The spell is of the law domain. Any damage is considered law aligned damage.

Disorganising The spell is of the chaotic domain. Any damage is considered chaotic aligned damage.

Restoring The spell deals out positive energy damage (this may not restore HP).

Draining The spell deals out negative energy damage.

Neologisms

Rather than learning a new word the linguamancer may combine two he already knows, the result is known as a neologism. A neologism is made of two words (of the same type) and functions as any other word would. For example the Area and Self nouns could be combined to create a noun which uses the caster as the midpoint for the spell's active area or the Slowly and Healed verbs could be combined to create a verb which heals over time. The charges expended by the word are equal to 75% of the sum of both its root words. The DM has the final say on what effect a neologism has.

To create a neologism the linguamancer must have;

• Used both root words in a spell 5 times each
    • Access to a library for the appropriate length of time
    • A free slot to learn the word once it has been created

The neologism takes 1d4 days to create and costs an amount of XP equivalent to twice the charge it will drain from the pen when it is being used. Once it has been created it is added to the linguamancer's list and may be used as any other word would for the purpose of casting a spell and creating neologisms.

Meta-Magic

If a linguamancer chooses they may apply meta-magic to a spell. This means that they are essentially casting a spell on their spell.

To enhance a rune with metamagic the caster must take a full round action to cast it. The linguamancer must (after writing the rune) flip the paper over and write another rune on the back using the following special words;

Noun

Spell The spell is targeted at a spell drawn on the same sheet of paper as the one this is a component of. This noun may not be used in a neologism, is always known by linguamancers (without the need to use up a slot) and uses up no charges.

Adjective

Paragon The spell is designed specifically to empower another spell. This adjective may not be used in a neologism, is always known by linguamancers (without the need to use up a slot) and uses up no charges.

Adverbs
    Adverbs are the important part of the metamagic. They define the enhancement and the additional cost to the spell the metamagic provides. New adverbs may be made as neologisms as any other group of words would.

Slowly The spell is delayed for one round. This costs charges equivalent to 5% of the spells total charge.

Tenaciously The spell becomes harder to resist. All save DCs are increased by 5 and the caster is treated as having a +1 bonus. This costs charges equivalent to 5% of the spells total charge.

Words Per Level

The following table shows how many words of each type (including neologisms) a linguamancer may learn per level. To learn new words a linguamancer must visit a library for 1 hour.

{table=head]Level|Nouns|Verbs|Adjectives

1st|
    |
    |
    |
    +2

2nd|
    |
    |
    |
    +3

3rd|
    |
    |
    |
    +4

4th|
    |
    |
    |
    +4

5th|
    |
    |
    |
    +4

6th|
    |
    |
    |
    +6

7th|
    |
    |
    |
    +6

8th|
    |
    |
    |
    +8

9th|
    |
    |
    |
    +8

10th|
    |
    |
    |
    +10
    [/table]

A linguamancer may forget a word so they can learn a different one (or a neologism) by studying for a week (they displace the word from their mind by studying a subject they find particularly difficult to grasp). If they forget a neologism they may relearn it later at half the XP cost.
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2007-07-06 at 02:09 PM.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [PrC] Its been a joke in my avatar for long enough....

AWESOME.

This is simply great.
    My sister has more ranks in Tumble then your level 13 rogue!

(Seriously. She's a gymnast.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu the Masked LLama View Post
    I'm not gonna pass up a 4 armed hug!
    STOCKS:
    Spoiler
    Show
    40 HNJO $240

Total cost: 240

Total left: 760
    Townies: Fualkner and Fellus

Edge Riders: A new RPG system in the making. We need more members, so click that link!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

seems a little reminesecnt of ninjas... and runes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    seems a little reminesecnt of ninjas... and runes.
    Runes I can understand, but what have ninjas got to do with it?
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2007-07-03 at 10:20 AM.
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Obviously because Ninjas can do everything anyone else can do better. Why? Because they're Ninjas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Xuincherguixe View Post
    Obviously because Ninjas can do everything anyone else can do better. Why? Because they're Ninjas.
    NO because the method reminds me of ninja tags... which fit the description of these peices of paper quite well.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NO because the method reminds me of ninja tags... which fit the description of these peices of paper quite well.
    Ninjas play tag?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    Ninjas play tag?
    Ninja Tags are special prepared peices of paper written on with specially prepared ink that do things supernatural... though its usually blowing up...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

that is truly spectacular. An achievement of both fluff and crunch (too bad the Prc with your name in it contest was so long ago.)

One thing I would say, though, is that bigger sticks and heavy stones, should probably just be called "but words can never hurt me."
    Recent Ancient Attempts at homebrewing :

Daoist(Prc), Kinderhorror (MitP:8-0), Gribble(MitP: 11-1), Shardfiend(MitP:8-0), Sun Tyrant(MitP:6-0), Sunworshiper(MitP: 3-0),Spidaren (MitP: 7-0), Movie Themed Feats

Any & all advice and opinions, and votes, are welcome

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Naive foolish question here: What's with the reflex saves?
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Poppatomus View Post
    that is truly spectacular. An achievement of both fluff and crunch (too bad the Prc with your name in it contest was so long ago.)

One thing I would say, though, is that bigger sticks and heavy stones, should probably just be called "but words can never hurt me."
    Technically its my avatar and not my username.

I considered using that name but I decided that it would be better to make sure that it was clear that Bigger Sticks and Heavy stones was an improved form of Sticks and Stones.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    Naive foolish question here: What's with the reflex saves?
    You'd know if you borrowed books from a library on a regular basis.

13. - Top - End - #13

Wow, this is like the Truenamer, except it's an actually good class. This is what the Truenamers should be.

Leaving that aside, excellent Prestige Class, probably for a (smart/studious) Bard, but I can see a Wizard or the party mouthpiece (Probably rouge) taking this. What spells require only verbal components? The only ones I can think of are animate plants, and the 4 alignment spells (Blasphemy, Dictum, Holy Word, Word of Chaos)
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I request more words.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I request more words.
    Are these ones OK?

I'll add more later, when I've had my Metroid fix.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogman View Post
    Leaving that aside, excellent Prestige Class, probably for a (smart/studious) Bard, but I can see a Wizard or the party mouthpiece (Probably rouge) taking this. What spells require only verbal components? The only ones I can think of are animate plants, and the 4 alignment spells (Blasphemy, Dictum, Holy Word, Word of Chaos)
    From the SRD: Wish, Mage’s Disjunction, Glossolalia, Command Plants, Command, Irresistible Dance, Dictum, Blur, Word of Recall, Knock, Maddening Scream, Teleport, Shout, Animate Plants, Wail of the Banshee and many more.
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2007-07-03 at 11:45 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Are these ones OK?

I'll add more later, when I've had my Metroid fix.
    The current words are fine i just want more...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Jst to clarify: Linguamancer can prepare one "spell" per day and use it as much as he can?
    Otherwise, pure awesome.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Incredible! Bisected8, this class is awesome, and so are you for making it.

However, I have one question concerning the Sticks and Stones and Big Sticks and Heavy Stones ability. It says that any spell with only verbal components has a 25%/50% chance of failure. Does this apply to a spell with the Eschew Materials and Still Spell feats applied to it?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax
    June 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008
    Dave Arneson
    October 1, 1947 - April 7, 2009
    Rest in peace.

Stonemen: My contribution to the MitP project and probably the coolest thing I've ever statted. Votes: Yes 8, No 0
    My Avatar Gallery
    (and some other stuff too, but you don't have to look at that)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Jst to clarify: Linguamancer can prepare one "spell" per day and use it as much as he can?
    Otherwise, pure awesome.
    No, he can cast a number of spells per day which are created on the spot from a series of component "words" which are limited to the amount of specially prepared bits of paper he carries (each spell uses up one sheet).

At 10th level he can scribe a spell onto his hand which can be cast once without any need for prior preparation as a free action.

Quote Originally Posted by KingGolem View Post
    Incredible! Bisected8, this class is awesome, and so are you for making it.

However, I have one question concerning the Sticks and Stones and Big Sticks and Heavy Stones ability. It says that any spell with only verbal components has a 25%/50% chance of failure. Does this apply to a spell with the Eschew Materials and Still Spell feats applied to it?
    Good question. I would say no, seeing as the spells still have the components, they just have an alternative method of expressing them.
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2007-07-03 at 12:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I've added a few new words. Any suggestions for new ones (particularly verbs) would be welcome.
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2007-07-03 at 02:42 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

How much XP does a pen take?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

How much XP does a pen take?
    If you mean to craft: I knew I forgot something.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

If you mean to craft: I knew I forgot something.
    yes thats exactly what i mean.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Two nitpicks:

I'd take the "plus 10 charges per linguamancer level" out of the parenthesis, I missed it the first time through for some reason because of them.

You seem to have quite a few adverbs in the verb section, if I remember my definition of adverb correctly. They could be changed easily enough.

It seems like a good class, a unique casting style that seems effective, but I have no idea if it would actually be effective in play. Which means that someone has to go playtest it on the boards and tell us how it works out.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2007-07-03 at 03:17 PM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

25. - Top - End - #25

Lostmagic.

The spell system is near-exactly like the DS game Lostmagic. May I 'borrow' the spell system from you?

EDIT: Needs a way to boost stats, though it could be abusive with the area of effect noun.
    Last edited by KBF; 2007-07-03 at 03:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    The recursiveness of KBF's sig is fracturing my brain. OW OW OW.

It's like putting two portals in view of each other and staring through them into infinity. And somehow KBF sigged it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasatoHyuga View Post
    @^^ Hey! Someone sigged me! :D

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Is it just me, or can this give a second-level rogue or bard Wish 1/day? If so, this might just mess with power balance. Maybe put level limits on some verbs. Also, Good/Evil is not Positive/Negative, and Positive Energy Damage only applies to undead. Maybe make it so that the phrase has no effect on creatures of opposing (if beneficial) or the same (if harmful) "moral" alignment (good-evil)?
    Ralien, my elf soulknife, by Magioth.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Analysis notes:

Why bother with Self, when it costs the same as Touch, and Touch effects can be used on the caster?

Charge cost on Noun: Ray?

Verb: Morphed: So... what happens if I want to make one thing into another of the same size or larger?

A Wish affecting a single touch-range target at level 3 for 315 XP? Bard-2: Concentration, Decipher Script, and Speak Language are all class skills, so you can have five ranks in each at level 2 - easily - with an Intelligence score of 6 (you'll need a few ranks for Speak Language). Bards are by default Literate. The sentance "Creature Altered None" costs 105 charges, and you have 100 charges + 10 per class level - so 110 at at Bard-2/Linguimancer-1. It costs 3 times the charges in XP, so 105*3=315 xp spent. It's still only one/day, but.... umm.... No?
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2007-07-03 at 04:39 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

(Yes, I do know it mixes Greek and Latin root words)
    Heteroradical you might say...
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Analysis notes:

Why bother with Self, when it costs the same as Touch, and Touch effects can be used on the caster?

Charge cost on Noun: Ray?

Verb: Morphed: So... what happens if I want to make one thing into another of the same size or larger?

A Wish affecting a single touch-range target at level 3 for 315 XP? Bard-2: Concentration, Decipher Script, and Speak Language are all class skills, so you can have five ranks in each at level 2 - easily - with an Intelligence score of 6 (you'll need a few ranks for Speak Language). Bards are by default Literate. The sentance "Creature Altered None" costs 105 charges, and you have 100 charges + 10 per class level - so 110 at at Bard-2/Linguimancer-1. It costs 3 times the charges in XP, so 105*3=315 xp spent. It's still only one/day, but.... umm.... No?
    I've add the cost to ray, added a minimum cost for Morphed, added a note to creature (which isn't the same as touch) and removed Altered (you're right, its too overpowered).

I'd also like to point out that the spells produce runes, not sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    Two nitpicks:

I'd take the "plus 10 charges per linguamancer level" out of the parenthesis, I missed it the first time through for some reason because of them.

You seem to have quite a few adverbs in the verb section, if I remember my definition of adverb correctly. They could be changed easily enough.

It seems like a good class, a unique casting style that seems effective, but I have no idea if it would actually be effective in play. Which means that someone has to go playtest it on the boards and tell us how it works out.
    Did you just correct my grammar?
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2007-07-03 at 05:15 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

I love it but some of the naming seems off.

Blaspheming should be Blasphemous

Organized should be Axiomatic

Unorganized should be Anarchic..

Other than that, great
    Ceika is amazing, because she made my Yuna avie. Yay Ceika!