New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default oriental campaign. i need help

I'm going to be running an oriental style campaign and was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I have the following ideas:
    This "world" is under imperial rule.
    Ninjas are secretive and assassins. With no known ties to the government
    There are religious and fighting monks.
    It's more of a Japanese based campaign.
    Spirits and Demons are a big problem.

I dont know. thats just some basics i have. If anyone can help out, i'd appreciate it

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: oriental campaign. i need help

The Oriental Adventures 3.0 book is great, as well as the 3.5 Web Update. Start there.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I would go a step further and say check out the Rokugan Campaign setting. I think it was done by AEG. Excellent stuff.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I've been looking over the oriental 3.5 book. I'm going to stress that one the most due to the setting of the adventure.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Few informaition more:

- taint system has been updatet in Heroes of Horror

- OAdv has a web enhancement, MASHARPA, but it's for an indian flavour (has psionics too. Maybe you drop the idea now, but if you want to expand the campaign in the future, Secrets of Sarlona refluffed has weapon and mechanics good for Masharpa.

- MMV has 3 new ogre mages.

Hope can be useful.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Not to be a jackhole or anything, but I wouldn't call it an "oriental" campaign. Why not simply call it a Japanese-inspired campaign, or whatever it is?

I don't really say this because some people find it offensive (though some do), I say it because the word "oriental" really doesn't mean much. Technically, everything East of Europe is part of the Orient. An Oriental campaign could be set in Turkey, for example.

Sorry for the threadjack, and the nitpicky response.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Few informaition more:

- taint system has been updatet in Heroes of Horror

- OAdv has a web enhancement, MASHARPA, but it's for an indian flavour (has psionics too. Maybe you drop the idea now, but if you want to expand the campaign in the future, Secrets of Sarlona refluffed has weapon and mechanics good for Masharpa.

- MMV has 3 new ogre mages.

Hope can be useful.
    The thing im doing with magic is that the natives of this country have chi, but there could be spellcasters (wizards, necromancers, etc.) who have come and tought magic to them. I don't think I'm going to include psyonics, but im not sure yet.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PurinaDragonCho View Post
    Not to be a jackhole or anything, but I wouldn't call it an "oriental" campaign. Why not simply call it a Japanese-inspired campaign, or whatever it is?

I don't really say this because some people find it offensive (though some do), I say it because the word "oriental" really doesn't mean much. Technically, everything East of Europe is part of the Orient. An Oriental campaign could be set in Turkey, for example.

Sorry for the threadjack, and the nitpicky response.
    its okay, i understand what you mean.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Totally go Psionics. Also see if you can get the books Complete Warrior and [I]Tome of Battle[I]. Complete has the Samurai, and TOB is completely asian style. Also seriously consider firearms. Check this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ncess+mononoke

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hurgon Burgon! View Post
    The thing im doing with magic is that the natives of this country have chi, but there could be spellcasters (wizards, necromancers, etc.) who have come and tought magic to them. I don't think I'm going to include psyonics, but im not sure yet.
    Consider that OAdv has rules for Oriental themed spellcasters Wu Jen, Shugenja and Shaman.

Wu Jen has been Updated in Complete Arcane

Shugenja has been updated in Complete Divine

Shaman has has not bee updated (sorta mix cleric druid and monk. Nice but difficult to expand the spell list without break things)

Anyway, a multiclass monk / cloistered cleric (UA) fits well with the
    wandering Bonze (Italian bonzo, Japanese Bozu) concept.

I'd recommend to use Oriental Adventures Samurai, it's better than the CW, and the Iaijutsu Focus skill is nice (and nasty if used properly).

In the book you'll find a class sorta mix Paladin, Monk and Barbarian (!!!), the Sohei. Sohei has been updated in Dragon Magazine #318, has well there are in the same issue other updates for the same campaign setting.

There is also an Honor System in Unhearthed Arcana, maybe could be useful, at least as a guideline.

I think psionics are good but only for indian flavour (even if a friend of mine refluffed Psywarrior as a Ninja. I suggested them only for Masharpa).
    Last edited by Kaiyanwang; 2008-12-17 at 11:34 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I do think the CW samurai is generally regarded as... sub-par.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

oa samurai trumps cw samurai in flavor. power its a little better (featmonkeying! ancestral weapons!)

now even if you dont add psionics into it, would consider the soulknife. aside for wild talent, all they are are people who have weapons grade spirit stuff they discipline into shape. slip out wt with a feat that makes setting sense.
    Join the bard defense league

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Egiam View Post
    Totally go Psionics. Also see if you can get the books Complete Warrior and [I]Tome of Battle[I]. Complete has the Samurai, and TOB is completely asian style. Also seriously consider firearms. Check this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ncess+mononoke
    there is gunpowder in the campaign, but not everyone knows about it yet. its a rare thing to some people.