New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Ruceeglaelsktinag: "Justifiable Genocide", Contradiction in terms? (IC)

((OOC Thread))
    Scene Reptile
    It has been another day on the road Pelor's orb is doing exactly what it has done for about the last thousand years (yes, only a thousand, there was some sort of incident a while back that caused him to tweak its motion for a bit, but the reasons are utterly unknown to any of you... it is a popular feature of some very entertaining stories however), a few clouds dot the sky, but nothing low enough that the archery units aren't keeping too many of their bows strung in case some winged foe is using them for cover (keeping a non-magical bow strung too long wears the wood and string out fast enough that army policy is against it being overdone)...

You have all been either walking if you can keep to the human and elven pace ((20')), or riding in a cramped, armored wagon if you didn't have a mount. This area is juuust rocky enough that the wagon drivers will occasionally expend a few seconds of their daily hovering energy to get over a particularly teeth-jarring section of insufficiently buried boulders ((1' max altitude, the armored animals pulling the wagons are NOT levitated, mostly used for going "off road" through rough terrain)). The ones in the wagons appreciate the commander's lenience in allowing this, even in this relatively low-threat environment.

A lone kobold has been summoned to the commander's wagon-office, a dragon tags along after him, as always.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2014-02-02 at 09:39 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Ruceeglaelsktinag: "Justifiable Genocide", Contradiction in terms? (IC)

Scene Reptile

Forseti rapidly climbs to Vaex's shoulder, tilting his head inquisitively--looking first at the messenger before turning to his kobold caretaker.

"Geou si gethrisj mrith wux?"
    "Will I go with you?"

Forseti's tail flicks back and forth as he awaits his answer, wondering why Vaex would be called.
    Last edited by Terrador; 2014-02-06 at 11:16 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Ruceeglaelsktinag: "Justifiable Genocide", Contradiction in terms? (IC)

Scene Reptile
    The messenger departs, leaving the two companions alone. Looking at the wagon before him, Vaex turns his head to regard the wyrmling with a set of smoky-lensed goggles. The kobold's small crest rests flat against his head.

"Agantal."
    "Always."

Reluctantly, Vaex steps forward and pushes open the door to his "commander's" office wagon. The habitual scowl he wears deepens as he steps inside. It's always trouble when I am called. They never summon me just to talk or share a nice meal. "Vaex, do this; Vaex, do that! Remember, we're always watching you!" As if they could actually find me, the blundering munthreki*...*humans
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2014-02-02 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Adding scene designation

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Scene Reptile
    And the matter must be especially grave if the Commander is bothering to speak to you... you've never actually met him before.

"I've noticed you have filed a standing request for updates on anything related to Veska." Says Thomas, the Commander of the unit. His voice is neutral... he is probably setting you up to REALLY lay into you... or maybe not, these humans are very unpredictable to you.

As for the request, it did seem the obvious thing to do when the unit is carting around an at-will long-range, secured communications helm... I mean it IS your entire purpose in associating with these people at all... track him down, bring him back to the warren, to be turned over to the humans formally... one kobold suffers, the warren lives. So it would only make sense that any leads be forwarded to you.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2014-02-02 at 09:39 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

5. - Top - End - #5

Scene Reptile
    Vaex nods sharply at Commander Thomas's statement.

It's tricky dealing with these humans. They just aren't consistent. Appeal to their fear. That's the only constant. Make their problem go away, and I can go away.

"Yes. And you would benefit well from doing it quickly. Unless, of course, you don't mind the possibility of a repeat incident..."
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2014-02-02 at 10:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Scene Reptile

Forseti utters a small bark in agreement before continuing.

"Tir wux shiofme--"
    "Do you think--"

The wyrmling shakes his head, holds his claw up for a brief moment.
    I swear, I can't remember my Common to save my life. What's the word for--ah, got it.

"Do you really take issue with that? Petisse--eep, kobold--trapsmiths are legendary! You send troops in there, and many many bipeds will die, among these and among the scaled ones. We're strong and hard to find and might actually be trusted! If you want to reprimand Vaex for this--"

Forseti hops from Vaex's shoulder to the commander's desk for emphasis before finishing his thought:

"--then you might want to take another look at every other soldier you have that's ever given quarter or used his brains to protect his comrades.

The wyrmling is almost literally fuming at the end of this short rant, and has to carefully monitor his breath to avoid lighting the commander's desk aflame.
    Last edited by Terrador; 2014-02-06 at 11:16 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Scene Reptile
    Vaex looks down at his young ward and chastises him.

"Forseti, petranas! Ehtah wer martivir di Io!"
    "Forseti, please! Find the peace of Io!"

He turns his gaze to the commander, speaking the next few words with an almost physical effort.

"Forgive him, please. He still has yet to grow into the wisdom of his ancestors."

Vaex glances significantly at Forseti and waits for the expected reprimand.
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2014-02-02 at 10:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Scene Reptile
    To Vaex:
    "Your tone is UNACCEPTABLE, I am in command and you WILL respect that just like any other soldier!"

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 15 to open
    Show
    He is asserting his authority in a military way... NOT as a "you kobold piece of dung",
    Spoiler: If your roll would have beat a DC 20, open this one too.
    Show
    and is actually being just a TINY HAIR less harsh about it than you think he would be with another humanoid, based on what you have observed of the interactions between various levels of the chain of command around the unit.

He pauses just long enough that one of you is about to respond before he starts to speak again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If we were playing face-to-face I'd allow some sort of opposed charisma check here or something for each of you to say something or just do the same thing IRL as he is doing in-game, but since this is PbP, I'm going to say that neither of you get a complete thought in in the gap, or maybe nothing at all, depending on how you write your responses.

"Your request, on the other hand, was a perfectly reasonable one. It is... unfair to keep you waiting around like this. You say you are willing to set right what went wrong on the behalf of your tribe, and that is... sufficient.

I'm of a mind to grant you a leave of absence. I rather doubt that the three weeks of emergency leave it is within my discretion to grant to a soldier under my command would do much to resolve the situation, but if you could convince me that you could work with some group of heroic professionals, I could assign you and one or more others to them to give assistance of a very open ended sort. For one thing, it is a proven fact that such units work best without a strict chain of command. You would be observed by the other enlistees and/or officers I would send along, but you wouldn't be subject to their authority per se.

I've got a group in mind, and an initial, more defined, mission for you. Sort of a trial period to see if things work out, or if some other group might be more suitable for our requirements.

I'm going to send you to them right now for you to make an assessment of their suitability. If they seem good, then your group should report to Sargent Roberts for your marching orders on that initial mission I suggested. If not, return here and explain the problem or problems to me, and I'll use that to direct further search for an appropriate position.

As for you objections to the level of results of our search, I'll be sure to pass along your sentiments to my superior... if that is what you actually still wish?
    "

To Forseti:
    "I'm going to excuse you due to your young age and the fact that you aren't TECHNICALLY under my command. You are going to need to learn better judgement about how you say things..."
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2014-02-02 at 09:40 PM.
    Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Scene Reptile

Forseti returns to Vaex's shoulder after his reprimand, still fuming.

Sense Motive: (1d20+4)[15]

After the commander's response... Forseti dips his head ever-so-slightly, in an almost mocking manner, before responding.

"As you wish, Commander."

Once Vaex exits the tend, Forseti has a few words for him:

"Si mi bivai, isthasy. Si tira ti jatil ekess dronilnr jacida wotpetranaswin acht wux..."
    "I am sorry, brother. I did not mean to bring his displeasure upon you..."

I still do not understand why I was to hold my tongue. I am a dragon! We are beholden to none. I did not threaten or attempt to usurp the human--what went wrong?
    Last edited by Terrador; 2014-02-06 at 11:17 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Scene Reptile
    Sense Motive: (1d20+2)[18]

A reptilian hiss passes Vaex's lips and his crest raises itself slightly. Eventually, however, the intended message is understood and he regains control of himself, calmly answering Commander Thomas.

"Very well. I agree that a small team would be the most efficient method. I shall inspect them and, Io willing, we can get on with it."

"And as for my sentiments, you can pass that on to your superiors. They severely underestimate the threat that Veska poses. One well-placed spark is all it takes to start a wildfire, and fire that is dragon-born burns hotter than most. By your leave, sir."

Vaex snaps a crisp salute to the commander.
    After receiving their orders, the two of them exit the command wagon. Once outside, Forseti speaks into Vaex's ear. Vaex whispers back:
    "Jacida wotpetranaswin jahus jalyur acht ve. Shar wux zklaen yor ekess rihlilg dout harkaj. Tangis wer janikupilti ithael shilta wielg ekess vi vrinpict vaess."
    "His displeasure was already upon me. But you must learn to control your anger. Even the mightiest wyrm can fall to a lucky arrow."

And lately, it seems as if those arrows have been launched in flocks like birds.
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2014-02-02 at 10:46 PM. Reason: FINALLY got a real roll result.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Scene Reptile

"...Si geou xoal. Si jahus jennuvi tuorir ekess mitne jacion, riluoh."
    "...I will try. I was greatly wanting to light him, though."

Forseti barks in laughter before continuing.

"Svaust tira jaci dohuvy ekess qe hesi thurilri? Yth jalla tafiaf astahi jaka. Tir wux vucot sjek wux re persvek meage?"
    "Who did he decide to be our teammates? We should meet them now. Do you know if you are in command?"

"...Majak ve vi klewar. Mobi ui agantal hrekimic sjek wux vucot svaklar ekess vorq."
    "...Give me a moment. There are always coins if you know where to look.

The wyvern promptly hops off Vaex's shoulder before starting to dig and peer at the ground.

Search (Currency and other small valuables, 5x5x5 cube below him): (1d20+8)[12]
    Last edited by Terrador; 2014-02-06 at 11:17 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Scene Reptile
    ((And here are all the PCs who decide they are enrolled in the army, plus Mebar.))

An Elf marked with the insignia of a mid-rank combatant* medic waves hello, but seems to be in no rush to be the first to speak.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgive me for repeating myself, but I know how easy it is for stuff to get lost in the shuffle of the large amount of on-the-fly world-building I've been doing:

Not a medic OF combatants, they are all that (and of non-combatants), but a combatant medic, which is something that doesn't exist IRL.

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forseti thinks he saw a species of beetle he hasn't seen before, but it got lost in the dirt before he could be sure.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2014-02-02 at 09:40 PM.
    Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

Sir Luskwood rises in his wagon and gets dressed. It has been approximately two months since he has joined the military. It has thus far been uneventful; mostly basic training, and the occasional liaison duty for arrangement of supplies. This might change today.

He has hardly finished his breakfast when he got the message summoning him to meet a... kobold and a wyrmling?... outside the commander's tent, to accompany them for a mission.

He spots them almost instantly; despite having never seen a kobold before, it's hard to miss a reptile with large goggles and fangs, as has been described in the message, less still the shiny brass wyrmling accompying him. He clears his throat as he walks up to them.

"Greetings, gentlemen. I am Sir Luskwood, at your service. I have orders to accompany you on your mission?"

He stands confidently, with average height and lanky build. His skin is slightly dark, but his ears clearly display an elven heritage. He is wearing a mithril chain shirt, a pith helmet, and a brass monocle, and is holding a black-painted, silver-filigreed cane. He leads a lightly burdened, saddled mule by his side.
    Last edited by Spheniscine; 2014-01-28 at 11:02 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Scene Reptile

Forseti pops his head up out of the dirt, scrutinizing the newcomers as he pulls the rest of his body out of the ground.

"Elves? I haven't seen many of you before! Truth be told, yesterday I heard something very interesting about elves. Do you mind if I try something?"

It's as though the dragon has all but forgotten their purpose here, but that's to be expected. Curiosity killed the cat, and probably this little beast someday as well.
    Last edited by Terrador; 2014-02-06 at 11:18 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

"Half-elf, to be precise... and just what is it that you have heard?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Scene Reptile
    ((GM's Notes on this situation:

1.) Sir Luskwood has his net and (cross)bow in closed containers on his mule. If there was a surprise attack on the unit, it wouldn't take him more than a full round action to extract one of them. This is entirely sufficient to meet with the letter of the regulation that parallels the common-sense idea of "When in the field, keep your weapons close so you can contribute if there is an attack." I'll let Vaex's player decide if Vaex notices these bulges or not.

2.) He is wearing at least a shoulder-band or something that, as far as the laws of war are concerned, marks him as being a combatant. We can stretch a point and say that it doesn't mark him as being MILITARY. In other words it could be ambiguous as to if he is enlisted or if he is a "heroic professional".))
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2014-02-02 at 09:41 PM.
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #17

Scene Reptile
    Knowledge (local): (1d20+3)[23]

At once a horrible possibility strikes Vaex and his crest raises slightly. Great, just what we needed to start off.

Looking down at the unearthed wyrmling, Vaex takes adopts a stern tone.

"Forseti, si inglata ini wer montua jaxo di Kurtulmak batobot sjek wux xoal ekess shartleg wer vaecaesini ekess vdri, mobi geou qe thric ixen nomeno thurkear! Dout trekis geou ti tawura shafaer astahi ilrigan!"
    "Forseti, I promise by the pointed tail of Kurtulmak that if you try to turn the elves to sleep, there will be no fire this night! Your breath will not work on them anyway!"

Having dealt with the perceived imminent diplomatic faux pas, Vaex returns his attention to Sir Luskwood. The two-and-a-half-feet-tall kobold is forced to lean back a little to get a full look at the half-elf. He is so off-put by the gentleman's appearance that Vaex almosts misses the crossbow and net attached to the mule.

He doesn't look like a soldier at all. Does he even get his clothes dirty? I've seen nobles like him break down crying at the first sign of real battle. Still, he has shown us more courtesy than custom demands. Besides, it could be worse...

They could have been gnomes.

"I greet you, Sir Luskwood," Vaex responds formally with a nod of his head.

His assessment and assumptions of Sir Luskwood complete, Vaex turns to the medic.
    "So, what about you? Do you have a name, or shall I just shout 'Medic" when I want to see you? Perhaps 'Elf'?" Vaex examines Mebar for details while awaiting his response.
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2014-02-02 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Adding Dialogue

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Scene Reptile

Forseti appears almost shocked that Vaex called him out on his ploy.

"Ah, well..." the wyrmling squeezes out, unsure of what to say. "I think that's been confirmed. Never mind it, then. At least I learned something useful!"

Alright, Forseti, remember your lessons. Let them introduce themselves, then the questions. Listen first. Listen first. Listen first.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Scene Reptile
    The elf speaks, his voice friendly and intelligent.

"My name is Mebar. I like you. I like almost everyone I meet. You might want to keep it that way, since I may be making certain sacrifices on your behalf when we get into battle. I don't suppose you have heard of the grace-gifting?"

EDIT: Mebar is slight of limb, even for an elf, and is noticably shorter than most elves. His trunk, however, is sturdy. He bears the longsword and longbow that all but those born to sworn pacifists among his people know how to use, although the bow is of an unusual material*. His uniform is a chain shirt, of a shiny material that almost all of you are familiar with.

He is leading a mule.

Spoiler: Anyone with a wooden item made from an unusual material.
    Show
    Yes, its darkwood.
    Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Scene Reptile

Rolling Common Knowledge

"Waitaminute... I think I've heard of you! You're some sort of healer, right? Not like a cleric or anything, but still a little bit magical, right?"

21. - Top - End - #21

Bluff: (1d20+3)[20]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling to see if Sir Luskwood reacts to Vaex's Draconic reprimand.

Sir Luskwood smiles slightly.
    Last edited by Spheniscine; 2014-01-29 at 01:10 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Scene Reptile

Quote Originally Posted by Spheniscine View Post
    Bluff: (1d20+4)[11]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling to see if Sir Luskwood reacts to Vaex's Draconic reprimand.

Sir Luskwood smiles slightly.
    Sense Motive: (1d20+4)[11] Nowhere near enough, even without a circumstance penalty.
    Last edited by Terrador; 2014-02-06 at 11:19 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Scene Reptile
    "I'm... a bit more than that. My skills aren't as flashy as a cleric, except when I'm using the wands they issue me, and even then I can only manage the stuff that sets right what an enemy has caused to be wrong to a willing patient. I actually have my own magic, and it is a bottomless well and easy to use. The trick is... well, I'm tapped into a well of divine energy. It protects me various ways. And every one of those ways I can give away. It doesn't last more than a few seconds, but in a fight, that is enough. I'll fill you all in on the details later... Actually, there is one thing we should test right now... Forseti was it? I'm going to start some casting, then I want you to fly upwards, but DON'T use your wings. Lev."

The mystic word is quick, and the accompanying gesture is almost a mere twitch of one arm.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift Action casting. Gotta love it. How much does Forseti and all his gear weigh?
    Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Scene Reptile

Forseti instinctively flaps his wings twice, gaining perhaps five feet of altitude, before starting to realize the complete lack of gravity.

This isn't me doing this... that elf, Mebar? How? Must be that Grace-Gift magic... Alright, now I need to check if I can get down myself.

It isn't immediate, but after a few moments of drifting downwards, Forseti falls normally, hitting the ground with a small puff of dust.

"That was really cool! How can you do that? What limits are there? You said you can keep it going forever--can you really?"

Bluff: (1d20+3)[7] to hide any sign of (admittedly minor) concerns about this being used against him or his companion.
    Last edited by Terrador; 2014-02-06 at 11:19 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Scene Reptile
    "Ah... not so comfortable with that as you are on your own wings? I don't blame you, I mostly just wanted to demonstrate with you before I figure out how much Vaex weighs. I'm told he isn't the trusting sort.

<Insert comment from Vaex, if any, here>

In any case, as long as I keep up the gestures and word on regular basis I can keep my . The range is 60'... out side of that I can't take the weight of gravity on myself for you. And that is the major limit. Sacrifice. Like most of the things I do, it costs me. Its like I'm carrying you on my shoulders. Great fun with children as long as I tie a rope around them so they don't get over-excited and end up taking a nasty fall, but... problematic with adults in combat, where most children do not belong... I'm informed that the laws of war list your sort of dragon as of legal fighting age at hatching, although King Ruceeglaelsktinag forbids any hatchling under 1 year of age from enlisting for a term of service.

In any case, raw physical power has never been a... well, a strength for the elven people, so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage with that particular gifting compared to a human or a centaur.
    "
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2014-02-02 at 09:42 PM.
    Extended Signature

26. - Top - End - #26

Scene Reptile
    Before Vaex can state an objection, Forseti is lifted up into the air. When the baby dragon is back on the ground, the kobold lets loose a reptilian hiss.

"You've only just met us, Mebar, so I am going to explain something to you right now. Forseti is my responsibility and I won't stand for random magic being cast on him. If you so much as wiggle your fingers at him without permission, or for anything less than life-saving purposes, I will make you regret it. Do you understand?"

"As for your liking me or not, I do not care. So long as we don't kill each other by the end of the mission, that will be enough for me. You need not worry about providing me with these 'gifts'. If you what say is true, I will likely be beyond the range of your abilities once the mission is underway. Besides, I am used to taking care of myself. Perhaps the others could benefit more from your 'graces'."

"So, you know our names. Now that introductions have been completed, shall we go find the 'heroic professionals' of our group?"
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2014-02-02 at 10:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Scene Reptile
    "Ah, I see we have a bit of a misunderstanding. That wasn't random at all, and it was to try to save a life, namely your own. I'd thought I'd thought it through rather carefully. Unfortunately 'The best laid plans of mice and titans go often awry.'. I was actually trying to demonstrate on someone used to being out of contact with the ground before I took the measure of your own weight. If you really DO intend to stay well away, even on the march, and given what I was informed of regarding your mount, I suppose that would settle that... at least as with regards to yourself.

As for permission, I always have the permission of those I help. I had Forseti's permission just now for the first two castings, and then the third I did not. If the spells you may be more used to are like battering rams on a door or gate then mine are like the most polite of knocks by a guest who never stays long at any one time... I can't do anything to someone who will not allow it, and their hold if someone changes their minds is incredibly brief.

As for my other talents... well, they don't involve nearly as much active participation, which is the major reason I felt a quick bit of training was in order for this one. There is actually one more... but a quick bit of aerial training WITHOUT magic should lay my concerns on that point to rest.

And I'll point out that Forseti may not be of age to join this military for a term of service, but he IS of age that HIS opinion is the only one that matters here. Combined with the previous point...

Well, help us out here Sir Luskwood, what would you suggest to resolve this disagreement? That is your job, correct? To aid others in working together? If a somewhat more outside point of view with expertise on magic would be helpful I think one of the heroic professionals would have it.
    "
    Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #28

"Well, Vaex? Would you feel better if he demonstrates it on me? Or shall we go meet the chaps we're supposed to - perhaps there is one more well-versed in the arcane arts than I, who can explain things better."

29. - Top - End - #29

Scene Reptile
    Vaex looks back and forth between the elf and the half-elf before giving a snort.

"Ultimately, my understanding is not required. It is magic of a different flavor, but magic all the same. We waste time here with pleasantries and flowery explanations. Let us go find the rest of our 'merry band' and be off. I have things that need doing."

Hopefully they're not all elf-bloods, or I could be in for a long, rough hunt...
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2014-02-02 at 10:48 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Scene Reptile
    Does that mean that he will tolerate it, or that he distrusts all magic, at least as applied to his ward?

((Sense Motive (1d20+1)[5]))
    Extended Signature