New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

I gleaned that, but it seems to be written in a way that assumes the Gunslinger learns deeds like rogues learn rogue talents, when they automatically get batches at certain levels. I was looking at the part where it says "For the purposes of learning and performing deeds and for prerequisites, a desperado’s effective gunslinger level is equal to his class level –4." And that "At 5th level and again at 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, and 15th levels, the desperado learns a deed that a gunslinger of his effective gunslinger level could learn" meant that the desperado chose one to function at his actual warlord level.

I admit its a poor reading, but it's worded differently than gun archetypes usually do it. If I were writing it, I would have had it say something like, "At 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, and 15th level, a desperado may select a gunslinger deed to learn. This must be a deed a gunslinger of his level-3 would have access to, but may be from a gunslinger archetype."

Most gunslinger deeds aren't that good, but the thing which makes gunslingers interesting is that they get all of their deeds. You may not use them, in most situations, but you're not picking them individually. Granted, the class might be better if you did choose them and they were worth picking but he, better than the monk.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how gunslinger operates. The desperado operates the way it was written, and other classes have no bearing on that.

It's a "select a deed" system, that's how it's written. You pick one deed at each of those levels, and your effective gunslinger level is your Warlord level -4. There really isn't any other way to read what's written.

I know you guys like to propose wording changes to things, and they are usually appreciated, but this is not the thread to do it in. I would greatly appreciate it if we could keep this thread on the topic of the guides and their analyses.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't forget that Psionic deeds can be selected, for psionic characters, which by RAW Gunslingers don't seem to be able to get at all because they don't get to select deeds. So there's a little bit of give and take, though not necessarily all that much.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

4. - Top - End - #184

Planetar

I would argue that yes, since you are literally getting things directly from another class, how the gunslinger operates is very important to how the desperado operates. Especially since it is very unlike how the gunslinger operates; I can't think of a single deed-using class/archetype that chooses a single deed, aside from the Amateur Gunslinger feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilorin Lorati View Post
    Don't forget that Psionic deeds can be selected, for psionic characters, which by RAW Gunslingers don't seem to be able to get at all because they don't get to select deeds. So there's a little bit of give and take, though not necessarily all that much.
    I always thought gunslingers with the psionic subtype automatically got them.
    Last edited by Ninjaxenomorph; 2017-01-27 at 07:26 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

You are allowed to make whatever argument you want, but once again, please do not do it in this thread. This is not the place for discussion of wording except to establish it's RAW function, which in this case is clear.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't see Piercing Thunder in the Discipline guide at all, but it's not on the list of stuff you haven't looked over.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2017-01-27 at 07:32 PM.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Piercing Thunder is in a difficult place for me. Essentially, I can't decide if it crosses my threshold for having had too much of my personal input. My life would be easier if someone offered to step up and review it for me, but given that hasn't really happened for anything else I may have to bite the bullet whether I want to or not.

Edit: it isn't a list of stuff I haven't looked over. It's the list of stuff I won't look over because I wrote too much of it and therefore can't be a source of objective evaluation. It's an important distinction.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Stalker Guide updated with new stalker arts and full list of written discipline guides. No new archetypes written up because I wrote the archetypes themselves.

If you want to thank me for all my hard work, please consider looking at the list of stuff in the first post, picking one of them and doing a writeup for me. It will be greatly appreciated!

9. - Top - End - #189

DwarfClericGuy

So, I've put together a guide for Tempest Gale, you can comment in thread or in the document.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-męnu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Stalker Guide updated with new stalker arts and full list of written discipline guides. No new archetypes written up because I wrote the archetypes themselves.

If you want to thank me for all my hard work, please consider looking at the list of stuff in the first post, picking one of them and doing a writeup for me. It will be greatly appreciated!
    Really appreciate all the work you've done, and I'm in fact playing a Vigilante Stalker in a Forgotten Realms set game next week! After a bit of playing and tinkering with it, I'll write up a mini handbook for the archetype if you'd like that!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I appreciate the help. Every little bit ends up being a big benefit. I hope you enjoy the archetype.

12. - Top - End - #192

PirateGuy

Path of War Stuff I Won't (or Didn't) Review:

Class Archetypes:
    Vigilante-
    Primal Disciple-
    Monk of the Silver Fist-
    Knight Disciple-
    Ambush Hunter-
    Brutal Slayer-

Class Templates:
    Bushi-
    Privateer-
    Hussar-
    Polymath-
    Warpath Follower-

Disciplines:
    Veiled Moon- Thank you Novawurmson!
    Mithral Current- Thank you Keledrath!
    Tempest Gale-
    Sleeping Goddess-

Prestige Classes:
    Landsknecht-
    Phoenix Champion-
    Man this makes me feel so bad. Because i love Path of War and just adore that one of the writers makes guides for it as well. So When i see you dont want/ can't write for some of the content i really want to help! But i am fairly sure that my grasp of Pathfinder power and therefore the usefullness of the various parts of PoW eludes me. So i kinda want to help you out, but i can't :s

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work Elricaltovilla! If i can help in any way please let us know, i think the community would do so gladly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I appreciate the support Swaoeaeieu. I think you'd be surprised at how easy it is to actually do a guide like this. Determining initial ratings isn't too difficult, it's the volume of material you have to sift through that is the real problem.

I take the objectivity of guides very seriously. I can't be an objective source of critique for anything I've written, by the very definition of objectivity. So my only choice is to turn to the community for help. If you want to help, then picking something on that list and writing a review for it is how. Or you can find useful feats and items to add to the list. Every little bit helps, the depth of material available in PF is seriously overwhelming sometimes.

14. - Top - End - #194

Planetar

Are you going to be covering the style feats?

15. - Top - End - #195

PirateGuy

I appreciate the support Swaoeaeieu. I think you'd be surprised at how easy it is to actually do a guide like this. Determining initial ratings isn't too difficult, it's the volume of material you have to sift through that is the real problem.

I take the objectivity of guides very seriously. I can't be an objective source of critique for anything I've written, by the very definition of objectivity. So my only choice is to turn to the community for help. If you want to help, then picking something on that list and writing a review for it is how. Or you can find useful feats and items to add to the list. Every little bit helps, the depth of material available in PF is seriously overwhelming sometimes.
    If someone has some tips or how to's on how they go about writing a guide, like how to judge power of maneuvers or class features i would be happy to take something off the list for you. It might be time for me to stop mooching off the community and do something back :)
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

I will try to make somethin' 'bout Knight Disciple. Will send you a PM within these days.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

17. - Top - End - #197

RangerGuy

Here it is!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Included Style Feats just for lulz. Starts at mid page 8. I request help to analyze Sleeping Godess Style 'cause 'm not very good with Psionic stuff. EDIT: Thanks Castilonium for the explanation.

Feel free to point any mistake, suggestion, change or whatever. Feedback is appreciated.

EDIT: Thanks a lot to Castilonium for the suggestions and corrections.
    Last edited by Fenryr; 2017-02-02 at 04:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198

PirateGuy

So i want to add to the collection of guides as mentioned before. Considdering doing one for the Landsknecht PrC since i love its flavor and historical background. Has anyone made a guide for other PrC's before?

And to make sure it is a quality guide, do i ask question for clarification here or in the PoW:E thread?

19. - Top - End - #199

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post
    Here it is!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Included Style Feats just for lulz. Starts at mid page 8. I request help to analyze Sleeping Godess Style 'cause 'm not very good with Psionic stuff. EDIT: Thanks Castilonium for the explanation.

Feel free to point any mistake, suggestion, change or whatever. Feedback is appreciated.

EDIT: Thanks a lot to Castilonium for the suggestions and corrections.
    Guide looks great!

Regarding iron Tortoise Style, I' pretty sure that d8 up one is 2d6, not d10. Also, Iron Tortoise Snap is fantastic for Vanguard Commanders as well.
    Last edited by Sayt; 2017-02-04 at 04:30 AM.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-męnu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    So i want to add to the collection of guides as mentioned before. Considdering doing one for the Landsknecht PrC since i love its flavor and historical background. Has anyone made a guide for other PrC's before?

And to make sure it is a quality guide, do i ask question for clarification here or in the PoW:E thread?
    DSP thread is probably better.

21. - Top - End - #201

PirateGuy

DSP thread is probably better.
    gotcha, you will probably see me there. Do i make a thread for the guide or a googledoc i send to you Elric?

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    gotcha, you will probably see me there. Do i make a thread for the guide or a googledoc i send to you Elric?
    Most people have been sending me links to Google docs. If it's for material that needs to go into another guide (like for an archetype or class template) then I definitely prefer a google doc. Otherwise, do whatever is easier for you.

23. - Top - End - #203

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sayt View Post
    Guide looks great!

Regarding iron Tortoise Style, I' pretty sure that d8 up one is 2d6, not d10. Also, Iron Tortoise Snap is fantastic for Vanguard Commanders as well.
    Fixed that, thanks. Made some changes as well.

24. - Top - End - #204

PirateGuy

I have read, reread and thought about The Landsknecht and put those thoughts into a document.
    It has my impression on the Landsknechts features, somewhere in the coming week i will add possible entries and useable tactics with this cool class. but for now this is all i have. Please check if my assessment is right and if you have anything to add.

Also, if you have played this class or have a build using it, let me know :)

The Landsknecht!

25. - Top - End - #205

Planetar

I keep forgetting to point this out, but Mockery was changed between your guide and the full book being published. It's no longer a damage boost, but it lets you hit touch AC on a cursed enemy.

Edit: Additionally, you recommend Elan partially because you say they are aberrations, when they are humanoids with the aberrant subtype.
    Last edited by Ninjaxenomorph; 2017-02-05 at 11:47 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I think the Monastic Training Stalker Art should go up at least one star, borderline two. Yeah, it was bad when stalkers got their first Art at level 3, but now they get an Art at level 1, as well. Yes, most monk weapons are garbage, but I've made good use of the shuriken on builds that use Steel Serpent or either ranged discipline.

27. - Top - End - #207

Planetar

It was pretty vital to a build I had, but it relied on a homebrew weapon for the setting I'm working on that was basically a wrist-mounted shortsword. Worked well of course with Mithral Current, of course, since the clockwork variant could be retracted as a free action with Quick Draw. Monastic Training was useful for grabbing the proficiency, since it was a monk weapon (since I wanted people to flurry with it), and IUS was just some extra goodness.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Review of Unquiet Grave added to the Discipline Guide. Will propagate to all the other guides later when I feel like it.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So, silly question: where might one find the Soul Hunter archetype?

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FabulousChester View Post
    So, silly question: where might one find the Soul Hunter archetype?
    In the original Path of War, after Judge
    https://sites.google.com/site/pathfi...lker-archetype
    Also here
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro