New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Final Fantasy X d20 (All Races, All Classes, All Monsters, Blitzball, & MORE!)

I've been looking at this system you've concocted and I must say I'm damn impressed. Reading the material has actually gotten me think a bit about turning Final Fantasy concepts into table-top role-playing ideas. In particular, I've been thinking about the Dragoon job class and how to transform it into a D&D character. One way of doing it would be to have a feat of some kind with which to transfer having a ridiculously high jump skill into damage. Any ideas about how this sort of thing could work? Cheers!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Final Fantasy X d20 (All Races, All Classes, All Monsters, Blitzball, & MORE!)

Given that gaining Aeons is almost entirely guided by DM whim (ie, if the DM doesn't want you to get Yojimbo, you will not be able to find his fayth), I was wondering what you would consider the appropriate level of one's aeons would be.

Would you advise DMs to avoid granting aeons of any level higher than the summoner? If not, what would be an appropriate difference in level?
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kwanzaabot View Post
    Not to make your job harder or anything, but I was wondering if there were any plans to incorporate the dress-spheres from FFX-2? (at the very least the special ones, i'd kill for a Machina Maw prestige class- my favourite class, liek evar).

Again, I know you've got heaps to do already, but it just occurred to me that some people would want a post-Sin campaign, or at the very least, bikini-clad Al Bhed chicks piloting giant(ish) robots.
    I'm pretty sure he already said this would only cover FFX content. I would almost be inclined to do X-2 myself, except that it would seem way too difficult what with all the on-the-fly class switching, and the fact that I never finished FFX-2. That said, if you wanted a homebrew Machina Maw all by itself, that wouldn't be as difficult, although I'll leave it to someone who won't mangle the project as badly as I would.

[EDIT] Also, she changes into a zero suit Samus-ish Metroid blue bodysuit when she uses Machina Maw. So there are no "bikini-clad Al Bhed chicks piloting giant(ish) robots." Sorry.
    Last edited by Soup of Kings; 2008-05-31 at 11:11 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

First crappy homebrew, the Arcane Gambler PrC. PEACH please!

Second crappy homebrew. Click here if you want alignments to be more confusing.

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" -Auron, Final Fantasy X

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What I'm trying to say is that a CR limitation is needed as, for instance, in FFX, the only thing that is actually keeping you from just travelling to bevelle and getting Bahamut right off of the bat is blatant railroading, combined with yuna's sense of duty towards her pilgrimage (something that not all summoners may possess).
    As railroading is just about the worst thing that a DM can do in DnD (in the opinion of many), a CR restriction would really be the only thing keeping a summoner with a high spellcraft modifier from just blowing off thier pilgrimage and travelling directly to the capital city of the world (which likely houses an incredibly powerful aeon).

On another note, I suggest having the summoner start with access to an aeon, regardless of whether their home town has a cloister of trials (because it seems a bit too limiting to say that every summoner comes from a town with a cloister of trials).

One of the things that has confused me recently is your precise goal. I don't know whether you are simply trying to make FFX compatible with DnD to be usable in half a dozen different worlds cooked up by DMs everywhere or whether you are specifically aiming to turn Spira into a campaign setting. Some clarity on this issue may help me with future comments.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Realms of Chaos pointed out the need for a defined limit to an Aeon's power relative to a Summoner's level, so I've added a line in the Aeons section, which I shall copy here: A summoner can only unlock an Aeon with HD < the summoner’s class level + 10. This had been one of my basic design concepts for the Aeons, but it wasn't officially written in stone, as it were.

Now that may seem rather high; after all, this means a 1st level Summoner may unlock an Aeon with up to 10HD, & a 15th level Summoner may unlock an Aeon with up to 25HD, the non-epic maximum. However, keep in mind that at first, Aeons can only be used once per day, for a single encounter. Therefore, a Summoner must use their powerful Aeons wisely, lest they be wasted. Also, the Aeons have been designed in such a way to conform to this basic power scale, preventing utter pwnage while still allowing a beginner Yuna (Summoner 1) to have a Valefor-type Aeon (Aeon 5/Winged Fayth 5) right off the bat. Lastly, as Aeons only gain XP during the little time they are on the battlefield, they progress much slower than a PC, so a Summoner must seek out stronger Aeons; otherwise, the efficiency of their Summoning will steadily decrease at higher levels.

I think I do remember him saying somewhere that Yuna wouldn't have been treated as a first level summoner since she was training to be a summoner for some time before meeting Tidus et al
    I don't recall ever saying anything of the sort, but if I did, then I was quite mistaken. The PC classes were each designed so that the main characters all start the game at 1st level, from the moment they first become playable. This presents some minor problems, as logically, Auron & Lulu should be of higher level than Tidus & Yuna (they already went on previous pilgrimages), & Rikku doesn't become truly playable until about a third of the way into the main storyline. But these little issues are what make the hellish experience of game design so much fun.

Now, as I stated in my Premise, this is a Final Fantasy X d20 project only. As appealing as "bikini-clad Al Bhed chicks piloting giant(ish) robots" may be (& trust me, I am a Rikku fan), I simply do not have any room in this bloated project for an content from FFX-2, or any other Final Fantasy game. I rather like FFX-2, but this project alone has taken me almost six months of work, & of the 255 single-spaced pages in MS Word (+ the Excel tables) that I've written so far, I've just published about 50. Also, the monsters in FFX-2 are only superficially similar to the ones in FFX, so those would all have to be redone, which after working on the 200+ monsters for this, I'm not willing to do. Plus, I'm desperately fighting off an urge to do either a Matrix d20 or a Chrono Trigger d20 after this, as I should really do something smaller & more original (IE something I could publish without the risk of getting sued into oblivion). So I'm sorry, but those dress spheres & all other post-Sin Spiran content will have to wait, perhaps indefinitely.

Lastly, for a dragoon-type (like the Lancer/Kimarhi), I'd say a good start would be a class feature that would allow a leaping attack at an opponent, like a charge, which adds a bonus to damage dealt equal to the amount by which the dragoon beat the jump check's DC by. Another class features could be a method for purposefully leaping on an opponent from above, dealing the dragoon's falling damage to the opponent instead of the dragoon himself. Maybe other feature could be Fast Movement or something similar. Just a couple of idle thoughts. Have fun with it, & check out some of the other dragoon homebrews here on the forum; one usually appears here every 3-6 months.

EDIT: For the record, this entire project is basically a rudimentary campaign setting, but a player/DM should be able to adopt any/all of these gameplay elements into any campaign setting with minimal effort. So, I guess the answer is that it is both at once.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-05-31 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added link

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Suffering Fayth (“Anima” Monster PrC)
    Spoiler
    Show

Requirements
    • Race: Aeon only.
    • Alignment: True Neutral only.
    • Skill: Intimidate 23 ranks
    • Feats: Improved Toughness, Iron Will, Skill Focus (Intimidate)

Fastest Route: Aeon 20

Class Information
    Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills: The Suffering Fayth’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), & Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Intelligence modifier.

MP per Level: 5d4.

Table 1-18: The Suffering Fayth (Monster PrC)
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special|Average MP
    1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Size Increase|30
    2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Elemental Ubermage|60
    3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Size Increase|90
    4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Mark of Status|120
    5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Pain|150[/table]

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the Suffering Fayth. See level progression on Table 1-18: The Suffering Fayth (Monster PrC) for more information.

Weapon & Armor Proficiency: You gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Size Increase (Su): at 1st level, your size permanently increases by one size category; for stat changes caused by size increases, consult Table 4-1: New Size Statistics; this ability does not change your speed; if insufficient room is available for the desired growth, you attain the maximum possible size & may make a Strength check (using your increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process; if the check fails, you are constrained without harm by the materials enclosing you; you, therefore, cannot be crushed or otherwise harmed by increasing your size; no worn or carried equipment by you is enlarged by the effect; clothing & armor are destroyed by the transformation; magical effects that increase size stack with this ability, so the use of spells to increase size further are effective; at 3rd level, your size permanently increases by an additional size category

Elemental Ubermage (Sp): at 2nd level, you gain some element-related spell-like abilities; you can now cast Bio (10MP), Blizzard (4MP), Blizzara (8MP), Blizzaga (16MP), Dark Attack (5MP), Dark Buster (10MP), Death (20MP), Fire (4MP), Fira (8MP), Firaga (16MP), Scan (1MP), Silence Attack (5MP), Silence Buster (10MP), Sleep Attack (5MP), Sleep Buster (10MP), Thunder (4MP), Thundara (8MP), Thundaga (16MP), Water (4MP), Watera (8MP), Waterga (16MP), & Zombie Attack (10MP); you cast these like a Ronin, a Lancer, a Blitzer, or a Black Mage with a class level equal to your HD; you do not need any somatic components to cast these, but you must spend the MP cost to cast such abilities

Mark of Status (Su): at 4th level, you gain a resistance bonus equal to your HD to all saving throws to defend against acquiring a negative status effect (all except Hasted &/or Regen; see Status Effects, above)

Pain (Su): at 5th level, you can slaughter your enemies with entropic force; this is a special ranged attack (your BAB + your Dexterity modifier + 5; no size modifier) on a single opponent that deals unspecified damage equal to 4d8 + your Strength modifier (no saving throw); in addition, your opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Wisdom modifier) or immediate die; any time you use this ability, you suffer damage equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1); 30’ range; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-02-13 at 11:45 PM. Reason: adjusting MP

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    I don't recall ever saying anything of the sort, but if I did, then I was quite mistaken.
    I dunno. Someone said it. I should've gone back and looked. Sorry, didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

And, not to be rude, but I feel the need to pose my two earlier questions about Yojimbo again. Even if you just blow them off. Just trying to help.

"Also, no Zanmato...? Also also, 'You can even negotiate the price or your services with your summoner; you still cannot dismiss yourself however.' IIRC, didn't he dismiss himself if you refused to pay him?"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" -Auron, Final Fantasy X

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soup of Kings View Post
    And, not to be rude, but I feel the need to pose my two earlier questions about Yojimbo again. Even if you just blow them off. Just trying to help.

"Also, no Zanmato...? Also also, 'You can even negotiate the price or your services with your summoner; you still cannot dismiss yourself however.' IIRC, didn't he dismiss himself if you refused to pay him?"
    Sorry, didn't mean to blow you off, SoK. I've just been very busy making everything a close to perfect as I can: writing, playing, play-testing, & editing. It's fun work, but it's still work.

As for your questions:
    • Zanmato is treated as Yojimbo's overdrive, & will be covered in the Overdrive section with is own special rules. I am aware that Zanmato was not a guaranteed attack, even in Yojimbo's Overdrive mode (seriously, why did he even have an Overdrive Gauge?), but it had to go somewhere.
    • You are right, he would dismiss himself if he went one round without being paid. However, he cannot dismiss himself if he is paid, so it just opens a big can of worms concerning circumstances under which it is & is not possible. Therefore, as I am trying to paint this in broad strokes so as to be usable in virtually anyone's campaign, I merely gave the Samurai Fayth the freedom to act as it chooses, & leave it up to the DM's discretion to set the personality of the Aeon. In this ruleset, I would assume that Yojimbo is just being a greedy jerk, demanding money that he doesn't need & can't really use for much. If left unpaid, he would simply refuse to assist in battle until the Summoner dismissed him. As written, he cannot dismiss himself, so if he refused to act unless he was paid, he would just be standing there waiting for the battle to end. However, the summoner would be stuck spending a standard action each round to maintain control of a useless Aeon, so the Summoner has a big incentive to either pay him (& thereby fulfill the Aeon's criteria for action) or dismiss him. It evens out in the end to the same basic gameplay choices: either appease the Aeon, or face the consequences; that is the logical result of dealing with a creature that has free will, as opposed to a bound slave.

I hope this clarifies things for you. My design choices are almost never chosen capriciously, & (as often as I can) I stick to the source material.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Joined Fayth (“The Magus Sisters” Monster PrC)
    Spoiler
    Show

Requirements
    • Race: Aeon only.
    • Alignment: True Neutral only.
    • Skill: Spot 23 ranks, Tumble 23 ranks
    • Feats: Great Cleave, Lightning Reflexes, Spring Attack
    • Special: you must enter this class together with 1-3 other Aeons who are willing to be joined with you (hereinafter referred to as your siblings)

Fastest Route: Aeon 20

Class Information
    Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills: The Joined Fayth’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), & Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Intelligence modifier.

MP per Level: 2d6+8.

Table 1-19: The Joined Fayth (Monster PrC)
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special|Average MP
    1st|+1|+2|+2|+2|Initial Options|37.5
    2nd|+2|+3|+3|+3|Mage’s Alternatives|75
    3rd|+3|+3|+3|+3|Freedom of Choice|112.5
    4th|+4|+4|+4|+4|Mark of Status|150
    5th|+5|+4|+4|+4|Final Decisions|187.5[/table]

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the Joined Fayth. See level progression on Table 1-19: The Joined Fayth (Monster PrC) for more information.

Weapon & Armor Proficiency: You gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Initial Options (Su): at 1st level, you gain a unique trait to distinguish you from your siblings; once you have chosen a trait, your choice cannot be changed; this attack can be chosen from the options below:
    • Size Increase: your size permanently increases by one size category; for stat changes caused by size increases, consult Table 4-1: New Size Statistics; this ability does not change your speed; if insufficient room is available for the desired growth, you attain the maximum possible size & may make a Strength check (using your increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process; if the check fails, you are constrained without harm by the materials enclosing you; you, therefore, cannot be crushed or otherwise harmed by increasing your size; no worn or carried equipment by you is enlarged by the effect; clothing & armor are destroyed by the transformation; magical effects that increase size stack with this ability, so the use of spells to increase size further are effective
    • Synergy: you can rely on the support of your sisters to bolster your attacks; you gain a morale bonus to your attack rolls equal to the Strength modifier of all siblings within 30’; this bonus can be used for a number of rounds per day equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1 round)
    • Awesome Blow: you gain Awesome Blow as a bonus monster feat, even if you do not meet the prerequisites to quality for it

Mage’s Alternatives (Sp): at 2nd level, you gain some spell-like abilities; you can now cast a number of “spells”, selected from one of 3 Mage Packages; once you have chosen a package, your choice cannot be changed; you cast these like a PC with a class level equal to your HD; you do not need any somatic components to cast these, but you must spend the MP cost to cast such abilities; the packages are listed below:
    • Mage Package #1: Auto-Life (97MP), Blizzaga (16MP), Cure (4MP), Cura (10MP), Curaga (20MP), Drain (12MP), Firaga (16MP), Flare (54MP), Full-Life (60MP), Life (18MP), Osmose (0MP), Thundaga (16MP), Ultima (90MP), & Waterga (16MP)
    • Mage Package #2: Cure (4MP), Cura (10MP), Curaga (20MP), Haste (8MP), Nul (2MP), Protect (10MP), Shell (12MP), & Reflect (14MP)
    • Mage Package #3: Bio (10MP), Blizzara (8MP), Blizzaga (16MP), Death (20MP), Doublecast (0MP), Drain (12MP), Fira (8MP), Firaga (16MP), Flare (54MP), Lancet (0MP), Osmose (0MP), Thundara (8MP), Thundaga (16MP), Watera (8MP), & Waterga (16MP)

Freedom of Choice (Ex): at 3rd level, you gain some leeway when you are called by a summoner to battle; each round, you may take an action that your summoner chooses, or you can make a Will save (DC10 + the summoner’s class level) to act as you desire; you cannot refuse your summoner, however, if they request that you perform your overdrive, if any (as long as you & your siblings each have 100OP); you also cannot dismiss yourself, so you must wait for an encounter to end or for your summoner to dismiss you to return to your transdimensional pocket

Mark of Status (Su): at 4th level, you gain a resistance bonus equal to your HD to all saving throws to defend against acquiring a negative status effect (all except Hasted &/or Regen; see Status Effects, above)

Final Decisions (Su): at 5th level, you gain a special attack; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; once you have chosen an attack, your choice cannot be changed; this attack can be chosen from the options below:
    • Camisade: you can leap high into the air & strike a single opponent within 30’ from above; this is a special melee attack (your BAB + your Strength modifier + 5; no size modifier) that deals bludgeoning damage based on your size (Diminutive 1d3+1, Tiny 1d4+2, Small 1d6+3, Medium 1d8+4, Large 2d6+6, Huge 2d8+8, Gargantuan 4d6+12, Colossal 6d6+16); if a creature makes a Reflex save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Wisdom modifier), then they only take half damage
    • Razzia: you can slash 1 opponent with blades that grow from your arms; this is 2 standard melee attacks, both using your full BAB; each blade that hits deals maximized slashing damage (2d8 + your Strength modifier); if a creature makes a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Wisdom modifier), then they only take half damage
    • Passado: you can pelt 1 opponent with a barrage of stingers; this is 2d6+8 special ranged attacks, all using your full BAB; each stinger that hits deals maximized piercing damage (2d8); if a creature makes a Reflex save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Wisdom modifier), then they only take half damage
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-02-13 at 11:56 PM. Reason: adjusting MP

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

...I hope this clarifies things for you. My design choices are almost never chosen capriciously, & (as often as I can) I stick to the source material.
    Yeah, thanks. IIRC, having Yojimbo's Overdrive gauge full greatly increased the chance of him performing Zanmato, along with paying him more and a few other factors I've forgotten. But yeah, that's all good, thanks for clearing it up for me.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, thanks. IIRC, having Yojimbo's Overdrive gauge full greatly increased the chance of him performing Zanmato, along with paying him more and a few other factors I've forgotten. But yeah, that's all good, thanks for clearing it up for me.
    Yes, actually the best review of Yojimbo's in-game behavious can be found here. Needless to say, my version of Zanmato is greatly simplified.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Magic
    Magic in Spira: Overview
    Magic in Spira is not like the magic found in a normal D&D world. For one, almost all creatures have some magical ability, even if they may have no real talent for wielding it. Each creature in Spira receives a certain number of MP as they gain HD, depending on the class or creature type with which they are gaining the HD; see Table 5-1: MP per HD by Creature Type, as well as Table 5-2: MP per HD by Class Level. A creature can spend their MP on any class features or abilities that require them. Creatures are not limited to the number of times that they may use MP-consuming class features or abilities, but they must spend the full MP cost each time that they want to use a feature with an MP cost. A creature cannot use a feature if they do not have enough MP to cover its cost. MP is restored to a creature by gaining a level (full restoration), getting a full night’s rest (full restoration), or using MP-restoring items.

Another major difference between magic in Spira & the magic systems of other campaign settings is the acquisition & use of spells. Unlike other campaign worlds, individual modular spells do not exist in the traditional sense. Instead, creatures in Spira acquire special abilities (extraordinary, supernatural, & spell-like) as they advance in class levels, most often as unique class features. Monsters tend to gain special abilities as they gain Hit Die.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-07-22 at 11:27 AM. Reason: clarity

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Table 5-1: MP per HD by Creature Type
    {table=head]Creature Type|MP per HD|Average MP
    Aberration|1d6+4|7.5
    Animal|2d4|5
    Construct|1d4|2.5
    Dragon|2d6+8|15
    Elemental|2d4|5
    Fey|2d6+8|15
    Giant|1d6+4|7.5
    Humanoid|1d6+4|7.5
    Magical Beast|1d6+4|7.5
    Monstrous Humanoid|1d6+4|7.5
    Ooze|1d4|2.5
    Outsider|1d6+4|7.5
    Plant|2d4|5
    Undead|1d4|2.5
    Vermin|2d4|5[/table]
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-02-13 at 10:43 PM. Reason: downward adjustment

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Table 5-2: MP per HD by Class Level
    {table=head]Class|MP per HD|Average MP
    Pugilist|1d6+4|7.5
    Summoner|2d6+8|15
    Ronin|1d6+4|7.5
    Lancer|1d6+4|7.5
    Blitzer|1d6+4|7.5
    Black Mage|2d6+8|15
    Bandit|1d6+4|7.5
    Crusader|2d4|5
    Merchant|2d4|5
    Priest|1d6+4|7.5
    Aristocrat|1d6+4|7.5
    Commoner|1d4|2.5
    Expert|2d4|5
    Aeon|2d6+8|15[/table]
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-02-13 at 10:46 PM. Reason: downward adjustment

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Elements
    The world of Spira has four opposing elements: Fire, Ice, Lightning, & Water. These elements shape the world of Spira & power most magic in some form or another. Many creatures have an innate affinity for one element or another. An attack (either from a magic item, a spell, or some other offensive ability) of one element does 50% more damage to a creature of the opposing element. A creature of a particular element is usually immune to damage caused by energy of the same element, & sometimes even absorb energy of their same element, healing HP equal to the amount of damage that the attack would normally deal (up to the creature’s normal maximum HP).
    Fire (Red) <-> Ice (White)
    Lightning (Yellow) <-> Water (Blue)
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-03-15 at 12:33 PM. Reason: changed font

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

The Spiral of Death
    The world of Spira is caught in a never-ending cycle of death & destruction, made all the more poignant by the brief periods of Calm in between the waves of havoc wreaked by Sin. This continuing cycle of life & death is made worse by the nature of death in Spira.

When an intelligent creature (Intelligence 3+) in Spira dies, its soul continues to exist on the Material Plane, powered by the pyreflies (see Creatures: Pyrefly). This spirit forms a physical shell much like the body it once had. In order for a being to rest in the afterlife of the Farplane (see Locations: Guadosalam), it must find its way there (Wisdom check, DC12) & make the choice to cross over. Some souls have a hard time gaining access to the Farplane, or feel that they have unfinished business, or they may even get lost along the way. If this happens, the spirit remains on Spira as an Unsent, & may over time become a fiend.

Unsent appear as they did in life, & those who encounter them may not know that they are actually dead. Perceiving an Unsent as such requires a successful Spot check (DC25) or a successful Knowledge: Religion check (DC25). Full-blooded Guado can use their Detect Undead ability to tell whether a person is alive or not.

Once per year, an Unsent must make a successful Will save or become Chaotic Evil. The Difficulty Class for this check equals the number of years spent as an Unsent divided by their Charisma bonus (minimum +1). Those that become Chaotic Evil immediately transform into fiends. A fiended undead is a creature with an equal Challenge Rating to the originals Unsent, but can be of nearly any type/subtype (no Construct, Fey, Giant, or Humanoid fiends have ever been reported, however). The specific creature is determined by the environment of where it was turned into a fiend; only fiends native to that environment will be created there (Cold subtype fiends created only in arctic areas, for instance).
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-11 at 06:51 PM. Reason: changed font

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm terribly sorry for the constant revising, but perfection doesn't come easily. Here are the latest fixes/additions/updates, which are already edited into the appropriate entries:
    • Guado: the Detect Undead ability now has an action type (swift) & does not provoke AoO
    • Summoner: their bonus feats now explicitly include Universal Spell Feats (coming soon)
    • Summoner: Dispel does not offer a saving throw to resist its effects
    • Black Mage: their bonus feats now explicitly include Universal Spell Feats (coming soon)
    • All Aeon PrC's: their requirements have changed; the BAB line has been removed (the skill line makes that redundant) & replaced with required feats
    • Magic: a second paragraph has been added, denoting the lack of spells as we know them in the world of Spira; this ties into the Universal Spell Feats (coming soon)

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quick question: is the Don Tonberry AP trick going to be included? =P

I started playing again. I've gotten Tidus, Rikku, and Auron all the way through the sphere grid. ^_^

Good job so far, keep it up.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

The Sending
    To prevent the souls of the dead from becoming fiends, those who work for the forces of goodness & light developed a ritual to help these souls find their way. This ritual is called the Sending, & it is commonly used by the Church of Yevon anytime a person dies as part of their last rites. Only those undead with the [Unsent] subtype (see Creatures: Subtypes, below) can be sent to the Farplane.

The Sending (ritual)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Requirements
    • Class: Summoner 1st level or Priest 5th level
    • Alignment: any non-evil
    • Skills: 4 ranks in Knowledge (religion), Perform, & Spellcraft
    Ritual Benefits
    During the Sending, the sender must perform a ritual dance for 10 minutes within 60’ of the Unsent spirit (or spirits), sending the closest sendable undead first. The dance requires a single Perform check (DC14); if the check is unsuccessful, then the sending fails. The Sending is a supernatural ability that provokes attacks of opportunity. A sender can perform the Sending ritual a number of times per day equal to their Wisdom modifier (minimum 1).

The Sending is similar to a Turn Undead attempt, & so it follows similar rules to a turning check. After the ritual, the sender rolls a sending check to see how powerful an undead creature they can send. This is a Wisdom check (1d20 + the sender’s Wisdom modifier). Consult Table 4-2: Sending or Fiending Undead to find the Hit Dice of the most powerful undead the sender can affect, relative to their level. On a given sending attempt, the sender can send no undead creature whose Hit Dice exceed the result on this table. If their roll on Table 4-2 is high enough to let them send at least some of the undead within 60’, roll 2d6 + the sender’s total class level + their Wisdom modifier; this result is how many total Hit Dice of undead they can send. If the sender’s Wisdom score is average or low, it’s possible to roll fewer Hit Dice of undead sent than indicated on Table 4-2. A sent undead is instantly teleported to the Farplane, as if by a banishment spell. The Sending ritual costs the sender 1MP per undead sent.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-10 at 11:18 AM. Reason: added image

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

The Fiending
    NOTE: This ritual is not based on anything found within FFX or FFX-2. It is an apocryphal addition, written by me for balance reasons. I thought that it would only be fair if evil-aligned characters had the option to do something with the Unsent; sort of an anti-Sending. As with anything else presented here, if you don’t think that this is appropriate for your campaign, then by all means, do not use it.

Some evil beings do not want Spira to be free of Sin. Some creatures desire only destruction, & so revel in the spiral of death that Spira is caught in. Those that choose this path of darkness can perform a ritual that transforms an Unsent undead into a monster known as a fiend.

To do this, those who work for the forces of darkness & sin developed a ritual to force these souls to become Chaotic Evil. This ritual is called the Fiending, & it is commonly used by those who want Sin to destroy the world, leaving nothing but the undead & the fiends. Only those undead with the [Unsent] subtype (see Creatures: Subtypes, below) can be transformed to fiends.

The Fiending (ritual)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Requirements
    • Class: Black Mage 1st level or Priest 5th level
    • Alignment: any non-good
    • Skills: 4 ranks in Knowledge (religion), Perform, & Spellcraft

Ritual Benefits
    During the Fiending, the fiender must perform a ritual dance for 10 minutes within 60’ of the Unsent spirit (or spirits), sending the closest fiendable undead first. The dance requires a single Perform check (DC14); if the check is unsuccessful, then the fiending fails. The Fiending is a supernatural ability that provokes attacks of opportunity. A fiender can perform the Fiending ritual a number of times per day equal to their Wisdom modifier (minimum 1).

The Fiending is similar to a Turn Undead attempt, & so it follows similar rules to a turning check. After the ritual, the fiender rolls a fiending check to see how powerful an undead creature they can fiend. This is a Wisdom check (1d20 + the sender’s Wisdom modifier). Consult Table 4-2: Sending or Fiending Undead to find the Hit Dice of the most powerful undead the fiender can affect, relative to their level. On a given fiending attempt, the fiender can fiend no undead creature whose Hit Dice exceed the result on this table. If their roll on Table 4-2 is high enough to let them fiend at least some of the undead within 60’, roll 2d6 + the fiender’s total class level + their Wisdom modifier; this result is how many total Hit Dice of undead they can fiend. If the sender’s Wisdom score is average or low, it’s possible to roll fewer Hit Dice of undead fiended than indicated on Table 4-2. The Fiending ritual costs the fiender 1MP per undead fiended.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-07-24 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added link

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Table 4-2: Sending or Fiending Undead
    {table=head]Check Result|Most Powerful Undead Affected (Maximum HD)
    0 or lower|sender’s level -4
    1-3|sender’s level -3
    4-6|sender’s level -2
    7-9|sender’s level -1
    10-12|sender’s level
    13-15|sender’s level +1
    16-18|sender’s level +2
    19-21|sender’s level +3
    22 or higher|sender’s level +4[/table]
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-06-07 at 01:33 AM. Reason: removing coming soon notice

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Universal Spell Feats
    Characters acquire special abilities as they gain class levels. Another means of getting special abilities is to take Universal Spell Feats. Universal Spell Feats are a means of adding special abilities to one’s spellcasting repertoire, using powers that would be inaccessible any other way. They are considered metamagic feats, & are treated as such for the purpose of earning them.

Universal Spell Feats help to customize a spellcaster, differentiating them from their peers. They also help to replace the many feats that do not apply to classes who do not use spells in the conventional manner (such as most other metamagic feats, Spell Focus, etc.), giving them an opportunity to harness a bit of magic for themselves.

NOTE: Only a few of the Universal Spell Feats listed below (Auto-Life, Copycat, Doublecast, Full-Life, & Ultima) could be normally acquired in Final Fantasy X. All of the others are non-canonical, & have been added as way of expanding the options available to the characters. However, they are all based on abilities used by monsters within the game, & so they have a certain logic for existing. This is not a comprehensive monster abilities list by any means; this merely lists spell-like abilities that can be acquired by characters.

Spoiler
    Show
    Absorb [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Absorb as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Black Mage 1 or Summoner 1, base Reflex Save bonus +10
    Benefit: You can use the Absorb spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Absorb (Sp): with a successful ranged touch attack, you can reduce the current HP of 1 opponent within 30’ by 50%, transferring ½ of those hit points from your opponent’s HP pool to your own (the remaining 25% is lost); your opponent can make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 108MP to use

Auto-Life [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Auto-Life as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Life class feature, base Will Save bonus +9
    Benefit: You can use the Auto-Life spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Auto-Life (Sp): you can cast a vibrant aura on 1 of your allies that will automatically raise them from the dead the next time that they are killed; this also negates KO status; the subject’s soul must be free & willing to return; if the subject’s soul is not willing to return, the spell does not work; therefore, a subject that wants to return receives no saving throw; a raised creature has a number of hit points equal to its current HD; any ability scores damaged to 0 are raised to 1; normal poisons & diseases are cured in the process of raising the subject, but magical diseases & curses are not undone; while the spell closes mortal wounds & repairs lethal damage of most kinds, the body of the creature to be raised must be whole; otherwise, missing parts are still missing when the creature is brought back to life; none of the dead creature’s equipment or possessions are affected in any way by this spell; Constructs, Elementals, Outsiders, & Undead creatures cannot be raised; this ability cannot bring back a creature that has died of old age; this is a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 97MP to use

Banish [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Banish as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Summon class feature (3/day), base Will Save bonus +9
    Benefit: You can use the Banish spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Banish (Sp): with a successful ranged touch attack, you can banish 1 Aeon within 30’ back to its transdimensional pocket for the rest of the encounter (it can only be called back out afterward); your opponent’s Aeon can make a Will save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma modifier) to resist; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 75MP to use

Berserk [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Berserk as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Black Mage 1 or Summoner 1, base Will Save bonus +5
    Benefit: You can use the Berserk spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Berserk (Sp): with a successful ranged touch attack, you can inflict Berserk status (see Status Conditions: Berserk, above) on 1 opponent within 30’; your opponent can make a Will save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma modifier) to resist; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 17MP to use

Blind [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Blind as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Blitzer 1, base Reflex Save bonus +4
    Benefit: You can use the Blind spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Blind (Sp): with a successful ranged touch attack, you can inflict Blind status (see Status Conditions: Blind, above) on 1 opponent within 30’; your opponent can make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma modifier) to resist; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 10MP to use

Confuse [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Confuse as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Black Mage 1 or Summoner 1, base Will Save bonus +5
    Benefit: You can use the Confuse spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Confuse (Sp): with a successful ranged touch attack, you can inflict Confused status (see Status Conditions: Confused, above) on 1 opponent within 30’; your opponent can make a Will save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma modifier) to resist; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 17MP to use

Copycat [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Copycat as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: 300+ maximum MP, base Will Save bonus +6
    Benefit: You can use the Copycat spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Copycat (Sp): you can mimic 1 action of the last ally within 30’ to take a turn in the current encounter, even if you do not know how to perform that particular action; this ability cannot mimic summoning or overdrives; this is an action of equal duration to the one being mimicked, & it provokes attacks of opportunity (or not) in the same manner; this ability costs 28MP to use

Curse [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Curse as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Black Mage 1 or Summoner 1, base Will Save bonus +7
    Benefit: You can use the Curse spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Curse (Sp): with a successful ranged touch attack, you can inflict Cursed status (see Status Conditions: Cursed, above) on 1 opponent within 30’; your opponent can make a Will save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma modifier) to resist; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 42MP to use

Dispel-All [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Dispel-All as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Dispel class feature, base Will Save bonus +11
    Benefit: You can use the Dispel-All spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Dispel-All (Sp): you can remove any positive status conditions (see Status Effects, above) from all opponents within 30’ (no saving throw); positive conditions include ability boosts from spells or spell-like effects, haste effects, hastega effects, nul effects (including mighty guard), shell effects, protect effects, reflect effects, & regen effects; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 112MP to use

Doublecast [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Doublecast as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Black Mage 1 or Summoner 1, base Will Save bonus +6
    Benefit: You can use the Doublecast spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Doublecast (Sp): you can cast 2 spell-like abilities in the same round from the Black Mage’s or Summoner’s class feature list; this is a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; you must be able to cast the abilities normally to double-cast them; this ability does not consume any MP to use by itself, but each ability’s MP cost must be paid

Full-Life [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Full-Life as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Life class feature, base Will Save bonus +9
    Benefit: You can use the Full-Life spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Full-Life (Sp): you can raise 1 of your allies from the dead; this also negates KO status; you can raise an ally that has been dead for no longer than one minute per caster level; in addition, the subject’s soul must be free & willing to return; if the subject’s soul is not willing to return, the spell does not work; therefore, a subject that wants to return receives no saving throw; a raised creature has a number of hit points equal to its maximum HP; any ability scores damaged to 0 are raised to their normal maximum amount; normal poisons & diseases are cured in the process of raising the subject, but magical diseases & curses are not undone; while the spell closes mortal wounds & repairs lethal damage of most kinds, the body of the creature to be raised must be whole; otherwise, missing parts are still missing when the creature is brought back to life; none of the dead creature’s equipment or possessions are affected in any way by this spell; Constructs, Elementals, Outsiders, & Undead creatures cannot be raised; this ability cannot bring back a creature that has died of old age; this is a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 60MP to use

Giga-Graviton [Metamagic, Epic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Giga-Graviton as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Aeon Prestige Class 1, 600+ maximum MP
    Benefit: You can use the Giga-Graviton spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Giga-Graviton (Sp): you can unleash a 100’ ray that instantly disintegrates all creatures within it (-20HP; no saving throw); this takes 1 minute (10 rounds) to activate, with 1 standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity each round to prepare the activation (although attacks of opportunity do not disrupt the preparations); this ability can be done once per day; this ability costs 512MP to use

Gravija [Metamagic, Epic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Gravija as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Gravity universal spell feat, base Will Save bonus +13
    Benefit: You can use the Gravija spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Gravija (Sp): you can attack your enemies with deadly energy; this ability reduces the current HP of all opponents within 30’ by 75%; your opponents can each make a Reflex save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 256MP to use

Gravity [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Gravity as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Demi class feature, base Will Save bonus +11
    Benefit: You can use the Gravity spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Gravity (Sp): you can attack your enemies with deadly energy; this ability reduces the current HP of all opponents within 30’ by 50%; your opponents can each make a Reflex save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 128MP to use

Mega Death [Metamagic, Epic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Mega Death as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Death class feature, base Will Save bonus +12
    Benefit: You can use the Mega Death spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Mega Death (Sp): you can magically slay your enemies; this is a ranged touch attack that kills all opponent within 30’ (0HP or less, see Status Effects: KO, above); your opponents can each make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) to resist; this attack has no effect on the undead, such as creatures with Zombie status; this is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 160MP to use

Mortibsorption [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Mortibsorption as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Lancet class feature, base Will Save bonus +4
    Benefit: You can use the Mortibsorption spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Mortibsorption (Sp): you can draw health from allies to sustain yourself; on a successful touch attack, you can transfer 1HP per HD from your ally’s HP pool to your own; your ally can make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Wisdom modifier) for half damage, if they wish, which reduces the amount of HP you gain accordingly; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this can only be used on allies within your party; this ability costs 10MP to use

Multi-Blizzara [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Multi-Blizzara as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Blizzara class feature, base Will Save bonus +8
    Benefit: You can use the Multi-Blizzara spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Multi-Blizzara (Sp): you can attack your enemies with freezing energy; this is a ranged touch attack that deals 1d6+1 points of cold damage per class level to 2 opponents within 30’ on a successful hit; your opponents can each make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 60MP to use

Multi-Fira [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Multi-Fira as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Fira class feature, base Will Save bonus +8
    Benefit: You can use the Multi-Fira spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Multi-Fira (Sp): you can attack an enemy with flaming energy; this is a ranged touch attack that deals 1d6+1 points of cold damage per class level to 2 opponents within 30’ on a successful hit; your opponents can each make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 60MP to use

Multi-Thundara [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Multi-Thundaga as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Thundara class feature, base Will Save bonus +8
    Benefit: You can use the Multi-Thundaga spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Multi-Thundara (Sp): you can attack an enemy with electrical energy; this is a ranged touch attack that deals 1d6+1 points of cold damage per class level to 2 opponents within 30’ on a successful hit; your opponents can each make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 60MP to use

Multi-Watera [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Multi-Watera as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Watera class feature, base Will Save bonus +8
    Benefit: You can use the Multi-Watera spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Multi-Watera (Sp): you can attack an enemy with watery energy; this is a ranged touch attack that deals 1d6+1 points of cold damage per class level to 2 opponents within 30’ on a successful hit; your opponents can each make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 60MP to use

Mute [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Mute as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Blitzer 1, base Reflex Save bonus +5
    Benefit: You can use the Mute spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Mute (Sp): with a successful ranged touch attack, you can inflict Mute status (see Status Conditions: Mute, above) on 1 opponent within 30’ for 3 rounds; your opponent can make a Will save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma modifier) to resist; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 17MP to use

Petrify [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Petrify as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Black Mage 1 or Summoner 1, base Reflex Save bonus +7
    Benefit: You can use the Petrify spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Petrify (Sp): with a successful ranged touch attack, you can inflict Petrified status (see Status Conditions, Petrified, above) on 1 opponent within 30’; your opponent can make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma modifier) to resist; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 42MP to use

Shimmering Rain [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Shimmering Rain as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Black Mage 1 or Summoner 1, base Will Save bonus +7
    Benefit: You can use the Shimmering Rain spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Shimmering Rain (Sp): you can pelt your opponents with searing rain; this attack inflicts 1d6+1 points of acid damage per class level to all opponents within 30’; your opponent can each make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 42MP to use

Sleep [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Sleep as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Blitzer 1, base Reflex Save bonus +6
    Benefit: You can use the Sleep spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Sleep (Sp): with a successful ranged touch attack, you can inflict Sleep status (see Status Conditions: Sleep, above) on 1 opponent within 30’; your opponent can make a Will save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma modifier) to resist; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 28MP to use

Ultima [Metamagic, Epic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Ultima as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: 600+ maximum MP, base Will Save bonus +10
    Benefit: You can use the Ultima spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Ultima (Sp): you can attack your enemies with ultimate destructive energy; this attack inflicts 20d6+80 points of non-specified damage to all opponents within 30’; your opponents can each make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; any opponent reduced to 0 or fewer HP by this attack is entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust; a disintegrated creature’s equipment is unaffected; this attack can only target creatures, not objects; this is a full-round action that provokes attack of opportunity; this ability costs 90MP to use

White Wind [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast White Wind as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Summoner 1, base Reflex Save bonus +12
    Benefit: You can use the White Wind spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

White Wind (Sp): you can fully restore HP to all allies within 30’ (including yourself); you cannot heal an ally so that they have more HP than their maximum; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 180MP to use

Zombie [Metamagic]
    Your magical prowess has grown to the point that you can cast Zombie as a spell-like ability.
    Prerequisites: Blitzer 1, base Reflex Save bonus +3
    Benefit: You can use the Zombie spell-like ability. Below is the rule set for how to use this ability:

Zombie (Sp): with a successful ranged touch attack, you can inflict Zombie status (see Status Conditions: Zombie, above) on 1 opponent within 30’; your opponent can make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma modifier) to resist; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 5MP to use
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-06-10 at 02:00 PM. Reason: fixed typos

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

The summoner gets Doublecast? And it affects White Magic? Is this a balance issue or just a mistake?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

The summoner gets Doublecast? And it affects White Magic? Is this a balance issue or just a mistake?
    This is a balance issue & nothing more. Doublecast isn't particularly powerful, really. It just lets you cast 2 spells in the time it take to cast 1; you still have to spend the required MP for both. This ability is still more useful to a Black Mage than a Summoner, as a Summoner's abilities as mostly heal/buff-centric. The only time a double-casting Summoner rivals a double-casting Black Mage is when the Summoner is casting Summon or Holy at the same time as they drop a potent buff spell. If you can find a loophole that allows for brokenness/munchkinism/cheese, please let me know.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is a balance issue & nothing more. Doublecast isn't particularly powerful, really. It just lets you cast 2 spells in the time it take to cast 1; you still have to spend the required MP for both. This ability is still more useful to a Black Mage than a Summoner, as a Summoner's abilities as mostly heal/buff-centric. The only time a double-casting Summoner rivals a double-casting Black Mage is when the Summoner is casting Summon or Holy at the same time as they drop a potent buff spell. If you can find a loophole that allows for brokenness/munchkinism/cheese, please let me know.
    I figured it was a balance tweak; I didn't want to insult your intelligence (which is likely much higher than mine) by assuming you didn't know how Doublecast worked. I haven't seen any issues yet, but I'll look over what you have so far.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Equipment Abilities
    Weapon Abilities
    These equipment abilities can be grafted onto a weapon. The “wielder” refers to the character currently using or possessing the weapon. Abilities are only active while the wielder actually wields the weapon; sheathing a weapon, putting it down, or otherwise ceasing to brandish it negates its abilities until it is wielded again. Weapons can only hold 1-4 special abilities (these are known as ability “slots”).

NOTE: Under each weapon ability is 3 means to add such the ability to a weapon (designated #1, #2, & #3, respectively).
    • Method #1 refers to the standard D&D way of adding abilities to magic item; IE the feats & spells needed to graft the ability, along with the required caster level.
    • Method #2 refers to the typical way on Spira (a setting in which there are no spells, per se) of doing the same; IE the feats & class features needed to graft the ability.
    • Method #3 refers to another Spiran way of doing the same; IE using a Spellcraft check (DC10 + (price bonus ×5)) to fuse the specific listed objects into the magic item, imbuing it with the desired property; failing the check by less than 5 allows the caster to reuse the objects in a later fusion attempt, while failing the check by more than 5 ruins the objects).

Any of the 3 methods is acceptable for accomplishing this, but it is recommended that only one these means be used within a particular campaign setting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alchemy: doubles the HP restored by healing items, spells or spell-like abilities used by the wielder; strong abjuration; price +4 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, cure moderate wounds
    • Method #2: CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Pray class feature
    • Method #3: DC30, Healing Water (×4)

Break Damage Limit: maximizes damage rolls for attacks made with the weapon; adds wielder’s class level to damage rolls; strong transmutation; price +6 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 21st; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms & Armor, greater magic weapon
    • Method #2: CL 21st; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms & Armor, Death class feature
    • Method #3: DC40, Dark Matter (×60)

Capture: records the opponents defeated by the wielder on the weapon, as well as where they were defeated; faint divination; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, arcane mark
    • Method #2: CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Focus class feature
    • Method #3: DC15, Arena Ticket (×1)

Counterattack: grants the wielder 1 extra attack of opportunity against an opponent that successfully hit them with a physical attack; moderate transmutation; price +4 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 16th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, haste
    • Method #2: CL 16th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Reflex class feature
    • Method #3: DC30, Friend Sphere (×1)

Darkstrike: upon a successful hit with the weapon that deals damage, inflicts Blind status (see Status Conditions: Blind, above) on the struck opponent for 3 rounds; Fortitude save (DC20 + ½ wielder’s class level + wielder’s Charisma modifier) to resist; moderate evocation; price +2 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, blindness/deafness
    • Method #2: CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Dark Attack class feature
    • Method #3: DC20, Smoke Bomb (×20)

Darktouch: upon a successful hit with the weapon that deals damage, inflicts Blind status (see Status Conditions: Blind, above) on the struck opponent for 3 rounds; Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ wielder’s class level + wielder’s Charisma modifier) to resist; faint evocation; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 4th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, darkness
    • Method #2: CL 4th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Dark Attack class feature
    • Method #3: DC15, Eye Drops (×60)

Deathstrike: upon a successful hit with the weapon that deals damage, inflicts KO status (see Status Conditions: KO, above) on the struck opponent; Fortitude save (DC20 + ½ wielder’s class level + wielder’s Charisma modifier) to resist; moderate necromancy; price +6 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 21st; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms & Armor, slay living
    • Method #2: CL 21st; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms & Armor, Death class feature
    • Method #3: DC40, Farplane Wind (×60)

Deathtouch: upon a successful hit with the weapon that deals damage, inflicts KO status (see Status Conditions: KO, above) on the struck opponent; Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ wielder’s class level + wielder’s Charisma modifier) to resist; faint necromancy; price +5 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, death knell
    • Method #2: CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Focus class feature
    • Method #3: DC35, Farplane Shadow (×30)

Double Overdrive: doubles the amount of OP that the wielder accrues; this does not stack with Triple Overdrive, but is overlapped by it; strong transmutation; price +4 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 17th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, heroism
    • Method #2: CL 17th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Demi class feature
    • Method #3: DC30, Underdog’s Secret (×30)

Double XP: doubles the amount of XP that the wielder accrues from defeating opponents; this does not double the XP accrued via any other means; this does not stack with Triple XP, but is overlapped by it; strong transmutation; price +6 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 21st; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms & Armor, moment of prescience
    • Method #2: CL 21st; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms & Armor, Life class feature
    • Method #3: DC40, Megalixir (×20)

Evade & Counter: grants the wielder an opportunity to use a Reflex save (DC = the opponent’s attack roll) to dodge a physical attack that would normally be successful, & 1 extra attack of opportunity against the opponent that attempted the attack; this ability can only be used once per round; strong transmutation; price +5 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 18th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, haste
    • Method #2: CL 18th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Reflex class feature
    • Method #3: DC35, Teleport Sphere (×1)

Firestrike: deals an extra 1d6+1 points of fire damage on a successful hit; moderate evocation; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, flame strike or fireball
    • Method #2: CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Fire class feature
    • Method #3: DC15, Bomb Fragment (×4)

First Strike: adds +20 to the wielder’s Initiative; moderate transmutation; price +3 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, haste
    • Method #2: CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Haste class feature
    • Method #3: DC25, Return Sphere (×1)

Gillionaire: magically doubles the wielder’s share of treasure that they receive for defeating opponents; this does not double any allies’ shares, nor does this ability double treasure received via other means; only coins can be doubled in this fashion (no other treasure can be magically doubled in this manner); magically doubling the treasure is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, & requires that you touch the treasure with your weapon; moderate conjuration; price +7 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 22nd; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms & Armor, greater shadow conjuration
    • Method #2: CL 22nd; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms & Armor, Steal class feature
    • Method #3: DC45, Designer Wallet (×30)

Half MP Cost: reduces the MP cost of using spells or spell-like abilities by ½; strong transmutation; price +6 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 21st; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms & Armor, any metamagic feat, contingency
    • Method #2: CL 21st; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms & Armor, any metamagic feat, Shell class feature
    • Method #3: DC40, Twin Stars (×20)

Icestrike: deals an extra 1d6+1 points of cold damage on a successful hit; moderate evocation; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, ice storm
    • Method #2: CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Blizzard class feature
    • Method #3: DC15, Antarctic Wind (×4)

Initiative: adds +10 to the Initiative of the wielder & up to 2 allies within 30’; moderate transmutation; price +2 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 6th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, haste
    • Method #2: CL 6th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Haste class feature
    • Method #3: DC20, Chocobo Feather (×6)

Lightningstrike: deals an extra 1d6+1 points of electricity damage on a successful hit; moderate evocation; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, call lightning or lightning bolt
    • Method #2: CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Thunder class feature
    • Method #3: DC15, Electro Marble (×4)

Magic +3%: increases the wielder’s damage power with spells & spell-like abilities by 3% (minimum 1); this does not increase any other factor of magic, including MP cost; faint transmutation; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, fox’s cunning
    • Method #3: DC15, Mana Sphere (×3)

Magic +5%: increases the wielder’s damage power with spells & spell-like abilities by 5% (minimum 1) ; this does not increase any other factor of magic, including MP cost; faint transmutation; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, fox’s cunning
    • Method #2: CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Focus class feature
    • Method #3: DC15, Mana Spring (×2)

Magic +10%: increases the wielder’s damage power with spells & spell-like abilities by 10% (minimum 1) ; this does not increase any other factor of magic, including MP cost; moderate transmutation; price +2 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 13th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, fox’s cunning, mass
    • Method #2: CL 13th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Focus class feature
    • Method #3: DC20, Black Magic Sphere (×1)

Magic +20%: increases the wielder’s damage power with spells & spell-like abilities by 20% (minimum 1) ; this does not increase any other factor of magic, including MP cost; strong transmutation; price +3 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 17th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, fox’s cunning, mass
    • Method #2: CL 17th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Focus class feature
    • Method #3: DC25, Supreme Gem (×4)

Magic Booster: increases the wielder’s damage power with spells & spell-like abilities by 20% (minimum 1); also increases the cost of using spells & spell-like abilities by 20% (minimum +1MP); this does not increase any other factor of magic; moderate transmutation; price +2 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, any metamagic feat, read magic
    • Method #2: CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, any metamagic feat, Focus class feature
    • Method #3: DC20, Turbo Ether (×30)

Magic Counter: grants the wielder 1 extra attack of opportunity against an opponent that damaged them with a spell or spell-like ability; moderate transmutation; price +4 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 17th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, spell turning
    • Method #2: CL 17th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Reflect class feature
    • Method #3: DC30, Shining Gem (×16)

No XP: reduces the XP normally earned by the wielder to 0XP; strong transmutation; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 11th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, modify memory
    • Method #2: CL 11th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Nul class feature
    • Method #3: DC15, Memory Loss (×1)

One MP Cost: reduces the MP cost of using spells or spell-like abilities to 1MP; strong transmutation; price +8 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 23rd; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms & Armor, any metamagic feat, mordenkainen’s disjunction
    • Method #2: CL 23rd; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms & Armor, any metamagic feat, Regen class feature
    • Method #3: DC50, Three Stars (×20)

Overdrive > XP: converts all of the wielder’s OP to XP; 1OP is worth XP equal to the wielder’s Intelligence modifier (minimum 1) × 5; strong transmutation; price +5 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 19th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, legend lore
    • Method #2: CL 19th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Pray class feature
    • Method #3: DC35, Door to Tomorrow (×10)

Piercing: allows weapon to ignore armor, natural armor, damage reduction & hardness; cannot be added to weapons that deal bludgeoning damage; moderate transmutation; price +2 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Spell Penetration, keen edge
    • Method #2: CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Power Break class feature
    • Method #3: DC20, Level 2 Key Sphere (×1)

Poisonstrike: upon a successful hit with the weapon that deals damage, inflicts Poison status (see Status Conditions: Poison, above) on the struck opponent; Fortitude save (DC20 + ½ wielder’s class level + wielder’s Charisma modifier) to resist; moderate evocation; price +2 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 14th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, unholy blight
    • Method #2: CL 14th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Bio class feature
    • Method #3: DC20, Poison Fang (×24)

Poisontouch: upon a successful hit with the weapon that deals damage, inflicts Poison status (see Status Conditions: Poison, above) on the struck opponent; Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ wielder’s class level + wielder’s Charisma modifier) to resist; faint evocation; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, stinking cloud
    • Method #2: CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Focus class feature
    • Method #3: DC15, Antidote (×99)

Sensor: allows wielder to know an opponent’s current HP, MP, AC, BAB, CR, special abilities, & special attacks; faint divination; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, identify
    • Method #3: DC15, Ability Sphere (×2)

Silencestrike: upon a successful hit with the weapon that deals damage, inflicts Mute status (see Status Conditions: Mute, above) on the struck opponent for 3 rounds; Fortitude save (DC20 + ½ wielder’s class level + wielder’s Charisma modifier) to resist; moderate illusion; price +2 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, sculpt sound
    • Method #2: CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Silence Attack class feature
    • Method #3: DC20, Silence Grenade (×20)

Silencetouch: upon a successful hit with the weapon that deals damage, inflicts Mute status (see Status Conditions: Mute, above) on the struck opponent for 3 rounds; Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ wielder’s class level + wielder’s Charisma modifier) to resist; faint illusion; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 4th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, silence
    • Method #2: CL 4th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Silence Attack class feature
    • Method #3: DC15, Echo Screen (×60)

Sleepstrike: upon a successful hit with the weapon that deals damage, inflicts Sleep status (see Status Conditions: Sleep, above) on the struck opponent for 3 rounds; Fortitude save (DC20 + ½ wielder’s class level + wielder’s Charisma modifier) to resist; moderate enchantment; price +2 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 14th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, symbol of sleep
    • Method #2: CL 14th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Sleep Attack class feature
    • Method #3: DC20, Dream Powder (×16)

Sleeptouch: upon a successful hit with the weapon that deals damage, inflicts Sleep status (see Status Conditions: Sleep, above) on the struck opponent for 3 rounds; Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ wielder’s class level + wielder’s Charisma modifier) to resist; faint enchantment; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, deep slumber
    • Method #2: CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Sleep Attack class feature
    • Method #3: DC15, Sleeping Powder (×10)

Slowstrike: upon a successful hit with the weapon that deals damage, inflicts Slowed status (see Status Conditions: Slowed, above) on the struck opponent for 3 rounds; Fortitude save (DC20 + ½ wielder’s class level + wielder’s Charisma modifier) to resist; moderate transmutation; price +2 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, solid fog
    • Method #2: CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Slow class feature
    • Method #3: DC20, Gold Hourglass (×30)

Slowtouch: upon a successful hit with the weapon that deals damage, inflicts Slowed status (see Status Conditions: Slowed, above) on the struck opponent for 3 rounds; Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ wielder’s class level + wielder’s Charisma modifier) to resist; faint transmutation; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 6th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, slow
    • Method #2: CL 6th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Haste class feature
    • Method #3: DC15, Silver Hourglass (×16)

SOS Overdrive: the wielder gains 100OP while their current HP is 10% or less than their maximum HP; only usable once each time their HP is low; injuries dealt by the wielder or their allies do not count; strong transmutation; price +3 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, contingency, greater heroism
    • Method #2: CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Reflex class feature
    • Method #3: DC25, Gambler’s Spirit (×20)

Stonestrike: upon a successful hit with the weapon that deals damage, inflicts Petrified status (see Status Conditions: Petrified, above) on the struck opponent for 3 rounds; Fortitude save (DC20 + ½ wielder’s class level + wielder’s Charisma modifier) to resist; moderate transmutation; price +4 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 16th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, flesh to stone
    • Method #2: CL 16th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Death class feature
    • Method #3: DC30, Petrify Grenade (×60)

Stonetouch: upon a successful hit with the weapon that deals damage, inflicts Petrified status (see Status Conditions: Petrified, above) on the struck opponent for 3 rounds; Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ wielder’s class level + wielder’s Charisma modifier) to resist; faint transmutation; price +2 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, stone shape
    • Method #2: CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Focus class feature
    • Method #3: DC20, Petrify Grenade (×10)

Strength +3%: increases the wielder’s attack & damage bonuses by 3% (minimum 1); faint transmutation; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, bull’s strength
    • Method #3: DC15, Power Sphere (×3)

Strength +5%: increases the wielder’s attack & damage bonuses by 5% (minimum 1) ; faint transmutation; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, bull’s strength
    • Method #2: CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Focus class feature
    • Method #3: DC15, Stamina Spring (×2)

Strength +10%: increases the wielder’s attack & damage bonuses by 10% (minimum 1) ; moderate transmutation; price +2 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 13th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, bull’s strength, mass
    • Method #2: CL 13th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Focus class feature
    • Method #3: DC20, Skill Sphere (×1)

Strength +20%: increases the wielder’s attack & damage bonuses by 20% (minimum 1) ; strong transmutation; price +3 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 17th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, bull’s strength, mass
    • Method #2: CL 17th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Focus class feature
    • Method #3: DC25, Supreme Gem (×4)

Triple Overdrive: triples the amount of OP that the wielder accrues; this does not stack with Double Overdrive, but overlaps it; strong transmutation; price +5 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 20th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, greater heroism
    • Method #2: CL 20th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Gravity class feature
    • Method #3: DC35, Winning Formula (×30)

Triple XP: triples the amount of XP that the wielder accrues from defeating opponents; this does not double the XP accrued via any other means; this does not stack with Double XP, but overlaps it; strong transmutation; price +9 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 24th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms & Armor, foresight
    • Method #2: CL 24th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms & Armor, Full-Life class feature
    • Method #3: DC55, Wings to Discovery (×50)

Waterstrike: deals an extra 1d6+1 points of water (force) damage on a successful hit; moderate evocation; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, water breathing
    • Method #2: CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Water class feature
    • Method #3: DC15, Fish Scale (×4)

Zombiestrike: upon a successful hit with the weapon that deals damage, inflicts Zombie status (see Status Conditions: Zombie, above) on the struck opponent for 3 rounds; Fortitude save (DC20 + ½ wielder’s class level + wielder’s Charisma modifier) to resist; moderate transmutation; price +2 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 16th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, create undead
    • Method #2: CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Death class feature
    • Method #3: DC20, Candle of Life (×30)

Zombietouch: upon a successful hit with the weapon that deals damage, inflicts Zombie status (see Status Conditions: Zombie, above) on the struck opponent for 3 rounds; Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ wielder’s class level + wielder’s Charisma modifier) to resist; faint transmutation; price +1 bonus
    • Method #1: CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, animate dead
    • Method #2: CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Life class feature
    • Method #3: DC15, Holy Water (×70)
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-08-20 at 07:20 AM. Reason: incredibly minor tweak (OD>XP)

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Exactly how does gilleonaire work?

I mean, picture the scenario...

DM: Okay, you've beaten the dragon and claimed its hoarde. Dave, as you have that sword of yours, the treasure is larger, but just for your share.
    Bob: Wait! can't we split the extra money amongst all of us as well.
    DM: You don't get any of that extra money because your mace doesn't have the gilleonaire ability.
    Bob: So for all intensive purposes, Dave just walked up and took a larger share of the treasure just because his sword is extra shiny.
    DM: Yes.
    Bob: That doesn't make sense! That doesn't make *headsplode*
    Dave: I call dibs on his share.

Also, for the record, abilities that were overly powerful in the game tend to be overly powerful in their converted forms. Let's count down to overpowered-ness.

6. Darktouch/Poisontouch/Silencetouch/Sleeptouch/Stonetouch/Zombietouch: Pardon me for saying so but I think things get a bit extreme when there is no saving throw to resist a status ailment. Due to the short duration, however, this is probably the least of my complaints. It still annoys me but I can deal with it.

5. counterattack/evade and counter: Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit are a couple of extremely powerful feats, each of which allows you to take a -4 AC penalty to counterattack any who attack you. These abilities only work if you are hit but don't require you to take a penalty. Even so, I am under the personal opinion that these are a bit overpowered. In the case of evade and counter a better version of defensive roll usable at will pushes the ability beyond the limit.

4. Gilleonaire: In addition to my aforementioned comments, allow me to add the following. I am against most abilities that create more money than is required to create it. Notice that a scroll of wish costs more money to create than it is capable of creating. Also notice that the only item that makes money, the everfull purse, is an artifact. In fact, the one time that this rule has been broken, the candle of invocation, we end up with a neverending loop and infinite gp. I doubt that this ability will go that far but it is still something to keep in mind.

3. Half/one MP Cost: You do know that casting something like full-life or ultima for the cost of 1 MP is essentially the same thing as casting Meteor Swarm with a 0 level spell slot. Casting everything for half cost, should be a near epic (or epic) ability, considering that is essentially imitates a ring of wizardry for all spell levels simultaneously.

2. Double/Triple XP and OP -> XP: These abilities are sick and wrong. To my knowledge there is no prior spell or ability that grants XP. There is a reason for this. If there were such abilities, whoever had access to them would level up more quickly, leaving their compatriots behind them. While keeping the CR of foes level appropriate for the weaker characters would keep the high characters from shooting too far ahead, the weak characters would never catch up. Unlike in the real FFX game, where it is no big deal if half of your party is incompetent (I only ever trained four people), it is a very bad thing when some party members start gaining levels faster.

1. Deathtouch: MOVE OVER VORPAL CAUSE DADDY'S GOT A NEW BEST FRIEND!
    Seriously, this thing is sick. With vorpal (+5 bonus ability), a critical hit means death to things that aren't constructs or undead. With this (+4 bonus ability), a successful normal hit automatically kills anything with no save or anything. Furthermore, as it only requires "a hit", you can make a touch attack against your foe to wipe them out.
    Are you ready, cause this only gets better. Nowhere in the ability does it ever say that the hit foe is the one that dies. That's right. I can attack the BBEG's mooks to kill the BBEG. In fact, I can attack myself for nonlethal damage to kill the BBEG.

Edit: Even though it exists in the game, I'd get rid of the instructions on how to make a 0 xp item. As its only liable to appear on artifacts or weapons of legacy, which players have little business creating anyway, I'd simply list it as an ability of such items instead of making it an item property. Besides, what crazy person would add this to an item on purpose? Even for cursed items, a wizard would have little reason to place 0 XP items and spread them around the treasure hoarde for intruders to find, seeing as it fails to hinder their current capabilities at all and thus ends up seeming more like an arbitrary DM wrath than a logical curse.

PS: Sorry if I sound a bit demeaning in that post. I got a bit carried away.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2008-06-09 at 04:39 PM.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    various harsh-yet-insightful critiques of the weapon abilities
    Ouch.

Well, I envision Gillionaire to work something like this:

DM: Alright, you've felled the vile beast. The fiend's body dissipates into a clouds of shimmering pyreflies. (*rolls*) A small leather pouch is left behind by the gossomer lights.
    Auron: Hmph.
    DM: (*rolls*) Within the pouch, you find 700 Gil.
    Wakka: Let's split it evenly, ya?
    DM: Okay, then you'd each get 100 Gil. So, anyway, on the other side of the clearing you see-
    Rikku: I apply my Gillionaire!
    DM: Alright. You spend a round tapping the treasure with your claw. The Gil coins magically split in twain, yielding 200 Gil.
    Rikku: Yay! Mad loots!
    Kimarhi: Kimarhi counts his Designer Wallets.

Most of your critiques, RoC, can be summed up thusly: the weapon abilities are way overpowered for their listed bonus price. You're quite right. I was hesitant to have many epic abilities, but I see that such things are inevitable. If I wish to faithfully & accurately emulate FFX with D20 rules, I have to respect the standard D20 power curve, & that means that some abilities are epic by definition.

To that end, I have done a major overhaul of the weapon abilities, & that also tweaked the armor abilites (coming soon) to match these changes. In response to your specific notes:

6. Darkstrike/Poisonstrike/Silencestrike/Sleepstrike/Stonestrike/Zombiestrike: All have been given saving throws, albeit high-DC ones.

5. Counterattack/Evade & Counter/Magic Counter: All have been raised in price; CA & MC are now +4, while E&C is now +5.

4. Gillionaire: This is now epic; in addition, the ability's effects have been clarified.

3. Half MP Cost/One MP Cost: Both are now epic.

2. Double XP/Triple XP/Overdrive -> XP: All have been raised in price; Overdrive -> XP is now +5, Double XP is now +6, & Triple XP is now +9.

1. Deathstrike: This is now epic (+6) & has been given a high-DC saving throw.

Minor tweaks have also been made to other abilities, mostly price raises. That should fix things. How does it look now?

P.S.: Stop yelling. I'm right here.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-06-10 at 11:14 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

DM: Alright, you've felled the vile beast. The fiend's body dissipates into a clouds of shimmering pyreflies. (*rolls*) A small leather pouch is left behind by the gossomer lights.
    Auron: Hmph.
    DM: (*rolls*) Within the pouch, you find 700 Gil.
    Wakka: Let's split it evenly, ya?
    DM: Okay, then you'd each get 100 Gil. So, anyway, on the other side of the clearing you see-
    Rikku: I apply my Gillionaire!
    DM: Alright. You spend a round tapping the treasure with your claw. The Gil coins magically split in twain, yielding 200 Gil.
    Rikku: Yay! Mad loots!
    Kimarhi: Kimarhi counts his Designer Wallets.
    Now I can't get the image of the FFX gang sitting around a table with Funyuns and Mt. Dew, rolling dice out of my head.

I noticed the absence of some abilities, which I assume are just too overpowered (Cough, Auto-Phoenix, cough, [Element] Eater, cough, [Status] proof, cough...) or hard to implement. It feels weird commenting on stuff like that, since I'm well learned in the ways of FFX and notice them easily, but it's hard for me to comment on their d20 application, as I'm notoriously bad with game balance and those sorts of things.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Um...I apologized...at the end.

Anyway, the language of gilleonaire is still a bit unclear. I'm pretty sure that the item only doubles coins, something that you should specify unless you intend for players to double gems, art items, and magic items (could you honestly imagine a party finding a ring of three wishes and giving it to the gilleonaire to double it.)

also, although not quite true to the ability, I'd put a once per round limitation on dodging damage through evade and counter. It would still be plenty powerful.