New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

Quick reminder for y'all that voting in the slapdash contest closes soon, so get your votes in! Looking at you, Blackbando, Vogie and Unavenger...
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Voting for the month-long subclass contest closes soon too everyone. I haven't made it mandatory yet but I'm considering it with how few votes it's been getting the last two contests.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

My theory is that, with the small population of voters in these contests, the "you can't vote for yourselves" restriction creates an unfair advantage to any entrant that doesn't vote. That's why I'm a fan of the "you have to vote to be eligible to win" clause. But obviously it's up to the host for any given contest to set the rules for it.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    My theory is that, with the small population of voters in these contests, the "you can't vote for yourselves" restriction creates an unfair advantage to any entrant that doesn't vote. That's why I'm a fan of the "you have to vote to be eligible to win" clause. But obviously it's up to the host for any given contest to set the rules for it.
    This is a very good point. I'll put in the mandatory voting requirement on the next contest voting thread.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Voting for the month-long subclass contest closes soon too everyone. I haven't made it mandatory yet but I'm considering it with how few votes it's been getting the last two contests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    While I do agree with this general principle of enforced voting, I must point out, to be fair, that the current top 3 all have submitted votes for others' entries.
    DM's Guild Work

5e Homebrew: The Circle of Progress, a druid circle about becoming a transformer - Winner of 5e Subclass Contest 1 - "It's Technical"

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

Congrats MoleMage! I guess you could say that your stellar entry was the star of the show... ;)

And talk about a quick turnaround - less than 2 hours from thread creation to submission. Faster than the speed of light? Shot out of the gate like a rocket? There’s got to be more of these in her...

That was a blast (hhehe), thanks to Ninja Prawn for starting it and everyone who entered!
    My 5E homebrew thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...omebrew-Thread

Including:

• Path of the Reaver Barbarian (kill all baddies with TWF!)
    • The Bulwark Martial Archetype (become a human shield!)
    • The Sporting Wizard (because magic is for sissies!)
    • Headhunter class (poison your weapons, scalp your enemies!)
    • Mesmer class (Int-based melee, extra reactions!)
    • Shaman class (thunderbolts and lightning!)

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

It's the last day to vote, so get your vote in if you haven't already. (I need to do that myself.)

And thanks to Ninja_Prawn for running the slapdash contest during this voting period. Hopefully they will do another one down the road, because that one was quite fun.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pygmybatrider View Post
    Congrats MoleMage! I guess you could say that your stellar entry was the star of the show... ;)

And talk about a quick turnaround - less than 2 hours from thread creation to submission. Faster than the speed of light? Shot out of the gate like a rocket? There’s got to be more of these in her...

That was a blast (hhehe), thanks to Ninja Prawn for starting it and everyone who entered!
    I think now I'll go back and tweak Stellar Ray to what it was originally, (2d6/4d6/6d6/8d6, or maybe 2/3/4/6), seeing as the most common complaint about the class during voting was "feature is nice but not strong enough".

You haven't used any gravity puns yet. I couldn't escape the pull of the contest.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

How come nobody told me I had failed to start the next contest? I've been thinking I still had time all week!

Votes are tallied, and it looks like it went so:

In 3rd place, with 10 points, we have pygmybatrider's Fighter Archetype: The Bulwark! Defend your allies! Throw spears at people!

In 2nd place, with 11 points, we have Ivellius's Gluttony Domain for clerics! Eat your allies (it's for their own good!) and your enemies (it's for your own good!).

And in 1st place, with 12 points, we have nickl_2000's Pinball Wizard for, uh...wizards! Rebound your spells! Earn replays! Rock out!

Congrats to our winners, and thanks everyone who submitted entries or votes for this contest. I will put together the next contest shortly, and our winner for theme was: Five Star! with 7 points. We have a tie for runner up at 3 points a piece between Keep It Simple and Bunch of Fives, so both of those will appear on the next round of voting.
    Contest is tallied! I'll be making edits to the first post of this thread and posting the new contest thread over the next few minutes, so keep tuned!

New thread is up! Contest V: Five Stars

I realize that for many people the month of December is difficult to find free time in. If at least three people comment either here or in a private message to me that they wish for it, I will extend this contest through to December 30 instead.

In fact, given the nature of people being busy, I am going to make this an official rule henceforth; three extension requests and I'll add two weeks to the contest time (but not more than two and I won't extend voting).
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2018-11-15 at 06:54 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow, the new contest was perfect for the attempt at a warlock warlord I had been putting together!
    Last edited by theVoidWatches; 2018-12-01 at 02:35 PM.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

11. - Top - End - #251

BlueKnightGuy

I will console myself that more people really liked my submission...more seriously, that was something I didn't even spend that much time on, why did people like it?

Put me down as someone who thinks an extension makes sense.
    DM's Guild Work

5e Homebrew: The Circle of Progress, a druid circle about becoming a transformer - Winner of 5e Subclass Contest 1 - "It's Technical"

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theVoidWatches View Post
    Wow, the new contest was perfect for the attempt at a warlock I had been putting together!
    That warlord's a funny looking warlock! ;) I haven't looked too closely at the features yet but I love the names - couldn't get much more fitting than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivellius View Post
    I will console myself that more people really liked my submission...more seriously, that was something I didn't even spend that much time on, why did people like it?
    As one of the ones who really liked it, it was a concept I'd never seen before, and it was so thematically consistent and mechanically fitting that I couldn't believe I hadn't seen a dozen other attempts at it. A really cool idea, well executed. 2 out of 8 ain't bad!

I just posted my first draft for this contest: the Space Oddity Warlock patron. It turned out well that the new contest came out on my last day of paternity leave - I could get the lion's share of the work for the contest done before I go back to work.

Inspired by David Bowie, a five-star performer and his five superstar alter egos: Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, The Thin White Duke, Halloween Jack and the Goblin King*. It's probably thematically more fitting for the slapdash contest just gone, but I think it works for this one as well.

There was another idea somewhere in my head about a butler-y rogue archetype, that is probably closer to the literal interpretation of the theme, but I don't know that I'll get around to it before the contest is over.

*a stretch, I know....but let's all play along ;)
    Last edited by pygmybatrider; 2018-11-16 at 02:08 PM.

Including:

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

I've had a request for a rules clarification, so I will share the clarification here with no names mentioned:

Am I allowed to post a subclass outside of the contest to get input from others, then delete it and post it in the contest when I feel it is ready?
    You cannot share your subclass prior to submitting it in any public fashion, even if it is later removed before being submitted. The discussion thread (this thread) is henceforth an exception: if you want feedback on an idea you think might be good, you can post it in the discussion thread before submitting it.

Also, because I haven't said it explicitly, sharing your work privately (such as in a non-public discord channel, or by printing it out and bringing it to your table, or even through the GitP messaging system) with your friends for feedback does not violate the contest rules. This is partly because I think that sharing ideas is an important part of the creative process, and partly because I don't really have any reasonable way to enforce a rule against private sharing without...you know...violating privacy which I am not willing to do.

I will expand the relevant rule (rule 4's) wording in the submissions thread to reflect these clarifications.

EDIT: We have one official request for an extension so far. Just gonna keep a running total in my posts here.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2018-11-16 at 09:02 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

I've had a request for a rules clarification, so I will share the clarification here with no names mentioned:

You cannot share your subclass prior to submitting it in any public fashion, even if it is later removed before being submitted. The discussion thread (this thread) is henceforth an exception: if you want feedback on an idea you think might be good, you can post it in the discussion thread before submitting it.

Also, because I haven't said it explicitly, sharing your work privately (such as in a non-public discord channel, or by printing it out and bringing it to your table, or even through the GitP messaging system) with your friends for feedback does not violate the contest rules. This is partly because I think that sharing ideas is an important part of the creative process, and partly because I don't really have any reasonable way to enforce a rule against private sharing without...you know...violating privacy which I am not willing to do.

I will expand the relevant rule (rule 4's) wording in the submissions thread to reflect these clarifications.

EDIT: We have one official request for an extension so far. Just gonna keep a running total in my posts here.

You could have mentioned my name. I'm new to the contest thing and still felt the need to get input from others when it comes to subclasses and homebrew that I write :) Oh and thanks to everyone who voted last time around. It was a surprise to win the first time around
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

15. - Top - End - #255
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    You could have mentioned my name. I'm new to the contest thing and still felt the need to get input from others when it comes to subclasses and homebrew that I write :) Oh and thanks to everyone who voted last time around. It was a surprise to win the first time around
    Congrats on the win nickl_2000! Well deserved - and a design that clearly resonated with a lot of people, and I think that really tilted the odds in your favour. I’m low on puns and energy at the moment, I’ve been knocked around a lot lately. I might edit this later when I’ve bounced back a bit ;)

edit: hooookay! In a fit of productivity I've scrapped the Bowie-warlock which has been relegated to my homebrew sig, as I felt it was too tangential to the theme. I offer instead the Estate Agent rogue, partly inspired by my recent dealings with them as Mrs PBR and I look to buy our new home. The features are still very rough, but at least they have names and descriptions - and I'm much more comfortable with the concept as a contest submission.

I'm not happy with the last dot point of the Force Majeure feature - seems far too niche for a rogue capstone. Need to find a way to make it come up in combat more often. Maybe speed is doubled on first turn of combat, and first attack is made with advantage to guarantee sneak attack - still getting yourself out of a tricky situation, more useful/relevant. Or this triggers as a reaction when you are attacked, giving potentially two sneak attacks in a round, once per rest.

Brainstorm of other potential features/edits:

* resistance/immunity to charmed condition
    * some sort of money making/saving ability out-of-combat
    * 'creature comforts' - some sort of party-wide buff on a short/long rest
    Last edited by pygmybatrider; 2018-11-17 at 06:41 PM.

Including:

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SleeplessWriter View Post
    Warlock Patron: The Elder Drake
    Not sure what this one has to do with Five Stars, TBH. I like it generally, though, except that I don't see why they should get metamagic, and I wish they had a feature or invocation that let them spend their dice pool to use a breath weapon.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

17. - Top - End - #257
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theVoidWatches View Post
    Not sure what this one has to do with Five Stars, TBH. I like it generally, though, except that I don't see why they should get metamagic, and I wish they had a feature or invocation that let them spend their dice pool to use a breath weapon.
    The idea was that the character would be able to collect, or even create, a hoard of treasure. Dragon's Favor was supposed to help with that, but I probably made it too weak. Maybe it should upgrade to 1d10 gold at tenth level? I was also a bit unsure of Enchanted Hoard and the amount of treasure you can bond with at once. I have a few invocations in mind that I need to write and I want to be able to limit their power.
    The idea behind giving them metamagic was that maybe channeling so much of such a powerful dragon's power was beginning to give them sorcerous abilities while avoiding a Draconic sorcerer multiclass and straying too close to the broken coffeelock. Giving them metamagic fit that thematically while disincentivising a broken multiclass.
    As for a breath weapon, I did give them Dragon's Breath in their expanded spell list, though I can see the lure of a non-spell dependent breath weapon. I'll consider it. Still, a twinned Dragon's Breath on you and your Pseudodragon familiar is pretty sweet for a third level warlock.

So far the biggest abuse I could see with this subclass comes from a six level foray into Tempest cleric, grabbing Dragon's Ire and Repelling blast for a twenty foot pushback per hit from Eldritch blast, which is why I limited it to Hexes cast from warlock spell slots. I don't know how else to fix that, and I'm not sure it's really as good as it sounds. The main reason for Dragon's Ire is really just to give Bladelocks a fair shake in this subclass without losing one of its core features.

Thanks for the feedback, though. More invocations incoming, hopefully they'll help tie the theme together a little more. I'll also likely revise or rewrite the two higher level features.
    "Now get on your flying boat and stop a crazy dwarf vampire from committing election fraud!"

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1025.html

18. - Top - End - #258

BardGuy

Well, for the longest time I couldn't decide on an idea I really liked for Five Stars, but I've given my shot at it: here comes the Innkeeper, a warlock patron for those who, for some reason, ended up in his magical, extraplanar inn.
    Oh, hi

19. - Top - End - #259

AssassinGuy

The Innkeeper warlock looks pretty good, I like it. The first level ability is pretty solid, shoring up the main weakness of friends every once in a while could make for some nice roleplaying moments, though if you already have persuasion I would limit the skill learned in its place to the warlock skill list to prevent people taking advantage of that to pick up obscure skills without multiclassing or having the background for it. The 6th and 10th level abilities are also pretty solid. The one thing about the 14th level ability I'd add is a small definition of what exactly is meant by "guests." Doesn't have to be much, maybe just half a sentence, but it'd be nice to know at least a little about how you can interact with them. Honestly, though, it'd be a lot of fun to walk into your fancy mansion thinking you'll finally get a bit of peace and quiet only to find a half-drunken goliath paladin singing drinking songs in the corner but your not allowed to to cast things like sleep on any of the guests.

I also like the Circle of Stars druid, both flavor wise and mechanically. Ceremonial Magic looks like a lot of fun to me, especially since I tend to like ritual magic (I even have a ritualist base class I've been toying around with lately), and the seasonal circle spells is a nice touch too. I also like the mechanics of the four houses, though I would say that the bookkeeping for which house you're in might be irksome to the type of DM who likes to skip over things like how many days it takes to travel somewhere, but I suppose a night or two studying the stars for Ceremonial Magic could help gloss over those types of things. I'd also limit House of the Stars to either advantage or disadvantage once per short rest, instead of getting both once per short rest. With two short rests that's six rolls modified, better than the lucky feat with less limitations except for only getting it every four days or so. Star Sigils and Star Traveler also look good, though I would specify how large the sigil has to be. Otherwise you could carve them all on an acorn or a small wooden bead and wear them around your neck.

I haven't got around to revising the Elder Drake patron yet (though I've got an idea for an invocation that lets you use Drawmij's Instant Summons on items from your enchanted hoard), and it'll probably be a little longer due to me being busy with finals week right now (I should be working on that but I'm goofing off at the moment), so put me down as one more in favor of an extension.
    All around things are looking good, guys, I really like all the subclasses so far.
    Last edited by SleeplessWriter; 2018-12-01 at 03:55 PM.
    "Now get on your flying boat and stop a crazy dwarf vampire from committing election fraud!"

20. - Top - End - #260

BardGuy

The Innkeeper warlock looks pretty good, I like it. The first level ability is pretty solid, shoring up the main weakness of friends every once in a while could make for some nice roleplaying moments, though if you already have persuasion I would limit the skill learned in its place to the warlock skill list to prevent people taking advantage of that to pick up obscure skills without multiclassing or having the background for it. The 6th and 10th level abilities are also pretty solid. The one thing about the 14th level ability I'd add is a small definition of what exactly is meant by "guests." Doesn't have to be much, maybe just half a sentence, but it'd be nice to know at least a little about how you can interact with them. Honestly, though, it'd be a lot of fun to walk into your fancy mansion thinking you'll finally get a bit of peace and quiet only to find a half-drunken goliath paladin singing drinking songs in the corner but your not allowed to to cast things like sleep on any of the guests.
    Thank you! I went and fixed the skill part, and I agree about the defining-what-a-guest-is bit, but I'm not sure how to word it, so I'll come back to it soon.

I also like the Circle of Stars druid, both flavor wise and mechanically.
    I very much agree. It's a cool way to utilize the druid chassis for something flavored of ye olde times. It's almost like it puts a different spin on the base class features themselves, which tickles me in my happy homebrew places.

I've got an idea for an invocation that lets you use Drawmij's Instant Summons on items from your enchanted hoard
    That's a cool idea. I like the idea of mechanically rewarding such a subclass for having a horde, the whole concept is cool. Contests really bring people's best ideas front and center. I'll probably say more about you guys' things but in the meantime kudos to you all. So fabulous, so chic, so avant garde.
    Oh, hi

21. - Top - End - #261

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Icecaster View Post
    Thank you! I went and fixed the skill part, and I agree about the defining-what-a-guest-is bit, but I'm not sure how to word it, so I'll come back to it soon.

I very much agree. It's a cool way to utilize the druid chassis for something flavored of ye olde times. It's almost like it puts a different spin on the base class features themselves, which tickles me in my happy homebrew places.

That's a cool idea. I like the idea of mechanically rewarding such a subclass for having a horde, the whole concept is cool. Contests really bring people's best ideas front and center. I'll probably say more about you guys' things but in the meantime kudos to you all. So fabulous, so chic, so avant garde.
    Thanks!

I also just updated the Enchanted Hoard feature to something a little more complex but hopefully less clunky and more interesting, let me know what you think!
    Glad you like the idea for the invocation too, 'cause I just added it. You can already get Drawmij's with a book of shadows and the ritual book invocation, so I figured a greedy character may not want to spend a sapphire like that every time they want something, and I added a way to keep it at a steep cost without breaking the spell.

Hoardkeeper’s Call
    Prerequisite: 11th level, The Elder Drake Patron.
    You gain the ability to cast the spell Drawmij’s Instant Summons as a ritual on an item from your enchanted hoard once per long rest. Also, if you cast Drawmij’s Instant Summons in this way you may expend a number of dice from your Well of Power feature equal to at least half your warlock level when you use your action to summon the item to leave the sapphire intact but disenchanted instead of crushing it. A sapphire disenchanted by this ability may not be used to cast another instance of Drawmij’s Instant Summons.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

I haven't got around to revising the Elder Drake patron yet (though I've got an idea for an invocation that lets you use Drawmij's Instant Summons on items from your enchanted hoard), and it'll probably be a little longer due to me being busy with finals week right now (I should be working on that but I'm goofing off at the moment), so put me down as one more in favor of an extension.
    All around things are looking good, guys, I really like all the subclasses so far.

That's two in favor of extension. One more and we get two additional weeks of this subclass contest.

For my entry I'm thinking of breaking out my Alchemist from Requilac's Base Class Contest III and making a House of Gastronomy. A five-star chef, if you will. I just haven't decided what sort of identity to give it to make it stand out from the House of Pharmacology.

EDIT: Does anyone else have self-imposed challenges when creating Subclasses for this contest? I try to do a class I haven't already done each time. So if I've done Bard, Cleric, Barbarian, Sorcerer (slapdash), and Warlock, I want to do something I haven't already done.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2018-12-03 at 10:57 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

There we go, I'm pretty happy with my post for the new subclass contest. Fighter Martial Archetype - Destined Warrior

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...86&postcount=5

I'm very open to PMs or messages here about issues/improvements though.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

24. - Top - End - #264
    Firbolg in the Playground

That's two in favor of extension. One more and we get two additional weeks of this subclass contest.

For my entry I'm thinking of breaking out my Alchemist from Requilac's Base Class Contest III and making a House of Gastronomy. A five-star chef, if you will. I just haven't decided what sort of identity to give it to make it stand out from the House of Pharmacology.

EDIT: Does anyone else have self-imposed challenges when creating Subclasses for this contest? I try to do a class I haven't already done each time. So if I've done Bard, Cleric, Barbarian, Sorcerer (slapdash), and Warlock, I want to do something I haven't already done.
    I always try to fill a niche that sounds fun and mechanically unique. Like a tactical/complex barbarian, an illusion-based Fighter, a Monk focused around "flash stepping" (like my prior submission), or something along those lines. There's already enough "simple" classes in the game that are easily reflavored, but coming up with something with a complex number of possibilities while seeming simple is a fun challenge.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2018-12-04 at 04:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to cast the third vote for extension myself, mostly because I hope to see a couple more entries before wrapping this one up, but also because my own is one of the ones I want to see. So, consider this the official notice: the deadline is now December 30th instead of December 16th! First post and submissions thread to be updated accordingly as soon as I can get to them.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266

BlueKnightGuy

I know it's very similar in concept to SunderedWorldDM's Oath of Hearth and Home, but my Oath of Feasting is up just in time for the holidays. I wanted to do a paladin, considered they've been short-shrifted on these (not my fault, at least), and I wanted to do something vaguely seasonal...and food seemed like the best "5-star" option I could ponder.

...Sorry for being so much alike, I just couldn't think of any other ideas that really clicked with me. Also the second food-related one I've done in a row. (I blame the theme, here.)

On the plus side, I did think of a really neat mechanic (well, in my opinion) that didn't fit well with the flavor here / had trouble finding room that I think will work really well for a class option down the road...
    DM's Guild Work

27. - Top - End - #267

Quote Originally Posted by Ivellius View Post
    I know it's very similar in concept to SunderedWorldDM's Oath of Hearth and Home, but my Oath of Feasting is up just in time for the holidays. I wanted to do a paladin, considered they've been short-shrifted on these (not my fault, at least), and I wanted to do something vaguely seasonal...and food seemed like the best "5-star" option I could ponder.

...Sorry for being so much alike, I just couldn't think of any other ideas that really clicked with me. Also the second food-related one I've done in a row. (I blame the theme, here.)

On the plus side, I did think of a really neat mechanic (well, in my opinion) that didn't fit well with the flavor here / had trouble finding room that I think will work really well for a class option down the road...
    Well, may the best Oath win, I suppose! Which reminds me, I need to choose spells...
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

Hey, I have an extended signature now!

28. - Top - End - #268
    Pixie in the Playground

Can't say I've written for the monk before or played it really but I hope my submission wasn't too unbalanced. If anyone has any comments or suggestions on it, it'd be appreciated.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Merry Christmas, all!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsluger View Post
    Can't say I've written for the monk before or played it really but I hope my submission wasn't too unbalanced. If anyone has any comments or suggestions on it, it'd be appreciated.
    Hmm. The singular focus on 'strikes' turns me off. There should be at least one non-combat (or failing that, defensive) feature in there. This is just too samey.

2 Star Strike seems much too strong. No-save stunning is not something PCs should have access to at 3rd level (plus monks already gain a Stunning Strike at 5th level, so it's kind of redundant on a conceptual level), and then 4 Star Strike really highlights the problem - stunned is a more powerful condition than incapacitated, yet the 2 Star move is more likely to inflict it and there's much less of a limit on how often you can use it. I'd just cut the current 2 Star Strike and replace it with something that isn't a strike.

You spelled 'ki' wrong in 3 Star Strike. And it's very unusual to use the proficiency bonus in that way. I'd either make it a fixed number, or Wis mod times. Or just drop the requirement; ki is already a limited resource.

The rest is probably fine.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2018-12-28 at 05:14 AM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

30. - Top - End - #270

Thought I'd throw my hat in the ring with the Wendigo. Will finish sometime. Sorry if the cannibalism steps on the themes of the Primal Gourmand, but... how was that related to winter?
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.