New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: "What Characters should really be called" by Ali S. Fakenamington

469: "Orangina": Random Hobgoblin

477: "Scarface": O-Chul

524: "Miko 2: Electric Bugaloo": Hypothetically Thahn

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

-.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Miko's stupid horse should be in there.
    "When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive." –Malkavian proverb

"From the tiny egg the great wyrm grows." –Kobold proverb

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
    Just noticed your update, and I think that "Herman Munster" actually refers to the Flesh Golem, who (which?) looks just like Herman. My bad for not clarifying the nominations in the previous post.

[Edit˛: Does Blondie count?]
    Didn't really catch that reference until you pointed it out there. Also while briefly rereading that strip I kinda ignored the poor flesh golem
    To Blondie: I think it should count. It is even capitalized (which for me is one clear indication that it is a name).

Both will be amended in the next update (soonish to happen).

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    I wouldn't attribute them to Belkar. Either Elan or (imo better) to Illusory Belkar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Oh, I didn't see the questions about what this thread should include. I'm all for us including places and other character's nicknamings, as long is it is shown who is giving the nicknames.
    Mh, I will keep track of the issue.

Right now I see it as:

Potential new content Pro Contra
    other things than characters 3 0
    names by other characters 2 1

I'm not sure what to do it with it right now (i.e. I don't know when any one side has "won"). I will keep track of things mentioned here (like the Happy Fun Sunshine Land) in my personal file (but not yet(?) in the OP) - so if we decide to change things I don't miss stuff. If you want to share your opinion but do not want to "clutter" the thread, you can also state your opinion by PM to me.

I'm unsure how to organize it in the case we widen the spectrum of this thread. I think I would simple add the places and other stuff into the main table (and rename the Character header - it is already a bit of a stretch with "Vector Legion" and such). If we include names from other characters, I think I would put them into another table (or even multiple tables) - the table in the OP is pretty large already. In fact I ponder if it would be better to split it into multiple tables - but this would massively reduce the usefulness of the sorted table.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #35

I'm not sure I voted on the "add other characters and the names they created" topic, so let me do so Belkar style:

Who cares what those losers say? This is about me AKA the only reason this comic is still remotely funny.

6. - Top - End - #36

As for organizing the table, here's my 2 cents: Reorder columns like this: Name Belkar Uses | Official Name | Instances | Source

Then, instead of adding a new row for every instance of every name, you can just increment the Instances column, and add a new tag to the source.

Name Belkar Uses Official Name Instances Source
    Ears Vaarsuvius 3923 107, 340

That would also make it easier to record all uses of common Belkarnames (e.g. Ears) without cluttering up the table.

What do you say?

7. - Top - End - #37

MindFlayer

Do you think Belkar pronounced "Ali S" with a long A, for the better joke, or with the more conventional short A?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Who cares what those losers say? This is about me AKA the only reason this comic is still remotely funny.
    Noted

As for organizing the table, here's my 2 cents: Reorder columns like this: Name Belkar Uses | Official Name | Instances | Source

Then, instead of adding a new row for every instance of every name, you can just increment the Instances column, and add a new tag to the source.

Name Belkar Uses Official Name Instances Source
    Ears Vaarsuvius 3923 107, 340

That would also make it easier to record all uses of common Belkarnames (e.g. Ears) without cluttering up the table.

What do you say?
    While the idea to group them does sound helpful in the long run (right now I'm hesitant to do so, because we haven't any entry more than three time, and it disrupts the chronological order of the list), I think I might switch to it in the long run.

On the instance thing I'm not sure. While it provides some additional value (i.e. you can sort the table by it), it is information I'm not traking yet (if you mean with instance "times said" - for example in one strip Belkar repeatedly uses Skullsy multiple times.) or it is (imo) misleading and redundant (if it is simple the number of strips). Also I think most of the times (I would assume over 90%) it would be "1" anyway, which doesn't sound that awesome to me.

But I changed my mind from "no way I'm doing this" to "maybe" while writing this post, so I think the chances are quite high that I will actually do it ...
    [And this would also force me to group the entries]

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    Do you think Belkar pronounced "Ali S" with a long A, for the better joke, or with the more conventional short A?
    Never thought about it - I ever pronounced it short (pretty much like the beginning of "alien" - though after thinking about it, I think it should be better pronounced long). But that is also like I would pronounce alias, so I hadn't any problem matching the joke.

[I'm not sure what is "correct". I can only say that from Wiktionary the pronunciation of alien /ˈeɪ.li.ən/ and alias /ˈeɪ.li.əs/ looks similar (and the hearing example from the alien page is short.]

Mh - I don't think I will start to offer any "pronunciation guide" to this thread

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

------------------------------------------
    ¦ 48 ¦ Big dump door-opener ¦ Thog ¦
    ------------------------------------------
    You misspelt 'dumb'.
    -.____________________

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

202 Miko = Ethnocentric bitch.
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0202.html

I can't believe nobody listed that before.
    -.____________________

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

From 244 Belkar calls Roy "woman of my dreams", "baby" (2), "sugar",and "hot piece of ass".

Peelee’s Lotsey

12. - Top - End - #42

323: pointy-heared pissbucket; androgynous twit (Vaarsuvius)
    324: boring stupid elf (Vaarsuvius)
    325: Robespierre (Belkar)
    Ash nazg durbatulűk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulűk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

13. - Top - End - #43

AssassinGuy

On the 326 reference, you typo'd Belkar's name into "Belkarf."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post

The Beast with Two Backs
    Elan and Haley
    Are you sure he means Elan and Haley with "The Beast with Two Backs" and not... you know, something else? :P

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
    Are you sure he means Elan and Haley with "The Beast with Two Backs" and not... you know, something else? :P
    Who else would he be referring to? Roy and V?
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't attribute them to Belkar. Either Elan or (imo better) to Illusory Belkar
    You've included "That Bilbo Tool" which is something that V only speculates that Belkar is thinking. Same thing, really.
    -.____________________

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Fixed some typos (and added the 'new' stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
    This was discussed earlier already.

Spoiler: The relevant quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    That's a standard euphemism for sex, not a personal name for Haley and Elan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    well if were allowing things like "Ambiguously gendered pain in my ass" I don't see how that wouldn't fit the criteria.
    As basically outlined above I personally don't want to open the discussion "is X a name or not". If someone points to something (that hits the bar minimum, i.e. Belkar addressing another character (or group of characters) with something else than their normal name*) I will include it.

Yes, some things probably are a (more or less) big stretch to call names. But first it somewhat matters in context (e.g. why does Durkon get premium top notch names whereas V only gets some kind of random slurs?), second there are some really awesome things that if I'm honest aren't really names (like Sexy shoeless good of war) and lastly I don't really want to spent that much time to figure out whether something is a name or isn't a name. [And I have seen things while searching a bit that I will not include in the list, because I think there don't fit here - but should someone point them out, I will include them.]

If If there is enough demand for such a distinction, I will not enforce my opinion onto this thread and change that stance. But I think this would shift this thread from "lets find funny things Belkar said" to "is <this> a name or not?". And the second one does sound kinda stupid to me.

*Or nickname with general widespread use. From the top of my hat the only thing that should be in this category is "V" for Vaarsuvius

It is a bit unclear to what exactly it refers, but since Belkar demands to attribute Armor Class to "The Beast with to Back", it imo clearly references persons. It could be that it is a generic template (or something like that) applied in that situation, but I think it is a fair assumption that he meant Elan and Haley

You've included "That Bilbo Tool" which is something that V only speculates that Belkar is thinking. Same thing, really.
    For me the difference is that it is certain that "self buddy" and "elf buddy" was not used by Belkar, but by Illusory Belkar.

Whereas the source of "That Bilbo Tool" is imo at least a bit unclear. It could be made up by Vaarsuvius - but it could also be information that comes from Belkar himself (either because that panel shows how Belkar's brain actually works or the names are pulled directly from Belkar's mind). And that uncertainty is (for me) enough that I err on the side of inclusion.

[And anyway I don't really know what you want. Should we remove "That Bilbo Tool" or add "self/elf buddy" or do you not care as long as they treated the same?]

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

[And anyway I don't really know what you want. Should we remove "That Bilbo Tool" or add "self/elf buddy" or do you not care as long as they treated the same?]
    Personally, I think we should include both, with a note that it's an illusory/ imaginary Belkar rather than the real one.
    -.____________________

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

In strip 2 Belkar calls Elan a loser.

Peelee’s Lotsey

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

575 Belkar = centaur
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0575.html

578 golems = (magic) scarecrows
    578 Belkar = unicorn
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0578.html

606 society = all of the other mindless drones
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0606.html

612 thieves guild = a bunch of third rate wannabes
    612 Old Blind Pete = Petey boy
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
    -.____________________

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

467 Hinjo = A dumbass, a wuss and sissy.
    Note - Belkar says this as a single phrase. It should be a single entry in the table. You have separate entries for each word.

I don't think it's worth including single-word insults. There's too many times that he addresses someone as 'moron', 'idiot' or similar. It would fill up the table with boring, pointless entries. So you could remove the entry for "asshat"
    -.____________________

22. - Top - End - #52
    Firbolg in the Playground

Does 'go-getter' count?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Does 'go-getter' count?
    No. I think only words that start with a capital letter count. Belkar is careful enough to user capital letters for names, unlike Thog for example. Now if a phrase is at the start of a sentence, it could be unclear whether Belkar meant it as a name, but here it's in the middle of a sentence.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Just so we're all clear on this, here's the relevant quote from Shakespeare, Othello, Act I, Scene 1: "I am one, sir, that comes to tell you your daughter and the Moor are now making the beast with two backs."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    Just so we're all clear on this, here's the relevant quote from Shakespeare, Othello, Act I, Scene 1: "I am one, sir, that comes to tell you your daughter and the Moor are now making the beast with two backs."
    This makes me feel like it's not a name and is just Belkar referring to Elan and Haley having gotten together. He's not calling them the beast with two backs.

Peelee’s Lotsey

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    No. I think only words that start with a capital letter count. Belkar is careful enough to user capital letters for names, unlike Thog for example. Now if a phrase is at the start of a sentence, it could be unclear whether Belkar meant it as a name, but here it's in the middle of a sentence.
    Mh. The problem I see there is that we also have some really nice stuff that is not capitalized (like sexy shoeless god of war), but also some rather boring stuff that is capitalized (like Ears). So I will not discard it on the basis "it doesn't start with a capital letter" - because then I would be forced to remove other non-capitalized stuff, too.

But since the capitalization is one rather clear criterion, I think it could be useful to split the table into two pieces. So doing one table with capitalized stuff (probably more or less "proper names") and one with non-capitalized stuff (probably more or less "random phrases, used to address people").

Anyone thoughts about that distinction?

(Anyway as I said I count pretty much anything, so I will include it the next time I update the OP no matter what.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    This makes me feel like it's not a name and is just Belkar referring to Elan and Haley having gotten together. He's not calling them the beast with two backs.
    I know (at least after this was brought up here) what it references (and the source of said reference).
    The question what exactly Belkar wants to state/address with that. If you replace "The Beast with Two Backs" with "doing something", I think Belkar's sentence in 402 doesn't make that much sense, since Armor Class imo should apply to some person/thing/object and not an activity. So I think it is legitimate to say he means "Elan and Haley doing something".

It is possible that "Elan and Haley" isn't really what is referenced here and it should be "Elan and Haley doing something". But since I'm pondering whether or not we should include other stuff, I think I just do that and change it to "Elan and Haley doing something". Or would have someone have problems with that?

(I kinda wish I would have some executive power or something like that here - I kinda don't want to have half of the thread dedicated to talk about "The Beast wit Two Backs" )
    Last edited by ChristianSt; 2014-06-05 at 06:23 AM.

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if you're going to count "doing something" as well, then some names include, "Freezing My Considerable Assets Off", "Sweating Worse Than A Logger At Druidcon", and "Harvesting His Kidneys", all of which are colorful metaphors.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Well, if you're going to count "doing something" as well, then some names include, "Freezing My Considerable Assets Off", "Sweating Worse Than A Logger At Druidcon", and "Harvesting His Kidneys", all of which are colorful metaphors.
    Mh, I don't really see much of any metaphors going on there. The only thing that would somewhat fit would be the "freezing my considerable assets off", though I'm not sure what it should reference.

"sweating worse than a logger at DruidCon" is just a comparison. I can't see any "colorful renaming" or something similar there.

"harvesting his kidneys" could be a replacement for "killing him", though I think it is more likelier that he just wanted to harvest his kidneys - and I don't think we should collect any random/unusual sentence.

At the very least I would want to put into a concrete* thing that Belkar addresses with the name (or phrase) he uses. I think to collect words Belkar spoke is just too wide and troublesome and for me definitely outside of the scope of this project.

*I know "Elan and Haley doing something" doesn't look concrete, maybe "Elan and Haley having fun" would be better - but I don't really want to get plastic, but from context (and this thread) it is clear what is meant. This is more some sort of self-censoring.

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

But since the capitalization is one rather clear criterion, I think it could be useful to split the table into two pieces. So doing one table with capitalized stuff (probably more or less "proper names") and one with non-capitalized stuff (probably more or less "random phrases, used to address people").

Anyone thoughts about that distinction?
    Personally, I think mixing capitalized and non-capitalized isn't a really a problem, and that it isn't to large of a distinction. However, if that would make things neater, then I don't mind it.

Peelee’s Lotsey

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

ChristianST: if you include non-name insults in the table that Belkar says in all lower case, such as “honey”, could you at least show them in all lower case in the table? Thanks.

Update: done.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2014-07-05 at 12:19 PM.