New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Increasing Skills past the limit?

Is there anything that lets you?

eg, if I'm level 16 and I want to upgrade a skill past 19, is there any way to? (as far as ranks put in, I know there's items and ability mods and whatnot).

Also can anyone recommend items that provide spellcraft bonuses?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Increasing Skills past the limit?

I recall a trick that involves using the bard song that temporarily increases you hit dice, while a psion uses the power that lets you change you skill selections from your last level. I forget the names ATM, though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a feat in Cityscape called Primary Contact that lets you get 1 rank in a skill and explicitly allows increasing about the normal limit. Unfortunately, the way it's worded means that the benefit of this disappears at your next level-up where you are again limited by your max ranks. Further, it has some stringent fluff requirements and is based entirely around fluff so it can't really be ignored.

So if you wanted to take it at 16th level you'd have to get a bonus feat from a class at that level (eg: take a level of Marshal when you already have Skill Focus: Diplomacy) after taking its prerequisite feat, Favored and associating yourself with an organization that focuses on this skill somehow.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

As I recall, the professional cheesy way to pull this off involves polymorph cheese and some monster called the Dusk Giant.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    As I recall, the professional cheesy way to pull this off involves polymorph cheese and some monster called the Dusk Giant.
    Yes, the dusk giant is a monster from Heroes of Horror which gains hit die when it eats sentient beings but loses hit die if it goes a long time without eating them. So rpugh idea is you polymorph into a dusk giant, eat some people, then polymorph back into your normal form. There are some additional steps needed to justify keeping the extra hit die that I don't recall. It is very cheeserific.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Yes, the dusk giant is a monster from Heroes of Horror which gains hit die when it eats sentient beings but loses hit die if it goes a long time without eating them. So rpugh idea is you polymorph into a dusk giant, eat some people, then polymorph back into your normal form. There are some additional steps needed to justify keeping the extra hit die that I don't recall. It is very cheeserific.
    The main way to do it is not to keep the extra hit dice (you're not allowed to) but to put all your skill points into one skill. Since the game only "checks" your hit dice when you put ranks in, losing the hit dice will let you keep the skill up high as long as all the points used were from your normal hit dice.

Also, the targets don't need to be sentient. Generally this plan involves buckets full of live chickens.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

You mean sapient. Chickens are sentient.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

So how exactly do oyu do it?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    You mean sapient. Chickens are sentient.
    Yeah, thanks. I always confuse the two. (It doesn't help that a lot of people seem to use sentient when they mean sapient). Maybe I should just say,licing creatures with int at least 3 which is I think the actual standard. (Although book is in apartment right now so I can't look it up).
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Ravenloft has the "mechanical appitude" feat, in Legacy of Blood that lets you increase the max ranks of all int-based skills up to 5 + level instead of 3.

Pretty useful for getting in prestige classes, especially ones whose highest requirements are things like knowledge.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    Ravenloft has the "mechanical appitude" feat, in Legacy of Blood that lets you increase the max ranks of all int-based skills up to 5 + level instead of 3.

Pretty useful for getting in prestige classes, especially ones whose highest requirements are things like knowledge.
    Too bad Ravenloft campaign setting got its 3.0 license taken away, so it isn't legal in 3.5. Though we all saw it comin. There was some pretty unbalanced stuff in there!
    Last edited by PlzBreakMyCmpAn; 2010-09-12 at 08:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PlzBreakMyCmpAn View Post
    Too bad Ravenloft campaign setting got its 3.0 license taken away, so it isn't legal in 3.5. Though we all saw it comin. There was some pretty unbalanced stuff in there!
    Wait, when in the name of Baator did that happen?