New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dweomer Master [New Core Class + 2 PrC's + Deverry Cycle D20]

Wildfolk, Fire (AKA Salamander, Nixie, Redcap, or Pyromental)
    Diminutive Fey (Fire)
    Hit Dice: ¼d6+2 (3HP)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: 20’ (4 squares)
    Armor Class: 21 (+4 size, +5 Dex, +2 natural); touch 19; flat-footed 16
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-15
    Attack: Bite +1 melee (1d2-3, minimum 1)
    Full Attack: Bite +1 melee (1d2-3, minimum 1)
    Space/Reach: 1’/0’
    Special Attacks: Spell-Like Abilities, Summon Wildfolk
    Special Qualities: Fey traits, Spell Resistance +15
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 4 (-3), Dex 21 (+5), Con 14 (+2), Int 3 (-4), Wis 17 (+3), Cha 10 (+0)
    Skills: Hide +21, Listen +5, Move Silently +9
    Feats: DodgeB, Stealthy
    Environment: any land or underground
    Organization: solitary, pair, mess (3-12), or swarm (13-50)
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: no coins; 50% goods, 50% items
    Alignment: always Chaotic (CG, CN, or CE)
    Advancement: ½-1 HD (Diminutive); 2-5 HD (Tiny)
    Level Adjustment: +3

Spell-Like Abilities: 3 times per day: invisibility (self only), produce flame, teleport (self only), wall of fire; Caster level 10th; the save DC’s are Wisdom-based

Summon Wildfolk (Sp): 3 times per day, a Wildfolk can automatically summon 1d2 other Wildfolk; this ability is the equivalent of a 3rd-level spell.

A tiny little person jumps & dances before you, glowing & pulsing like a coal in a bonfire. Its flesh is dark, as if burned all over, & its eyes are two bright cinders in its sharp-featured face. Although flames erupt from its skin in many places, it does not smoke at all.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Wildfolk, Water (AKA Undine, Kelpie, Nereid, Selkie, or Aquamental)
    Diminutive Fey (Water)
    Hit Dice: ¼d6 (1HP)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 20’ (4 squares), Swim 50’ (10 squares)
    Armor Class: 19 (+4 size, +3 Dex, +2 natural); touch 17; flat-footed 16
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-14
    Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d2-2, minimum 1)
    Full Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d2-2, minimum 1)
    Space/Reach: 1’/0’
    Special Attacks: Spell-Like Abilities, Summon Wildfolk
    Special Qualities: Fey traits, Spell Resistance +15
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +5, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 6 (-2), Dex 17 (+3), Con 10 (+0), Int 3 (-4), Wis 17 (+3), Cha 16 (+3)
    Skills: Hide +19, Listen +5, Move Silently +7
    Feats: DodgeB, Stealthy
    Environment: any land or underground
    Organization: solitary, pair, mess (3-12), or swarm (13-50)
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: no coins; 50% goods, 50% items
    Alignment: always Chaotic (CG, CN, or CE)
    Advancement: ½-1 HD (Diminutive); 2-5 HD (Tiny)
    Level Adjustment: +3

Spell-Like Abilities: 3 times per day: control water, fog cloud, invisibility (self only), teleport (self only); Caster level 10th; the save DC’s are Wisdom-based

Summon Wildfolk (Sp): 3 times per day, a Wildfolk can automatically summon 1d2 other Wildfolk; this ability is the equivalent of a 3rd-level spell.

A tiny figure swims playfully through the water, splashing, jumping & diving around without a seeming care in the world. It body is a frothy tealish-white, as if it were made of sea-foam. It seems to fade to nothing, however, while underwater.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Design Notes
    Obviously, I’m a fan of Katherine Kerr’s Deverry Cycle. They’re really great books, check them out. I didn’t want do a whole Deverry D20 mega-post, but I was really excited after reading the books, so I decided to make a class based on the dweomerworkers.

I wanted to be as faithful as I could to the books, so I made the Dweomer Master a rather atypical magic user. First, they aren’t really spellcasters per se; they use a potent magic (dweomer) to great effect, but they don’t really cast actually spells so much as generate magical effects at will. This is a fine distinction, I admit, but an important one.

Because of this, I decided to give them a progression of dweomer-themed spell-like abilities rather than allowing them to use a spell list. This actually made things easier, as it eliminated the need to scour every spell for possible deviations from the depictions in the books, as well as reduced the possibility of having a lot of dead levels (always a concern with spellcasters). This way, all I had to do was catalogue the abilities used in the novels, rank them in term of relative power, & spread them out over a 20-level progression. There were some abilities that didn’t fit, either thematically or numerically, & that’s were the prestige classes came from.

Some players may find that gaining 20 spell-like abilities may feel more limiting than gaining a batch of new spells every level. In order to make the class as versatile as possible, I made sure that many of the class features had multiple uses. This resulted in the especially broad-ranging Command Wildfolk, Ensorcel, & Oath of Wyrd class features.

The results are an odd mix of abilities that combine together for a unique class. Dweomer masters have a hodgepodge of powers that sometimes resembles a monk, a sorcerer, or a druid, but ultimately they are unlike any of them.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Bonus Material: Astral Tides!
    Every day, five times a day, the astral tides wash over the world of Annwn. These primordial energies have swept over the world since before the first of the Elcyion Lacar walked the land. These tides have various magical effects, such as the cancelling of all astral seals (see Dweomer Master, Level 15: Astral Seals, above). They also have a potent effect on those who have strong ties to the higher planes. Listed below are the times & effects of the tides:
    Water: ascendant from dusk to midnight; Water Wildfolk cast spells at +1 caster level; all water-based magical damage rolls multiplied × 1.5
    Earth: ascendant from midnight to dawn; Earth Wildfolk cast spells at +1 caster level; all earth-based magical damage rolls multiplied × 1.5
    Aethyr: ascendant from dawn to midmorn; Aethyr Wildfolk cast spells at +1 caster level; all aethyr-based magical damage rolls multiplied × 1.5
    Fire: ascendant from midmorn to midafternoon; Fire Wildfolk cast spells at +1 caster level; all fire-based magical damage rolls multiplied × 1.5
    Air: ascendant from midafternoon to dusk; Air Wildfolk cast spells at +1 caster level; all air-based magical damage rolls multiplied × 1.5

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

I fixed the skills & starting packages, to be more accurate & to reflect the class's concept better. Oaths may be tweaked later. Thanks again for the heads up, U.P.