New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: If only: A manticore monster in heroes of might and magic 3

Doesn't WoG contain upgrades for subpar/useless skills like Eagle Eye or Learning? Or is it just for heroes who specialize in them?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

I'll admit, I've barely played Stronghold. As a faction I was never that interested in them. The main factions I played were Fortress, Rampart, and Dungeon. While my brother typically played Castle and Tower.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Just what ever goes before a dragonfly? Angels, Phoenixes and? if you attack and or get a +speed item, you're almost guaranteed to get your mass slow off, and then you just pick stuff apart. Sure, Gnolls and Lizardmen are trash, but Gorgons, Wyverns and Hydras are excellent.
    SOG advanced Dragons, Black/Gold/Ghost Dragons, Firebirds, and Efreet Sultans, if you want a complete list. Also then what? Against red or green dragons, your opponent gets the next turn and can immediately counter with mass slow (gets a free double turn effectively since you already cast and now your troops are slowed), mass haste (either a free double turn or freedom to alpha strike), or mass dispel. Even if they don't have dragons, unless you have advanced+ tactics and your enemy doesn't none of your troops can reach the enemy on the first turn besides wyverns and dragonflies and your lizardmen archers. So you either advance or wait. If you wait, they evenutally get a turn and counterspell. If you advance, they get to counter and likely two free attacks on your units.

Edit: I'm assuming a human opponent. Against creeps or AI's, almost anything works.
    Last edited by Thomas Cardew; 2019-09-11 at 12:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    Also then what?
    You have one of the most resilient armies in the game (thanks to your likely Beastmaster hero, as Fortress gets good mains in tavern), more Monarchs than your opponent and all the units you listed as speed counters are also yummy targets for Mighty Gorgons.

That, and the reality can be vastly different depending on maps; if it's a week 4 meeting like on Jebus Cross or similar you often have something like a large gnoll stack, wyvern monarchs, angels, main stack of dragonflies and 1-1-1 dragonfly, in which case the situation is much less clear cut. I never bother too much with the "what if full Fortress army fights a full Castle army" hypothetical simply because each town also has a different build-up and does different things to win; Castle has no equivalent of a Drakon-style Day 1 in SoD, and the first week progression is vastly different for either town. So it's more likely that you will mix and match. A single refugee camp can suddenly change the matchup you're fighting drastically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Doesn't WoG contain upgrades for subpar/useless skills like Eagle Eye or Learning? Or is it just for heroes who specialize in them?
    It does, but WoG itself is kinda... bad as far as balance is concerned. It's very much a kitchen sink of "throw every halfbaked idea together and hope it works".

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    It does, but WoG itself is kinda... bad as far as balance is concerned. It's very much a kitchen sink of "throw every halfbaked idea together and hope it works".
    That's because the point of WoG is to be a modular utility and not necessarily a full install. WoG (and ERA/VCMI) are cool because they have flags that allow more interesting single player maps and allow to make whatever changes you consider necessary for your enjoyment of gameplay, but you're not obliged to fully install it. There's a reason the MP community didn't bother with figuring out the "one true" version of WoG and instead kept playing SoD until HotA came around and gave a nice full package of sweeping changes all in one go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    That's because the point of WoG is to be a modular utility and not necessarily a full install. WoG (and ERA/VCMI) are cool because they have flags that allow more interesting single player maps and allow to make whatever changes you consider necessary for your enjoyment of gameplay, but you're not obliged to fully install it. There's a reason the MP community didn't bother with figuring out the "one true" version of WoG and instead kept playing SoD until HotA came around and gave a nice full package of sweeping changes all in one go.
    Indeed, and making those skills better is something I'd probably use in every game. I forget what changes HotA implemented, since I played it a while ago and not for long. Though this thread is certainly awakening powerful waves of Heroes 3 nostalgia in me...
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.