New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What's The Name Of Yoda's Race?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I mean, I also said "critically acclaimed" which isn't related to box office at all
    Which raise the question: Critically acclaimed by whom?
    The "official" critics from the medias?
    Because when you look at how they bash some good stuffs and praise some average or bad stuffs, i wouldn't say they really put my trust in them.
    You just need to look at the tomatometer of STDiscovery or Watchmen.

I bet we'll find out before Mandalorian is up. Omid Abtahi (the nervous scientist guy) is too big an actor to waste on two scenes, and he was the most gung-ho to keep the Yodeling alive for... reasons. He'll be back to give an exposition dump before too long.
    I only know him from American Gods, in which he really was great.
    And i too would like to know what they were planning.

I wouldn't be surprise if they want to use his DNA to produce highly force-sensitive human children to revive an Empire with force-using super-soldier.
    Like the Sith knights in SW:TOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    A.) I already showed my dissatisfaction with critics opinions when they called my beloved JJR into question. That movie was impeccable, I tells ya! I might also have the biggest man-crush on Sam Rockwell, but regardless.
    JJR? What movie are you talking about?
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    JJR? What movie are you talking about?
    Jojo Rabbit. I want a gif of Sam Rockwell near the end. Those who've seen the movie know what I'm talking about. And those who haven't seen the movie need to see the movie, it's just fantastic!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-02 at 09:56 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Jojo Rabbit. I want a gif of Sam Rockwell near the end. Those who've seen the movie know what I'm talking about. And those who haven't seen the movie need to see the movie, it's just fantastic!
    I put this on my list.

Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Re Palpatine's office, it's very difficult to do action scenes with actors in elaborate costumes/make up, they can't necessarily see properly and might break the costumes or make the makeup fall off.
    Power Rangers/Sentai/Kamen Rider have been doing action scenes with actors in elaborate costumes/make up for decades now, not to mention the recent wave of great Marvel Movies with lots of great elaborate costume/make up action.

So budget/difficulty is not a valid reason for why humans kick alien ass in Star Wars 99% of the time.

Heck if nothing else Star Wars could've gone for the classic "really looks like an human but is actually an alien" several other franchises do like Star Trek, but not even that. Palpatine's an human, the Skywalkers are humans, Bobba Fett's an human, the unstoppable clone army are humans, the best bounty hunters are humans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Power Rangers/Sentai/Kamen Rider have been doing action scenes with actors in elaborate costumes/make up for decades now, not to mention the recent wave of great Marvel Movies with lots of great elaborate costume/make up action.

So budget/difficulty is not a valid reason for why humans kick alien ass in Star Wars 99% of the time.
    The people who do most of the action aren't in those elaborate costumes though.

Waddling around and occasionally flinging your arms in a wide arc does not a riveting movie-worthy action scene make.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The people who do most of the action aren't in those elaborate costumes though.

Waddling around and occasionally flinging your arms in a wide arc does not a riveting movie-worthy action scene make.
    Sooo, Darth Vader and Bobba Fett suddenly aren't worthy of a movie now?

Those are characters who wear fancy clothing and full-face masks most of their time on screen. They ended up as iconic badasses and could've been aliens underneath for all we knew before their identities were revealed.

Yet every time the Star Wars masked badass mask comes off, always a human underneath.
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I like all Star Wars Movies including the spin-off. No Star has never disappointed me. So I have a feeling that the ninth movie going to be great.
    Even Attack of the Clones!?

Wait, are you one of those people who hate sand?

I believe that they also have a lot of problems with the fact that the stunt actors can't see out of the close-up suits, and have had to work around that (suits for longer-ranged shots have eye holes). I mean, especially once you take all the problems into account, Kamen Rider* fight scenes look amazing, but it is certainly a hassle compared to having two human looking characters fighting.

At least apparently until you have to get Ewan McGregor to stop making lightsaber noises during filming.

* I don't really watch PR or SS.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Even Attack of the Clones!?

Wait, are you one of those people who hate sand?
    Imean let's be fair here, it's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

And if you're on Tattooine, it kills people.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Spamalot in the Playground

Which raise the question: Critically acclaimed by whom?
    The "official" critics from the medias?
    Because when you look at how they bash some good stuffs and praise some average or bad stuffs, i wouldn't say they really put my trust in them.
    You just need to look at the tomatometer of STDiscovery or Watchmen.
    Well, since you brought it up - personally I prefer CinemaScore to RT since it polls people actually leaving the theater (RT has no way to verify that the audience score truly represents folks who have seen the movie, to the point that until recently people were able to start bombing something before it even came out). But I'll indulge you and look at the tomatometer for the shows you mentioned:

Watchmen Season 1 - 96% Fresh
    Discovery overall - 83% Fresh
    The Mandalorian - 95% Fresh so far

And I'll throw in one more; The Boys Season 1 - 83% Fresh

Yeah, all of these line up perfectly with my own viewpoints, so if anything you've reinforced my acceptance of TLJ's 91% Fresh; that may not have been your intent but that's what I came away with.

I only know him from American Gods, in which he really was great.
    Yeah he's fantastic. My hope is also that he might bring some sorely, sorely needed queer representation to Star Wars too, given Salim's own leanings. (No idea about the actor himself though.)

And i too would like to know what they were planning.

I wouldn't be surprise if they want to use his DNA to produce highly force-sensitive human children to revive an Empire with force-using super-soldier.
    Like the Sith knights in SW:TOR.
    Well... if nothing else we know they fail at that, or at least that this particular plan didn't make it into the First Order and there don't seem to be any other Empire-esque organizations operating at that scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #101

Yeah, all of these line up perfectly with my own viewpoints
    You're underrating Discovery and The Boys, then.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, since you brought it up - personally I prefer CinemaScore to RT since it polls people actually leaving the theater (RT has no way to verify that the audience score truly represents folks who have seen the movie, to the point that until recently people were able to start bombing something before it even came out).
    I'll check CinemaScore.

But I'll indulge you and look at the tomatometer for the shows you mentioned:

And i'll throw even one more. Batwoman has a 73% score.

Now compare all this scores with the respective audience scores.
    Mandalorian and The Boys have audience scores very close or even identical to the tomatometer.
    For all the others there is a 40 to 50 % discrepancy. It even reach 61% for Batwoman.

Do you really believe that such a huge difference is only due to trolls?
    Or do you think that maybe the media critics are sometimes praising works that are really not that good?
    Discovery is 83% fresh while its plot have more holes than your average gruyère.

Yeah, all of these line up perfectly with my own viewpoints, so if anything you've reinforced my acceptance of TLJ's 91% Fresh; that may not have been your intent but that's what I came away with.
    And the audience score is 44%.

Well... if nothing else we know they fail at that, or at least that this particular plan didn't make it into the First Order and there don't seem to be any other Empire-esque organizations operating at that scale.
    That's just a theory. But they were extracting his DNA for a reason.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Spamalot in the Playground

Now compare all this scores with the respective audience scores.
    Do you really believe that such a huge difference is only due to trolls?
    In a word, yes. Which is why I'm not reopening this debate.

You're underrating Discovery and The Boys, then.
    Ha!
    I love both in spite of their (relatively few) flaws.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Sooo, Darth Vader and Bobba Fett suddenly aren't worthy of a movie now?

Those are characters who wear fancy clothing and full-face masks most of their time on screen. They ended up as iconic badasses and could've been aliens underneath for all we knew before their identities were revealed.
    Clothes and prosthetics aren't the same thing, are they?

Plus Fett's armor isn't all that elaborate; it articulates just fine. Vader's is, which is why you'll note they had to come up with an explanation for why he's so darn stiff. Are they going to do that for every character in some kind of ceremonial armor?

"Ah yes he wears impractical clothes because he's basically a human stump underneath. This is a common tragedy in this galaxy."

Yet every time the Star Wars masked badass mask comes off, always a human underneath.
    Because, as mentioned, prosthetics are time consuming and expensive, while also being fragile. TBF, Vader users them, but most of Star Wars' alien races are satisfyingly ALIEN, meaning it's kind of immediately obvious they're not the dude under a helmet or a mask or whatever because their face...won't fit under it.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Audience scores for websites, especially things like Rotten tomatoes have never been reliable. If you look to the audience score to see if a film is fresh or rotten, you're never going to get anything close to a reliable rating. Especially for a film with heavy marketing.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

16. - Top - End - #106

And considering that all star wars materials points to one needing strong force potential to properly wield a lightsaber even in a simple duel (let alone a large scale battle dangerous enough to kill a veteran jedi general)
    So, before I forget yet again...

Also, every Mandalorian that has wielded the Darksaber (we've seen at least three on screen, to my count). None have been Force sensitive, and none have been trained in lightsaber usage by Jedi, fallen Jedi, or Sith.

Lightsaber usage is not tied to the Force and nothing in canon suggests it is. Plenty in canon suggest that constructing a lightsaber is tied to the Force, but not using it.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Lightsaber usage is not tied to the Force and nothing in canon suggests it is. Plenty in canon suggest that constructing a lightsaber is tied to the Force, but not using it.
    Granted, if you don't have the Force or some hefty armour, you're probably going to fare better at most distances with a blaster, rather than a vorpal sword.
    Just wielding a blade does not a force user make, after all.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Granted, if you don't have the Force or some hefty armour, you're probably going to fare better at most distances with a blaster, rather than a vorpal sword.
    Just wielding a blade does not a force user make, after all.
    Yep and just because you have the force, doesn't mean you need to use a light saber. Really the only reason that they use it is because Starwars is stuck a bit in a rut. If a Force user doesn't use a lightsaber the fans would go ballistic.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Clothes and prosthetics aren't the same thing, are they?

Plus Fett's armor isn't all that elaborate; it articulates just fine. Vader's is, which is why you'll note they had to come up with an explanation for why he's so darn stiff. Are they going to do that for every character in some kind of ceremonial armor?

"Ah yes he wears impractical clothes because he's basically a human stump underneath. This is a common tragedy in this galaxy."
    The ending of Rogue One shows you can have somebody in Darth Vader's full suit do some pretty sweet scenes.

Because, as mentioned, prosthetics are time consuming and expensive, while also being fragile. TBF, Vader users them, but most of Star Wars' alien races are satisfyingly ALIEN, meaning it's kind of immediately obvious they're not the dude under a helmet or a mask or whatever because their face...won't fit under it.
    Says who? Humans can get big hair in lots of crazy shapes, but can still wear helmets just fine because hair is quite flexible. And plenty of Star Wars aliens aren't even that different, Darth Maul just had a bunch of short horns and different skin color. Something like Vader's own helmet would've easily covered his identity.

Really there's no lack of media where there's a masked being and when the mask comes off turns out to be something quite inhuman underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Yep and just because you have the force, doesn't mean you need to use a light saber. Really the only reason that they use it is because Starwars is stuck a bit in a rut. If a Force user doesn't use a lightsaber the fans would go ballistic.
    There's a short comic where a younger Darth Maul is hunting a jedi master who turns out to fight with a wooden stick and beats everybody who faces him even if they bring lightsabers but lets them escape alive.

Then after getting his ass kicked Darth maul develops his iconic double lightsaber specifically to counter said wooden stick jedi's moves and kils him.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Lightsabers do allow for blaster bolt deflection, something that other melee weapons can't achieve. That's really the principle reason to use one and it's also something only a force user can actually do.

And there have been force users shown without lightsabers, even in major media. The Nightsisters in TCW used energy bows and regular swords. Lightsabers are the traditional weapons of the Jedi and Sith, and since both organizations are extremely hidebound, it makes sense that they keep using lightsabers even when they aren't necessarily ideal for a given task. Non-traditional Jedi, such as Legends' Mara Jade, regularly made use of other weapons.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Lightsabers do allow for blaster bolt deflection, something that other melee weapons can't achieve. That's really the principle reason to use one and it's also something only a force user can actually do.

And there have been force users shown without lightsabers, even in major media. The Nightsisters in TCW used energy bows and regular swords. Lightsabers are the traditional weapons of the Jedi and Sith, and since both organizations are extremely hidebound, it makes sense that they keep using lightsabers even when they aren't necessarily ideal for a given task. Non-traditional Jedi, such as Legends' Mara Jade, regularly made use of other weapons.
    What I mean is why don't we get to see a force user who's primary weapons are guns. A Jedi sniper would be amazing. And remember the reasons are always production based, in universe there's nothing stopping it.

22. - Top - End - #112

What I mean is why don't we get to see a force user who's primary weapons are guns.
    We did in the EU. I want to say the Coruscant Nights series.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-04 at 09:01 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

We did in the EU. I want to say the Coruscant Nights series.
    don't remember that book, I'll have to check it out.

24. - Top - End - #114

don't remember that book, I'll have to check it out.
    It was the pulp noir detective series. Potentially really cheesy, but I loved 'em. Also I called it, Laranth Tarak was the character.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

In a word, yes. Which is why I'm not reopening this debate.
    As you wish.
    I will agree to disagree.

Also, every Mandalorian that has wielded the Darksaber (we've seen at least three on screen, to my count). None have been Force sensitive, and none have been trained in lightsaber usage by Jedi, fallen Jedi, or Sith.
    Just to point out that Sabine has been trained by a former padawan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    It's also a very good can opener.
    And "can" may mean "security door" or "AT-AT" depending on the context.

It was the pulp noir detective series. Potentially really cheesy, but I loved 'em. Also I called it, Laranth Tarak was the character.
    Wasn't there also a whole group of force-using bounty hunter who trained in intercepting blaster shots with blaster shots?

Edit: Apparently, that was those ones.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2019-12-04 at 09:22 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116

Just to point out that Sabine has been trained by a former padawan.
    Bah, forgot that, I thought he just trained Ezra. Should rewatch that series.
    Wasn't there also a whole group of force-using bounty hunter who trained in intercepting blaster shots with blaster shots?
    I think the offshoot Jedi order Laranth was a part of could do that, I also think I remember her specifically doing it.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-04 at 09:30 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Bah, forgot that, I thought he just trained Ezra. Should rewatch that series.

I think the offshoot Jedi order Laranth was a part of could do that, I also think I remember her specifically doing it.
    Her wooki page say she could. but i kinda remember reading another wooki page about a group that could do this, and the illustration was a redhaired woman in armor from a comic. My memory is fuzzy, though.