New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Swords for kids!

My 5 (now 6) and 3 year old enjoy fighting Daddy with these.

https://www.amazon.com/Beginner-Book.../dp/1942006012

The book has a lot of detailed instructions. In general, most of the simple weapons are made by taking 3/4" PVC pipe and 3/4" pipe insulation (available @ Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.), and then wrapping them with duct tape to hold everything together. The initial weapons made in early January are still going strong and have not needed any repairs yet. My oldest can hit pretty hard.

They each have a short sword (overall length about 18-24", sized so they can two-hand the grip) and a shield. I run a shorter sword with a crossguard and a dagger with no crossguard. This week, I made a flail (8" handle, 10-12" head), with about 4" of 550 cord between them. The flail is hard to defend with, and is best paired with a shield.

Fighting hobbit-sized people is hard. They can cut lower than I can guard, and over half my hitting range is simply too high to matter.

Great "quarantine" activity if you're stuck nearly at home and have the time and space. Cheap to build. Fun. Pairs well with Youtube videos on how to use swords, shields, and related history if you're doing homeschooling.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Swords for kids!

You might want to look into this when you get some time (and the quarantine is over)
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I did whalebone for years as a kid and then a teen. Personally I would opt out of pvc for kids that age, its possible.to really hurt each other (broken limbs happened.)

What I did for my nephew when I started with him was took the bottom half of a fish pole and wrapped it in duct tape to keep it from splintering, then added insulation and tape on top of it. It is more solid than boffers (a pool noodle with a handle basically) are so it is more like a sword, but too light to impart much energy and has more give.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The PVC is covered by the foam. All good.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    The PVC is covered by the foam. All good.
    That's not really the concern. Like covering a fist with a boxing glove, the pipe is still imparting blunt force on the target. Having been part of several major injuries in this sport, from split lips to broken arms the possibility of injuries is pretty high. The lighter the piping the less momentum it can impart, which is why I suggested wrapped second hand fishing poles.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

For a 5 yo & a 3yo there's always a variety of Nerf swords available by mail.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett