New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [PF] Spheres of Power: Learning by Doing Part 2

Hello, everyone!

I'm continuing a series I first started in this thread. However, it's been a while since anyone posted in it, and I didn't want to resort to any kind of foul thread necromancy, so I'm continuing it here. I'll restate my purpose here for the lazy:

I've wanted to take a deeper look at Spheres of Power for a while now, but I just haven't really taken the time. I've also realized lately that I just haven't been making enough characters. So, to kill two birds with one stone, I'm going to try to make one level 10 character for each of the classes in the Spheres of Power document. Sounds easy enough, but there's a catch: I'm going to try to pick a semi-random character concept beforehand and then mold my build into it.
    Earlier today (slash yesterday depending on your point of view, I started working on the Shifter. I decided to try to build Elise from League of Legends for my random goal.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a class and random goal for it once I'm finished with Elise?

Classes
    Mageknight - Random goal: A Rogue/Assassin.
    Elementalist - Random goal: A Metal Bender
    Shifter - Random Goal: Elise from League of Legends
    Fey Adept - Random goal: Dread witch/fear caster
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2015-09-06 at 06:51 AM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Spheres of Power: Learning by Doing Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    Hello, everyone!

I'm continuing a series I first started in this thread. However, it's been a while since anyone posted in it, and I didn't want to resort to any kind of foul thread necromancy, so I'm continuing it here. I'll restate my purpose here for the lazy:

Earlier today (slash yesterday depending on your point of view, I started working on the Shifter. I decided to try to build Elise from League of Legends for my random goal.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a class and random goal for it once I'm finished with Elise?

Classes
    Mageknight - Random goal: A Rogue/Assassin.
    Elementalist - Random goal: A Metal Bender
    Shifter - Random Goal: Elise from League of Legends
    if you taking requests would you build me a armor and teleport focused character
    Last edited by khadgar567; 2015-09-06 at 01:30 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    if you taking requests would you build me a armor and teleport focused character
    Armor and teleport...Seems like a really simple armorist build. Is there a weirder choice for a class you'd like me to try?
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    Armor and teleport...Seems like a really simple armorist build. Is there a weirder choice for a class you'd like me to try?
    if you one real challenge then build using this as main class you can add spheres as optional talant

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm surprisingly pleased with how well the Elise Shifter build worked out.

Small spiders - Spider Familiar with Mauler Familiar archetype
    Passive healing - Quick Healing bestial trait
    Q (Human Form) - Destruction+Acid Blast
    W (Human Form) - Energy Sphere+Acid Blast (fluffed as a spider instead of a sphere)
    E (Human Form) - Web Alteration Trait
    R (Transformation) - Vermin Form
    Q (Spider Form) - Vital Strike + Poison
    W (Spider Form) - Time (alter time - haste)
    E (Spider Form) - Time (Eject)

Now, if you actually want to play this build, you should WBL-mancy a bit to get a better AC. AC 21 at level 10 is pretty awful - even a wand of shield and a wand of mage armor instead of the bracers of armor will give you a ton of money left over to buy more effective items.

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    if you one real challenge then build using this as main class you can add spheres as optional talant
    That's kind of moving away from the purpose of the thread, which is to delve deeper into the Spheres of Power classes. Is there one of those you'd like me to try a build for? I've still got the thaumaturge, armorist, eliciter, soul weaver, fey adept, symbiat, incanter and hedgewitch to go.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hm. Alright, here's some ideas.

-A Lycanthrope Incanter, focused primarily on shapeshifting himself.
    -A Shifter focused on the use of fire and flame.
    -A Hedgewitch blaster.
    -A Mage-Knight martial artist, focusing on the use of Spells as Chi.
    -A Fey Adept trying to emulate a Dread Witch with a focus on Fear rather than illusions.
    -Armorist Macguyver, always having a tool on hand for whatever the situation may be.
    Last edited by Der_DWSage; 2015-09-06 at 06:38 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Der_DWSage View Post
    A Fey Adept trying to emulate a Dread Witch with a focus on Fear rather than illusions.
    I can dig it. This will be my next one.

-A Shifter focused on the use of fire and flame.
    Would he use the force of dragons to accomplish this effect? (Youtube link)

Edit: Fey Adept doc is up. I'll do the "live blogging" section for now, and I'll do the build later.
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2015-09-06 at 09:18 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Nova, you linked this thread, not the doc

Fey Adept isn't the right class for a Dread Witch type. You want Eliciter. Fey Adept is Illusions, with no special connection to Mind Sphere. Eliciter is Mind and Emotions
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Nova, you linked this thread, not the doc

Fey Adept isn't the right class for a Dread Witch type. You want Eliciter. Fey Adept is Illusions, with no special connection to Mind Sphere. Eliciter is Mind and Emotions
    Whoops. Fixed.

Re: Eliciter. Hrm. I really want to make each build do something a little arbitrary. I might take a look at the Eliciter before deciding to move forward with the build, since the Fey Adept really doesn't do much for fear effects.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

As a full caster there is no reason NOT to take a couple mind talents, but yeah, not going to match the eliciter.
    Last edited by stack; 2015-09-09 at 03:11 PM.