New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Penguin? No, Episcan!

The Episcan

The Episcan are a humanoid race of penguins. They stand at 3-4 ft. tall and are similar in shape and color to normal penguins. Unique to Episcan are claw like hooks located near the edge of the inside of their fins, enabling them to grasp and hold utensils, weapons, etc.

A typical Episca lives in a large clan, made up of numerous families. While typically found in naturally cold or frozen environments, Episcan do not seem to have trouble living in a temperate climate. They have also been know to have created their own frozen habitats in temperate climates or underground locations through the use of strong, ice magic.

Episca Traits:

Age: The Episcan have short life spans but mature quickly. They typically reach adulthood around ten years of age, and live up to fifty years. Females are known to live longer life spans, but not by much. On average, male Episcan live 42 years, and female Episcan live 47 years.

Alignment: Episcan are typically of neutral alignment. They are usually well grounded and avoid extremes. Clan or family leaders are usually of good alignment, due to the self-sacrifice it requires to be a leader.

Size and Appearance: Episcan stand at anywhere from 3-4 ft. tall. They usually weigh anywhere from 40-60 lbs, and are colored similar to Emperor Penguins or African Penguins. An Episca's size is small.

Speed: An Episca's base speed is 25 ft. and has a swim speed of 30 ft.

Ability Score Increase: Episcan gain a +2 to Charisma.

Darkvision: Episcan develop Darkvision throughout their first couple years of life. They can see for 60 ft. in dim light as if it was bright light and no light as if it was dim light. They cannot discern color in darkness, only shades of grey.

Frozen Bones: Episcan gain resistance to cold damage. They are also able to move at full speed in frozen terrain and do not need to make Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks when moving on ice.

Languages: Episcan can speak, read, and write Common and Episcopalian.

Subrace: Episcan can be found in two different subraces, Cavern Episcan and Freeland Episcan. Choose one.

Cavern Episcan

Cavern Episcan find their homes in caves or underground where they treat their environment with ice magic to make it more comfortable.

Ability Score Increase: Cavern Episcan gain a +1 to Intelligence.

Ice Magic: Cavern Episcan develop their inborn magic more so than their Freeland counterparts. Cavern Episcan know and can cast the Ray of Frost cantrip. Charisma is their spellcasting ability for it.

Extra Language: Cavern Episcan are able to speak, read, and write one extra language.

Freeland Episcan

Freeland Episcan find their homes in naturally frozen environments.

Ability Score Increase: Freeland Episcan gain a +1 to Constitution.

Strength in Numbers: Freeland Episcan gain advantage on Strength and Dexterity saving throws when within 5 ft. of a friendly character.

Weapon Proficiency: Freeland Episcan are proficient with the morningstar, scimitar, blowgun, and net.

*Feel Free To Comment, Make Suggestions, Criticize, Etc.*
    Last edited by mr_odd; 2014-11-11 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Updates
    Quote Originally Posted by Baptor View Post
    You never go full Samson.
    My 5e Homebrew:

The Bashou-http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...8#post18198938

The Episcan-http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...in-No-Episcan!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Penguin? No, Episcan!

This. Is beautiful

Just wondering, where do you get the name "episcan" from?
    Kudos to smuchmuch for the awesome 11th Doctor avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheKing View Post
    This. Is beautiful

Just wondering, where do you get the name "episcan" from?
    I was just playing around with the word penguin and various syllables. It went from "pensila" to ""penscil" to "pesca" to "episca."
    Last edited by mr_odd; 2014-11-10 at 05:04 PM.
    My 5e Homebrew:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

You might consider something like Sphenicids or something based on their taxonomy.

Not a 5th edition player so I can't comment on balance.

One the one hand, anthropomorphic penguins seem odd in a serious setting. On the other... flipper, well, see my avatar (And the disappointment I felt when I realized this wasn't for 3.5)
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    You might consider something like Sphenicids or something based on their taxonomy.

Not a 5th edition player so I can't comment on balance.

One the one hand, anthropomorphic penguins seem odd in a serious setting. On the other... flipper, well, see my avatar (And the disappointment I felt when I realized this wasn't for 3.5)
    I kind of see them as having the same amount of seriousness as a goblin or a kobold (or any ridiculous creature that has ever been made for D&D).
    My 5e Homebrew:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder; why give Cavern Episcans Chill Touch and not Ray of Frost?

Chill Touch is a necromancy spell dealing necrotic damage and sealing off the target's ability to heal for a short time, whereas Ray of Frost is an evocation spell dealing cold damage and making it harder for the target to move. Which one sounds more appropriate for humanoid pinguins who favor ice magic?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    I wonder; why give Cavern Episcans Chill Touch and not Ray of Frost?

Chill Touch is a necromancy spell dealing necrotic damage and sealing off the target's ability to heal for a short time, whereas Ray of Frost is an evocation spell dealing cold damage and making it harder for the target to move. Which one sounds more appropriate for humanoid pinguins who favor ice magic?
    Did not realize Chill Touch was necrotic damage...

I'll edit that.
    My 5e Homebrew:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Look, I know this post was from a couple of years ago, but.... I currently have an Episcan character. He's excessively OP. Not because of his race, but still.. Good job with the build!