New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Why do special mounts, animal companions and psicrystals get feats but not familiars?

Topic.

For that matter, how about other minions/companions?
    Last edited by danzibr; 2011-05-02 at 12:15 PM. Reason: missed something

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Why do animal companions and psicrystals get feats but not familiars?

familiars have a base hit dice that gets overwritten by the caster's hp/character level after level 2 pretty much, but they don't actually gain those hit dice. Psicrystals and animal companions actually gain hit dice.
    BEEP.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Default Re: Why do animal companions and psicrystals get feats but not familiars?

As for why they chose to make it this way, I believe they felt Familiars were supposed to be more of a "pet" than "companion" the way Animal Companions or Special Mounts are. For Psicrystals, it seems they decided that Familiars were a bit too useless, plus you needed to spend a feat on Psicrystal Affinity, so they made Psicrystals a bit better.

That's my take, anyway.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Veyr View Post
    [...] plus you needed to spend a feat on Psicrystal Affinity, so they made Psicrystals a bit better.

That's my take, anyway.
    Ahh, I never thought about it that way. To be honest I was kind of fishing for, "Well, I think psicrystals shouldn't get feats blah blah." Good point.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why do special mounts, animal companions and psicrystals get feats but not famili

Familiars get one feat. More if you have an Improved Familiar with 3+ HD. Your DM might let them take flaws.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-05-02 at 01:05 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Why do special mounts, animal companions and psicrystals get feats but not famili

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Familiars get one feat. More if you have an Improved Familiar with 3+ HD. Your DM might let them take flaws.

they get alertness, but I wasn't aware Improved familiar granted feats.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rickshaw View Post
    If your improved familiar has a multiple of 3 hit die, it has multiple feats.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Veyr View Post
    As for why they chose to make it this way, I believe they felt Familiars were supposed to be more of a "pet" than "companion" the way Animal Companions or Special Mounts are. For Psicrystals, it seems they decided that Familiars were a bit too useless, plus you needed to spend a feat on Psicrystal Affinity, so they made Psicrystals a bit better.

That's my take, anyway.
    Pets cause you to lose xp if they die, while a companion leaves people relatively unaffected if it passes away?

If you are going to play a wizard, don't bother with familiars, just get something like abrupt jaunt or some other variant rule. Much more awesome.
    Last edited by HalfDragonCube; 2011-05-02 at 02:32 PM.
    Normal avatar by Qwernt, ponytar by Akrim.elf and squishydoll by Recaiden. Thanks guys!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by giantmudkip View Post
    A pet which cause you to lose xp if dies, while a companion leaves people relatively unaffected?

If you are going to play a wizard, don't bother with familiars, just get something like abrupt jaunt or some other variant rule. Much more awesome.
    A familiar can potentially use tools, so for a skillmonkey, they're quite useful. They're also totally loyal, and quite intelligent.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

All about proper utilization of the tools you have in front of you.

Or a +4 to initiative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rickshaw View Post
    You get Alertness, not your familiar.

All creatures get 1 feat, +1 per three levels. Thus a 1HD familiar has one feat, and a 3HD familiar has two. The only way to get a familiar with 3+ HD is Improved Familiar or a similar feat.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-05-02 at 06:29 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Familiars don't gain feats because they don't gain HD because they weren't designed as primary combatants. Animal Companions gain HD because they are primary combatants, and thus are required to gain feats.

Psicrystals, like familiars, are treated as having the hit dice of their master for various effects. Unlike familiars, psicrystals don't make sense without a manifester attached, so they don't have the "base animal" statblocks that familiars do. Since they don't have a base number of hit dice, their statblock simply lists them as having hit dice equal to their master's, in order to be consistent with familiars. In this case, however, this actually gives them real hit dice, since there is no independent way to find how many hit dice they have. And anything that gains hit dice gains feats.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Psicrystals, like familiars, are treated as having the hit dice of their master for various effects. Unlike familiars, psicrystals don't make sense without a manifester attached, so they don't have the "base animal" statblocks that familiars do. Since they don't have a base number of hit dice, their statblock simply lists them as having hit dice equal to their master's, in order to be consistent with familiars. In this case, however, this actually gives them real hit dice, since there is no independent way to find how many hit dice they have. And anything that gains hit dice gains feats.
    Was this intended? Maybe not.

Is this too strong? Well, there's no rule saying no one can have nicer toys than full casters.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Is this too strong? Well, there's no rule saying no one can have nicer toys than full casters.
    Only the toymaker gets nicer toys than the full casters.

Artificers are the toymaker.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):