New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Fyraltari's Fiercely Friendly Random Banter Thread #226

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Well, I'd love to try it, but as soon as I went to go cook it I remembered that some stupid idiot who, coincidentally, happens to share all of my blood, meat, and bones
    You should get those things back, I hear they're important.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Eh. The first two you can unlive without, and you can just replace the latter with a mithril alloy.

3. - Top - End - #183

I replaced my blood with.a mithril alloy once. I felt lighter.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

I did say share, Peelee

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Eh. The first two you can unlive without, and you can just replace the latter with a mithril alloy.
    I'm a human though. I need my blood! And regardless it was a comedically exaggerated self deprecating joke so it's all good

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I'd love to try it, but as soon as I went to go cook it I remembered that some stupid idiot who, coincidentally, happens to share all of my blood, meat, and bones forgot her bottle of mayo at work. For five days in a row. And then plague times happened.

So I will not be trying it until tomorrow when I buy more mayo. And bread.
    Spoiler: Ooh, was it that one?
    Show
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #186

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Spoiler: Ooh, was it that one?
    Show
    While that was definitely interesting and made me think about a lot of things, I'm sorry to break it to you but I'm just actually stupid.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a human though. I need my blood!
    I'm just saying, this whole situation would not be happening if everyone was liches...

(Spirit-bound liches, obviously.)

(Oh, and before anyone gets technical, while the state of viruses as a life form may be under debate in microbiological science and such like, necromantically, they do qualify, so yes, between the lifedrain touch/aura and the cold touch/aura, liches are actually very sterile. Micro-organisms - and close enough approximations - not being known for having a high metaphorical Con stat.)

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I was thinking about waffles today. I hadn't eaten waffles for a few weeks now. I feel like eating waffles now. Also, I was thinking about dancing and singing waffles at the same time.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'm just saying, this whole situation would not be happening if everyone was liches...

(Oh, and before anyone gets technical, while the state of viruses as a life form may be under debate in microbiological science and such like, necromantically, they do qualify, so yes, between the lifedrain touch/aura and the cold touch/aura, liches are actually very sterile. Micro-organisms - and close enough approximations - not being known for having a high metaphorical Con stat.)
    I was always under the impression that viruses were necromatic constructs, since undead repurpose life, they don't reproduce. I would also assume that little of the original personality remains in all forms of of undead with the exception of lichdom.

10. - Top - End - #190

I mean it definitely would have, because I'd still be an idiot even if I was a skeleton.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a human though. I need my blood! And regardless it was a comedically exaggerated self deprecating joke so it's all good
    Why'd you go for human? They don't even get a free feat in the latest edition, much better to go for a race with +1 Int, +2 Cha, and innate spellcasting...

Plus I want to complain about something. I was listening to a science fiction radio drama the other day and would have really got into it and the concepts, except that the shore decided to spend the first episode setting up the main character's reason for getting a body swap as being a 40 year old victim of fat shaming.

Like, is it a little too much to ask to get some body positivity in SF?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Why'd you go for human? They don't even get a free feat in the latest edition, much better to go for a race with +1 Int, +2 Cha, and innate spellcasting...

Plus I want to complain about something. I was listening to a science fiction radio drama the other day and would have really got into it and the concepts, except that the shore decided to spend the first episode setting up the main character's reason for getting a body swap as being a 40 year old victim of fat shaming.

It was not my choice to be born.

God, I hate ****ty Sci Fi so much. I recently learned about Stranger in a Strange Land and wow it's really bad and if that's a considered a classic of the era it's from I don't wanna know what the bad books are.

If you operate on the assumption that modern fantasy is technically sci fi because sufficiently advanced technology is indistinct from magic I'm sure you could find some good writing that is also body positive. Some of it might even be written by me!

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Well, maybe start off by not shaming Zodi for being a human, geez.
    Besides, Peelee took the last dragon option, so people had to settle.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

God, I hate ****ty Sci Fi so much. I recently learned about Stranger in a Strange Land and wow it's really bad and if that's a considered a classic of the era it's from I don't wanna know what the bad books are.

If you operate on the assumption that modern fantasy is technically sci fi because sufficiently advanced technology is indistinct from magic I'm sure you could find some good writing that is also body positive. Some of it might even be written by me!
    I only really go back to classics that other works I enjoy state as inspiration. Otherwise, I'll let people I trust give me recommendations and leave the rest.

In my experience, books that focus on LGBTQAI representation work better in all regards, as the authors try to focus on being inclusive. Which means that I like a lot of modern fiction I come across.

And yes Zodi, that definitely includes your book!

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

You might want to consider:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Will_Fear_No_Evil

By the same author. On the whole, he's a bit of a twit, he rightly got into trouble for:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnham%27s_Freehold

Then he started putting characters with literally black skin into everything to mess with the people who gave him aggro.

According to some definitions of Literature all science fiction and fantasy is trash, because it's not about flowery language, it's about the story. Myself I think language should be transparent, some people think if it's not opaque it's wrong.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2020-03-24 at 12:17 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I only really go back to classics that other works I enjoy state as inspiration. Otherwise, I'll let people I trust give me recommendations and leave the rest.

In my experience, books that focus on LGBTQAI representation work better in all regards, as the authors try to focus on being inclusive. Which means that I like a lot of modern fiction I come across.

And yes Zodi, that definitely includes your book!
    I'm glad more modern books (and media in general) are being casually supportive. The new Animal Crossing has a lesbian romance manga in it about a princess who rocketboards around on a rocket skateboard, and her girlfriend is also a princess who can explode things. It's fun.

Hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    You might want to consider:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Will_Fear_No_Evil

By the same author. On the whole, he's a bit of a twit, he rightly got into trouble for:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnham%27s_Freehold

Then he started putting characters with literally black skin into everything to mess with the people who gave him aggro.

According to some definitions of Literature all science fiction and fantasy is trash, because it's not about flowery language, it's about the story. Myself I think language should be transparent, some people think if it's not opaque it's wrong.
    I read the description for "I Will Fear No Evil" and my brain exploded. I don't trust this man to write anything even remotely good, especially with this premise.

I mean those definitions of literature are abjectly wrong. Art can be a pristine, crisp, flowerly novel and art can also be "Molly Millions gave him a shuriken because shuriken are cool" and it's all a matter of taste really. It's just that a lot of the older Sci Fi tastes like old, confused, a little stupid grandpa meat.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Stefan Gagne's done some good stuff. Anachronauts is great modern-scifi-fantasy adventure-y stuff. City of Angles is even better urban-fantasy adventure-y stuff. Floating Point is... somehow already feeling dated despite being completed in 2017, the last few years moved fast, and there's a recurring phrase that feels pretty awkward, but it definitely at is the most directly and overtly queer-supportive instead of just background. Earlier works (Unreal Estate, Sailor Nothing; I haven't read the really old stuff) are a bit rocky.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

I recently learned about Stranger in a Strange Land
    Was it in an overly sarcastic manner?
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #199

I maybe it was from Steve Harris.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty much the only book of his I recommend worth reading is Starship Troopers, but about 80% of the worldview is divisive (and we can leave it at that). It's a shame that the actually interesting points about a volunteer military are buried under it.

But for everything else I've heard it's filled with either creepy stuff A or creepy stuff B (the kind that started with SiaSL).

Pretty much the only classic SF works I recommend these days are a couple of Clarke's, Skylark and Lensman from EE Smith (mainly because the are the prototype and template for space opera, the former includes some uncomfortably casual racism), and Asimov.

I mean, the line is blurry anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Well, maybe start off by not shaming Zodi for being a human, geez.
    Besides, Peelee took the last dragon option, so people had to settle.
    I mean, sure, settling is a fact of life. Bit like, not even variant human?

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I replaced my blood with.a mithril alloy once. I felt lighter.
    So your blood was a lighter fluid?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

22. - Top - End - #202

Yes it was!

Pretty much the only book of his I recommend worth reading is Starship Troopers, but about 80% of the worldview is divisive (and we can leave it at that). It's a shame that the actually interesting points about a volunteer military are buried under it.

I mean, sure, settling is a fact of life. Bit like, not even variant human?
    The movie did it better by realizing it should be parody.

I mean I am Canadian...

Also Peelee I tried your mayo grilled cheese; what is the difference supposed to be?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

I mean I am Canadian...
    That gives you Cold Resistance. Though, I think I traded that in for the Nice Weather starting location.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

*singing a parody of Old Grey Mare: Old Grey Waffles.*

Old Grey Waffles say
    Ain't what it used to be
    Ain't what it used to be
    Ain't what it used to be

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Yes it was!
    Ayyy! Ain’t Red the best?
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

The movie did it better by realizing it should be parody.

I mean I am Canadian...
    Eh.... I have real problems with the film, mainly because I think it misses two of the best bits of the book (the strong argument for a volunteer-only military, and the fact that the pseudo-arachnids are a legitimate technological power with superior ground weaponry). Like, I love the parody bits in the pre-military sections, even if I'd reinstate the Juan-Carl bromance and make it more subtle, but I find that once they reach boot camp, well...

The film lacks any of the subtlety or nuance the book has, replacing such things as a lecture on appropriate force with shouting authority figures. This is nothing to do with getting rid of the suits, the book is just significantly less in your face about everything, it's argument for a volunteer military is presented by having Juan and everybody else being incredibly good and motivated soldiers.

There's also two changes to the story that really make me mad. One: making Juan's command a field promotion, in the book he's subtly manouvred into a position to prepare him for being an officer, given a position in the platoon that'll give him leadership experience (notably above more experienced career soldiers), and finally attends OCS after being made career. There's a brilliant scene where his commanding officer has the OCS forms already filled out because he realises it's just a matter of time.

Two: whitewashing Juan, because apparently we must have all the subtlety of a sladehammer attached to a ferrari attached to a train. What's wrong with an Asian man as our main character? (Or tje fact thagt he's ESL for that matter.)
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2020-03-24 at 04:25 PM.

Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dear journal,

Day two of forced Isolation. I am out of heavy whipping cream and have been so for way too long. Need to go to the grocery store.

Day 2.5: not only found cream, but toilet paper too. they are out of Gaatoraid zero and eggs, though. Watching Locke and Key on Netflix. need some ice cream.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    Dear journal,

Day two of forced Isolation. I am out of heavy whipping cream and have been so for way too long. Need to go to the grocery store.

Day 2.5: not only found cream, but toilet paper too. they are out of Gaatoraid zero and eggs, though. Watching Locke and Key on Netflix. need some ice cream.
    In the name of toilet paper, I'll punish you.

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    So your blood was a lighter fluid?
    Ya know, in hindsight, I should have made sure it was in liquid form!
    Also Peelee I tried your mayo grilled cheese; what is the difference supposed to be?
    You got no flavor difference? If so, then no reason to do that in the future. Tastes better to me, though.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I would also assume that little of the original personality remains in all forms of of undead with the exception of lichdom.
    Really depends on the type of undead, whether it's spirit-bound or not being the main decider.

Your typical animated undead (skeleton or zombie) has none, because it's doesn't even have the soul, it's essentially a necromantic-powered robot, really, with only a small amount of basic programming adapted from the psychic echo of the dead body. (Now, you can create animated dead by binding the soul into it, but it gains you typically diddly-frack-all-squat advantage over the non-soul-using type. But, with the sort oif advanced necromancy available to the Aotrs after literally thousands of years of renfinement using the science of magic - and technology to be able to crunch the numbers - it's fairly trivial to helplessly bind a soul into an animated body so they are aware of everything but never able to influence the body; so you can, for instance, make them clean toilets for the rest of eternity. So, y'know, used as a form of punishment.)

A lot of spawner undead (ghouls or something Vampires *pause to spit on floor* to a degree sometimes) will often suppress the soul's personality to a greater or lesser extent, but they still have the soul, at least, if not the personaility.

Spirit-bound undead - like Spirit-Bound Liches (as opposes to phylactery-bound) - are essentially fundementally "hauinting" their body like you might get a haunted house. (The process is similar to, but different from, how a living creature's soul is bound into its body, actually.) That's why Spirit-Bound Liches can consume stuff despite being skeletal, have enhanced abilities and often get a lot of atypical abilities, because to some extent, your own soul and spirit, bound into your body, will modify it over time. Old (or very, very lucky young liches like me) also can undergo something called Spirit Vessel Will Reinforcement (SpiV-Wi-Re-ment, as it's know, don't ask), where that happens very suddenly (like, I dunno, a Pokémon evolving) which is how you end up with, for personal example, mithril-alloy bones. (So yes, before anyone asks, it would actually modify your physical body (over time or all at once with SpiV-Wi-Re-ment) into what your soul is, that's comparitively trivial to replacing your entire skeleton with mithril. We even haven't figured out how in the merry hell I subconsciously managed that.)

(I actually now have a place where I went into exhaustive detail on Spirit-Bound Liches to link to if that wasn't sufficient.)

Eh.... I have real problems with the film, mainly because I think it misses two of the best bits of the book (the strong argument for a volunteer-only military, and the fact that the pseudo-arachnids are a legitimate technological power with superior ground weaponry). Like, I love the parody bits in the pre-military sections, even if I'd reinstate the Juan-Carl bromance and make it more subtle, but I find that once they reach boot camp, well...

The film lacks any of the subtlety or nuance the book has, replacing such things as a lecture on appropriate force with shouting authority figures. This is nothing to do with getting rid of the suits, the book is just significantly less in your face about everything, it's argument for a volunteer military is presented by having Juan and everybody else being incredibly good and motivated soldiers.

There's also two changes to the story that really make me mad. One: making Juan's command a field promotion, in the book he's subtly manouvred into a position to prepare him for being an officer, given a position in the platoon that'll give him leadership experience (notably above more experienced career soldiers), and finally attends OCS after being made career. There's a brilliant scene where his commanding officer has the OCS forms already filled out because he realises it's just a matter of time.

Two: whitewashing Juan, because apparently we must have all the subtlety of a sladehammer attached to a ferrari attached to a train. What's wrong with an Asian man as our main character? (Or tje fact thagt he's ESL for that matter.)
    They fracked up starships, that was all it took to make me not like that movie.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-03-24 at 05:18 PM.