New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default D&D gets Artifacted! [D&D 3.5; PEACH]

So, I was browsing magiccards.info the other day, lookin' for fun artifacts to make into D&D items. I found a great number of them, and decided to run with the idea. Without further ado, here's my first batch of cards-turned-items!

NOTE: These items are all real cards in Magic: the Gathering. I've attempted to stay true to the idea/theme/mechanics of the card, as best I can (some are more flavor-based than mechanics-based, since the mechanics don't always transfer well... Infinite Hourglass, I'm looking at you!)

Further NOTE: They are not priced. I don't price my items, I just eyeball stuff. You wanna price 'em? Have fun! Lemme know what you come up with.

Weapons:
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Banshee Blade: This unique longsword was once the weapon of a widely feared blackguard. It eventually absorbed some of his evil into itself, and managed to survive his downfall. It was lost for a time, only to be refound by powerful evil beings, and then lost again and again, as they met their fate. It’s appearance changed to suit the evil origins of the blade… and it gained new powers appropriate to its form. Now, the blade can consume the souls of those it fells in battle. It functions as a +2 unholy thinuan longsword that casts a death knell effect on any living being it reduces to 0 or less hp on a hit. The effect lasts for 1 minute.

The idea here was a fairly powerful weapon, but nothing amazing. Something fun that evil players would drool over. The material, thinuan, is that soul-trapping stuff from... Comp. Warrior, right?

Spoiler
    Show
    -Dead-Iron Sledge: This massive two-handed hammer doesn’t have a long involved history, it merely exists. No amount of divination reveals where it sprang from, just that it has existed for an immense period of time, and that each of its wielders has suffered the same end: death, at the head of the Sledge. The Sledge functions as a +4 adamantine maul. On a successful critical hit, the target must make a Fort save (DC 25) or be utterly annihilated. If the target fails their save, the wielder must make a Fort save as well (DC 35) or join their fate.

Yeah, so, this one is just something fun for me to play about with. I have no idea who would ever use such a weapon... but I guess that if someone really really REALLY needed to obliterate a badguy, they could use a spell to auto-crit and wipe 'em out? No idea. Just amusing I guess.

Spoiler
    Show
    -Heartseeker: A weapon of death, Heartseeker is soaked in the heartblood of the men it has killed. The blade serves no purpose but to slay cleanly and precisely. One shot, one kill. It was the work of a famed assassin who tired of the sight of blood, and so created a weapon of such precision that blood would no longer be a factor. The weapon worked even better than he had hoped, and he found his own end on the point of the blade, when a rival stole it. Heartseeker is a +1 keen rapier of speed. When used to strike an opponent who is flat-footed and a critical is confirmed, Heartseeker automatically kills the target (Fort save equal to the damage dealt). This is a death effect, and only creatures that can be snuck attacked are vulnerable to it.

This actually was a weapon I've been wanting to update to D&D for a long time. I always thought that a master assassin would have a blade like this, but I never found one in 3.5 as things stand. I figured that a powerful weapon like this would be pretty scary stuff, fitting for a ghostly killer. I'm a touch concerned about the power level. I might give the ability a save (ramped up Death Attack DC maybe?). Thoughts?

Spoiler
    Show
    -Nightmare Lash: A powerful multi-tailed whip, the Lash can dish out a massive amount of pain to any living being that it strikes. Once wielded by a Balor Lord of immense and terrible power, the Lash was spirited away when the Balor fell on a fiendish battlefield. Since then, it has cropped up in a number of places, only to vanish moments later. The Nightmare Lash is a unique exotic weapon, a three-tailed whip. It deals 1d12 damage (lethal), crits on a 19-20 and deals x3 damage. The Lash is a +1 vicious three-tailed whip of wounding that deals one negative level on a critical hit (Fort DC 20 to resist).

I've always liked the image of a multi-tailed whip, but haven't found a mechanism for them I liked, so I made my own. Note that the Lash DOES require a feat to use properly. I might make it better, to accommodate a character that is willing to take Exotic Weap Prof (three-tailed whip). Maybe shift the neg. level to every hit?

Spoiler
    Show
    -Scythe of the Wretched: Patterned after the famed Grim Reaper’s Scythe, blade of the psychopomp of legend, the Scythe is a mighty magic blade in it’s own right, with a great tie to the forces of necromancy and death. The Scythe of the Wretched functions as a +1 consumptive great cleaving scythe. When the weapon kills a living creature, that creature must make a Fort save (DC 20) or rise as a zombie under the control of the wielder (max HD controllable are equal to the wielders own HD; these undead do not count against the controllers normal control limit).

Ok... this one took me FOREVER to nail down to something that fit the card, the feel, and wasn't game-breakingly powerful. I think I've got a powerful tool here, but nothing that is "OMG, game over man, game over!!" level strong.

Spoiler
    Show
    -Tatsumasa, the Dragon’s Fang: Carved from a great wyrm blue dragon’s tooth, this beautiful katana is a powerful link to elemental lightning, and blue dragonkind. Tatsumasa is a +1 shocking burst keen katana. It, however, has a unique power. Tatsumasa was the name of the dragon the blade is made from, and the tooth was used to slay the dragon itself. Due to this, the blade absorbed the soul of the dragon, and can channel it, becoming the spirit of the dragon Tatsumasa for a short period of time. This power may be invoked 1/week, and lasts for 1 minute (10 rounds). Stats are below.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tatsumasa, the Soul of the Dragon's Fang (TN male ghostly adult blue dragon)
    Huge undead (earth, incorporeal)
    HD 21d12+42
    HP 188
    AC: 13 or 33 (10-2 size+20 natural [ethereal encounters only]+5 deflection)
    Speed: fly 150 ft (perfect)
    Str 27 Dex 10 Con 21 Int 16 Wis 17 Cha 20
    Attacks: as normal, or +21 incorporeal touch
    Damage: 1d4 Str and Con damage+2 negative levels (incorporeal touch)
    SA: breath weapon (line of lightning 12d8 electric Ref DC 25 half; and cone of mist 6 Str/Dex/Com drain Fort DC 25 neg); manifestation; frightful presence (Will DC 23 neg)
    SQ: Imm electricity; create/destroy water 3/day; sound imitation (Will DC 23 neg); DR 5/magic; ventriloquism 3/day; rejuvenation; turn resistance +4; undead traits
    Spells: as a Sorcerer 5

Tatsumasa was... a challenge. It's nearly an artifact-level weapon (in my opinion anyways), and so I was very very VERY concerned about balancing it. I actually matched it to the Sword of Kas, judging it better in some ways, worse in others. Kas is better most of the time, since it always works. Tatsumasa turns into a CR 14 monster though, so for that 1 minute, it's pretty crazy. Also, the dragon block isn't complete (feats/skills, I know), but it has everything it really needs for that 1 minute/week. Thoughts?

Artifacts (pun unintended >_<):
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Worldslayer: An artifact of unimaginable might and terror, the Worldslayer is a simple, polished blade of gleaming steel. The blade never tarnishes, even when it unleashes unbelievable forces of destruction. The Worldslayer is a +3 proficient longsword. When it successfully deals hit point damage to a living creature, it’s hidden power is triggered. A vengeful gaze of god spell is activated, but it affects everything within 100 ft of the caster with 305d6 damage (no save, no resistance, no SR). The caster suffers 200d6 damage (no save, no resistance, no SR). Anything destroyed/killed by this damage is forever beyond the reach of mortals to return to life.

This... is a Magical MacGuffin Item(tm). Mostly, I wanted to see what it would look like as a D&D item. Answer: insane. If anyone has any alternatives for Worldslayer, please, lemme know, esp anything to make it usable in a game.

Spoiler
    Show

Misc. Items:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bloodletter Quill: This strange device was created to be a writing aid… but due to an unfortunate mistake during the objects creation involving a pint of blood and an ink quill, it doesn’t work quite as intended. The Bloodletter Quill has a handful of useful powers, but they must be activated by the user willingly giving their blood. The Quill requires 1 oz of blood to use any ability. Drawing this from the user deals them 1 points of Con damage. This Con damage lasts for 1 day, and cannot be healed by any method. The Quill can cast symbol of pain, symbol of fear, and symbol of sleep once a day each (CL 10th, DC 20 where applicable). The bearer of the Quill is always immune to the effects.

I always thought this was a pretty neat item for D&D. I finally settled on the weaker symbol spells as good candidates for the Quill to use, seeing as most people never use them, and I wanted to give them their time in the sun, so to speak.

Spoiler
    Show
    -Spellbinder: A very special device, a spellbinder bears some similarity to more conventional wands. However, they have one major difference: whereas a normal wand has a single spell that never changes, a spellbinder can hold one spell… but it can be changed as often as the wielder likes. A spellbinder works just like any wand, and is treated as one for all intents and purposes. However, any spellcaster may in a one hour long ritual replace the spell currently in the device with one they have prepared/known. This does not replenish the charges of the spellbinder, and in fact consumes one to power the transfer. The spell or spell slot is expended from the casters memory, and the wand uses the casters CL for the spell.

Ok... my wording here is painful. Basically, a spellbinder is a wand in all ways, just that you can change the spell by casting something else into it. You replace whatever is in it currently, and consume one charge. I figured it was a neat enough concept.

More to come (when I'm not bleeding sleepy)! Enjoy, comment, tear apart!
    Last edited by arguskos; 2009-03-14 at 04:51 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: D&D gets Artifacted! [D&D 3.5; PEACH]

*cricket* Anyone? Anyone? Bueler? Bueler? Bueler?

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

*Extra Large thumbs up*

I'd have to say I really like your interpretations...granted, it's kinda hard to do true recreations of some of them, however, you've done a fine job, and I look forward to seeing more (I may even pitch in after a while)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Bah, lack of comments is . Well, I'll post some most stuff. Anyways, onto some more content!

Misc. Items:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Infinite Hourglass: An interesting device, this hourglass has no sand in it when first discovered. To power the item, one end of the glass must be filled with simple white sand. When then flipped, causing the sand to flow from one end to the other, it's power becomes obvious. An infinite hourglass slows time's passage, turning one hour (the length it takes for the sand to flow from the top to the bottom) into one day. While active, a 20-ft sphere around the hourglass is affected by this extreme time dilation. It is impossible to discern the pocket from the outside, and nothing can pass the barrier between "normal" time and the hourglass pocket. An infinite hourglass functions once per year, as time resents being played with in such a fashion and resists.

This item is something I can see being useful for a few reasons. It's something players would totally love to get their hands on, and I'm certain people can come up with lots of things to do with a free day skip into the future.

On that note...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time Vault: Said to be a focal point for time itself, a time vault is a potent item. Large and stationary, time vaults continuously produce a brilliant white sand that trickles from the top of the vault straight down into the inky blackness of the well. This sand can be captured with ease and functions as normal sand in all ways. However, it is greatly magical, and has a number of magical applications. First and foremost, one ounce can be used to duplicate any spell or power that involves temporal manipulation (such as Celerity, Time Stop, Haste, Temporal Acceleration, etc). Using it in such a manner affects the spell as by the Extend Spell metamagic (if applicable; if not, such a use does nothing). Second, the sand may be used to fill an infinite hourglass. If used in this manner, the sand doubles the length of the time-skip effect of the hourglass (eg. one hour becomes two days). Finally, the sand may also be consumed. One ounce of the sand may be eaten as a standard action. The consumer benefits from a haste spell and a moment of prescience spell (CL 20th) for 24 hours.

Of course, time is resistant to attempts to abuse it, and a time vault is no exception. One individual may only gather one ounce of timesand in any given year, and only one ounce may be gathered per day. This is enough sand to produce any of the above effects (for the hourglass, it is simply mixed in with some standard sand, and placed into the hourglass as normal). Once 1000 ounces of timesand have been gathered from a single vault, the vault ceases to produce timesand forever, since time has forsaken it. This places the time vault into permanent temporal stasis.

Ok... so, this monster is finally done. *whew* As you can probably tell, I wanted the Time Vault to be a magical location/item, so I tossed in that bit about the sand being exhausted, since it seemed like a fairly interesting plot idea (Oh no, the timesand is about to run out! Powerful warlords/wizards are fighting over it! Go save it!).

EDIT: Yay! Someone likes them! Also, here's a list of the ones that I have on my list to make (so leave me these ones ):
    -Delif's Cube
    -Gauntlet of Power
    -Gauntlet of Chaos
    -Mindlock Orb
    -Nevinyrral's Disk
    -Scepter of Dominance
    -Scepter of Fugue
    -Scepter of Insight
    -Spellweaver Helix
    Last edited by arguskos; 2009-03-14 at 04:43 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

I really like the Worldslayer, myself. It IS insane, which fits completely, I think. It's a major artifact, after all. The sort of thing that entire campaigns are based around.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I wouldn't change the Worldslayer. It's operates exactly as it should. As for how it can be used in the game, I can't see it as a PC weapon, but can you imagine a necromancer who leaves a beefed-up skeleton armed with this thing guarding some strategic location?

7. - Top - End - #7

I like Spellbinder and Scythe of the Wretched a lot, although the Scythe isn't all that powerful, anything that is a CO zombie will make it's fort save. It has a nice flavor though (Raspberry I think).
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Don't be offended arguskos this is more of a viewing sight.

But, they seem pretty cool. I'm terrible at pricing items as well. I often stick with the boring old standards.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Yay! People likes my stuffz! Yay!

As for the Worldslayer, yeah, it was pretty much meant to be the Magical MacGuffin Weapon(tm). It doesn't really do much else (though, I can only imagine the party trying to get something that a warrior with the Worldslayer is guarding... since they can't be hit by it because it will destroy the other MacGuffin they need!!).

Any thoughts on the other items?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

for the time vault, is there a save for the temporal stasis effect? i can see it as a great way to dispose of / store anything you want for eternity. throw something in and it is bassically gone forever

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The Banshee Blade should specify that the soul is also bonded to the weapon if the being dies from the Death Knell effect.

I agree that the Heartseeker should allow a save. It should also only have this ability function if the wielder is able to do sneak attack damage. Maybe a save DC equal to the damage dealt?

The Scythe of the Wretched should probably specify that the undead created in this way are counted separately from your normal pool of controlled undead. Also, it shouldn't have the fortitude save since it already only effects beings that have been killed by it.

Thinking about your version of Bloodletter Quill, here's another version which is a bit closer to the original:

Bloodletter Quill The Bloodletter Quill starts with zero blood points. Any effect that would reduce the number of blood points to less than zero instead reduces it to zero. Anyone who prepares arcane spells can can use the Quill in any of the following three ways:

1) Once daily, as a full-round action, the user can gain an extra copy of one prepared arcane spell they have studied in a spellbook in the last month. The spell must be of a level they can cast and must be a spell they otherwise would be able to cast (so for example, this does not allow a wizard to cast spells off their class list or from a prohibited school). Using this ability requires the user to drain blood into the quill dealing constitution damage equal to twice the level of the spell gained + the number of blood points in the Quill (treat cantrips as of level 1/2). Constitution damage dealt this way cannot be healed by any magic and must be healed by normal rest. Any effect that would prevent or reduce constitution damage prevents this ability from functioning. Use of this ability increases the number of blood points in the Quill by 1.

2) Once daily, as a full round action, a user may sacrifice a spell slot or
    prepared spell of at least 2nd level and remove blood points equal to the spell/2. For example, a 2nd or 3rd level spell would remove 1 blood point, a 4th or 5th level spell would remove 2 blood points and so on.

3) Once daily as a free action, a user may may sacrifice a prepared arcane spell of at least first level from the necromancy school and a prepared arcane spell from the abjuration or divination school. The user then removes from the Quill blood points equal to the lower level of the two spells removed.

This version is closer to the original since gaining a spell from a spellbook is similar to drawing a card. Given the heavy constitution damage I think this is balanced.

I don't know enough about pricing items to help you out with that.

Edit: Changed "abjuration" to "abjuration or divination" to be closer in keeping with what blue mana is used for.
    Last edited by JoshuaZ; 2009-03-14 at 03:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

well...some random thoughts:

I'd say the heartseeker should be a dagger. It should also definitely have a save attached. Maybe base it off of finger of death?

The infinite hourglass should give some form of benefit to anyone who stays inside of the time-extended area. Also, can you see inside/outside of the bubble?

Something note (somehow) the worldslayer should also affect things with SR/spell immunity....unless you specifically want a golem wielding it...

How is the timevault, a 'focalpoint of time itself', yet is abusing time...?

how about giving the bloodletter quill some benefits when using it to write in a spellbook or make scrolls?

I'd say the Nightmare Lash should give +1 to hit for each negative level it has bestowed...given some upward limit, and some maximum duration.

That's all for now...but I'll be back later.

EDIT: slightly ninja-ed because of long delay between writing post and submitting post...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MageSparrowhawk View Post
    how about giving the bloodletter quill some benefits when using it to write in a spellbook or make scrolls?
    Maybe reduce the gp cost at the cost of con damage? Or maybe allow you to write an extra spell in a spellbook daily at the cost of con damage?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by h2doh View Post
    for the time vault, is there a save for the temporal stasis effect? i can see it as a great way to dispose of / store anything you want for eternity. throw something in and it is bassically gone forever
    No, but the sand has to be exhausted first, which takes awhile to do. 1000 doses isn't the smallest number ever. I also added a provision that only one ounce can be gathered per day, to prevent players from gathering 1000 people, and nicking the whole damn thing at once.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    The Banshee Blade should specify that the soul is also bonded to the weapon if the being dies from the Death Knell effect.
    Actually, the material, thinuan, already does that. I just didn't feel the need to reiterate it.

I agree that the Heartseeker should allow a save. It should also only have this ability function if the wielder is able to do sneak attack damage. Maybe a save DC equal to the damage dealt?
    I'm... still on the fence about a save. I guess I could add one. As for the sneak attack damage that's implied through the "target is flat-footed to you". I'll add a save=damage dealt.

The Scythe of the Wretched should probably specify that the undead created in this way are counted separately from your normal pool of controlled undead. Also, it shouldn't have the fortitude save since it already only effects beings that have been killed by it.
    Damn! Good catch about the undead! As for the Fort save, I represented it as the soul's last chance to fight off the reanimation effect. Figured it was only fair to grant one final save.

Thinking about your version of Bloodletter Quill, here's another version which is a bit closer to the original:

Bloodletter Quill The Bloodletter Quill starts with zero blood points. Any effect that would reduce the number of blood points to less than zero instead reduces it to zero. Anyone who prepares arcane spells can can use the Quill in any of the following three ways:

1) Once daily, as a full-round action, the user can gain an extra copy of one prepared arcane spell they have studied in a spellbook in the last month. The spell must be of a level they can cast and must be a spell they otherwise would be able to cast (so for example, this does not allow a wizard to cast spells off their class list or from a prohibited school). Using this ability requires the user to drain blood into the quill dealing constitution damage equal to twice the level of the spell gained + the number of blood points in the Quill (treat cantrips as of level 1/2). Constitution damage dealt this way cannot be healed by any magic and must be healed by normal rest. Any effect that would prevent or reduce constitution damage prevents this ability from functioning. Use of this ability increases the number of blood points in the Quill by 1.

2) Once daily, as a full round action, a user may sacrifice a spell slot or
    prepared spell of at least 2nd level and remove blood points equal to the spell/2. For example, a 2nd or 3rd level spell would remove 1 blood point, a 4th or 5th level spell would remove 2 blood points and so on.

3) Once daily as a free action, a user may may sacrifice a prepared arcane spell of at least first level from the necromancy school and a prepared arcane spell from the abjuration or divination school. The user then removes from the Quill blood points equal to the lower level of the two spells removed.

This version is closer to the original since gaining a spell from a spellbook is similar to drawing a card. Given the heavy constitution damage I think this is balanced.
    Honestly, I love this. May I replace mine with yours (credit noted, of course)?

Quote Originally Posted by MageSparrowhawk View Post
    well...some random thoughts:

I'd say the heartseeker should be a dagger. It should also definitely have a save attached. Maybe base it off of finger of death?
    I like it as a rapier, just for the visceral image of it piercing all the way through the target's heart. Daggers just don't have that imagery in my mind. Also, already added the save. 'S all good.

The infinite hourglass should give some form of benefit to anyone who stays inside of the time-extended area. Also, can you see inside/outside of the bubble?
    I'm unwilling to add anything to the hourglass, since it's something I think that players can use in clever ways. I may add a line about being able to reprepare spells in that hour though, so it can be a hyper-accelerated rest, if need be. Oh, and you can see from the bubble out... not like that matters much (the world is moving at hyper-speed, after all).

Something note (somehow) the worldslayer should also affect things with SR/spell immunity....unless you specifically want a golem wielding it...
    I'll make this note. Good catch, thanks.

How is the timevault, a 'focalpoint of time itself', yet is abusing time...?
    The Vault itself isn't. Using the timesand is. See, the vault is one focal point for timesand, which is what governs the flow of time in the world (note that there are many time vaults, on all planes), so stealing that timesand is degrading and abusing time itself.

Talk to JoshuaZ about that.

I'd say the Nightmare Lash should give +1 to hit for each negative level it has bestowed...given some upward limit, and some maximum duration.
    I like it. +1 hit/damage per negative level bestowed in the last 24 hours (benefits last 24 hours). Sound alright?

That's all for now...but I'll be back later.
    Thanks, and can't wait to see your thoughts!

Hey all, thanks so much for your help! It's greatly appreciated! I'll return later to write up some more from that list up there.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post

Damn! Good catch about the undead! As for the Fort save, I represented it as the soul's last chance to fight off the reanimation effect. Figured it was only fair to grant one final save.
    In that case, maybe it should be a will save? Most of the time a soul is doing the resisting it seems to involve will saves (see for example Speak with Dead)

Honestly, I love this. May I replace mine with yours (credit noted, of course)?
    Sure.

16. - Top - End - #16

Heartseeker should definitely be a dagger. The flavor of it in the Magic card, with the whole unattaching deal, is that the creature throws the dagger to destroy a creature. It should also only have its lethal effect when thrown, so that it can SEEK the HEART by its own will instead of your guiding hand.

To make Dead-Iron Sledge usable, just give it that property which deals damage to both of you, instead of killing both of you. Adjust damage amount based on desired power level.

If you're going to make Worldslayer a major artifact MacGuffin, you might as well go all the way. Have it SLAY the WORLD if it hits the world at a specific point, probably near the core. That seems better to me than arbitrary damage in an arbitrary radius from an arbitrary trigger. Remember that, in the card, it's actually destroying all of those lands, which represent large islands, mountain ranges, etc. Also makes the weapon more epic and plot-driven.

...I'm sure you realize that Infinite Hourglass, as you wrote it, has nothing to do with the card? How about causing it to quicken time's passage instead of slowing it? The effect of the Magic card is to waste away the toughness of creatures, even if it takes it from the opposite direction. So you could replicate this by stripping years of life.

Nightmare Lash has nothing to do with its card either. You should have it deal extra damage equal to (the level of spells you can cast)d6. A balor can cast ninth level spells so it would deal 9d6 extra damage for him. As well, it should cost you Constitution damage each time it deals its extra damage, unless you are a balor.

I'm looking forward to see you implement the Kadra items. I've always wanted set items to work in D&D but they don't, because the DM basically dictates if they get the set items or not, and if he doesn't, then they won't. So they're either too powerful or not powerful enough. And if the DM just grants all of them then it's too gimmicky.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Wouldn't the Rod of Seven Parts be close enough to a set item for comparison purposes as to the viability of set items? I guess you kinda have to build the adventure/campaign around the set to a certain extent...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpoo22 View Post
    Heartseeker should definitely be a dagger. The flavor of it in the Magic card, with the whole unattaching deal, is that the creature throws the dagger to destroy a creature. It should also only have its lethal effect when thrown, so that it can SEEK the HEART by its own will instead of your guiding hand.

To make Dead-Iron Sledge usable, just give it that property which deals damage to both of you, instead of killing both of you. Adjust damage amount based on desired power level.

If you're going to make Worldslayer a major artifact MacGuffin, you might as well go all the way. Have it SLAY the WORLD if it hits the world at a specific point, probably near the core. That seems better to me than arbitrary damage in an arbitrary radius from an arbitrary trigger. Remember that, in the card, it's actually destroying all of those lands, which represent large islands, mountain ranges, etc. Also makes the weapon more epic and plot-driven.

...I'm sure you realize that Infinite Hourglass, as you wrote it, has nothing to do with the card? How about causing it to quicken time's passage instead of slowing it? The effect of the Magic card is to waste away the toughness of creatures, even if it takes it from the opposite direction. So you could replicate this by stripping years of life.

Nightmare Lash has nothing to do with its card either. You should have it deal extra damage equal to (the level of spells you can cast)d6. A balor can cast ninth level spells so it would deal 9d6 extra damage for him. As well, it should cost you Constitution damage each time it deals its extra damage, unless you are a balor.

I'm looking forward to see you implement the Kadra items. I've always wanted set items to work in D&D but they don't, because the DM basically dictates if they get the set items or not, and if he doesn't, then they won't. So they're either too powerful or not powerful enough. And if the DM just grants all of them then it's too gimmicky.
    Dayum!! I have no idea what happened, but I guess I just forgot this thread existed. Many apologies!! (Also, forgive my necro-ing of my own thread, but this IS homebrew, so I figured it's alright)

Heartseeker: I liked the idea of it as a rapier that seeks the heart in hand, but I can see your point. I'm leaving it as it is (I prefer it to a thrown dagger), but it's a good point. As a thrown weapon, it'd be a +1 returning dagger with the death attack bit.

Sledge: Good idea.

Worldslayer: As a rebuttal of your point, look at the art of the card. There's still stuff around the weapon, it just slew everything. I wanted it to be a weapon that wasn't world-shattering, just REALLY scary. I see what you are saying, but I wanted something that I could actually produce stats for. Just saying "If broken on the Cornerstone of the World, this weapon ends the whole planet" isn't really useful. >_>

Hourglass: I know. Here's what I said in my first post:
    Quote Originally Posted by myself
    NOTE: These items are all real cards in Magic: the Gathering. I've attempted to stay true to the idea/theme/mechanics of the card, as best I can (some are more flavor-based than mechanics-based, since the mechanics don't always transfer well... Infinite Hourglass, I'm looking at you!)
    I like the flavor of the card, not the mechanics. So I ran with that.

Lash: Same deal here. Also, why balors? Just because of Lord of the Rings (the film version)?

As for the Kaldra pieces, I won't bother with the stats, I'll just toss out that the way I planned to involve them all in the story was that if the players acquired one, it would slowly attempt to dominate it's wielder, and if it does, the item will drive the character to acquire the other pieces.

Basically, it's like an intelligent item, but w/o ACTUALLY being intelligent. It's a proto-sentience that has no goals or thought but to reunite Kaldra, and reform the avatar. Once THAT happens... who knows what could happen?

Sorry for letting this thread die guys, I guess I got too busy. Maybe I'll come back to this sometime soon. I might not though.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, Tatsumasa is amazing! I'm going to try ot include that omehow in my campaign!

I just hope my player doesn't set it on fire somehow. Which reminds me, I didn't tell you how he beat that cave full of monsterous spiders. xD

Worldslayer is unusable but hilarious. xD

The quill is really cool, you can use the quill to scribe the symbols. :3

Spellbinder sounds like a very powerful quality, what happens if you buy a cheap low level wand and replace it with a higher level spell?

The Infinite Hourglass souds incredible. xD
    You get ot the BBEG, tired and low on spells, hit him with a few lasting effects then turn the glass over and your party rests, heals and prepares new spells.

The timesand is coooool! I might find a way to use that!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Well, this is a really good work! The only thing I'd change is Tatsumasa: I think that a +1 enchantement isn't enough for the sword as it is presented in the game, I'd suggest a +3 one...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nice!
    Personally, though, I'd say that the Time Vault shouldn't be destroyed by running out of sand. It looks like it should be a major artifact to me (possibly the object responsible for the flow of time on a given plane), so destroying it should only be possible through a dramatic means (the worldslayer, maybe?), rather than by deliberate overuse or simple ignorance of its properties.
    I'd suggest making the limitation on its use one of these:
    *Each use of time sand ages the user by 1d20+10 years.
    *Carrying time sand draws the attention of Khroneruts (new type of Inevitable).
    *Time sand tends to contaminate spell components, causing a 10% chance of subjecting anyone carrying it to a temporal stasis effect when casting a spell with a material component.
    *Time around the sand is subject to sudden shifts, as though the area had the erratic time planar attribute.
    ...and to balance the seriousness of anything I might have said: boingo boingo whoopsy knickers.(Apologies to B. Croshaw)
    My homebrews:
    The Xeromancer [PrC], The Gamer [Monster] (Monster Contest XXXII Winner)The Sworn [Base Class]...and various things scattered around the forums I can't be bothered to track down again.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Darkmind View Post
    Well, this is a really good work! The only thing I'd change is Tatsumasa: I think that a +1 enchantement isn't enough for the sword as it is presented in the game, I'd suggest a +3 one...
    Thanks! I tend to keep weapons at +1 plus some abilities, thus the lack of it being a +3. Besides, Tatsumasa's real trick is becoming a ghostly dragon for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by sidhe3141 View Post
    Nice!
    Personally, though, I'd say that the Time Vault shouldn't be destroyed by running out of sand. It looks like it should be a major artifact to me (possibly the object responsible for the flow of time on a given plane), so destroying it should only be possible through a dramatic means (the worldslayer, maybe?), rather than by deliberate overuse or simple ignorance of its properties.
    I'd suggest making the limitation on its use one of these:
    *Each use of time sand ages the user by 1d20+10 years.
    *Carrying time sand draws the attention of Khroneruts (new type of Inevitable).
    *Time sand tends to contaminate spell components, causing a 10% chance of subjecting anyone carrying it to a temporal stasis effect when casting a spell with a material component.
    *Time around the sand is subject to sudden shifts, as though the area had the erratic time planar attribute.
    Well, I meant for there to be multiple Vaults, so when any given Vault runs out of sand, it's locked down via temporal stasis. I can see there being a "master Time Vault" though, that works like you mentioned. In fact, that's an interesting campaign idea...

Here, since people still seem to be reading this, I'll actually draw up the Kaldra pieces correctly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Helm of Kaldra: This simple helmet fits snugly over the head of any Medium sized humanoid creature. While worn, the Helm grants the wearer increased sight, faster reflexes, and enhanced attack power. The wearer is under the effect of a true seeing spell constantly while the Helm is worn. Further, they can use a greater celerity spell three times per day. Finally, the Helm allows the wielder to make a single extra attack at their highest base attack bonus on a full attack.

Shield of Kaldra: This +5 heavy fortification time buttress adamantine tower shield radiates an air of invulnerability. In fact, while grasped, the Shield itself is completely immune to damage of all kinds. Further, if the Shield is possessed by the same creature as the Helm and/or the Sword, they are all totally invulnerable to harm by any known magic, mortal or divine.

Sword of Kaldra: This +5 keen vorpal enervating bastard sword is a brutally powerful weapon. In addition to it's enhancements, it has two further powers. First, when paired with the Shield, it ignores the typical attack penalties for attacking while holding a tower shield. Second, any creature the Sword reduces to 0 hp or less is automatically disintegrated (no save).

The Kaldra Curse: If a single creature discovers any of the Kaldra pieces, and possesses it for more than one day, the Kaldra Curse comes out. The item will attempt to dominate it's wielder once per day (Will save, DC 20+1 per successful save) until successful. Once the wielder is dominated, the item will instruct them to seek out the other items. Each day, the wielder gets a new save to resist the effects of the domination. Once all the items have been collected by one creature, the wielder is automatically slain, their soul sucked into the Kaldra pieces to fuel the rebirth of Kaldra itself, though no sages know what this being might be.

The secondary part of the Curse is as follows: should the wielder be wise enough to discard the item after resisting it's effects, he finds that it is not so easy to be rid of. Once an item has been rebuffed, it will magically tail the wielder around. For example, when the wielder enters a shop, the item is there, on a shelf, waiting for him. If he slays a dragon, the item is in it's hoard, and so on. This continues until the wielder either relents, manages to destroy the item, or dies.