New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Welcome to My Kitchen! (3.5 PrC, PEACH)

The Ovis Cantus

Spoiler
    Show

"A true chef can whip up a delectable meal even with the basest of ingredients!"

The Ovis Cantus is a powerful warrior who can slice, dice, and serve his enemies on a silver platter. With a refreshing side salad, of course, and some garlic salt to season.

Prerequisites: In order to become an Ovis Cantus, you must meet all of the following prerequisites:

Skills: Profession (Chef) 8 ranks
    Base Attack Bonus: +4
    Special: Must be Large size or larger, or at least Medium size with the Powerful Build racial trait

HD: d12
    Class Skills: An ovis cantus's class skills are Appraise, Climb, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Nature), Listen, Profession (Chef), Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, and Swim.
    Skill Points: 4+Int per level

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Time for a Taste Test, Master Chef

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Game Master by Proxy

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|I'll Pound You!

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Now We're Boiling!

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|My Secret Spice

6th|+6|+5|+2|+2|I'll Mince You!

7th|+7|+5|+2|+2|I'll Char Your Bones Black!

8th|+8|+6|+2|+2|Lambs to the Slaughter

9th|+9|+6|+3|+3|We've Preheated Long Enough!

10th|+10|+7|+3|+3|The Perfect Dish, Gourmet Cuisine
    [/table]

Class Features: All of the following are class features of the Ovis Cantus:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Ovis Cantus gains automatic proficiency with the natural slam attack he gains through this class. Additionally, he does not take the standard -4 penalty for making an attack with an improvised weapon that is related to cooking, such as a frying pan or a knife. He may deal lethal damage with these improvised weapons, at his option. He gains no other proficiencies with weapons or armor.

Time for a Taste Test (Su): A true chef knows to test how spicy his ingredients are before he begins cooking. As a full-round action, the Ovis Cantus may assume a defensive stance. He may not make any attacks or attacks of opportunity until the beginning of his next turn, and he does not threaten any squares until the beginning of his next turn. Any spell, spell-like ability, psionic power, or psi-like ability that allows spell/power resistance and would affect him before the beginning of his next turn instead does not affect him, as if he had the golem's Magic Immunity ability. Instead, the Ovis Cantus gains a number of temporary hit points equal to 3 times the spell/spell-like ability/psionic power/psi-like ability's spell/power level, which fade in one hour. All temporary hit points the Ovis Cantus gains from the Time for a Taste Test ability stack. Additionally, while in his defensive stance, the Ovis Cantus may use his Profession (Chef) skill to identify any spell or power that is being cast/manifested as if it was the Spellcraft/Psicraft skill.

Master Chef (Ex): Anything you can cook, the Ovis Cantus can make better. He receives a bonus to Profession (Chef) checks and Craft checks related to cooking and baking equal to one-half his character level (minimum +1). Additionally, Profession (Chef) and Craft are always treated as class skills for the Ovis Cantus, and he may always take 10 on such checks, even when he is threatened or distressed.

Game Master by Proxy (Ex): While the Ovis Cantus is no leader, he is definitely the sous chef in this kitchen. Starting at 2nd level, the Ovis Cantus receives a bonus to his saving throws and Armor Class against attacks, special attacks, spells, psionic powers, spell-like abilities, psi-like abilities, and supernatural attacks/abilities equal to his class level. This bonus only applies when the source of the attack, special attack, etc., is a creature whose HD is lower than the Ovis Cantus' HD.

I'll Pound You! (Ex): The Ovis Cantus's arms are strong enough to tenderize even the toughest meat. At 3rd level, the Ovis Cantus gains a natural slam attack, which deals damage equal to a longsword sized for the Ovis Cantus (or for one Size larger than him, if he has Powerful Build or a similar ability). However, the Ovis Cantus is able to deliver this slam as fast a monk's unarmed strike. He receives iterative attacks with his slam as if it were a manufactured weapon (similar to an unarmed strike), although he may still combine it with other natural weapons using the normal natural attack rules if he so wishes. He treats his slam attack as both a natural weapon and a manufactured weapon, and may enchant it as if it were masterwork.

Now We're Boiling! (Ex): Once the pot has reached a boil, the chef is ready to start adding in ingredients! Beginning at 4th level, as long as the Ovis Cantus's temporary hit points from his Time for a Taste Test class feature equal or exceed his character level, he receives a bonus to all attack and damage rolls equal to his class level. These bonuses immediately end if the Ovis Cantus's temporary hit points from his Time for a Taste Test class feature fall below his character level.

My Secret Spice (Ex): A creature whose heart is charcoal-black with envy...she is just the ingredient any chef needs to make the most delicious meal of his career! Beginning at 5th level, the Ovis Cantus can inspire jealousy in any creature who has selfishness buried in their heart. To do this, an Ovis Cantus must spend a full-round action and make a Sense Motive check against a creature with an Intelligence of 3 or higher who shares a language with him. The creature must be able to hear him. The creature opposes his Sense Motive check with a Will save. If the target creature is of the Good alignment, it receives a +4 bonus to its Will save. If the Ovis Cantus succeeds, the creature is overcome with jealousy and despair, and takes a -4 morale penalty to its attack rolls, saving throws, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls for 1 round per class level. This is a mind-affecting, sonic, language-dependent extraordinary ability.

I'll Mince You! (Ex): Once the ingredients have been added to the bowl, a chef has to stir it up properly. At 6th level, the Ovis Cantus gains the Awesome Blow feat as a bonus feat. He need not meet the prerequisites. If he has the Powerful Build ability, he is treated as one Size larger for the purposes of the Awesome Blow feat. If the Ovis Cantus chooses to use the Awesome Blow feat with his slam attack, he takes no penalty to his attack roll, and he may send the creature flying an additional 5' per 5 points of damage he deals to the creature with his slam attack.

I'll Char Your Bones Black! (Sp): It's a sad fact that every chef faces, some picky eaters just like their meals...well-done. At 7th level, the Ovis Cantus gains the ability to cast chain lightning, as the spell, as a spell-like ability at will, with a caster level equal to his character level. The save DC is 16+the Ovis Cantus's Charisma modifier. After using this ability, the Ovis Cantus must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.

Lambs to the Slaughter (Ex): The water is boiling, the meat is tender, and the pot has been stirred. All that's left to add is the chef's secret spice! Beginning at 8th level, the Ovis Cantus can (with great effort), temporarily strip the will to live from any person he has depressed with his My Secret Spice class feature. As a full-round action, the Ovis Cantus can make a Diplomacy check against a creature who is currently suffering morale penalties from his My Secret Spice class feature. The creature opposes his check with a Will save with a +4 bonus (effectively negating the -4 penalty to its saving throws from My Secret Spice). If the Ovis Cantus succeeds, on its next turn the creature falls prone and lies helpless for 1 round, after which its resolve returns, and it no longer takes any morale penalties from My Secret Spice. After the creature's resolve returns, it becomes immune to the Ovis Cantus's My Secret Spice and Lambs to the Slaughter abilities for 24 hours.

We've Preheated Long Enough! (Ex): A chef knows when the time has come to stop seasoning the meat, turn up the heat, and put it in the oven. Starting at 9th level, as long as the Ovis Cantus's hit points (including temporary hit points) are less than half of his maximum hit points, the Ovis Cantus receives a +4 morale bonus to his Strength, Dexterity, and Wisdom scores, as well as damage reduction 5/-, and a +5 bonus to the DC of his Awesome Blow feat. These bonuses immediately end whenever the Ovis Cantus's hit points equal or exceed half of his maximum hit points.

The Perfect Dish (Ex): At long last, after all the preparations and cooking are complete, it is time to feast on the dish! Beginning at 10th level, whenever an Ovis Cantus brings a creature to -10 or below hit points with a melee attack, he revels in the conclusion of his cooking, and he immediately receives an additional turn in combat after his current turn concludes. This ability can trigger off of additional kills made during extra turns, but he cannot gain more than 5 turns in a single round with this ability.

Gourmet Cuisine (Ex): An Ovis Cantus is well-known throughout the entire Material Plane for his legendary cooking skills. Starting at 10th level, the Ovis Cantus may always take 20 on Profession (Chef) checks and Craft checks related to cooking and baking when he is not threatened, even if there is some penalty for failure. He earns 10 times the ordinary amount of money for any Profession (Chef) checks he makes.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2012-02-27 at 12:24 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Welcome to My Kitchen! (3.5 PrC, PEACH)

While none of the actual abilities really having anything... "cooking" related aside from flavor, I still really like this. The flavor of the class is just awesome, although crunch wise it does seem rather powerful. This thing can get it's class level to almost anything, which, while awesome, can be... rather abusable, especially with The Perfect Dish. I could see this thing plowing through a literal army of mooks in one round.

If I had to make suggestions, it would be putting some kind of limit on how many bonus turns you can get from The Perfect Dish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.

3. - Top - End - #3

Alright, I guess I'll cap it at 5.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Zis flavor, she is simply divine!"

Corny chef jokes not withstanding, I really like this class. The mechanical effects serve it's purpose, and the 'flavor'(so to speak.) is both interesting and consistent. The only critique I can offer is that Time for a Taste Test could probably be phrased a little less confusingly, but that's it.

Another solid Seraphi Homebrew(TM) effort.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledBrains View Post
    "Zis flavor, she is simply divine!"

Corny chef jokes not withstanding, I really like this class. The mechanical effects serve it's purpose, and the 'flavor'(so to speak.) is both interesting and consistent. The only critique I can offer is that Time for a Taste Test could probably be phrased a little less confusingly, but that's it.

Another solid Seraphi Homebrew(TM) effort.
    What part of the wording do you find confusing?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    What part of the wording do you find confusing?
    I, uh, misread it initially. Taking a second look, it's perfectly fine.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledBrains View Post
    I, uh, misread it initially. Taking a second look, it's perfectly fine.
    Ah okay. I can see how, it is unfortunately very wordy.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm getting an awesomely "Chairman Kaga" vibe here...

9. - Top - End - #9

Anyone else have any good ideas/suggestions/comments?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

I remember that game.
    Great class. The abilities are great, and I love the flavor.

I just made a pun didn't I?
    Much thanks to Wayril for the awesome avatar!

Exotic Weapon PrC Contest

My one homebrew, perpetually incomplete

"The pro of using fire is that your enemies are burning to death - the con is that now you have to face flaming enemies."

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
    I remember that game.
    Great class. The abilities are great, and I love the flavor.

I just made a pun didn't I?
    Yes you did.

And how could you forget TWEWY?! It's the best DS game ever.

12. - Top - End - #12

I had it for a while, but lost it. Kept the case though. I'm getting that again.

How do you enchant a slam?

I can't help but wonder about epic progression...

And now we pray
    Last edited by Soliloquy; 2012-02-25 at 12:28 PM.

"The pro of using fire is that your enemies are burning to death - the con is that now you have to face flaming enemies."

13. - Top - End - #13

How do you enchant a slam?
    Same way you enchant a masterwork weapon. Take it to a mage, he spends some XP on it, and gives you +1 or an ability.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

I like this from the perspective of an NPC boss, but for a PC it's seriously powerful.

There is one small mechanical glitch in We've Preheated Long Enough. You say it begins when the player is below half HP, but the ability ends whenever they go above it. It also gives a constitution bonus and, thus, bonus HP, which could put it back over full, which would immediately end the ability, putting them back under full, giving them a constitution bonus...

Yeah. You might want to fix up the wording a bit to avoid that infinite loop.

As for its power, it has the interesting combo of having absurdly strong abilities that take absurdly long to execute. It doesn't so much balance it out as make encounters wonky. This guy can only do one thing an action, and even if it is an extremely powerful thing, it kind of nullifies any attempt at strategy. I'd reduce the power level substantially in favor of making most of these actions standard actions, and replace the at-will chain lightning (dear god, why?) with something both more flavor-appropriate (I get the chef flavor, but this guy is a giant pile of muscle, not a mage) and more balanced.
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

15. - Top - End - #15

I agree. Less lightning more fire related. Give him proficiency with cooking related items.

Make one for the math guy?

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy74 View Post
    I like this from the perspective of an NPC boss, but for a PC it's seriously powerful.
    Considering you have to have LA to be able to take the class (Powerful Build is Goliath, which is LA +1, and Large Size is even harder to pull off, unless you want to spend a bunch of GP getting a permanent enlarge person, which means a single dispel removes all your class features), I think the power is justified.

There is one small mechanical glitch in We've Preheated Long Enough. You say it begins when the player is below half HP, but the ability ends whenever they go above it. It also gives a constitution bonus and, thus, bonus HP, which could put it back over full, which would immediately end the ability, putting them back under full, giving them a constitution bonus...

Yeah. You might want to fix up the wording a bit to avoid that infinite loop.
    Okay, sure.

Edit: Changed the Constitution boost to a Wisdom boost, to reflect his survival instincts sharpening his senses dramatically.

As for its power, it has the interesting combo of having absurdly strong abilities that take absurdly long to execute. It doesn't so much balance it out as make encounters wonky. This guy can only do one thing an action, and even if it is an extremely powerful thing, it kind of nullifies any attempt at strategy. I'd reduce the power level substantially in favor of making most of these actions standard actions,
    I'm already having him make a rushed Diplomacy and a rushed Sense Motive check. Seriously, normally both of those checks normally take a full minute, and I reduced them to a full-round action. I can't reduce them any further than that, it just doesn't make sense (there's only so much you can say in three seconds).

As for Time for a Taste Test, it's a completely defensive ability. This guy is not supposed to be particularly mobile, he's supposed to be a huge brute force monster. So...yeah. I don't know how I'd even get started reducing the power of it while staying true to the ability.

and replace the at-will chain lightning (dear god, why?) with something both more flavor-appropriate (I get the chef flavor, but this guy is a giant pile of muscle, not a mage) and more balanced.
    No, he has at-will chain lightning because that's an attack by Ovis Cantus in the video game. It's definitely the most flavor-appropriate ability in the entire class, and I'm not changing it.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2012-02-25 at 01:39 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

I agree. Less lightning more fire related.
    Ovis Cantus does not have a single fire attack. His ability when he uses I'll Char Your Bones Black is a barrage of orbs of electricity, and his psych pin is a Thunderbolt psych.

Give him proficiency with cooking related items.
    What cooking-related items?

Make one for the math guy?
    I'm working on it, slowly. Sho is a much more developed character than Yodai.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I ban this class from my games, as it would drive me crazy on 'how does an otyugh tastes like?'
    Jokeing. ill use it.
    Despite everything, its still me.

19. - Top - End - #19

Oh, frying pans, various knives, spatulas, spoons, that sort of thing.

20. - Top - End - #20

Oh, frying pans, various knives, spatulas, spoons, that sort of thing.
    Sure, done.

21. - Top - End - #21

Great. I have an idea for the chain lightning. He doesn't have a limit, but he also doesn't constantly use it. You could make it recharge.

22. - Top - End - #22

Great. I have an idea for the chain lightning. He doesn't have a limit, but he also doesn't constantly use it. You could make it recharge.

Quote Originally Posted by I'll Char Your Bones Black!
    It's a sad fact that every chef faces, some picky eaters just like their meals...well-done. At 7th level, the Ovis Cantus gains the ability to cast chain lightning, as the spell, as a spell-like ability at will, with a caster level equal to his character level. The save DC is 16+the Ovis Cantus's Charisma modifier. After using this ability, the Ovis Cantus must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.

23. - Top - End - #23

Huh, how'd I miss that?
    Great then.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I've never played TWEWY, but the class still looks plenty amusing.

I kind of like the interaction of longer-but-more-powerful abilities; it makes a real change from the oodles of lightning-quick action-economy optimizers that seem to pop up everywhere.

My only question is about the My Secret Spice ability, and it's followup, Lambs to the Slaughter. It seems odd to me to have an ability that only targets non-good creatures in a class that isn't otherwise good-related. Was there fluff from the original game that makes this particularly targeted at Evil types? It would seem unusual from a boss monster/enemy, especially if you are playing the hero.

I don't think that just being of good alignment automatically makes you a paragon of virtue, totally without fault, and I wouldn't object to being able to use this ability on good creatures as well. If you still want to make the ability differentiate between good and non-good, maybe make the penalties less severe for good characters, or give them a better chance to shrug it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
    I don't think that just being of good alignment automatically makes you a paragon of virtue, totally without fault, and I wouldn't object to being able to use this ability on good creatures as well. If you still want to make the ability differentiate between good and non-good, maybe make the penalties less severe for good characters, or give them a better chance to shrug it off.
    Well, I figured that it both helped limit the ability and made sense, since Good creatures tend to be more selfless than others. Guess I'll change it to just give Goods a +4 bonus to their initial save or something.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2012-02-26 at 12:37 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Can you see this guy having some way of using create food or water, goodberry, or heroes' feast as spell-like abilities? It's not mechanically necessary in any way, but they feel like they belong!

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    Can you see this guy having some way of using create food or water, goodberry, or heroes' feast as spell-like abilities? It's not mechanically necessary in any way, but they feel like they belong!
    But, but, but! All of his class features involve preparing a meal, my good sir! He just likes to eat PCs, not berries.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

That's true. I just have this image of a monstrous chef snacking on something during combat!

29. - Top - End - #29

He doesn't conjure food, he cooks it.
    You should give him something about making people into food.

30. - Top - End - #30

He doesn't conjure food, he cooks it.
    You should give him something about making people into food.
    I thought about it, but I think that might break site rules, so I'm not going to.