New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Star Wars] A Tad Uncomfortable...

I'm playing in a Star Wars game with some friends. My character is Tykoga, a male Twi'lek noble/scoundrel who gets most of his funds from some rather shady activities, primarily that of Twi'lek slave trade. Everyone else in the party is either ignorant of what I do, or is smart enough to look the other way...

Anyway, our group managed to survive Order 66 and, in a small jump from continuity, saved Aayla Secura from the demise we see in Episode III. Not that she's showing me any gratitude for it, but still...

So, here's where the character knowledge and the player knowledge seperate. I'm trying not to think of this stuff when I'm determining my character's actions, but it's hard, since the GM and player made no effort to keep it private...

Spoiler
    Show
    You see, last session took place about two months after Order 66 went down in-game, and one of the other players, having retired his Kel Dor Jedi, introduced his new character, a Bothan Scout.

His character arrives on the secret base we're on, and asks Aayla Secura if there's anything he can help her with, and specifically mentions the phrase "Twi'lek slavers" amongst his three examples. Aayla describes me to him, and says, "See what you can do."

Anyway, I'm just sitting in my quarters, having recently gotten back from a rather lucrative "bit of business," when Mell, the Duros who runs the base, calls our group together for a meeting.

Mell explains our latest mission to us, involving a derelict Techno Union banker ship that he was particularly interested in. I notice this Bothan nearby, who is apparently going on the mission with us, and introduce myself to him. He looks at me furtively and says, "Oh, so you're the slaver..."

At this point, Tykoga is feeling somewhat suspicious. The other Twi'lek on the base make no effort to disguise their hatred of me, and now this Bothan appears out of nowhere and says, "Oh, so you're the slaver..." So, yeah, I'm watching him, and I've also pointed him out to the Mandalorian in the party, who occasionally profits off of my character's dealings, and told him, "I've got a bad feeling about this guy. Keep an eye out for him."

Now, my little rant about this...

Spoiler
    Show
    I am feeling like he has screwed me over here. He has introduced his character in such a way that there will be a confrontation between his character and mine, and I am feeling that it is entirely unlikely that it will be resolved peacefully.

Any suggestions for what I should do, both in-character and out-of-character?
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2009-01-14 at 06:49 AM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: [Star Wars] A Tad Uncomfortable...

Well, if you don't like confrontation or think it will lead to bad things out of character, you should probably talk to them about it out of character. The 'shady activities', by their nature, should have repercussions, but repercussions in the form of a new player character are a bad thing.

It's entirely possible the player you think is gunning for you will try to redeem you or something else non-violent, and looks upon it as a cool and unique way of introducing his new player character.

But if he's going for the confrontation and you have no real problem with intraparty combat, get your mandalorian friend and arrange an accident for him. Or plan for the fight, then kick his ass. If he wanted conflict and he got it, his reaction to losing will show whether he was just looking for some interesting roleplay (if he takes it good-naturedly) or whether he wanted to be an ass about it (if he starts kicking off).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Agreed, talk to him out of character.

Also, remember that playing a slaver is generally asking for trouble, and it's within this guy's rights to make a character who opposes it - most characters should oppose it. A non-violent solution might well requie you to curb your activities, or pretend to curb them, or buy the guy off. He's not the only one who should have to compromise.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Subdue him, and sell him into slavery. Its what you do, right? Besides, what better way for a slaver to take care of his problems.

5. - Top - End - #5

My current plan, in-character, is to:

1) Buy up some Rycrit farms.

2) Explain to the Bothan and the various Twi'leks on the base that I've dropped the whole business and am now earning my fortune legitimately through some rather lucrative Rycrit farming. I can be a very good liar, but it's probably still a good idea to have the Mandalorian around while I'm doing this.

3) Continue the slaving business. If the Bothan or the Twi'leks investigate, arrange for them to have an accident.

My current plan, out-of-character, is to:

1) Talk to the player and make sure he means me no ill will.

2) Explain to the GM that Tykoga intends to continue his practices, but now is going to be much more secretive about it.

3) Consider taking the Crime Lord prestige class.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-12-19 at 02:37 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    3) Consider taking the Crime Lord prestige class.
    I'd say go for it, it's got some nice talents for you to take. Main downside is that it doesn't stack with noble levels for Wealth, assuming you have that talent.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Main downside is that it doesn't stack with noble levels for Wealth, assuming you have that talent.
    This has been changed in the latest errata. All talents that reference your level in a particular class have been changed to refer to your unnamed 'class level'. The term 'class level' now refers to all levels in ANY classes that gain access to the talent or talent tree.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2008-12-19 at 06:35 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    This has been changed in the latest errata. All talents that reference your level in a particular class have been changed to refer to your unnamed 'class level'. The term 'class level' now refers to all levels in ANY classes that gain access to the talent or talent tree.
    Crime Lord doesn't have access to that talent tree. For some retarded reason.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

That is rather asinine, what with wealth being one of a crime lord's greatest weapons.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Just out of curiosity, how would the ignorant members of the party react to finding out you're a slaver? I'm guessing this a pretty gray or neutral group, but if things get violent it might be something to think about.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

This is why you don't mix heroic and un-heroic types in the same party. Star Wars isn't about backstabbing and intra-party sniping.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like a great RP opportunity to settle in game, not out. I like how you're whispering about it to the Mandalorian already. But if it makes you too uncomfortable in real life and you don't like it just tell your DM so. Maybe he can ease up.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kiero View Post
    This is why you don't mix heroic and un-heroic types in the same party. Star Wars isn't about backstabbing and intra-party sniping.
    Oh sure, because Han Solo and Obi-Wan Kenobi weren't in the same 'party'. And surely Chewbacca wasn't in the same party as Luke Skywalker. Certainly can't have those heroic types rubbing elbows with the rest of us unwashed masses!

No, this is a perfect example of "How the heck does an NPC know that?". How would Aayla Secura know your character well enough to describe him? Seems the DM is just interested in screwing you or creating intra-party conflict for no reason.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    Oh sure, because Han Solo and Obi-Wan Kenobi weren't in the same 'party'. And surely Chewbacca wasn't in the same party as Luke Skywalker. Certainly can't have those heroic types rubbing elbows with the rest of us unwashed masses!
    The original trilogy especially is pretty black and white. Han and Chewie chose their side (hint: it wasn't the un-heroic). Whereas other "neutrals" like Boba Fett chose theirs. By the way, I'm talking about motivations here, in case you missed that.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

He mentioned earlier than his group rescued Aayla. She presumably saw him then.
    The better question is why a Jedi Knight who has knowledge of him being a slaver apparently decided it was better to send a Bothan on a suicide quest than go have a friendly little chat with someone of her own species selling her own species into slavery. Even if she just suspects it, that is not something a Jedi would just send a first helpful face to investigate - especially one that blatantly bad at the game.

Way to go, hero(ine).
    Last edited by Doomsy; 2008-12-19 at 08:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kiero View Post
    The original trilogy especially is pretty black and white. Han and Chewie chose their side (hint: it wasn't the un-heroic). Whereas other "neutrals" like Boba Fett chose theirs. By the way, I'm talking about motivations here, in case you missed that.
    Han and Chewie were still unheroic characters whose motivations involved money and fame. Ask the question: "Lets kill this slaver" and you get the response: "What's he done to me?"

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsy View Post
    The better question is why a Jedi Knight who has knowledge of him being a slaver apparently decided it was better to send a Bothan on a suicide quest than go have a friendly little chat with someone of her own species selling her own species into slavery.
    That doesn't answer the question of how she knew he was a slaver to begin with.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Han and Chewie were still unheroic characters whose motivations involved money and fame. Ask the question: "Lets kill this slaver" and you get the response: "What's he done to me?"
    So "un-heroic", that Han (and Chewie) came back to save Luke's behind at the end of the first film (after he'd been paid), and still stuck around through the second. Oh, right...
    Wushu Open Reloaded

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Can I assume the rest of the party is mostly good?

Seems like the obvious thing to do is RP an intense change of heart and repentment. I mean, why else are you playing a character whose activities most of the rest of the party would presumably object to anyway?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

While I agree with you that Star Wars is as good a setting as any for parties of mixed heroes and, for lack of a better term, villains ...

Slavery in particular is one of those things that both Han and Chewie hate with a passion. The reason Chewie owes a life debt to Han is because Han saved him from Imperial slavery. And one of Han Solo's earliest adventures involved falling in love with a woman who was duped into slavery.

So while they were certainly mostly in it to look out for themselves, they did have a few decidedly heroic qualities.
    Last edited by Da'Shain; 2008-12-20 at 02:27 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsy View Post
    He mentioned earlier than his group rescued Aayla. She presumably saw him then.
    The better question is why a Jedi Knight who has knowledge of him being a slaver apparently decided it was better to send a Bothan on a suicide quest than go have a friendly little chat with someone of her own species selling her own species into slavery. Even if she just suspects it, that is not something a Jedi would just send a first helpful face to investigate - especially one that blatantly bad at the game.

Way to go, hero(ine).
    Yeah, I have to agree with this. NPC-Aayla's wandering off the general Jedi milieu by not trying to talk this out first and resorting immediately to a hired assassin of all things. In fact, this is so un-Jedi it'd make my paranoid little mind a little suspicious about "Aayla". But really, it's probably just the GM giving you some conflict to resolve in a hamfisted way.

I support your plans, Alucard, in and out of character. Although switching to a less outright evil set of crimes than slavery may be a good backup plan.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

21. - Top - End - #21

That doesn't answer the question of how she knew he was a slaver to begin with.
    Yeah, I found that kinda funny, too...

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree with this. NPC-Aayla's wandering off the general Jedi milieu by not trying to talk this out first and resorting immediately to a hired assassin of all things. In fact, this is so un-Jedi it'd make my paranoid little mind a little suspicious about "Aayla".
    Either way, my character wouldn't know that... at least, not yet. After all, he wasn't there for it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Da'Shain View Post
    While I agree with you that Star Wars is as good a setting as any for parties of mixed heroes and, for lack of a better term, villains ...

Slavery in particular is one of those things that both Han and Chewie hate with a passion. The reason Chewie owes a life debt to Han is because Han saved him from Imperial slavery. And one of Han Solo's earliest adventures involved falling in love with a woman who was duped into slavery.

So while they were certainly mostly in it to look out for themselves, they did have a few decidedly heroic qualities.
    Yet it's always a case that even those who start out "neutral" eventually make a choice as to whether they're heroes or villains.

And slaving is an unashamedly villanous activity, along with drug-dealing in Star Wars.
    Wushu Open Reloaded

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

Which is one of the reason why Han is more Neutral, as Complete Scoundrel points out, than good. He may occasionally be a slave-freeer, but he's also a drug-runner

(Glitterstim from The Spice Mines of Kessel is highly addictive, and both Boba Fett and Corran Horn have commented on the Moral Dissonance of this in jutaxposition with Han The Hero)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    (Glitterstim from The Spice Mines of Kessel is highly addictive, and both Boba Fett and Corran Horn have commented on the Moral Dissonance of this in jutaxposition with Han The Hero)
    It's only moral dissonance if you think drugs are evil. I don't, but I was very amused when the heroic Rebel Alliance enlisted the help of a species of murderous cannibals and unleashed them on the storm troopers to slaughter each other.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

25. - Top - End - #25

When was the time we heard of an Emok eating another Ewok?

Though in Star Wars Tales we do see suggestings that Ewoks are very very ruthless (and sneaky as well)

glitterstim seems to combine all the worst aspects of drugs "Spice Paranoia (the victim gets paranoid) Spice Frenzy (the victim acts like a berzerker) blindness when overused, and addiction. the books stressing this were perhaps a little Anvilicius, though.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Though in Star Wars Tales we do see suggestings that Ewoks are very very ruthless (and sneaky as well)
    If they weren't, they'd be dead. Have you seen some of the other critters those little teddy bears have to deal with?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

When was the time we heard of an Emok eating another Ewok?

I view anyone eating a sapient being as cannibalism. Actual species is less relevant to me than the fact that the Ewoks were willing to kill someone for food.
    glitterstim seems to combine all the worst aspects of drugs "Spice Paranoia (the victim gets paranoid) Spice Frenzy (the victim acts like a berzerker) blindness when overused, and addiction. the books stressing this were perhaps a little Anvilicius, though.
    None of which changes the morality of drugs. If someone wants to melt their brain, they should have the option.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

28. - Top - End - #28

the example in I, Jedi was said person abusing people around them as well. When the hero gives a bit of a rant on how he's faced the Hard Choices before he knew about being force sensitive:

it concerned domestic violence from a "glitbiting husband" and also, bribes from spicelords. He didn't succumb to temptation to be violent to the sleeping husband, or take the bribe.

point to be made is- its not just the users who get hurt. Even in the absence of evil conected only to a substance's being illegal. Add in that The Spice enables user to invade the privacy of others with spice-granted telepathy, and you can see whhy Corran's view of Han is a bit coloured.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2008-12-20 at 11:14 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

the example in I, Jedi was said person abusing people around them as well. When the hero gives a bit of a rant on how he's faced the Hard Choices before he knew about being force sensitive:

it concerned domestic violence from a "glitbiting husband" and also, bribes from spicelords. He didn't succumb to temptation to be violent to the sleeping husband, or take the bribe.
    I'm not saying that abusing the people around you isn't evil, what I'm saying is that even under the influence, all actions are the responsibility of the person who takes them, and not a chemical.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

30. - Top - End - #30

sure, its not like a Detect Evil spell would show it up. But the point of the industry was to make money- and the direct result involved a lot of misery, and Han is a willing participant, even if he dislikes it.

and "addictive, mind-altering + dangerous to health" is pretty nasty combination.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2008-12-20 at 11:21 AM.