New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Smite and clerics

Is there a way for a cleric to have smite via a spell or ACF or any thing like that in 3.0/3.5
    I vaguely remember doing that but not sure how I pulled it off.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Smite and clerics

There is the champion variant cleric. I don't remember what it's from though.

Edit: Unearthed Arcana and SRD
    Last edited by Darg; 2021-07-26 at 06:26 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

The champion variant of cleric has it, but I don't recommend it, turn undead is a lot better.

Ordained Champion turns turn undead attempts into smites, though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

From Unearthed Arcana and the SRD, you can trade Turn Undead for Smite and Aura of Courage (as a paladin)

It's generally not a great tradeoff, considering all the stuff you could do, or get, with Turn Undead

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Destruction domain comes with an inbuilt smite, albeit one/day. If you take the Extra Smiting feat, though, I think it adds to each smite source separately?

From the Lists of Stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Smite Evil
    Paladin
    Paladin 1, elf substitution level, Races of the Wild, ranged smite
    Exorcist of the Silver Flame 3, 7/10, ecl 8, Eberron Campaign Setting
    Eldeen Ranger 5 (Wardens of the Woods), ecl 10, Eberron Campaign Setting
    Pious Templar 2, 6, 10/10, ecl 7, Complete Divine
    Holy Liberator 1, 5, 10/10, ecl 6, Complete Divine
    Scion of Tem-Et-Nu 4, 8/10, ecl 9, Sandstorm
    Adras, vestige, ecl 7, Tome of Magic, good or evil
    Triadic Knight 5, ecl 10, Champions of Valor
    Initiate of Bahamut, feat, Dragon Magic - stacks, see text
    Grey Guard 3, 8/10, ecl 8, Complete Scoundrel - can eventually smite any alignment, see text
    Shadow Striker 2, ecl 7, Complete Champion
    Champion of Gwynharwyf 1, 5, 9/10, ecl 7, Book of Exalted Deeds
    Fist of Raziel 1, 3, 5, 7, 9/10, ecl 7, Book of Exalted Deeds, smites gain additional abilities
    Initiate of Pistis Sophia 2, 5, 8/10, ecl 8, Book of Exalted Deeds
    Stalker of Kharesh 6, 8, 10/10, ecl 11, Book of Exalted Deeds
    Argent Fist 4, 8/10, ecl 10, Faiths of Eberron

Smite other than "evil"
    Cleric 1, dwarf substitution level, Races of Stone, smite giants replaces turn undead
    Blackguard 2, 5, 10/10, ecl 8 - smite good
    Shadowbane Inquisitor 2, 6, 10/10, ecl 8, Complete Adventurer - smite the "corrupt"
    Vigilante 2, 6, 10/10, ecl 8, Complete Adventurer, smite the guilty
    Scar Enforcer 2, 5, 8/10, ecl 7, Races of Destiny - elves and humans only, see text
    Hunter of the Dead 2, 6, 10/10, ecl 6, Complete Warrior, smite undead
    Sanctified Mind 2, ecl 6, Lords of Madness - "cleansing strike" - smite psionic creature, unclear on uses per day, potentially unlimited
    Topaz Guardian 2, 4/5, ecl 7, Lords of Madness - smite abberation
    Knight of the Raven 2, 4, 6, 8, 10/10, ecl 6, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft - smite undead
    Platinum Knight 1, 4, 7, 10/10, ecl 6, Draconomicon, against evil dragons only, doesn't stack with normal smite
    Witch Slayer 1, 2, 3, 4, 5/5, ecl 6, Tome of Magic, against binders with vestiges or other possessed creatures
    Crusader 6, 18/20, Tome of Battle, against any
    Ordained Champion 2, ecl 6, Complete Champion, no restriction, spend turn/rebuke uses to make more smites
    Killoren (Aspect of the Destroyer), race, Races of the Wild, 1/hour, affects abberations, constructs, humanoids, oozes, outsiders, and

undead, see text
    Kinslayer 2, 5, 8/10, ecl ?, Drow of the Underdark, elves

Honourable Mention
    Extra Smiting, feat, Complete Warrior
    Initiate of Nobanion, feat, Champions of Valor - specific use, see text
    Initiate of Torm, feat, Champions of Valor - specific use, see text
    Triadic Knight 7, ecl 12, Champions of Valor - Threefold Smite
    Holy Scourge 2, 4/5, ecl 7, Complete Mage - applies to a spell, see text
    Sapphire Smite, feat, Magic of Incarnum - grants additional uses of smite and bonus damage
    Exalted Smite, feat, Book of Exalted Deeds, weapon becomes good-aligned
    Ranged Smite Evil, feat, Book of Exalted Deeds, can smite with a ranged weapon
    Outcast Champion 2, ecl 7, Races of Destiny, Cha uses per day, 1d6 per level
    Tattoed Monk 1, ecl 6, Complete Warrior, lion tattoo
    Avenging Strike, feat, Tome of Battle, can use Cha times per day only against evil outsiders

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khatoblepas View Post
    The champion variant of cleric has it, but I don't recommend it, turn undead is a lot better.

Ordained Champion turns turn undead attempts into smites, though.
    You do get Aura of Courage too though.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    You do get Aura of Courage too though.
    Could be nice if you plan to dip Sacred Exorcist later.

If the Dynamic Priest feat is in play, you can get a lot of mileage out of your Cha.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Destruction domain comes with an inbuilt smite, albeit one/day. If you take the Extra Smiting feat, though, I think it adds to each smite source separately?
    Re-reading, looks like it only applies to one source of smite.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The plan is to become an inquisitor at some point was building into shadow bane inquisitor but I want to hit like a semi truck at highway speeds.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Now I'm a little confused. Shadowbane Inquisitor doesn't have Smite as a prerequisite. And there are lots of ways other than Smite to deal extra damage. Why do you feel that making a Shadowbane Inquisitor who hits like a truck necessitates gaining Smite?

Also, Shadowbane Inquisitor has Turn Undead as a prerequisite. So if you're aiming for that, probably don't use any of the options for gaining Smite that replace Turn Undead.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Now I'm a little confused. Shadowbane Inquisitor doesn't have Smite as a prerequisite. And there are lots of ways other than Smite to deal extra damage. Why do you feel that making a Shadowbane Inquisitor who hits like a truck necessitates gaining Smite?

Also, Shadowbane Inquisitor has Turn Undead as a prerequisite. So if you're aiming for that, probably don't use any of the options for gaining Smite that replace Turn Undead.
    Because I built another character that used smites like crazy if I remember correctly got a feat that allowed me to burn Turn undead for smite attacks I thought it would work well for this but if you got other suggestion I’m more then willing to here

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

so Shadowbane inquisitor does get smite so I can move into optimizing that in a few level but what would be would be some good feats to consider. if i can find the feat i was thinking of if it even exists.
    do you guys know of a feat that allows you to spend your turning attempts to smites.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

The only thing I'm aware of that allows Turn Undead attempts to be spent to Smite is the Ordained Champions prestige class (Complete Champion, p90). It's pretty good. You might want to check it out.

If you're looking to focus on Smiting, the Awesome Smite feat (Complete Champion, p55) is worth a look. Sometimes it's nice to be able to knock an opponent down, or ignore miss chance.

If you're using a Cleric base, the Holy Warrior feat (Complete Champion, p60) is good. It gives you bonus damage equal to the highest-level spell you can cast. So a Cleric 9 would get +5 damage on every attack, all day, because he can cast 5th-level spells. (Compare that to a Whatever 5 / Shadowbane Inquisitor 4, who gets +4 damage on one attack per day, because he has 4 levels in the class that gives him Smite.)

Power Attack is a classic route to dealing good damage. If you can consistently hit in spite of giving yourself large penalties via the feat, you can get really impressive damage. There's lots more that can be said about Power Attack, if you're interested.

With a Cleric base, buff spells should also be considered. But I'm not the best person to give you advice in that area.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

You could also dip Prestige Paladin; the first level progresses casting and gives you a daily use of Smite, plus a few other perks.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-07-27 at 03:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Ordained Champion PrC (Complete Champion) have alignment-independent Smite (fueled by your Turn/Rebuke charges)

Also, Visage of the Deity spell line: Visage of the Deity gives you Celestial or Fiendish template (and thus - Smite Evil or Smite Good), and Greater Visage of the Deity - Half-Celestial or Half-Fiend

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Holy Smite spell; usually 4th level, available through some domains.
    Righteous Smite spell; usually 7th level; available through some domains.

Domains:
    Destruction: smite, +4 attack, +cleric level damage.
    Celestial: smite evil, +4 attack, +cleric level damage.

Planar Domains:
    Elysium: smite evil, +Cha attack, +class level damage.
    Hades: smite good, +Cha attack, +class level damage.
    Limbo: smite law, +Cha attack, +class level damage.
    Mechanus: smite chaos, +Cha attack, +class level damage.

Feat:
    Initiate of Bahamut: smite evil; use cleric level as paladin level.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

16. - Top - End - #16

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post

Domains:
    Destruction: smite, +4 attack, +cleric level damage.
    Celestial: smite evil, +4 attack, +cleric level damage.

Planar Domains:
    Elysium: smite evil, +Cha attack, +class level damage.
    Hades: smite good, +Cha attack, +class level damage.
    Limbo: smite law, +Cha attack, +class level damage.
    Mechanus: smite chaos, +Cha attack, +class level damage.
    When it says "cleric level" or "class level", does that exclude prc?

The planar domain smites are 1 per day plus 1 per 5 levels. Add tha charisma mod can be buffed above +4.

But Ordained Champion seems superior.

Smite (Su): At 2nd level, you can spend one daily use of your turn/rebuke undead ability as a swift action to turn your next melee attack into a smite. You gain a bonus equal to your Charisma modifier on attack rolls, and you deal extra damage equal to your total effective turning or rebuking level. Your smite attack is not limited by alignment or race; you can attempt to smite any foe. Except as noted here, this ability functions like the paladin's smite evil ability (PH 44).
    It's possible to optimize all of the facets of this smite. From daily uses to Cha mod, to effective turning level. We're talking +6-8 to hit, and +24-28 damage, multiple times per encounter (while channeling a spell, if you want).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

It sounds like you're thinking of either the Ordained Champion prestige class or the Divine Might feat.

18. - Top - End - #18

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bean illus View Post
    When it says "cleric level" or "class level", does that exclude prc?
    Cleric level means your levels in cleric.

Class level means your levels in all classes.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    Cleric level means your levels in cleric.

Class level means your levels in all classes.
    Class level is somewhat dependent on context: in a PrC, it is generally assumed to mean levels in that PrC, for instance.

In a domain, though, I would agree it applies to your total level. The glossary backs this up: http://archive.wizards.com/default.a...rlevel&alpha=C

character level
    A character's total level. For a character with levels in only one class, class level and character level are the same thing.

Source: PHB

20. - Top - End - #20

RogueGuy

character level
    A character's total level. For a character with levels in only one class, class level and character level are the same thing.

Source: PHB
    Unfortunately not. I think it means class level.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bean illus View Post
    Unfortunately not. I think it means class level.
    You're reading that the opposite way I would.

The part I would bold is "A character's total level."

The part you bolded is, to me, just an aside to the main statement.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

okay so I've done more work on this build and currently i am a horribly multi-classed monstrosity. I am rogue 2, fighter 1, cleric 2, ordained champion 1.

I have the feats, LVL 1:power attack, LVL 3: weapon focus (Scimitar), Fighter bonus feat: I need help with, LVL 6: Extra turning, Ordained champion: need help with
    the end goal is to end up with a massive damage build And am likely going to be improving my ability to smite for more damage. as well as the fact i will be taking levels in Shadowbane Inquisitor.
    I will also be using UMD like mad to enhance my abilities and over come my lack of spell casting.

23. - Top - End - #23

Charging Smite (Paladin ACF) in PHB2 does an additional 2 points per level in damage (so triple basically) when smiting on a charge attack. Nice bonus is that if the attack misses, the Smite isn't considered used. Requires 5 levels in Paladin though, as it replaces Mount.

Divine Might (Complete Warrior) lets you spend turning to add Charisma to damage for 1 round.

If you at some point can cast 4th level spells (and you have the War Domain), you could also consider the Holy Warrior feat from Complete Champion.

HOLY WARRIOR [RESERVE]
    Your zeal on the battlefield allows you to deal extra damage
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast 4th-level spells, access to the War domain.
    Benefit: As long as you have a 4th-level or higher War domain spell available to cast, you gain a bonus on your weapon damage rolls equal to the level of the highest-level War spell you have available to cast.
    As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting force spells.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Charging Smite (Paladin ACF) in PHB2 does an additional 2 points per level in damage (so triple basically) when smiting on a charge attack. Nice bonus is that if the attack misses, the Smite isn't considered used. Requires 5 levels in Paladin though, as it replaces Mount.

Divine Might (Complete Warrior) lets you spend turning to add Charisma to damage for 1 round.

If you at some point can cast 4th level spells (and you have the War Domain), you could also consider the Holy Warrior feat from Complete Champion.
    divine might is interesting but I'm not sure how it would function with a smite attack which all ready uses my charisma to damage

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Athear View Post
    divine might is interesting but I'm not sure how it would function with a smite attack which all ready uses my charisma to damage
    1. Smite (of any kind) lets you add your Charisma to Attack rolls, not damage (you add levels to damage, usually Paladin levels or Cleric levels).

2. Even if it was Cha to damage, it would be from different sources. Unless otherwise stated, bonuses (that aren't the same type) from different sources stack.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    1. Smite (of any kind) lets you add your Charisma to Attack rolls, not damage (you add levels to damage, usually Paladin levels or Cleric levels).

2. Even if it was Cha to damage, it would be from different sources. Unless otherwise stated, bonuses (that aren't the same type) from different sources stack.
    Except the bonus type is your charisma modifier. Now if one of the abilities say that they add a bonus equal to your charisma bonus it would work. Slippers of Battledancing wouldn't stack with smite or divine might as an example of this. A stacking example would be the con to AC of Deepwarden and Fist of the Forest. Deepwarden uses your con modifier instead of your dex modifier while Fist of the Forest adds a separate bonus equal to your con modifier to your AC.
    Last edited by Darg; 2021-09-19 at 09:33 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    Except the bonus type is your charisma modifier. Now if one of the abilities say that they add a bonus equal to your charisma bonus it would work. Slippers of Battledancing wouldn't stack with smite or divine might as an example of this. A stacking example would be the con to AC of Deepwarden and Fist of the Forest. Deepwarden uses your con modifier instead of your dex modifier while Fist of the Forest adds a separate bonus equal to your con modifier to your AC.
    There are some arguments that you can't add the same modifier to the same things more than once (Cha to hit, in this case); other arguments are that so long as the sources have different names and are untyped, then they can stack.

I've seen some lengthy debates on the matter, and I don't think either argument is airtight.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

thanks all hopefully it works out and my DM allows it
    if not do you have an other feat suggestion.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe you were thinking about Holy Smite (the spell)?

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    Maybe you were thinking about Holy Smite (the spell)?
    no I know what i did now.

an other question, where are the rules for wand storing weapons found in 3.5?