New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1468
  1. - Top - End - #1321

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Maybe it was your suit that got turned into Captain Morgan?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Morgan

My suit was turned into rum?!
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    That's because the battleship belonged to Unified Sectoid Resistance. We didn't fight it.
    Wait, we are not opposed to the Unified Sectoid Stellar Resistance?
    Wow, BRC's influence upon our command staff is stronger than I thought...

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Morgan

My suit was turned into rum?!
    Maybe this post provides some clarification...
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-07-30 at 08:29 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Bugbear in the Playground

That's because the battleship belonged to Unified Sectoid Resistance. We didn't fight it.
    I'm kind of surprised they didn't start that resistance earlier in the fighting. I mean, one time in mine, the poor guys ended up filing out of the top floor of a battleship one by one into reaction/action laser shots of my guys that were standing around, waiting for the HWP to hunt down the last alien outside. (The bugger kept running.)
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

4. - Top - End - #1324

Maybe this post provides some clarification...
    Sure, laugh at my lack of attention span. But thanks for the clarification. Although I'd have preferred a rum suit.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

5. - Top - End - #1325

And it's just a coincidence that they're now building a shrine to you while showering you with exotic gifts and cloning some babes to massage you, rig...

ALL HAIL THE TENGU_TEMP!

6. - Top - End - #1326

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    ALL HAIL THE TENGU_TEMP!
    I seriously don't get why people keep doing this. Am I missing something?

Anyway, just wanted to tell you guys that the person who writes Nerf NOW!!! just said that he'd wanted to do an X-Com comic, so I felt the need to link him here.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Colossus in the Playground

Tengu Temp had a natural psionic strenght of 100.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Titan in the Playground

I don't get it either. It surely can't be related to me having 100 Psi Strength, aka being at the peak of human psionic potential. I think they're just being friendly.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2009-07-30 at 08:52 AM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, laugh at my lack of attention span. But thanks for the clarification. Although I'd have preferred a rum suit.
    Hey, I'd never do that. Just explaining a, maybe overly obscure, joke I made, t'is all.

Also, I totally understand.

It's because Tengu turned out to be our most powerful psychic, easily capable of dominating the mind of any other human being. He is one of our most powerful weapons, but also one of our biggest menaces - for who is to say that after we have taken care of Cydonia he will not turn his awesome mental powers against the human race, enslave us an---- of course Tengu would never do such an evil thing. Tengu is much too awesome for that. What a guy. I love me so. I mean him.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you guys that the person who writes Nerf NOW!!! just said that he'd wanted to do an X-Com comic, so I felt the need to link him here.
    You seem to have forgotten to post the link itself though.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-07-30 at 08:55 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

10. - Top - End - #1330

It's because Tengu turned out to be our most powerful psychic, easily capable of dominating the mind of any other human being. He is one of our most powerful weapons, but also one of our biggest menaces - for who is to say that after we have taken care of Cydonia he will not turn his awesome mental powers against the human race, enslave us an---- of course Tengu would never do such an evil thing. Tengu is much too awesome for that. What a guy. I love me so. I mean him.
    Silly Winterwind, Tengu would never turn on us, because the commander put a pellet of C4 in his brain stem.

Now Tengu, I wa- ... want to give you a back massage.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1331

Yeah, ok. But then why do I seem to be the only one not affected, huh?

I also need to get the guys in the lab to develop something that allows people to tell sarcasm over the internet.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, ok. But then why do I seem to be the only one not affected, huh?

I also need to get the guys in the lab to develop something that allows people to tell sarcasm over the internet.
    Maybe you possess nothing of value for him, or never incurred his wrath?
    Or maybe you are the Chosen One, the one with the willpower to withstand him! Maybe you are mankind's last best hope for freedom, the one the prophecy foretold!

Heresy! Such an instrument is impossible! It breaks all laws of nature! Burn the witch!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Barbarian in the Playground

Maybe he is affected but Tengu is so damn good that Fiddler doesn't even realize it.
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1334

Maybe you possess nothing of value for him, or never incurred his wrath?
    Or maybe you are the Chosen One, the one with the willpower to withstand him! Maybe you are mankind's last best hope for freedom, the one the prophecy foretold!

Heresy! Such an instrument is impossible! It breaks all laws of nature! Burn the witch!
    Prophecy? Eh.... I'm not a big fan of prophecies.

I'm not a witch. If I were, I would have turned you into a newt. Of course, you could have gotten better...

Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    Maybe he is affected but Tengu is so damn good that Fiddler doesn't even realize it.
    I'd prove this is true by vandalizing that thing they're building for him, but then they'd all kill me.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Troll in the Playground

Yay! Not only was I actually MENTIONED while I was away, now that I'm back I get news that I'm going to Cydonia! Awesome!
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

Default Gunfire is alike all over.

"Right. We're done in LA then. We're heading down to Antartica for an undetected launch, then you won't see ground until Cydonia. We clear?"

Murska spoke up
    "Sort of, sir. That doesn't explain why the bag you picked up in LA is struggling and making 'MPH! MPH!" noises."

"It's for the movie. So, we're clear then. We got flight suits for everyone. Except Copper. You're wearing an old power suit."

I figured we might as well review some things on the way. No sense in leaving anyone in the dark on important mission plans now.

"Right, special orders for the mission. On the surface? Try not to kill any Sectoids you don't need to. Special request from Chumbley. They are technically sort of like people, and only leaders and commanders can radio in distress signals. Besides, someone to give you all practice on the proper use of the psi amp as a subject might be handy. Once we're in, priorities shift. Kill everyone in your way, but try to minimize property damage if you can help it. Some good tech in the central base, and if the central Ethereal empire takes offense at our little cleaning operation, we'll want every edge we can get."

I thought for a moment.

"Also, it's probably safe to let Nathan Fillion out of the bag now."

Kane looked a bit shocked.
    "Wait. You kidnapped an actor? That's what the stop in LA was about? Some stupid autograph hound thing?"

"Of course not. He's starring in the X-COM movie, and I figure he should have some idea of what the work is like."

"You could have just invited him over to the base or something! There was no need to have the LAPD knock him out and stuff him into a bag for the trip to Cydonia!"

"Well, the other thing was plan 'A', but we kind of don't have time for that now. Ethereal fleet's planning an attack on HQ. Now or never, pal."

Of course, Fillion had some questions on getting out of the bag. Silly civvie questions like "Where am I?" "Why?" "Dear lord what is that thing?" and of course, "If those are high explosives, shouldn't you be storing them in a secure locker instead of juggling them?".

Well, answering those questions at least kept the troopers minds off of their all but inevitable demises. And soon enough, we neared Cydonia.

Or what we assumed was Cydonia. Hard to tell through the explosions in orbit.

"I don't know much about this X-COM thingy (other than the fact that it's commanded by a raving maniac) but aren't the UFOs supposed to be shootin' at us, and not, you know, each other?"

Huh. Looked like the Sectoids and Mutons had kept up the rebelling thing they'd promised. Well, it meant the alien's main fleet and the massive anti air batteries were occupied. Which meant we had a shot at actually landing alive.

"Nano, seems some people our buying us time with their lives. Be a shame to disappoint them by dying in orbit. Take us down."

"Aye Aye, Commander."

It was, of course, a bit touch and go for most of it, but we landed safely.

"Alright. We're in. Sheila, you and Lopez start scouting."

"Wait. The tank. Is named. Sheila."
    Fillion. Good actor, but the guy had the dumbest questions.
    "Yes. Now, Jimor, Tengu, BRC..."
    "Wait. Why is there a woman over there without a space suit?"

"That's Slaanesh. Just be glad she's not naked. Anyway, Jimor, Tengu, BRC, mind whammy the sectoids they spot. Should have a clean map soon enough. Fillion, here's the blaster launcher. Aim it at that pyramid over there. It should pack enough of a kick to make an opening for the heavy armor."
    "Wait. You're handing me the high explosives. Rather than the people supposedly trained to do this kind of thing."
    "I let the psychotic AI pilot a tank. I let Copper over there live. Compared to that, giving the guy whose war experience consists of a minor role in 'Saving Private Ryan' fire the gun with the world's easiest to use interface is prefectly reasonable. Just set the waypoints and fire."

"We aren't dead. I am noting a conspicuous absence of perishedness in this craft."

Trazoi responded well enough to that comment.

"Good shooting, rookie. When and if we make it back to a bar alive, drinks are on me."
    He paused for a second.
    "Except Jimor's. Even a captain's salary cuts off well before it can pay that."

Rapture seemed mildly irritated not to get a kill shot. Tough for him.

After a bit of fun with the psi amp, a Sectoid leader, and a live grenade, and a lot of work for those of us (Me, Rapture, Slaanesh, Tengu, BRC, Murska, Kane, and Jimor) at the psi amps, we were ready to head to the apparent transport deeper in the base.
    I went down first, carrying that X-COM flag someone made as a prank a couple months back.

One small step for a man, one giant leap for all future bragging rights. I love this job.

Rapture dealt with a Sectoid that had somehow missed the sweep fairly well.

"Back in the box, insect."

Good to see some enthusiasm for the work.

Kane seemed exited over something. I headed over as quick as I could."
    "Alright! A loaded Hernia Pete!"
    "whosit whatnow?"
    "Just a nickname we Fort Fri boys had for the heavy plasma. Hauling it around tended to give new guys a hernia. Should even the odds a bit."

"Alright. Everybody in?"
    A chorus of yeses, rodgers, one "I don't want to die" and one "Escape will make me God" met my question. Seems we were ready to go.

I hit the switch. And then, everything went black. All that was left was darkness and the new hovertank steadily singing
    "Dur-dur-dur-dur-an-dal.
    Dur-dur-dur-dur-an-dal.
    He ain't no slouch, pal.

Dur-dur-dur-dur-an-dal.
    Dur-dur-dur-dur-an-dal.
    He'll make you ouch, Hal."

It was going to be a long day.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-07-30 at 01:23 PM.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Troll in the Playground

I'll echo what everyone else has said:

It was a great story, and I'm happy that you managed to make it through until the end, despite the inital doubt.

Good luck with the last stage, Tengu!

Oh. And Chiasaur. That should probably apply to you to.
    trill in da playground

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Firbolg in the Playground

I may have pretty much just warmed a bench all game (did I ever actually have a soldier?), but it was an awesome ride. Made me want to drag out my copy of X-Com and start up a new game.

19. - Top - End - #1339

We're nearing the end, but we still have five pages! What to do with the last ones...

When you guys beat the alien scourge, let's have a PARTY!

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Troll in the Playground

It occurs to me I never learnt what any of my stats where. Ah well, I'm living on Earth, relatively safe, and earning free money.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    It occurs to me I never learnt what any of my stats where. Ah well, I'm living on Earth, relatively safe, and earning free money.
    Well, you're a passable soldier, and a fine replacement if need be.

60 psi, 58 accuracy, 60 bravery...

Not bad, all in all.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

22. - Top - End - #1342

Remind me to poison your food. It'll be a mercy compared to where thier shipping you all off to next.

(I of course, will spend the rest of my days locked behind security walls, with a number of HWPs, and I'll be putting the final touches into tuning my 253rd Heavy Plasma by the time anyone should find me. )
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1343

Last edited by Fri; 2009-07-30 at 04:25 PM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

Commander's log.

Presumably August 14th. Time has lost all meaning.

Still trapped in the black. New HWP is still singing.

Well, when it isn't debating philosophy. When it passed into what I presume was the fourth hour, I decided it's doing it to spite me.

I'd assume this is hell, if it wasn't for the blessed lack of Coppers.

Remember a Stephan King story about teleporters. And an Asimov one. Neither one makes my current situation more pleasant.

Humming They Might Be Giants on loop is the only thing keeping me sane.

Somehow, this is Copper's fault.

25. - Top - End - #1345

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    X-Com's theme song.

MUST WATCH FOR ANY X-COM OPERATIVES BY COMMANDER CHIASAUR'S ORDER NO. 34/A/52

Shamelessly stolen from the other epic LP..

...I'm just going to go hide in the Chryssalid containment unit now...

OH GOD THERE'S EVEN A LYRIC SCROLL!

damn you Fri, I'm going to be humming that all evening now...

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Barbarian in the Playground

Might want to put an NSFW there, for:

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bewbs

Also, am I even useful without flying armor?
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1347

A better question is ; are you ever?

Kidding, drr. And of course you are. The aliens need something to shoot at, when it walks through the door first, and we don't want to send the actor.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    Might want to put an NSFW there, for:

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bewbs

Also, am I even useful without flying armor?
    At this point, everyone has Blaster Bombs or Psi Amps. Getting close to the enemy is the HWP's job.

Besides, we're going down to the basement. No airspace to speak of.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    X-Com's theme song.

MUST WATCH FOR ANY X-COM OPERATIVES BY COMMANDER CHIASAUR'S ORDER NO. 34/A/52

Shamelessly stolen from the other epic LP..
    Wow, this... this fits incredibly well.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Banned

Wow, this... this fits incredibly well.
    And it has powered armor too! Which is awesome (and makes the actual movies slightly less bad).