New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXII: Paris Needs Pants

I don't think that this super-sparkiness is a whole different level (like normal and super sajajin), it's probably as graded as sparkiness itself. We know that Luheia was a super spark, there were speculations that the original Other had been, too. I have no idea where Klaus has been before he returned - do super sparks need to be female, and/or know the secret of immortality? If not, any really strong spark can be counted as super spark, thus including the Master, Klaus, van Rijn, the Storm King, Faustus...

Also, it's possible that there is a reason that Infinity-peekers needed the mirrors. What if they get addicted to the substance that enables them, e.g. Dyne water? In that case, Albia cant move around because she needs regular Infinity highs, fresh from her source.
    As a scientific genius, she could tame that addiction to the point where she controls it instead of overdosing.

Also, who else has that kind of longevity with hardly ever aging? Right, the Jägers, who drank a special concoction of Dyne water.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    It's definitely been said that female Sparks tend to 'disappear', and implied this was due to the activities of the Knights of Jove and the Other trying to find a new host.
    The former statement was before the circus arc afair, but when was the latter implication? I always thought witch hunts and rural discrimination were the reason. We have seen many female sparks (Paris, Circus, Castle W.) in " civilized" areas, although probably still tragically less than male ones (didn't do a headcount).

Okay, old man valois did these experiments in that chamber, but that cant be the sole reason for the Lack of female Sparks .

2. - Top - End - #1442

Old man Valois? Do you mean Aaronev Sturmvoraus, Tarvek's father?

Anyway, the lowdown was revealed somewhere in the Sturmhalten arc. Lucrezia in Agatha even scolded them for having the machine put together wrong.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    What female Sparks are we aware of at the moment? Agatha, Lucy, Sleipnir, Albia, Collette, and a few of the ladies from Payne's circus come to mind. There are a lot of extremely capable women in the series that do not appear to be Sparks, ranging from Zeetha and Violetta to Lanara and Bang, however...
    I'm pretty sure Sleipnir is not a spark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #1444

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I'm sure we saw her enter the madness place somewhere in Castle Heterodyne, but I can't seem to find the page. I did find reference to her father being the ruler of "Little Ireland", and therefore presumably sparky, but we've seen non-sparky children of sparks before.

Edit: Found it. Turns out she wasn't in the madness place after all. Just ignore this entire post.
    Last edited by SZbNAhL; 2018-03-22 at 06:09 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ettin in the Playground

Wiki says she's not a spark, which is probably elaborated in the novel (I haven't read any tho).
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

So, is "garden" metaphorical, referring to England or something, or is Agatha in danger of being turned into a plant?

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    So, is "garden" metaphorical, referring to England or something, or is Agatha in danger of being turned into a plant?
    Either way, I get the feeling Albia doesn't intend to let her leave.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah yes, the Hotel California vibes just keeps getting stronger.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

There's the sinister Albia we were waiting for.

10. - Top - End - #1450

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    "Garden" is also a set piece or tableau. It sounds like Agatha's going to become part of the furniture. Or maybe statuary.

Albia, make peace with your deity. Screwing with the Heterodyne does not end well.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Troll in the Playground

Dun dun dunnn...
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And paranoia confirmed.

I guess this means when Agatha's presence brings down this ruler she'll do it on purpose.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

13. - Top - End - #1453

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    And paranoia confirmed.

I guess this means when Agatha's presence brings down this ruler she'll do it on purpose.
    You mean purposefully accidential?

And to the surprise of nobody Albia has a sinister side. How surprising.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Ogre in the Playground

How long until the page's coloured?

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Colossus in the Playground

Sounds like she is going for the soft sell at least. Find reasons to make them all want to stay. Romance, science, whatever works. Though I have to wonder how fast that will change when agatha either gets what she needs or notices the trap closing in.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    How long until the page's coloured?
    Up now for me.

She looks even more sinister in color. Also I had a bad thought. What if the Knight of Jove aren't the only reason female sparks vanish? Notice that while the Brits talk about Princesses they have yet to mention a Prince? And she did she just compared men (I think Gil and Tarvek) to weeds? I have a feeling that before this is all over the whole crew is going to be working together and Wooster's worst fears (and more) will manifest.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Troll in the Playground

This actually is much better than I feared. I feared we'd get a time-stop scene between Albia and Madwa in which the latter revealed she'd used the Lantern to circumvent all of the Queen's security and Wasp her, and Her Undying Majesty was now the slave of the Other. And Agatha, Gil, and Tarvek were just being strung along until they could all be gathered in one place and snuffed with no chance of escape. After which everyone in England would be Wasped as well, and the Other would have won. Compared to THAT, sinister Albia is something of a relief...

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Either way, I get the feeling Albia doesn't intend to let her leave.
    Trelawney's comment to Gil and Tarvek that she might not go back with them might foreshadow this. She might know her Queen well enough to know she wouldn't willingly let Agatha go...

18. - Top - End - #1458

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Sleipnir pretends it rather well, but I couldn't find her with a mad bubble, either. It seems as if she's just excited about all things adventurous and scientifical. Until now, I thought she has broken through already. I don't exactly know her current whereabouts - is she's still in Mechanicsburg, or have we seen her and Theo in Paris?

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    Sleipnir pretends it rather well, but I couldn't find her with a mad bubble, either. It seems as if she's just excited about all things adventurous and scientifical.
    Getting excited about sparky stuff is not an indication of sparkiness - remember, the entire town of Mechanisburg evolved that particular characteristic. Yes, sparks do also get excited, but it is not just them.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-03-23 at 11:06 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

20. - Top - End - #1460

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    I don't exactly know her current whereabouts - is she's still in Mechanicsburg, or have we seen her and Theo in Paris?
    Last shown location was in Mechanicsburg shortly before Klaus dropped in.

Edit: Heh, if the bubble lasts long enough Agatha will be the older cousin.
    Last edited by Rogar Demonblud; 2018-03-23 at 11:11 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hmmmm... That's less encouraging...

That said, I wouldn't dismiss her as a villain just yet. The Foglios don't do simple morality. Remember that the most unambiguously "good" guys that have been active in the strip are a tyranical despot and a lunatic hell-bent on genocide.

Judging from the story so far, I don't think she's talking about turning Agatha into a garden gnome. It's quite possible that she uses the term "garden" as "a venue for fostering directed and purposeful growth". Namely taking this "diamond in the rough" that she's gushing about and turning it into something special. Likely with selfish motivations, certainly, but those could range from using her as an organic super-computer, a source of Dyne-like Infinity juice, an asset to her nation, or simply a fellow goddess after ages without a peer.

Whatever happens here, however, Agatha cannot be allowed to have safe harbor for long. Whether pursuing a new lead, escaping the queen, or fleeing the rubble of another kingdom to fall apart around her, Agatha will need to be pushed back out onto the road after a book or two. So her being a unilaterally sweet old monarch wasn't exactly ever in the cards.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

22. - Top - End - #1462

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    TThe most unambiguously "good" guys that have been active in the strip are a tyrannical despot and a lunatic hell-bent on genocide.
    What about (in no particular order) the Heterodyne Boys, Punch and Judy, the Brothers Hoffman, Zeetha, Theo, Master Payne, most of the Corbetites, Colette and Master of Paris Senior?
    Last edited by SZbNAhL; 2018-03-23 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Remembered some choice moments; removed some names from the list

23. - Top - End - #1463

Hey guys, it's page 49.

Girl Genius XXIII: A Lovely Addition to our Garden
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    What about (in no particular order) the Heterodyne Boys, Punch and Judy, the Brothers Hoffman, Zeetha, Theo, Master Payne, most of the Corbetites, Colette and Master of Paris Senior?
    The main point of contention here, I imagine, is a caveat I should have mentioned. To my mind, loyalty to one's own side is not "good". Most everything the Knights of Jove do is rooted in loyalty to their side. Klaus isn't in the game for himself, he's in it because too many people will suffer if he doesn't act. Othar isn't adventuring because it buries him in praise and affectionate villainesses and fangirls, he's doing it because he absolutely, genuinely feels that all Sparks are destructive and no true peace can be obtained while any Spark (himself included) yet lives. Both give their lives to the fire for ideals larger than them and theirs.

Most everyone you mention here acts out of primarily selfish interests, either in service to themselves (such as Jim Hoffman) or their friends (like Zeetha) or out of loyalty to their side (such as Aldin Hoffman). The Masters of Paris are motivated by love of their city, while Klaus extends his responsibility to everyone not otherwise under the care of a sensible ruler.

The Heterodyne Boys are would be something of an exception if it weren't for two details. First, they aren't "active", and in fact are entirely why I included that word in the description to begin with. More importantly, however, we don't know them. We've got their reputation and glowing second hand reports, yes, but we've got that for Othar and we still see he's a far more complicated character than a paladin in a sweater. We've also seen a few suggestions that there was more going on with the brothers than publicly known. We simply don't know enough about them to use them as exemplars of anything, really.

But that's mostly just grasping at straws and needless self-justification that fails to address the point of the original statement. The point is that the Foglios don't do simple, and it is premature to assume Albia is a villain.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Titan in the Playground

Default Girl Genius 23: The lack of screaming, ranting, and egregious violence is duly noted

Quote Originally Posted by petersohn View Post
    Hey guys, it's page 49.

My vote is still with

Girl Genius 23: The lack of screaming, ranting, and egregious violence is duly noted
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by petersohn View Post
    Hey guys, it's page 49.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    My vote is still with

Girl Genius 23: The lack of screaming, ranting, and egregious violence is duly noted
    I can't choose! I MUST HAVE THEM BOTH!!!!

I sigh, and vote for Girl Genius 23: The lack of screaming, ranting, and egregious violence is duly noted, but preferably with Roman Numerals.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

Default Girl Genius XXI: The lack of screaming, ranting, and egregious violence is duly noted

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    I can't choose! I MUST HAVE THEM BOTH!!!!

I sigh, and vote for Girl Genius 23: The lack of screaming, ranting, and egregious violence is duly noted, but preferably with Roman Numerals.
    It doesn't fit with roman numerals - it'd be two characters too long. Sorry.

GW

28. - Top - End - #1468

Besides, we're getting to the point that the roman numerals are longer than most words.

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm still for the, ah, shortened title:
    Girl Genius XXIII: Screaming, Ranting, and Egregious Violence

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: Girl Genius XXI: The lack of screaming, ranting, and egregious violence is duly n

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It doesn't fit with roman numerals - it'd be two characters too long. Sorry.

GW
    Replace the "and" with an "&" maybe?