New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Land Druid and it's AC problems

Been wanting to play a Land Druid because you rarely see one and started doing so theoretic builds.

I am having issues getting a decent AC on one.
    They have Barkskin but it's Concentration.

Anything I can do to bump AC to something a bit better than 16?
    "The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience."
    -Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Land Druid and it's AC problems

Quote Originally Posted by Edgerunner View Post
    Been wanting to play a Land Druid because you rarely see one and started doing so theoretic builds.

I've found that while their AC is low, it's normally fine. Since it's free HP's it usually works out.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edgerunner View Post

Play a Lizardfolk land druid with a decent dex score, grab a shield and now you can easily hit 17 without spending a lvl 2 spellslot. (dex 14 +shield gives AC 17, for just 6 point buy points).

Oh, and please remember that opposed to previous editions, you can wear metal armour without penalty and you are proficient in medium armour So you could start saving up for that half plate.

alternatively start as Vuman, take Magic Initiate (Wizard/Sorcerer) and grab Mage Armour as your spell (and gain 2 free cantrips of a decent list as well woohoo!) for basically the same effect...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    Play a Lizardfolk land druid with a decent dex score, grab a shield and now you can easily hit 17 without spending a lvl 2 spellslot. (dex 14 +shield gives AC 17, for just 6 point buy points).

Oh, and please remember that opposed to previous editions, you can wear metal armour without penalty and you are proficient in medium armour So you could start saving up for that half plate.

alternatively start as Vuman, take Magic Initiate (Wizard/Sorcerer) and grab Mage Armour as your spell (and gain 2 free cantrips of a decent list as well woohoo!) for basically the same effect...
    Page 65, PHB:

"P r o f ic ie n c ie s
    Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields (druids will
    not wear armor or use shields made o f metal)"

If by explicitly not allowed you mean there are no penalties, sure. But your DM allowing you to do that is house rules.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

hmm... I always though 16 AC was pretty good for a full spellcasting class.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trampaige View Post
    Page 65, PHB:

"P r o f ic ie n c ie s
    Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields (druids will
    not wear armor or use shields made o f metal)"

If by explicitly not allowed you mean there are no penalties, sure. But your DM allowing you to do that is house rules.
    No penalty and the language suggests that it is 'not done'. the line specifically says will nowhere does it say druids can't wear metal armour.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

A level dip into Monk has some good synergy and gives you some combat options outside of your spells.

Getting your main stat to AC is pretty awesome, but you wouldn't be able to use shields.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm playing a land druid with ac 17 (16 dex, studded leather (studded with bone spikes, not metal) and wooden shield) and feel quite comfortable ac-wise. That said, it's not unusual for me to take the dodge action, because my main contributions are via concentration spells, so that helps too.
    Last edited by some guy; 2017-03-03 at 01:01 PM.
    Demiliches. Why'd it have to be demiliches?

9. - Top - End - #9

No penalty and the language suggests that it is 'not done'. the line specifically says will nowhere does it say druids can't wear metal armour.
    I almost feel like this should be it's own thread of discussion.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Play Coast Druid for Mirror Image. Barkskin is on the 'never use' list.

11. - Top - End - #11

RedWizardGuy

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/feat...ers-march-2016

So either metal armor or ask your DM about non-metal half-plate. There's a bunch in modules, but they are "magic" item, because they also give strong bonus like resistance to a damage type. If you go for a bone-plate, not-quite-dragon scales or stone, that just give AC, it would be balanced.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

If you don't have Dex to spare and a stingy DM, the spiked armor from SCAG is not always metal (so just say you have the non-metal version) and at least offers 14+Dex (max 2). With a shield, that means you have at least Barkskin levels and potentially 18. It should hold you well enough until you can get your hands on a more exotic armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

You can always try to get better armour but I am playing a druid currently and although he isn't Land he is Shepherd from unearthed arcana. Lizard Folk gets natural armor of 13 + Dex so I was able to get 17/18 armor just from doing that.

(Lizard folk get +2 to con and +1 to wis)

"Fear and intimidation, mostly, though a little torture here and there helps" Comic #817

Avatar drawn by: Honest Tiefling

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Are you kidding me right now?
    I feel like you must be.

It doesn't matter if they can wear metal armor. They will not wear metal armor.
    Fighter: "Here, wear this half-plate because you're proficient."
    Druid: "No. I will not put that on. It is unnatural for man to be clad in metal."
    Whether or not he physically can wear it is irrelevant, because he won't put it on.
    Last edited by DivisibleByZero; 2017-03-03 at 01:57 PM.
    If you quote me and ask me questions,
    and I continue to not respond,
    it's probably because I have
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Druids won't wear metal armor, it doesn't matter if they can they just simply won't...
    Last edited by JobsforFun; 2017-03-03 at 02:03 PM.

"Fear and intimidation, mostly, though a little torture here and there helps" Comic #817

Avatar drawn by: Honest Tiefling

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    I feel like you must be.

Druid: "No. I will not put that on. It is unnatural for man to be clad in metal."
    Whether or not he physically can wear it is irrelevant, because he won't put it on.
    I was thinking of posting something similar, but couldn't put together the right combination of words. So thank you.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

You can make armor from all kinds of different materials. There's wood, paper, ceramic, hides from monsters, ect..

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Even with just leather or hide, you are no worse than most warlocks or non-dragon sorcerers

19. - Top - End - #19

Goblin

I feel like you must be.

Eh, it depends how closely your table follows the fluff attached to the classes. There's that whole spectrum from strict adherence to total disregard and the OP's table might fall anywhere in the mix. Suggesting half plate because there's no mechanical penalty is a reasonable enough thing to do.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I feel like you must be.

That's the problem with that stereotype. I won't wear metal but I'll use metal weapons. Oh I will wear metal jewelry. I'll use metal tools. But we're a metal or no For the Love of nature no don't worry metal armor. Are you trying to hand me a metal metal half plate no no no it's not made of metal is actually made from the hide of a bulette Ohhh OK sure.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    That's the problem with that stereotype. I won't wear metal but I'll use metal weapons. Oh I will wear metal jewelry. I'll use metal tools. But we're a metal or no For the Love of nature no don't worry metal armor. Are you trying to hand me a metal metal half plate no no no it's not made of metal is actually made from the hide of a bulette Ohhh OK sure.
    But that's a great thing, now the druid works together with the ranger for their leatherworker's tools proficiency and the dwarf for their blacksmithing proficiency to create a medium armor made from an exotic creature. It's an easy hook for the dm and it provides more bonding in the group.

Not to mention it's awesome to wear the hide of a weird creature.
    Demiliches. Why'd it have to be demiliches?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    Eh, it depends how closely your table follows the fluff attached to the classes. There's that whole spectrum from strict adherence to total disregard and the OP's table might fall anywhere in the mix. Suggesting half plate because there's no mechanical penalty is a reasonable enough thing to do.
    Indeed, though to be honest I haven't found a table that really enforces the PHB fluff to the letter (which would include names), hey, to each their own.

By now I feel that the metal taboo on druids is a sacred cow and, frankly, has always been ridiculous: why is metal armour bad (and only sheet meat armour, not studs or anything) but a metal weapon fine?

I mean, to me it's basically equivalent to paladins falling due to alignment, barbarians and bards becoming lawful and thus losing their class features, monks becoming non-lawful and losing their class features and so on: it/s a legacy thing and there for fluff and/or flavour. It is a suggestion you, as a player are free to ignore (barring DM fiat of course, but I see communicating with your DM regarding Character Input And Legality to be pretty much self explanatory). If it's not mechanically enforced it's up for grabs.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

23. - Top - End - #23

RedWizardGuy

Why are people still arguing about metal armors? The devs said it's perfectly okay balance-wise to have druid wear any medium armor. So just make an armor that's exactly the stats of the half-plate but call it something else and say it's not metal. Just find any monster that have an AC of 15+ without dex and say it's that. Or have one of the stone armor from PotA. Lots of earth cultist wears various armor ( even fullplate) but they are made from stone instead.

Balanced and follow the fluff, done.

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Even with just leather or hide, you are no worse than most warlocks or non-dragon sorcerers
    That's a very good point. Ultimatly, land druids are squishy full-caster, you don't need any more AC with them then with a wizard/sorcerer/warlock.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I just started a new campaign with level 6 PC's, one is a land druid and had this exact worry at session 0. though we didn't end up using this option over barkskin/animal forms/playing defensively, I offered them a drakescale mail or a more palatable natural armor equivalent to get around the metal armor restriction.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Indeed, though to be honest I haven't found a table that really enforces the PHB fluff to the letter (which would include names), hey, to each their own.

By now I feel that the metal taboo on druids is a sacred cow and, frankly, has always been ridiculous: why is metal armour bad (and only sheet meat armour, not studs or anything) but a metal weapon fine?

I mean, to me it's basically equivalent to paladins falling due to alignment, barbarians and bards becoming lawful and thus losing their class features, monks becoming non-lawful and losing their class features and so on: it/s a legacy thing and there for fluff and/or flavour. It is a suggestion you, as a player are free to ignore (barring DM fiat of course, but I see communicating with your DM regarding Character Input And Legality to be pretty much self explanatory). If it's not mechanically enforced it's up for grabs.
    In 1e and 2e, the argument was as follows:
    1- Armor making is way more complicated and technologically advanced than most weapon construction; including every weapon that was on the Druid list; so from an anti-technology standpoint it was a lot bigger 'sin'
    2- There is a difference between picking up a piece of metal and swinging it around compared to completely covering your body in it in terms of blocking natural energies (which remember armor and magic energies were more of a problem back then)
    3- The 'natural spirits' which often empowered Druid magic had lots of rules and taboos which didn't make sense to mortals, metal armor restriction could just be one of them
    Last edited by Naanomi; 2017-03-03 at 02:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Proficiencies
    Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields (druids will not wear armor or use shields made of metal)

That isn't fluff. Those are the rules.
    Unless you consider your armor proficiency fluff.
    The reason may be fluff, but the rules say that he will not wear it. Which means he will not put it on. So it doesn't matter if he is technically proficient, because it will never adorn his body. Full stop.
    Last edited by DivisibleByZero; 2017-03-03 at 03:04 PM.
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Call it fluff if you like, but if you have a character with a level of Druid, who is wearing metal armor, you are firmly in homebrew territory, and not in the realm of RAW or RAI.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    In 1e and 2e, the argument was as follows:
    1- Armor making is way more complicated and technologically advanced than most weapon construction; including every weapon that was on the Druid list; so from an anti-technology standpoint it was a lot bigger 'sin'
    2- There is a difference between picking up a piece of metal and swinging it around compared to completely covering your body in it in terms of blocking natural energies (which remember armor and magic energies were more of a problem back then)
    3- The 'natural spirits' which often empowered Druid magic had lots of rules and taboos which didn't make sense to mortals, metal armor restriction could just be one of them
    Well, the fun thing is 3.5 just straight up said "No, druids cannot wear metal armour, if they do they lose all classfeatures derived from the druid class." with no apparent reason past "unnatural stuff". Which is where people scratched their heads thinking "but metal scimitars are okay, well, sure, I guess". 3.5 also had more options for druids to use as material, from iron bark, to dark leaves to dragon hide and so on, so that was only a matter of time (or more accurately: money).

Now I don't know what happened with 4th edition as I did not have contact at all beyond a cursory glance to the races and classes, but 5e now says "well, it's a taboo, not that it matters at all, but it's a taboo because that how it used to be. Now go hike uphill and whack those low level goblins again, like you did at lvl 1".

Which I think is a good step in the right direction but not quite there yet.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Scimitars are the DnD equivalent of machetes. Those are good for someone out and about in nature all the time, to clear away brush. Sickles are actually farm implements. That's why those two "metal" weapons are allowed, because they are items that, thematically speaking, a druid would be accustomed to using.
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Regardless of the reasoning, I'm sure the OP wants suggestions that fall within the RAW.