New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1162 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DougTheHead View Post
    Geez, every single time we get a new detail about Sigdi's "family," it gets dusty in here. Really going to need to ask the janitorial staff about that...

There's something that's just beautiful about Sigdi's story, and powerful in a way the really important myths are. The idea that one woman takes a group of people who were at the very dregs of their society, people who, for one reason or another, had no one, in a highly-tribal society where family connections were everything, and gave them another chance at life... and they, in turn, chose to be her new family... all without knowing anything about each other, with no motive other than the idea that everyone deserves a family.

For whatever reason, the selflessness and grace inherent in that idea makes me choke up a lot more than "sad" scenes do.
    Yeah, that's some mighty tasty insight there. To crib a little from The Good Place, one of the Dwarven ideas of duty (especially as expressed by Sigdi and her newfound family) seems to be "What do we owe to each other?"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    [snip the usual bull****]
    No wonder you defend her, because you are the exact same type of person as Hilgya. Psychopaths will see other psychopaths as perfectly rational, after all. Your reaction to everyone around you finding you objectionable is "There must be something wrong with them, not me! I'm so misunderstood! That legitimizes anything I want to do to them as 'revenge'! Whee!"

Al lwe know about Hilgya's family comes from her one-sided rants. The one exception is the flashback to her husband that the Giant threw in, which directly contradicted Hilgya's claims; which was exactly the point, by showing us the difference between the reality and her interpretation of it for dark comedy.

You apparently admire her for having "strong convictions". Guess what, fanatics and people with paranoid delusions (just to name some examples) all have strong convictions, because their world view is in a closed loop, but that doesn't make their opinions automatically correct if they are built upon false premises.

When people like Hilgya have children, they will inevitably try to indoctrinate their children into the same delusion ("Mommy knows best."), while isolating them from society around them ("We can only trust each other!") the way cults do. And if the child tries to leave, they become angry at the child's "betrayal".
    Quote Originally Posted by Sardia View Post
    Well, if you spent the main part of your career seeing ungodly monstrosities, violations of the laws of physics, occasionally coming back from the dead, being attacked by creatures natural and unnatural, chased by things a hundred times your size, etc, etc...I'd see the need for some stress release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Attilargh View Post
    "Laughter", while a necessary part of the word "manslaughter", is considered poor taste when committing the act itself.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Don’t feed the troll.

Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Pixie in the Playground

Sigdi... Sigdi convinced Hilgya to leave Kudzu at the temple?!?

...she gets more badass every time she does something.

Also: vamps gon' get dunked on.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tobrian View Post
    Al lwe know about Hilgya's family comes from her one-sided rants.
    There was literally an image of a member of the Firehelms pointing a crossbow at Hilgya in order to force her to marry Ivan. The Giant confirmed that it was true.

And, again: respecting *all authority* got several places in some really hot water. I mean, for all we know, the dwarf that tried to hand Hilgya over like property to Moron was just... You know. Doing his job.

Following orders.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Don’t feed the troll.

And I have no idea what the forum equivalent of throwing acid at it would be. The occasional snide remark, I guess?
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This is just one of my favorite comic updates ever. Not just in OotS, but in all web comics I have ever read. It is just too damn good! That's all I'm here to say.
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    And I have no idea what the forum equivalent of throwing acid at it would be. The occasional snide remark, I guess?
    Don’t feed the troll.

Get with the program. This isn't me saying Hilgya slaughtering the sex trafficking ring that raised her would be justified, this is random guy shouting at me while claiming the abuse that the author states happened did not.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-04-29 at 02:00 PM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Barbarian in the Playground

Theory: the wooly-haired bard with the brown hair is a student of either Thirden/"Squeaky" or Janna/"Squawky" (I'mma stickin' to that nickname 'till it stops amusing me, which will be never). I nickname him "Shrieky".

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    That’s what the triangle at the bottom left of each post is. Don’t worry, it’s a scroll so you should be able to use it even if you’re not cool enough to be a wizard like me.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

That’s what the triangle at the bottom left of each post is. Don’t worry, it’s a scroll so you should be able to use it even if you’re not cool enough to be a wizard like me.
    Well, I thought about using it against the guy calling me a psychopath for defending a victim of a sex trafficking ring that was smart enough to destroy it, but I'm in a good mood.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Also, how does Sigdi look THAT badass?
    because Sigdi is awesome, and going to ruin everything in a way no one expect: Clanmother's Veto
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

if you feel you should do it, then do it and don’t engage further by telling us you’ve done it. If you feel you shouldn’t do it then don’t do it and commit to it by not bringing doing it.

We are not the mods.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

You know what they say, you never know how good you have it until you don't have it anymore.
    And now I realize how good we had it when Hilgya didn't appear in the previous few strips.
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2019-04-29 at 02:11 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That is a lot of reinforcements.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

if you feel you should do it, then do it and don’t engage further by telling us you’ve done it. If you feel you shouldn’t do it then don’t do it and commit to it by not bringing doing it.

We are not the mods.
    You brought it up. And this time I wasn't even defending that Hilgya do anything past what she did to the sex traffickers. Or were you indirectly calling the other guy a troll, and not me?

17. - Top - End - #167

We've got several unnamed characters to speculate about, and yet here we are talking about Hilgya again, like we have for the last 57 comics, and I, for one, am sick of it.

Forum oldies, was this what it was like during the Miko years? How have you not gone insane and uijhnuyuyjhfgvfgvbn bn m nb bn b b
    b buyjhn

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

I have just realized something... the vampires may have missed a very important thing...

The defensive measures of the council hall would strike down anybody who attacks somebody else inside... but the OotS has a ton of dwarven allies eager to die fighting heroically now...

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I think I'm going to sig that.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari

20. - Top - End - #170
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    I have just realized something... the vampires may have missed a very important thing...

The defensive measures of the council hall would strike down anybody who attacks somebody else inside... but the OotS has a ton of dwarven allies eager to die fighting heroically now...
    Funny thing - in D&D, petrifaction doesn't actually kill you.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NihhusHuotAliro View Post
    We've got several unnamed characters to speculate about, and yet here we are talking about Hilgya again, like we have for the last 57 comics, and I, for one, am sick of it.

Forum oldies, was this what it was like during the Miko years? How have you not gone insane and uijhnuyuyjhfgvfgvbn bn m nb bn b b
    b buyjhn
    Well, if only everyone could agree on the absolute truth that forced marriage is and will always be completely wrong and that it entitles the victim to redress, we'd not be in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    You keep using that word. It does not mean what you pretend/claim it means.

Grey Wolf
    That Ivan did not do it doesn't mean they didn't (try to) make her available. If one sells, say, drugs and the guy doesn't use them, they're still a drug dealer.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-04-29 at 02:22 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Take heart: dying in battle saving a family member? What Dwarf wouldn't want to go out like that? That's, I imagine, partly why ALL of them came: Even if they die, they'll die swinging. Remember, to a Dwarf, dying at age 350, after a long and happy life, is the worst fate imaginable: The fact that you lived that long is a failure, because it means you never took the risks from which heroism is born.
    Am I missing something? As far as I can tell, dwarves don't have to die heroically. They have to die honorably, in battle. There's nothing wrong with living to 350, attacking a tree root and having a heart attack.

I might have missed a long discussion in various threads about this, of course ;)

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Wow it great to see Minrah alive again. And to see them and their families fully repay Sigdi back and then some for what she did for them all those years ago.

24. - Top - End - #174

Don’t feed the troll.

Said so a looooong time ago =)
    But good joke with the flames :-D

I never noticed that one.
    And promptly clicked on the one below your post.
    Whoopsies :-)
    I think it only sends if you fill out the textbox in the following page, so I think nothing happened. :-)
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedTeller View Post
    Am I missing something? As far as I can tell, dwarves don't have to die heroically. They have to die honorably, in battle. There's nothing wrong with living to 350, attacking a tree root and having a heart attack.

I might have missed a long discussion in various threads about this, of course ;)
    If there was a call to help all of Dwarvenkind, you ignore it and then all of Dwarvenkind die with no chance to fight a tree (because they have also died), then you go to Hel.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

You brought it up. And this time I wasn't even defending that Hilgya do anything past what she did to the sex traffickers. Or were you indirectly calling the other guy a troll, and not me?
    You are not a troll. You are looking for a fight; I used a well known sentence to express my meaning and set up a pun. I was asked what was useful against a troll/other poor behaviour / continuing on the pun and kept going in the same vein. I have not claimed that anyone should be reported here and have not reported anyone because I don’t think anyone has been too far just yet. If I choose to report someone I won’t brag about it and if I don’t I won’t gaslight (is that the right word? Or maybe something with passive-aggressiveness) them about it either. As for wether Tobrian or you were the monster in my analogy... was Victor Frankenstein or the Creature the the monster?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    I think I'm going to sig that.
    I’d be honoured. Glad you liked it.
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

was Victor Frankenstein or the Creature the monster?
    Well, it's the 19th Century there, so everyone is. :P

28. - Top - End - #178
    Colossus in the Playground

You are not a troll. You are looking for a fight;
    I believe that is the definition of trolling, actually: posting specifically to evoke an angry response.

For example, if Rich had actually written Hilgya shutting down a sex trafficking ring, I doubt very much the Weirdo would repeat that she did anywhere near as many times as he has stated that as it is.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    good joke with the flames :-D
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    I never noticed that one.
    And promptly clicked on the one below your post.
    Whoopsies :-)
    I think it only sends if you fill out the textbox in the following page, so I think nothing happened. :-)
    Like I said it’s a scroll.
    I didn’t think that far into the joke but I’m rolling with it now. Bask in my brilliance!

Also go read the forum rules, they point it out.
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #180

Well, it's the 19th Century there, so everyone is. :P
    jhmnn bn

-snaps out of insanity-

Oi! I have ancestors from the 19th century! Don't talk smack about my great-grandparents' great-grandparents!

How in the world can you just throw all of that humanity under the bus? How can it please you, a human, to call humanity so base? And when those generations aren't even around to defend themselves nb n jhnyjhnhgbjhngtbhjmnkjhmngvb bn bn bn bn bnbn bvbb
    Last edited by NihhusHuotAliro; 2019-04-29 at 02:44 PM.